Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 4,066
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 6,340
4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2014 bottle.

Much coffee on the nose and the initial taste is similar, then quickly gives way to the bourbon. Warmed to near room temp and this didn't change it much.

4.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2/15/15 - Another excellent Bourbon County - I liked this even more than the standard stout. Poured thick, with an excellent aroma of coffee and a hint of chocolate and fruit. Great taste, and loved the carbonated feel, the strength of the taste and alcohol. Strong, but easy to drink. Not as bitter as the standard stout, I will definitely seek out this version, and I look forward to trying others in this great line of beers! Well done Goose Island!!!

Look- Black as the midnight sky 20 years after the Zombie Apocalypse.

Smell- That sweet, roasty coffee that puts that happy feeling in you heart. Great Bourbon and oak that make you say Oooooo WEEE!

Taste- That coffee is the truth. It cannot lie no matter how much it wants to.

Feel- So creamy and smooth. Almost as good as the first time ;)

Overall- Halfway through I had to take to bed and show it proper loving. This is one you take home to Mom.

I stepped into it 2 weeks ago when someone got me a growler of BCBCS. It is the best coffee stout and probably beer of all types I've had. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to find more!

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge barrel character comes directly to the fore, but intense coffee and chocolate stand up to the barrel and combine for a well balanced yet potent masterpiece of a beer. Dark fruit comes into the mix as it warms. The coffee bitterness is a nice complement to the sweet, vanilla bourbon of the base beer.

2013 vintage, at a pub in Illinois, served from the bottle into a snifter at just below room temperature.

A: Black, no light on the edges. Medium carbonation that dissipates quickly.
S: Molasses, coffee, dark chocolate, slightly boozy
T: Dark chocolate chased by strong coffee aftertaste
M: Coats your mouth and chocolate/coffee flavors linger after every sip
O: Amazing. I was lucky to try one of these and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Nicely balanced but still very bold in flavor.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

2014 tasted on 2/3/15 at Link's in Chicago, 9 oz. pour in a snifter. I am a fan of bourbon and stouts, so this line up from GI suits me well. The Coffee Stout lives up to all the hype for me. It has a better balance overall than the regular BCBS (which I like as well). I like that the coffee taste does not overpower, it seems to offset some of the sweetness of the regular BCBS. Highly recommend!

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Although I don't like stouts, you can appreciate the amount of work that went into this beer. The coffee mixed in was amazing and it definitely is a sipper, I'm sure if you like coffee stout you will love this.

2014 release, tasted on 1-9-15. While this is still a nice BA beer, I was unable to discern any coffee(smell or taste), so was disappointing in that regards. Leads me to assume that for the coffee aspect, this is best fresh.

4.86/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Incredible beer. I personally like the coffee stout more then the original bourbon county. Of course smell of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, aged bourbon. Tasted incredible, just enough coffee to blow your taste buds. The high alcohol is hidden. Overall the beer was delicious all the way through, 10/10

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best coffee stout I have ever had. No doubt!

Appearance: Dark as night no light at all. Like the regular BCBS basically no head at all, which is the hit for points.

Smell: Coffee dominant, booze but not overly so, very well balanced coffee stout, best in the world hard to say but definitely one of the better ones.

Taste: Very well balanced. This beer can give you the balance of stout and coffee and nice blend of coffee for sure. Not too booze forward, but it is solid for sure. Nice creamy mouthfeel which add's to the flavor profile.

Overall: This is probably the best coffee stout I have had I wish I had access to more!

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

I was lucky enough to grab three samples of this at Brrfest this weekend. Totally lives up To hype. Top 3 beers I've ever had! My wife even enjoyed.

Found this on tap finally. You get a strong roasted coffee aroma. Reminds me of the old percolator coffee pots I had growing up. It gives off that certain fresh strong coffee smell. The taste is fresh brewed coffee. Hints of oak and coffee grounds. Smooth bourbon finish but not to sweet. Amazing.

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Even after 5 years, the coffee is noticeable. Age has melded the flavors nicely. Still an incredible depth of malt character, with loads of chocolate and roast malt, accompanied by dark fruit.

