Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,868
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Ratings: 6,129 | Reviews: 1,102

just an all time great beer right here. Roasted malts, coffee and bourbon barrel in perfect harmony.

2011 Bomber poured into my CBS Sniffer
A: Jet Black with a brown head that quickly fades.
S: Bourbon and coffee notes, quite epic.
T: So many flavors. First the Bourbon which develops, then caramel which changes over the course of the development and finally a coffee finish.
M: Same as taste, absolutely amazing. It feels like a great bourbon after some time.
O:Every taste is the same, it doesn't fade off. Need more, best beer I’ve ever had. A+

And I thought the stout was amazing. Wow. Definitely deserves the rating.

Poured jet black. Small head that lingered the entire way. Tons of coffee on the nose. Smells fresh. Like it was just brewed now. Such an amazing nose. Taste is coffee heavy, but there's the underlining stout. Bourbon at the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and full, and amazing. Overall, this blows Vanilla away. Just amazing. The coffee is unlike anything I've ever tasted. So full, so fresh. Amazing stout. The barrel aging does add a complexity, but it's the coffee that makes this beer. Just overwhelming. My wife isn't a stout lover at all, but she's a coffee lover, and she loved this beer. Cannot stress enough how much coffee is in this beer. Very awesome, perfect scores for sure. Good job GI!

From a good man (Ryan) who scored a 1/16 barrel @ The Cellar, Downers Grove..thanks!

Appearance neat and clean with trace carbonation.

Coffee mainstage with cocoa nib and vanilla on backup.

Silky smooth with a velvety dark cocoa afterglow. Splendid alcohol heat providing good comfort. GI at it's finest.

Keeping it simple folks, really the buck stops here...best in show! IMO the best coffee stout in North America. GI, hands down, has set the benchmark for greatness. Priveleged to obtain on-tap.

I've been reviewing beers on this website for 8 years now with 1,544 reviews and this is my FIRST beer that I have rated a perfect 5.0. I can go back and forth with Bourbon County Barleywine and Stout debating which is better. They are both great in their own unique ways. However, Bourbon County Coffee Stout is on another level. This beer is damn perfect with a ton of coffee and bourbon notes in the aroma and taste to go along with roasted malts. Overall, this has to be my favorite beer I've every tried. HIGHLY recommended! Cheers!

Look- Black as the midnight sky 20 years after the Zombie Apocalypse.

Smell- That sweet, roasty coffee that puts that happy feeling in you heart. Great Bourbon and oak that make you say Oooooo WEEE!

Taste- That coffee is the truth. It cannot lie no matter how much it wants to.

Feel- So creamy and smooth. Almost as good as the first time ;)

Overall- Halfway through I had to take to bed and show it proper loving. This is one you take home to Mom.

This Bourbon County was quite elusive until a couple weeks ago when I was able to have it on tap. Delicious, wish I could have bought some bottles.

Superb brew. Best of the variants I've had.

Poured into a tulip.

A - pitch black with half inch of light brown head.

S - coffee and bourbon.

T - This is glorious! Coffee, bourbon, chocolate, caramel and vanilla. Well balanced. Nothing is overpowering.

M - moderate carbonation. Smooth, oh so smooth.

D - very drinkable. Perfect all around. This has to be my favorite stout.

12 oz bottle. I'd just missed this beer so many times that I couldn't contain myself when I got it. Anyway, this pours a pitch black color, barely any head or carbonation. The smell is strong with chocolate, coffee, and a good amount of booze. The taste brings all of the flavors together - starts with coffee and chocolate and finishes with vanilla and oak. No flavor really dominates, which makes this really smooth and drinkable. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers ever. It's a truly magnificent creation

22 oz. Bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a pitch black (dark as night) with a very, very thin mocha/tan colored head. Lacing is very minimal. Overall very pleasing to the eye.

S: Heavy bourbon smell with a small amount of what I can only describe as a very crisp and clean coffee smell, along with a very faint hint of oak and vanilla. As a side note... very similar to to regular Bourbon County Stouts except for the very pleasing hint of coffee. As it warms the coffee begins to come out a little bit more.

T: All I can say is wow. I will start off by saying that it is alot like regular BCS except much, much smoother. Due to the smell I thought there would be a huge bourbon bite in the front but this is not the case at all. The coffee is present but not overpowering. It still has the great oak taste and what also seems to be a very faint hint of vanilla, but all of the flavors combine to go down smooth as silk. It is both rich and complex. It definately lives up to the hype.

M: Very smooth, thick and creamy, with a small amount of carbonation. Again, the bourbon bite was no where near what I expected it to be.

D: Right now I am praying to the beer gods that Goose Island will make this a year round brew. If it weren't for the limited availability there would be almost nothing else in my cellar after tasting this.

I've never rated anything a 5.0. However, the 2013 BCBCS is best in class.

