Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout | Goose Island Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans

Added by BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

Reviews: 1,138 | Ratings: 6,744
4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Shared from weibull or brianthebrewer23 at our bottleshare.

Poured motor oil black with a little bit of head.

the aroma is just amazing! so much coffee and bourbon floating around each other with a bit of vanilla in the very back.

the taste is just fantastic. just like the nose leads to. Tons of coffee in the front followed by dark roasted semi bitter malts. finishes with a just strong enough bourban kick and leaves you with a nice vanilla finish in the mouth!

One of my favorite beers I have ever had!

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%

A- a nice dark black coffee like look.

S- The smell of bourbon and coffee .

T- The taste of coffee and bourbon and alittle bittersweet like chocolate.

M- semi-dry and very creamy the bourbon and coffee linger throughout the sip.

D- First Goose Island and very tasty. Must drink again.

Cheers...

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Believe it or not this was an EXTRA sent to me by AleWatcher. Talk about generosity, this was my highest want since it came out.

A- This beer looks really thick. It barely lets any bubbles through. Only a thin dark red cap forms. It fades quickly. No lacing.

S- JEEEEZUUSSS! Let this one warm up a few degrees (my fridge is set way too low) and you are greeted with an orgasmic blend of smooth, refined bourbon, silky vanilla, rustic oak, decadent chocolate, energetic espresso beans, lively berries like currants and classic licorice.

T- Seriously one of the best beers Ive ever tasted. This is right down my alley. Big tastes of hype and rarity. Dark chocolate is HUGE. This beer is creamy as hell with a sweet milkiness, silky smooth vanilla and potent espresso. Bourbon comes around on the end and provides a strong alcohol kick.

M- One of the thickest beers out there. That paired with the low carbonation makes for a truly insane creaminess. Any boozy warmth comes so easily because of the silkiness of this beer's body.

D- 13% never went down so fast. I split this bomber and found that Im going to need about a case of this stuff.

This beer in one word: Consummate.

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%

A lot of Beer Advocates compare this brew to the likes of KBS. I'm here to express my opinion on the two, both of which I have just recently sampled.

A: Poured into my pint glass this Stout pours a wonderful twilight black. The head is about an inch thick and is quick dissipate. With the high ABV of this amazing brew, I'm not gonna knock points based on the head. It's important to note, that appearance wise I have seen better (darker), but it's just so close to perfect I have to give it a 5.

S: Unlike KBS BCBCS is more of a coffee laced with bourbon than a bourbon laced with coffee dominate nose. Fresh, this brew has much more chocolate notes compared to KBS. This stout is mouth watering. Along with KBS, I rate this nose a 5. KBS has more Bourbon, BCBCS has more espresso and chocolate. Whichever you prefer will float your boat. Personally I just love both.

T: The flavor is dominate chocolate with espresso. The bourbon is present in a big way, but not dominate. Chocolate really tends to linger here, this really is a perfect desert beer.

MF: Viscous, very very viscous, superior compared to KBS, who's MF is a little watered down (drinks more like bourbon at times). Carbonation is a little light, but this brew is very smooth. I'm almost tempted to rate BCBCS a 5.0.

D: Drinkability is excellent considering the ABV, although it's hard to make it trough a whole bomber.

Overall, this brew is almost the perfect stout. I may have rated it the same as KBS, but I still hold KBS as my personal favorite. Thanks Augustiner719

4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

22 ounce bottle in snifter

A: black, no head, small lacing

S: aromatic, coffee, caramel, Chocolate, burbon, oak, Mouth Watering

T: coffee, Toffee, vanilla, burbon, Alcohol,

M: mild carbonation, lingering, bitter coffee, sweet toffee then booze finish everything out rich as hell.

D: this one is was made to savor. one bomber and a relaxing night.

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. It poured pitch black with a thin mocha head to it concentrated around the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a fantastic mix of flavors. Bourbon, oak, vanilla all really come through much like the regular Bourbon County. A sweet, chocolaty toffee flavor helps balance out the roasty coffee flavors. The coffee is a bit milder then I anticipated.

The taste really shows off the bourbon and barrel characteristics nicely without dominating the flavors. Dark chocolate comes through followed by a roasted coffee bitterness in the finish. It has so many flavors working for it and they all work together so well.

The mouthfeel is thick and silky smooth. Carbonation is moderate to low. Drinkability is very good, it has such a great mix of flavors to it. As good as the regular Bourbon County is this one is better. The bitter coffee really helps balance out all the sweetness in it. Fantastic beer overall and one of, if not the best barrel aged stouts I've had.

