Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,534
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

4.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 vintage...

A: Pours a deep silky black with only a tiny amount of dark tan head. The foam settles almost immediately, and there is no lacing left on the glass as it drinks. This beer has serious legs though, as the viscosity of this beer makes it stick to the glass.

S: The nose is malt, coffee, raisins, caramel, mild vanilla, and boozy bourbon heat. Smells good, but its a touch too sweet.

T: Right up front, I'm met with milk chocolate and raisins. The coffee notes in the beer are strong, and take over in the middle. The palate is coated, and as the beer transitions to the finish, I get vanilla and booze. Once again, it's a bit sweet for my tastes.

M: Full bodied beer. It's thick, smooth, velvety, and coats the palate. It lingers for quite some time, and it finishes smooth. The alcohol is evident, but it's subdued by the coffee notes.

O: This is really excellent beer. I have stated again and again that I like stouts with more of a burnt/roasty flavor to stouts that are sweet and stone fruit forward. The coffee in this beer cuts down on the raisin flavors of regular bourbon county, but it's still just too sweet for me to absolutely love this beer. But, with that said, I'd drink this again in a heartbeat.

4.25/5  rDev -9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -20%

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.61/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 Vintage

Being really picky on coffee blends, I didn't know how I'd rate this years batch of BCBCS. I wasn't a fan of last years at all as it was way too bitter and had more of a coffee ground taste. When I went searching for this years variants, I put coffee as least priority to find. This years batch consisted of a blend called "Los Immortales", and of course was provided by Intelligentsia.I received two bottles of coffee as my allotment at one store, and had it fresh.

A- Poured pitch black with a chocolate colored head that quickly receded. The edges of my glass allow some light to pass through the beer, which is dark brown in color. The beer is thick and clings to the side of my glass when I give it a swirl.

S- Sweet milk chocolate mixed with a smooth, mellow roast of coffee. Can definitely smell the alcohol, and is very intimidating with the booze. Extremely sweet smelling, and had hints of burnt sugar and roasted malts.

T- Initial chocolate and sugar rush, with lots of chocolate and an extremely smooth blend of coffee. A little bit of leather that ends with a little bite from the coffee. As stated, this blend of coffee is extremely tame and enjoyable for any coffee drinker. Can taste some of the heat as well but it is hidden very well with the complexity of the beer.

M- Low carbonation, high viscosity, warm feeling going down. Typical lovely BA'd stout.

O- I am extremely surprised how much I enjoy this beer. The coffee is extremely fantastic, but doesn't hold well. This is my second bottle of this years batch, and honestly I can already taste a difference from the last bottle I drank a few weeks ago. Drink it now! After my first bottle I had to find more, and was lucky to get a couple more 4pks. Lastly, for those who don't like coffee beers, you may not enjoy this beer but I feel like you would be able to appreciate a taste and how complex this beer is without being overburdened by the coffee like prior years.

4.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.