The beer pours deep black, chocolate-colored head that quickly dissipates, and a pungent chocolate-coffee aroma. The taste is dark and milk chocolate at the same time, intense coffee, burnt caramel sweetness, vanilla, tannin, and whiskey. The beer has a surprisingly light mouthfeel, and finishes with a bit of tannin and green apple.

BCBCS is the closest thing to perfection in the coffee stout style.

Not much more I can say about this beer that hasn't been said. I've had it fresh and every couple months since then and every time I'm still blown away. Awesome coffee bourbon bomb fresh and even 6 months later all those flavors are still there. Will save my last bottle to try at a year. Can't find anything to knock on so perfection for me.

Mouthfeel is full and coats your mouth with a rush of coffee, chocolate, chewy brownies, and a slight touch of Bourban. Alcohol is hidden so you would never think you were drinking a beer that comes in at almost 13%. World class and a beer that must be on every stout fans top 5.

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Appearance: BCBCS pours an extremely dark brown, bordering on midnight black, but has a surprising half finger of dark khaki, almost reddish head (a lot for a bourbon-finished imperial stout of 14.3% ABV). Carbonation keeps coming up off the bottom of the glass that is notable by the hot spring-esque bubbling at the top of the syrupy, viscous liquid. Loads of alcohol legs are present, which is absolutely expected. Maybe it is the rarity of this beer swaying this reviewer’s opinion, but this beer looks perfect both stylistically and just as a beer in general.

Aroma: Lots of bourbon sweetness mixes perfectly and thoroughly with fudge, brownies, baker’s chocolate, and, of course, fresh espresso/coffee. This beer smells impossibly good. No hops really come through, but the base beer also does not have any real hop profile. Vanilla is also present slightly. There is coffee bitterness, but this is mostly a sweet, sugary bomb; that is perfectly okay with this reviewer’s olfactory senses.

Taste: Vanilla, chocolate, caramel, toffee, boozy bourbon, and just a hint of coffee and espresso (that comes out more as the beer warms) are all here in spades, and the beer keeps this complexity in check fantastically so that all the flavors shine evenly and complement one another. There is very little bitterness to speak of whatsoever, except a slight coffee taste (which, again, comes out a lot more as the beer warms). There are overtones of brown sugar and burnt, roasty malts as well. More bitterness would help balance the beer, but honestly the developing nature of this beer (something present in nearly all great beers) overshadows any real problems.

Mouthfeel: Just syrupy enough to stick around the mouth, but not to the point that it is a struggle to put down. The moderate carbonation is a surprise, and a welcome one at that, because it keeps this beer impossibly drinkable for its ABV. The bourbon definitely warms the throat, but pleasantly so. This is a great complement to the taste.

Overall: It took a nearly a year, but I finally have my first perfectly scored beer. The only real fault that this elixir has is the lack of immediate bitterness to balance out the extreme (yet not cloying) sweetness. It improves upon 2012 BCBS in every way, and is simply as close to perfect in every way as is possible. If more of this is what will come of GI’s purchase by AB/InBev, I, for one, welcome our new macro overlords. 20/20

Poured from a 2013 12 oz bottle into a FW snifter.

A- Very dark brown/black with a half inch caramel colored head that faded quickly. I gotta say, that orange labeled bottle standing next to the black snifter of beer is sexy....

S- Chocolate...like my grandma used to make. Her fudge beat the hell out of store-bought shit...this aroma beats the hell out of any other beers....

T- Oh wow....Chocolate fudge drenched and dripping with bourbon...pure and simlpe...Heaven in a bottle....

M. Don't even notice it...

O- What else can I say...chocolate and bourbon...no heavy alcohol burn...just simple perfection in a beer...oh and chocolate too.

Had this on tap at Paddy Longs in Chicago about a week and a half ago.

The smell is absolutely fantastic. You immediately get coffee notes and then bourbon. Chocolate, toffee and caramel notes are also present.

Taste was what you would expect from a bourbon county brand stout. Amazing. So different from the past because they used edelweis coffee for this one and its such an improvement over past Bourbon County coffee. Taste was very similar to the smell. Boozy, but not that boozy. Loved it on tap

The mouth feel is very thick and consist of very little carbonation.

This is one of those beers that I always wished I had on tap and when I finally did I was blown away.

Highly recommend this brew.

#16
I'm a huge fan of aged BCS (18 months is my liking), not so much on the fresh stuff, so let's see how this infant compares...

Bomber poured into a snifter, 6-8oz at a time.

A: Pours PITCH black with just a hint of dark caramel head. Seems really thick and adhears to the sides of the glass with a 10w motor oil. Beautiful... 5.0

S: A huge rush of the most heavenly of scents; ground coffee, bourbon, sweet molasses...like a Bourbon version of a Bailey's Irish coffee. As I let this warm, I continued to salivate at the smell. 5.0

T: The bourbon, rich coffee bitterness, slight sweetness blend together seamlessly. The heat of a young BCS is completely hidden by the roasted Black Cat. The amount of richness and complexity is incredible. I can't believe how well done this is right off the shelf. 5.0

M/D: Once again, the smoothness of the mouthfeel, low carbonation, and longevity of the aftertaste complete this as the best beer I have ever had. Along with the possibility this could IMPROVE with age, this gets my 1st and only 5.0 until another beer comes along and makes me change my mind.