4.37/5  rDev -4.6%

Big thanks to thedominator for sending this in a recent trade.

Bottled 03/26/10 - my sister's birthday! Cheers to sisters.

Left out to warm from the fridge and served into my Watou glass.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, or BCBCS, pours an espresso black color. It's all but black with a crema-like head.

Aroma is very powerful, just like the straight bourbon version. I can smell the coffee but what I wasn't prepared for was the oaky bourbon notes. Maybe I should have read the label more carefully - "Stout aged in bourbon barrels with coffee added." So Bob's your uncle.

Flavor is wonderfully complex and layered in its delivery. Sweet with vanilla up front, I then get the dark roasty malts that deliver a punch of coffee and chocolate. As I let it sit in my mouth, the bourbon comes on with force. The alcohol is as strong as the 13% would suggest. Oak in the form of vanilla, dark chocolate, molasses, and caramel.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, no question, and low in carbonation. The burn is evident in the mouth and on the way down. My gut is nicely warmed after just a few sips.

Overall, it still maintains its bourbon qualities. So much, in fact, that it doesn't seem all that different from the standard (non-caffinated) version. I was really hoping that the BCBCS would showcase the coffee in a more pronounced way. In that sense, it's a little disappointing but overall still a fantastic beer.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Poured from bottle into tulip.
Bottled on 3/26/10

A: Completely black with a tan head and plenty of carbonation. Heavy lacing left behind with each sip.

S: Boozy bourbon and sweet malt with a touch of oak. No coffee here.

T: The gentleman I was drinking this with called it a "velvet coated sledgehammer". I would agree. Very sweet malt and bourbon boozy on the front end with an alcohol burn in your esophagus and bitterness attacking the sides of your tongue on the back end. I don't get straight-out coffee from this one, but I am sure it must have added something to the complexity.

M: Creamy with good carbonation, but the heat from the 13% ABV attacks.

D: One hit from the sledgehammer was enough for me.

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, big thanks to oakbluff for bringing along!

Pours an opaque dark brownish black, a touch of red in the corners, medium sized tan head forms and settles down to a medium ring, some lace spots stick, a bit of legginess, not too bad looking.

Smell is nice, huge coffee roast, chocolate wafers, toffee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, a touch fruity, some raisin, more roast, biscuit, more espresso, more vanilla, pretty intense aroma on this one.

Taste is nice too, big toffee and brown sugar sweetness up front, huge roast character, espresso and chocolate wafers, bourbon sweetness, vanilla beans, oak, more toffee, some alcohol, big roasty bitterness but balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, pretty chewy, with low carbonation, warmth going down. Pretty nice stuff, coffee lends a neat character to an already fantastic beer, but I may prefer the original more. Thanks Scotty!

4.1/5  rDev -10.5%

Bomber split with me, myself, and I and finished in a contented haze in front of a campfire by me, myself, and I. Ah, solitary holiday late night drinking.

Looks like a big stout

Reports of the coffee's demise are premature. Having had the regular BCS the night before, the coffee here really helps to smooth this beer out. Admittedly, I've liked but never really loved BCS. But here, the coffee helps to cut some of the bourbon heat while smoothing out the body and adding an extra layer of creaminess. Additionally, some waves of mocha and dark melted baker's chocolate make an appearance.

Mouthfeel is somewhat velvety with low carbonation.

A bomber by oneself can become somewhat of a chore, despite the wonderful interplay of flavors. After time, the sweetness of the coffee pushes to the forefront, making a big time sipper.

4.23/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Black body with Kahlua colored head.
S: Bourbon Oak chocolate coffee
T: Bourbon to oak to chocolate finishing with vanilla
M: Silky mouth feel
D: The beer is not very drinkable due to the oak monster and the overwhelming bourbon flavor as it warms. Overall glad I tried the beer but it needs more time to age. Its hot so if you have one age that shit. big thanks to TK5150 sharing this one with me

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

Big thanks to TCgoalie for this one. I am enjoying it on my 28th birthday.

This beer pours the classic huge stout all black, with a bit of deep amber showing around the edges. An aggressive pour yields almost no head, but the little ring of dark tan that is there leaves decent lace.

The aroma hits you smack in the nose with plenty of bourbon. Sweet roasty dark malts, vanilla laden oak and rich coffee are also present, but in the nose the bourbon rules the roost.

The flavor is a bit more balanced. Coffee and roasty dark malts mix with bourbon, vanilla and dark chocolate. The coffee tastes wonderfully rich, and the bourbon is nice and complex, with a pleasantly astringent factor added by all the dark malts. I am quite impressed at how well the vanilla notes show through from the oak.

