Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

Added by BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

Reviews: 1,131 | Ratings: 6,716
1.75/5  rDev -61.8%

Shit was gross and infected. Had it five times from multiple cases and it was all gross. Tasted like yogurt and it was gnarly. Still waiting on my refund check and never got a shirt.

4.71/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black pour, deep black, light brown head on it, 1/4". Aroma can be a perfect 5. I find they actually age pretty well too.

Taste delivers a massive dose of coffee with a healthy amount of bourbon, mild oak, tons of chocolate malt and two row. Its a huge beer, but very enjoyable despite its heft. There's vanilla in there too. Very chewy, my favorite version of bourbon county. Sucks I heard they had an infection this year, but I didn't even bother, so I haven't had a compromised one.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

2011 BCBCS bomber cracked open last night poured in too bcbs snifter.

poured a nice thick black with a one finger khaki head that lingered for a couple minutes.|

smell was sweet bourbon with some coffee and vanilla, burbon almost smelled fresh as if the taste was going to be warm from the burbon alcohol.

taste was savory thick burbon and roasted malts up front, mid taste the coffee hits adding in a chocolate like qaulity that finishes with a sweet bourbon vanilla that lingers, cant wait to try the 2012 I have as well.

After GI reporting off flavors, I decided to crack my bottle of coffee hoping that the negative reviews were exaggerated. Well, to my disappointment they were not. The beer had an overwhelmingly sour taste that completely dominated the beer and made it undrinkable. Imagine a berliner stout. No bourbon flavor at all due to the intense sour notes.. I had to drain pour the entire bottle after a few sips. Disappointed with how GI handled the situation as well, with the unclear deadline for refunds. I will not be standing in line next year, that's for sure.

4.64/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pure coffee on the nose. The taste, when not infected, is like a creamy Irish coffee. I prefer Tree House's Double Shot to this one, but #2 coffee stout is pretty damn good in my book!

I got two bottles of the infected batches from 2015, this rating reflects both of these instances until I have an actual bottle that resembles that quality I have come to expect from Goose Island. Sorry mates.

3.8/5  rDev -17%

2010 bottle poured into my imperial stout glass.

Appearance- from a hardy pour this thing comes out like motor oil .Black in color. little head that dissipates quickly. leaves no lacing.

Smell- pure booze. booze and chocolate. not getting any coffee notes which is a bummer.

Taste- from the look and smell I was worried I've wasted five years aging this brew but the taste is prolly the best thing about this beer. you do get a heavy alcohol smack at first but then the chocolate comes in to make you feel all better. the coffee is well hidden. alil disappointing being a coffee stout but it's there. you really have to taste for it.

Mouthfeel- heavy bodied. like I said it was like pouring motor oil. carbonation is still holding on but another year or two it would be dead. really not too shabby for the age or style.

Drinkability- I can knock down this bomber no prob. glad i'm not drinking another one tho.

Overall- I wonder if this was fresher the coffee notes would be more pronounced but aged 5 years it's well hidden. still a good imperial coffee stout but for me I don't get the hype or would say this is something to queef over. good sipper but to me not worth the hype nor price. I remember paying 6 or 7 bucks for this bomber pre-Budweiser sellout.

4.31/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of the best beers I've had and the second best BCS variety I've had. In my opinion the vanilla rye is the superior product from this line. Had this coffee stout in a snifter. Wonderful nose, oily black and silky, plenty of boozy burn if you like that kind of thing (I love it!), but it finishes warm and smooth. Not harsh at all. Fantastic beer.

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2nd best version of BCBS that I've had. Love the coffee on this and always enjoy the heat of the higher alcohol from Bourbon County. Absolutely love this beer (2014 and 2013)

4.31/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Okay. Not great, not terrible. Not sure if it was infected or not because I literally drank it side by side with a sour (Farm to Face) so my. Has a nice mouthfeel, smell and taste are super chocolatey. Not much barrel or coffee flavor. Chocolate bomb.

4.46/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drinking this one and aging the rest. Poured into a snifter. 15.

Dark brown pour with a smaller head, some lacing. The look is average compared to other Stouts but it makes up for it in taste.

Smells boozy with chocolate. Roasted coffee and nutty and maybe a touch of vanilla.

Tastes great, a touch boozy, but the bourbon barrel is nice. It's not over done at all.

Mouth feel is medium bodied and smooth. Surprising smooth with the bourbon barrel.

Overall it's very good. Much easier to find now than previous years. I think a lot of bourbon Stouts are catching up to BCBS, but still a very good beer and worth putting in your cellar. Look forward to this one next year and seeing how it changes,

p- black with a tiny tan head
n- huge roasted coffee supported by nuts and vanilla; very inviting
t- fresh roasted coffee, choc, sweet nuttiness, and dark fruit; bourbon in the fin; so smooth, with mild-mod heat
mf- med-full bodied; med carb; perfect
o- one word- wow!