Find it, share it, savor it.

Cheers

I already know from my samples that I'm going to be very high on this beer, so here we go. Bomber, dated 3/25/10, poured into a small snifter.

I'm not sure what else you do with a 13% imperial stout. It's black, of course, but in this small glass it shows a lot of brown hues at the edges, giving it a bit more character, I suppose. I'd not be so inclined towards a 5.0 if the other aspects of the beer did not dwarf other beers. And by no means is it deficient here. Makes a pretty thin ring, and not much head retention. Not much of a crime. Actually, a very vigorous pour will solve that problem.

The aroma makes me giddy. Such a perfect blend of bold espresso and bourbon and chocolate cake. I don't think three things have ever went together so well. Phenomenal.

I'm searching for the 6.0 to choose. This is the best tasting beer I have ever had. I gave the regular BCS a 5.0, and this is even better with the addition of the espresso. It's a beautiful thing, and it just seems like the natural progression for the beer. The bourbon barrel aging presents a nice spicy oakiness on the finish especially. Espresso adds a bitter element that helps balance the huge sweetness. But fine espressos are rather sweet as well. This is like a rich chocolate cake soaked in espresso and bourbon. I may have went into more detail in my BCS review, but this is all that and more. Those who love that beer are likely to enjoy this even more.

So rich and viscous at first, but transforms into a velvety smooth beer. Carbonation is light and fine. I did not even think to look for the booze until a good few ounces in. Not hot at all.

And it just goes down so easy, and I want sip after sip, and if I had to pick one beer for ever and ever it would be this. I'm so glad I have never given a perfect score to any beer before, because none comes close to this. I first sampled this at WhiskyFest in Chicago, where there was no shortage of extraordinary beverages, and this one blew them out of the water. It helps that the alcohol presence is incredibly mild for a beer this strong. As someone who likes the regular BCS better fresh, I can't see enjoying this a great deal more with age. Glad I still have a few bottles to savor. Completely deserving of my first perfect score.

Poured into my Tulip glass from a 22oz bottle number 1423

A- Beautiful black color, there is some red, mahogany, garnet color at the top where the beer meets the glass, no head at all but i would expect that, alcohol legs, leaves a dark brown-red film on the glass after each sip

S- Huge coffee notes, but not overpowering you get the bourbon on the back end with out a doubt, chocolate, and toffee, It smells like gods coffee

T/M- The taste is amazing big bourbon note up front that are smoothed out by the coffee flavors, dark chocolate, and hints of vanilla in there, as it warms more and more flavor comes out cherry, rum soaked rasins, and a nice malt, this beer is constantly changing its outstanting, The mouth on this is something to write home about lol it coats the mouth and leaves a silky feeling, the carbonation that is there helps bring out the flavor, its a damn good beer

O- It amazing Goose Island did not let me down, i loved it and im glad to have another bottle in the cellar

Had this on tap at my local watering hole (Severna Park Taphouse). Actually, I had two of them. This is in the running as being one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

Was looking forward to this for some time and it did not disappoint. The smell was perfect. Coffee and a hint of bourbon. Taste and mouthfeel was perfection. Based on this gem I look forward to trying the other selections from Goose Island. If they are anything close to this I won't be disappointed.

(this review is from notes, early April 2010)

Poured out of a 22oz bottle in early April after allowing to sit for twenty minutes once removed from the fridge.

Appearance: Pours a silky black with slight caramel head. Very dark with slight brown coloration, evident in the quickly dissipating head.

Smell: Smells strongly of coffee beans, bourbon, and alcohol. Very aromatic and somewhat sweet aroma, similar to caramel or brown sugar.

Taste: Delicious combination of coffee beans, bourbon barrel, and alcohol. Vanilla is an off flavor from the base and bourbon aging. Alcohol not overbearing but definitely present. Taste the sweetness and coffee before tasting bourbon on the backside. After taste is a little boozy.

Mouthfeel: Just slight carbonation. Very smooth on the palate.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but due to alcohol content could only drink one, 22oz, at a time. Just slight warming to the throat and bourbon flavor resonates to the chest.

Overall this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted (out of near 400 different beers). It is both strong and flavorful and an excellent representation of an imperial stout. I would highly recommend this to anyone who can find it. I'm under the impression it's release was limited and that the beer was very hard to find. I grabbed two bottles for aging and will try them again in another year or two

The 2013 edition of BCBCS. What else I can say that thousands of BA users already haven't. The quintessential bourbon barrel aged coffee stout. An amazing BBA stout brewed with an awesome coffee could only yield a beer such as this. To put it in layman's terms: COFFEE BOMB

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.