The mouthfeel is full and somewhat chewy. It has a sticky and astringing finish that is not too bad for style, but not the best.

This is a sipper for sure, and hard not to compare to KBS. Overall KBS is definitely a superior brew, but this is a pretty tasty bourbon aged coffee stout that I would never turn down the chance to drink.

4.38/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to kstrickler for hooking this up in a trade!

A: Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black, capped by a finger and a half of foamy, mocha-colored head. The head settles down to about a half finger and holds steady there.

S: Blend of rich coffee and vanilla and bourbon up front. Strong caramel takes up a backing role along with some moderately sweet chocolate and light oak character.

T: Caramel and some light roasted malts up front, which give way to chocolate and a big coffee presence on the mid-palate. Bourbon comes in shortly after at a well-restrained level, providing extra complexity but not overtaking the other flavors. Long finish of vanilla, bourbon and coffee.

M: Just shy of full bodied with low carbonation, very smooth but a touch too thin.

D: The ABV is well hidden and the finish is long, pleasant and invites another sip. Awesome beer.

4.7/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Served in a snifter) bottled on 3/26/10 Thanks to Spica66 for this gem
A- The jet black body supports a thick creamy tan fizzy head that soon fades to a thick ring and trails down the glass with each sip.
S- The black espresso bean aroma is blended with a big bourbon aroma with some oaky hints. It seems to grow and grow with each sip.
T- The very rich chocolate malt blends with a dry rich toffee flavor and some caramel sweetness and charcoal come through aswell. There is a cream and bourbon flavor that grows and has some dark prune flavors with it. The finish is a blend of black malt bitter roasted grain and coffee with a bourbon boozy quality mixed in.
M- The medium-full mouthfeel has a gentle fizz that make the texture slightly slippery with a nice alcohol warming that grows as the beer warms.
D- This beer has great depth with big bourbon on top of a big stout that is all mellowed and unified by the espresso. The more I sip the more layers of flavor come through.

4.22/5  rDev -7.9%

Opaque black body with garnet hues visible around the slimmest edges when held to the light. Short one fine burnt sugar head recedes quicky leaving a slim ring. Lacing is minimal but not really expected.

Sweet caramel, vanilla a bourbon hit the nose up front. A deep roasted malt is evident but subdued in comparison to the sweeter aromas. The coffee aroma fails to live up to expectation. While the coffee is there it is extremely subtle.

I enjoyed this somewhat colder to start and the flavor evolved as it warmed. On the colder side a slight roastiness was overwhelmed by the much sweeter vanilla and caramel flavors. The bourbon was evident through out but not overwhelming. The coffee remains to be subtle and somewhat of an afterthought. As the beer warms a deep yet sweet cocoa flavor emerges with a light touch of molasses. The sweetness minimizes as the bourbons smooths out a bit. The coffee flavor is still subtle and nowhere close to slightly dominate as expected. While certainly a tasty beer, it is not what I expected.

Body is a bit thinner than the original BCS. BCBCS is still full bodied none the less. Carbonation is low but appropriate. Thick flavor leaves a long finish.

While a bomber is certainly more than enough, this is one I would go back to if not for the price. It was easy to enjoy and the booze was held in check. Very good beer and worth a look.

4.9/5  rDev +7%

A: Nice thick black beer with a tan head that lasts forever in the right glass.
S: Light espresso, vanilla, cocoa, bourbon, maybe some dark fruits hiding somewhere.
T: Big coffee flavor. Damn, this is a fantastic flavor profile. Full of vanilla and bourbon, tossed with dark chocolate. It reminds me of eating a bourbon soaked chocolate cake mixed with some tiramisu.
M: Full bodied, perfect carbonation (low), very warming. Very chewy!
D: This is the only place I could find any problems. It has so much alcohol, I think it slightly affects the drinkability. It really doesn't hurt it that much, but you can really tell there is some heat. I can still drink a whole bottle by myself.
I have to say, this is probably my new favorite imperial stout. I will now be seeking out more bottles, as I would like to see how it ages over the next year or two. I know some people were claiming the coffee is dying off fast. I find this to be a very false statement. The coffee level right now is perfect and still quite strong. I feel that this should still improve over the next couple years. Once some of the heat dies down, this beer will be perfect. I feel like this is the only hyped up imperial stout that truly deserves all the attention it gets.

4.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Sampled on 8-28-10
Bottled on 3-26-10

Pours completely pitch black, with a thin tan head that quickly fades. Lacing is one brown ring around the edge, that slides down the sides.

