Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 2,802
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010)
javlin624

07-20-2012 15:54:17 | More by bmcwood
TrueRates

Kentucky

2.38/5  rDev -49.1%

I truly was excited to try this beer. Anything that reaches the top 10 on BA is a must try. But this really is a massive disappointment. Choke the hype. This beer is almost more overly hyped than Patrick Rue's 18% bourbon RIS. The pour was expected. Gorgeous dark stout with tight mocha carbonation that disspated quickly. Best part about this beer for sure, however everything on was total crap. Aroma is straight bourbon. Nothing complex what so ever. At least bring some complexity into this. I thought this beer was brewed with top notch Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso. Taste is of more bourbon with slight creme'd sugar and lactose. Can I get some toasty malt or some hops in this, please? Taking another whiff of this, I get cheap vanilla extract with more milk chocolate (hence the lactoce again). The body is rich and full without any stickyness. Finish is one dimensional with bourbon straight through. I hardly want another sip. Luckily I'm splitting this beer with a friend or else I'd drain pour at least half the bottle. I'd say if one is looking for a coffee infused RIS done the right way, search out the Mikkeller Beer Geek Weasel (BA'ed one if you can find it).

06-01-2010 02:34:30 | More by TrueRates
steve423423

2.5/5  rDev -46.6%

02-13-2014 21:51:45 | More by steve423423
jacksippinstout

2.53/5  rDev -45.9%

I experienced this brew back in the winter of 2012. I was at a nice restaurant at Foxwoods Casino in Connecticut. This beer has very high ABV and I don't mind that, but my thoughts they didn't do a very good job hiding the alcohol. Much too strong for my liking as the alcohol takes away the flavors of the beer.

07-07-2013 17:15:48 | More by jacksippinstout
beerindex

Missouri

2.65/5  rDev -43.4%

Chuck D once told us not to believe the hype. I ought to have listened. This is a good beer, but it isn't the world class brew various members here would seem to suggest it is.

Appearance - Pitch black, with an adequate oatmeal head that dissipates a bit too quickly, leaving a relatively thick lacing.

Smell - Ground coffee dominates here, with mild hints of chocolate and bourbon.

Taste - Strongly alcoholic, in fact dominantly so. That it is bourbon-related is less than fully apparent, especially as compared to regular BCS. Coffee is noticeable, but weaker than it ought to be. A bit of molasses I think. Unspecifically sweet, in a cloying sort of way.

Mouthfeel - Thick, sticky, and extremely hot. Quite unpleasant in its extremity.

Drinkability - This is a one and done. And I don't just mean on a session basis. It was interesting to try, not something that I'd re-buy. It is just hard to drink something this hot, thick, and and sweet.

05-07-2010 04:11:29 | More by beerindex
Bonna

2.75/5  rDev -41.2%

04-19-2012 23:06:51 | More by Bonna
tr4nc3d

Kansas

2.85/5  rDev -39.1%

22oz bomber poured into my snifter

The appearance was opaque black with no light able to penetrate through this black beast of a stout. The pour produced a mere half inch head that was of a slightly light brown color. Poor head retention that was below average with no lacing either.

The aroma was strong in the bourbon department which almost overpowered the other aromas to shine through. Besides the bourbon being the dominate smell I got a decent amount of oak, molasses, tobacco, roasted malts on the charred side, black leather, and surprisingly the espresso is hardly noticeable.

The taste upfront was that of bourbon which pretty much hits your palette with a bang. Coming in is a sweetness with hints of black licorice, sugar, and dark chocolate. In the finish is where the espresso finally comes into play with a pretty intense alcohol heat and slight burn in the back.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with average carbonation. Alcohol burn lingers way beyond you have taken your sip.

Overall I was HUGELY disappointed with this beer. This beer is basically a Bourbon County Stout with added sweetness to it. The espresso in this beer hardly came through and needed to play a more dominate role, instead what you got was another bourbon bomb. If you truly want to try a good espresso based beer, I would rather recommend Great Divide-Espresso Oak Aged Yeti.

06-23-2010 17:10:12 | More by tr4nc3d
urwithdave

2.93/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured into my Cigar City Snifter.

A- Pours solid black. No light passes through at all. A fingers worth of a tannish head. Excellent retention and a solid amount of lacing.

S- Str8 up, in your grill, BOURBON. The charred malts and dark chocolate are present, but are supressed mainly by booze. I didn't pick up on any coffee at all.

T- Wow....I hate to say it, but I'm really disapointed. The bourbon is way to overpowering for me. Once again though the bourbon is just to hot. Weird because if I'm drinking liquor, I'm drinking Makers Mark, Gentleman Jack, or crown. Perhaps I should have chilled this brew a little longer before cracking it. I typicaly enjoy my stouts close to room temperature, so I had this just around room temp. The booze were just to much and it killed the other flavors in the beer. The only other thing I picked up on was the charred malts. No vanilla, no coffee, no chocolate. I really prefer regular BCS over this. I have one more bottle that I'm gonna let mellow out and I'll see what happens after some time has been put on this. I enjoy most BA stouts....I think this one just needs a little time.

M- Nice and creamy, but the heat from the booze killed it for me once again.

D- If you have read my review up to this point, you probably are going to guess what I'm going to say here...Yup u guessed it, just to boozey and hot. I'm anxious to revisit this brew in a year or so.

06-03-2010 08:34:14 | More by urwithdave
mulder1010

Australia

2.98/5  rDev -36.3%

Bomber poured into a snifter
Thanks to the following...Readbaron for the bottle, Spicelab for bring it back and supplying the bottle.

A-- Poured dark cola and settled black. A few gurgles of head here and there but otherwise just some ordinary bubbles that made up a thin collar.

S-- Oak, vanilla, bourbon and soft coffee. Not as big as CBS had. Very sweet nose. Alcohol very present.

T-- Devoured by sweetness and barrel. Waves of sugar just eat this up. More like diabetes on a barrel.

M-- Full, rich and low carbonation. Where is my insulin shot?? Just way above the top in sugar. Coffee is secondary as the sugar just attacks this beer and makes it overly sweet. Alcohol is quite obvious.

O-- Tough to drink and enjoy unless have had several beers already. Just a task to drink and overly massive for the sake of being massive. Will avoid the base beer when possible as too sweet for me.

04-02-2012 16:41:26 | More by mulder1010

hinghamhawkeye

02-17-2012 20:56:00 | More by hinghamhawkeye
JDV

06-25-2014 20:27:58 | More by JDV
Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.