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bit boozy for me, but still pretty good. You must like coffee flavors if you drink this. Went through hell to get this beer but I'm surprised it is ranked so high. I like the Alesmith coffee stuff better personally but this is good.

4.37/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

An exceptional beer, especially it's color, aroma, and viscosity. For me, at least, this most recent release was a little thin on flavor and had a touch of sourness that weaker/poorer coffee does. Luckily the predominant flavors of the base beer took over after that. Still, overall I'd rather have the (more) common version.

2013 bottle, pours a midnight black with a thin dark espresso head. Strong bourbon/coffee aroma present still. Taste is amazingly balanced...bourbon, coffee, chocolate. Silky smooth with virtually all the abv hidden. Heard 2013 was one of the better years and this def lived up to the hype!

3.6/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2015 bottle. Date code: 17/SEP/15 1334 12.4% abv

Only got 1 bottle and debated whether or not to cellar. I'm glad I opened it, as this would have been a huge letdown given the high expectations for BCBS. Called and requested refund.

Did not have a gusher as some had reported but opened in the sink just in case. The pour looks nice with a quarter finger tan head that dissipates almost completely in about 10 seconds.
The nose is still very good. Vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon, although the coffee is subtle.

Unfortunately, the taste has got some very pronounced and inescapable sour notes, especially on the back end. I feel I may have gotten luckier than some on the extent of the lacto infection, although I'm afraid it may still be a partial drain-pour. I've been sipping on it for well over an hour and still have almost half the bottle left.

Overall, Goose Island gets some bonus points for offering refunds, but the bottled CoffeeStout and Barleywine should probably have never hit the market to begin with if any infection was suspected. That being said, I will still probably go hunting for the 2016 batch.

3.71/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Smells great, but..... .......Sourness of this year's chosen coffee does not suit this classic.
Oh well at least it's not infected. Very drinkable still

4.27/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A few folks have mentioned or alluded to the lack of coffee taste in this beer. I like this brew, but agree that any noticable coffee flavor was lacking. I had this beer on draft.

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tremendously thick, bold barrel flavors of vanilla and sweet molasses. Strong chocolate and coffee overtones, and a warm, slick close. Never surprised by the quality.

4.52/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

'14 bottle

Black as all get out with almost no head. Smells pretty similar to regular bourbon county with the exception of mild coffee. Very rich. Coffee is faintly present, so I'm sure this was way better fresh. Even without all the coffee this was an excellent beer.

4.51/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Jet black color. No head at all. Completely opaque.

Strong coffee and chili pepper aroma with subtle bourbon character.

Bold, dark roast coffee and baking chocolate. Sweet molasses and licorice. Smooth bourbon tones. Chili pepper spice. Cough syrup aftertaste.

Heavy, syrupy feel and texture. Low carbonation.

Good stuff. One of the better coffee stouts I've had.

2014 bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours jet black just like regular Bcbs

The smell is where the coffee differentiates itself from regular. The nose is outstanding. Still tons of coffee even after a year in the bottle. The first few minutes were overpowered by coffee in a good way.

Taste follows the nose quite well. Tons of coffee flavor in the first half of the glass. As it warmed up, more of the dark fruit and molasses flavors you would expect from regular started coming through. If I could have done it over, I would have drank the whole thing cold while the coffee flavors still overpowered everything else.

Mouthfeel is just what you would expect from and bcbs. Thick and chocolatey.

Overall, one of the best beers I have had. Will be fighting the lines in years to come to score bottles of coffee

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

2015 release, dated 9/17/15 1532, 12.4% ABV, 16.9oz bottle. Unfortunately, it was a bad bottle. Higher carbonation on the pour, thinner body, and the taste was sour cherry and salt. The head sizzled like a steak in a hot pan of oil. Had to drain pour it which was very disappointing. This has been a reoccurring problem with the 2015 BCBCS's and GI had to give refunds through February of 2016. I was able to call and get a refund with good customer service. Hoping for better quality control next year.

2013 release, dated 11/15/13. Enjoyed 1-1/2 years later. Pours black with a medium sized dark brown head; some lacing. Smells strongly of bourbon, coffee, and rich cocoa. The taste follows exactly, but in waves of complexity; first the bourbon, then the coffee, then the cocoa, with an amazing bittersweet finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and the carbonation is medium for the style. Not all that different from the regular BCBS. Definitely a world-class beer.

3.22/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Honestly I was very excited for this beer. I feel the coffee and bourbon was a huge clash. I poured out half the glass I drank. I love the original bcbs but this one I will pass on

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%

Booze and coffee. Nothing more to see here, awesome barrel notes, love the coffee, best to drink as fresh as possible, some of the older bottles I've tasted seemed to have lost some of the coffee.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.