Smell is all intense malt, notes of molasses and anise all over the place, very sweet. The coffee is not as strong as I expected, with the bourbon adding a great accent. There's a nice aged quality, with a hit of alcohol at the very end. Strong, complex, and very good.

Taste is very sweet, almost sugary, followed by a big malty kick and light flavors of coffee and anise. Not nearly as complex as the smell leads you, and bordering on bland. The taste is redeemed by a great bourbon kick, adding the missing complexity. The finish is thick with malt sweetness and booze, with an earthy aftertaste. Disappointing from a coffee standpoint, but still very good.

Mouthfeel is very thick and slick, it coats the entire palate with big, malty flavors. Carbonation is on the low side contributing to the thickness.

Drinkability is surprisingly good, considering the high abv and huge, sweet flavors.

Overall, a great beer that just misses being one of my favorites.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Catching up on some old notes from awhile ago, normally I don't review things I had at beer fests'...but I got a solid sample (1/3 of a bottle) since I was in the trenches pouring all day in the hot sun.

A: Thick, creamy, and hellacious. The look alone demands repect. It has colors very dark black with some ever so mild deep brown hues. The head is the same, a slight glimmer of deep brown.

S: Amazing nose rich chocolate, vanilla, and some boozy bourbon.

I can only hope it taste as good as it smells...

T: Low and behold, it does! It has a perfect balance of all the things I smelled: vanilla, coffee, and chocolate...the boozy'ness is married well the other tastes.

M/D: The microbrewers fest in Indy was so unbearably hot, however, I could drink this all day, everyday. The fact I was sweating and sticky seemed to fade away after each sweet sip. The texture was amazing, rich and creamy but not over done. Bravo...

I think they use the Intellgentsia coffee company in Chicago, the same as Darklord?

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

This is the second time trying this beer, and I must say, it is much better that I remember.

A- An absolutely pitch inky black liquid that leaves a thick residue on the sides on the glass if swirled. The dark brown head is quick to rise and fall. If this had some head retention this would be perfect.

S- Fresh brewed cold coffee, bourbon, black cherries, chocolate cake, and a hint of alcohol. Very smooth and restrained.

T- Sweet dark chocolate, bourbon, coffee, black cherries, a bit of nuttiness, and just a hint of alcohol. I am amazed at how this beer unfolds on the palate. The bourbon is tame enough to allow some of the other flavors to make their presence known.

M- Oily smooth with just the slightest carbonation bite. The carbonation is active enough to keep the strong flavors from building on the palate too much.

D- Jesus Christ on a cracker. Absolutely stunning. It may be rich, but the alcohol is mildly noticeable and the carbonation keeps it right light enough on the palate. I am curious but skeptical as to what more time would do to this beer. My mind is blown. KBS has a rival.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours as black as night with a reddish tan head. Head disappears quickly leaving behind a small amount of lacing. This beer looks intimidating.

Holy bourbon! Just smacks you in the nose at first but quickly the coffee and chocolate and roasty goodness take over. This beer smells heavenly. The coffee comes through loud and clear here so if this beer has faded at all than I wish I tried it fresher.

Just insanely good. Lots of roasted coffee up front with some chocolate and hints of vanilla in there as well. The alcohol is present in the taste but I would not call it hot by any means. The flavors blend together so well and in such an intriguing way that I just want to savor and relish every mouth full. Finishes a bit on the bitter side from the coffee but still awesome.

The mouth-feel is thick, creamy and pleasant. Perfect amount of carbonation. For such a high ABV the alcohol is not as present as I would have believed. I would say the only thing that takes away from the drink-ability here would be the high ABV. After one bomber it was clear I would be on the floor if I attempted another.

Overall this beer is one of the best, if not the best Imperial Stout I have ever had. I would give it a slight edge over KBS, but just barely.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

From 22oz. bomber with 3/26/2010 date.

A: Pitch black, little head with vigorous pour, gone almost immediately after. Very little carbonation.

S: Bourbon, subtle chocolate notes.

T: Bam! Hits me in waves. Initially I get the bourbon, which quickly becomes an oaky-vanilla taste. Then I get a chewy, mouthful of chocolate. The taste continues after I swallow, and THEN the coffee hits me. WOW!

M: Chewy, thick, and creamy! Oh, I love it!

D: Wow. I only had half the bottle (wine stopper, plan to finish tomorrow night) but I could have easily polished it off! If it wasn't so hard to come by, I would reach for this any time I was in the mood for a BA stout.

To date, this has to be one of the best brews I've had. Hands-down. Can't wait to see what comes next in the BCS series...