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to a very generous fellow BA I got this (2013) as an extra in a trade. Pours a pitch black with very little head and even smaller amount of lacing. I do feel as if the coffee flavor had faded a bit but the taste was still a very smooth, sweet malt, dark fruit,toffee,molasses, and a hint of milk chocolate. No heat and a little oily but very enjoyable. The taste of this was very similar to Parabola. Love this and need to find more.

4.81/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

On tap at the Pine Box, Seattle. I had this alongside Abraxas and Berserker, as part of their Strong Ale Fest, and it was interesting to compare these three Imperial Stouts. At first taste, the BCBCS seemed a little in the shadow of the other two beers, both of which have quite a few more strong flavors competing for your attention. But over a forty-five minute time drinking all three beers, BCBCS really came to the fore. It's so smooth, so perfectly balanced. It's just the right combination of an incredible stout, with coffee, vanilla, and whisky flavors all blended together harmoniously. It's got a quiet intensity and great depth. At the end, my wife and I both agreed that it was our favorite among these three exceptional stouts.

4.41/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm not a huge fan of stouts, porters etc. so it's hard for me to be completely objective. I definitely see this beer has something special about it. I guess it could sweep you off your feet if it was on draught. I had it in a bottle. I thought it was a very good beer, but I would be surprised if someone told me it's # 2 on the list. Goes to show you, what do I know.

1.84/5  rDev -60%

I have had this the past two years and still don't understand the rave about it. It's to maltie! Maybe I need to let it sit longer. Don't know but for the price I can name two dozen beers I would rather have.

4.66/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft @ Harry's Hofbrau RWC on 1/9/15. Aroma of predominantly coffee with booze, hints of roasted malt and vanilla. Pleasant mouthfeel and tastes of coffee, roasted malt, bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla. Very solid for the style…could drink several more of these.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker so I was not sure how much I would enjoy this extremely coffee-forward BA stout. To my surprise, the taste surpassed BCBS. This is almost a perfect beer in my opinion, its too bad it is so hard to come by.

4.24/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Is this really the #2 beer on BA right now. Wow. It's good, but there are a whole hell of a lot of beers I'd rather have than this one. It tastes like coffee and bourbon. Watch out.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Last of the Bourbon County beers that I had acquired. Here goes:

A: As always, this is the only subpar aspect of the BC beers. Pours thick black but with minimal head, carbonation, and lacing. Just "meh."

S: Probably the best of the series. Tons of oaken vanilla, as always, but this one has a lot more chocolate and coffee bean notes. Those additional scents really go well with the vanilla.

T: Again, like the other beers of the series, this one is quite good. Tons of vanilla, roasted coffee beans (however, not too bitter like in other coffee stouts), and a lot of sweet chocolate. More creamy than the other beers in the series.

F: Nice, thick, and sticky. Good.

O: Great beer.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

Wow. This was my first and hopefully not my last. I was prepared for this to be over hyped, but it's not. This beer takes the extremes of the beer world and mashes them together. Imagine a cross between the sweetness and creaminess of a really good milk stout with the viscosity and complexity of a Russian imperial stout. That is BCBCS. Flavor was deep, sweet, rich, oaky bourbon, tons of chocolate, vanilla and coffee. Perhaps there was a hint of amaretto too. Incredibly complex. The texture was oily, thick, and barely carbonated. I split a 12oz bottle with 3 friends and it was incredibly satisfying. I could have drank a little more, but the full bottle would have been too much for me. I need more of this stuff.

4.39/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle spit between four samplers. Entered from notes of 12/28/14.

Color is nearly black with a minimal tan head coating the surface. Semi-sticky lacing. Smell is dark roasted coffee, anise, booze and dark fruit. Flavor is coffee on the palate with a blast of chocolate. I didn't initially pick up on the chocolate on the nose. I also taste anise, bourbon/booze and dark fruit as I swirl it around in my mouth. It's very good. Body is medium with mild carbonation leading to a very creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, it's an excellent BA stout and lives up to the hype.

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first experience with this beer was the 2013 vintage, sampled alongside Boubon County Brand Stout 2013.

The second was a 2014 bottle, consumed recently.

Side by side with BCBS, BCBCS loses out by a small margin, but perhaps just because the coffee had faded just a bit too much.

The newer bottle beat out all others it faced in a recent tasting by a considerable margin. It was pretty terrific.

In the future, my rule will be to drink the coffee "fresh" (within a year) while cellaring the regular stout for a couple of years.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.