3.72/5  rDev -18.8%

A - Black barrel-aged stout. More foam than regular BCBS, and seemingly a bit less viscous.

S - The nose is pretty nice; comprised of a good deal of Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, roast and of course coffee. The coffee is not huge or overwhelming, but it is present in respectable amounts. The thing is, the coffee doesn't seem to add much complexity (compared to the base BCBS) but it does seem to interfere with the aromatic constituents' ability to fully meld into a cohesive dynamic. So, as far as the nose goes, the coffee is a minus.

T - See above, "Smell:" Seriously, in addition the negative contribution of the coffee in terms of being a 'meld-blocker', it has also diminished the viscosity and worst of all it has disrupted the delicate and dynamic balance that allowed the booze to be so prominent. The vanilla aspect of the flavor seems to be more prominent than the coffee, in both an overall sense, and comparatively. BCBCS is a good tasting beer, make no mistake about that, but it is a step in the wrong direction when compared to the regular BCBS; the coffee-infused incarnation is comparatively too hot, less flavorful, less balanced and is basically missing the magically dynamic interplay of beer and barrel that is found in the original.

M - Thinner and hotter than it should be. Still, pretty good.

D - This beer is still a very good tasting libation overall, it just falls short when viewed against the original. Perhaps it will age well, though I am not sure the pungency of the coffee will survive an extended cellaring.

4.64/5  rDev +1.3%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to BlessedBeBeer for hooking me up with this. Had several samples of this the American Craft Beer Fest and have been wanting more ever since

A: Dark brown hue that sits motionless in the glass. There was a thin mocha head that rapidly turns into a ring

S: Basically smells like the regular version with some roasted coffee. Huge bourbon smell that is very inviting. Chocolate malt, vanilla, oak, nut, toffee and roasted coffee

T: Immediately after taking the first sip, I was worried I might have waited too long to drink this. Coffee flavor wasn't there. Clearly I jumped to conclusions as the finish was a beautiful creamy coffee flavor. So that's how it finished, what about how it started? Bourbon, vanilla and bitter chocolate all swirl together. Touch of alcohol, but really well hidden with all of the other flavors

M: Velvety smooth, super creamy with just a touch of tingly carbonation. Leaves a moderate roasted aftertaste

D: Goose Island took an already impressive beer and made it even better. Liked this a little more on tap - the coffee and bourbon came out a little more - but this is still a fantastic beer. Slow sipper and 22oz was ultimately a little too much in a sitting. I can only hope this is brewed again

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to a74gent for this bomber bottle. Steve, that Brute will be in the mail as soon as I'm back from vacation.

A: The stout is a glorious black color, no dark browns that appear black or deep caramel red to be found here. Resting atop the monstrosity is an off-white, slightly tanned, head that
sits as a thin band around the glass and a thin pool in the middle of it. No lacing here, too darn big.

S: This nose is just huge. Layer upon complex layer waft out. Sweet bourbon with vanilla and coconut is followed by bitter espresso with the burnt heft of an imperial stout lurking beneath it all. The bourbon is, by far, the dominant aspect of the nose, upsetting the apple cart balance-wise. Awesome nose nonetheless.

T: The relative lack of balance in the nose is quickly obliterated by a sip of this beer. Each flavor element is well-integrated, meshing seemlessly. In no particular order, stout flavors are murky and well-roasted. They add toast and charred flavors into the mix. Coffee is rich and full, roasted with an underlying sweet bitterness. Finally the bourbon, a hallmark of the Bourbon County series. It adds alcoholic heat along with sweet vanilla and coconut. A fantastic melding of flavors. The bourbon and stout are the strongest features, outdistancing the coffee. The finish is all bourbon, very hot, as though it just came out of the barrel.

M: The mouthfeel is, save for the boozy strength, a knock-out. The bourbon stands out, guiding the ale throughout the entire bottle. And what a great finish!

D: At 13%, I need a nap after finishing off the bomber. Despite the strength (and the punishment that would come in the morning), I'd gladly sip my way through another bomber if I had one.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

bottled on 3/26/10

poured from the bottle a deep dark chocolate brown / near black to a dogfish head signature glass with a very short lasting dark toffee brown head that leaves no lace and minimal retention. (second glass poured aggressively yielded a full finger head - though still zero retention)

sweet aroma of chocolate and dark espresso roast.

the first sips are so very sweet, the coffee perhaps has faded after four months (?), but it's still evident behind the dark chocolate.

smooth, slick and sweet, low carbonation - if there's coffee bitters, i sure can't detect them. what a nice beer.

drinkable - at 13%, i think i'll stick with the single bomber... but i'm not sharing.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.