Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,910
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Reviews: 1,034 | Hads: 6,164
4.84/5  rDev +5.7%

Somehow, I got a bottle of this. I think there was only 1 case in my town!! A 22 oz. bottle of this. It says it is aged in bourbon barrels and expresso is added. I also see it is number 3 on the list and anticipate this drink highly.

I poured it an got about 3/4 inch of a dark tan head. That head left a ring of bubbles which is easily stirred up but not much lacing. It poured very black brown and the body is opaque.

The nose is awesome. Boiled down coffee, whiskey, charred wood, roasted malt, caramel. This is a great beginning. This beer is one of the most appealing based on the smell I have ever had.

Taste: Well, I took a tiny sip and WOW did the flavors explode. It is loaded with coffee, sweetness, roasted malt and some bourbon undertones. The finish is pretty bitter, not sure if it is hops or the expresso.

The beer is very thick body and viscous. It actually tastes feels like it was boiled down or thickened, but that is part of the fine appeal of this classic brew. There is a nice little zip after you taste it. The flavors linger on the tongue for sometime. The alcohol does not overwhelm you. It is not up front but I am sure it will let me know as I drink this. This is definitely one of the best stouts I have had. This puts Goose Island on the map as one of the fine breweries of the world with this accomplishment. I can't say enough about this beer. Truly enjoyable with every sip, I mean small sip. (1,431 characters)

Truly a world-class brew. I can't think of any way to improve on this complex, flavorful, yet beautifully harmonized beer. I don't remember having a beer stout than this.

A: Pours nice and thick, although not in the motor oil realm. Black with deep amber highlights at the edges if held up to some light. Surprisingly, it pours with a good sized light brown head which never fully dissipated for me.

S: Wonderfully balanced. Vanilla, deep chocolate malts, bourbon, and coffee all are present, though none are more prominent than any other. Great smelling beer.

T: The taste is as amazingly balanced as the smell. Considering how much is going on here, that's quite a feat. Rich coffee blends w/ malt and a nice vanilla flavor as well as subtle bourbon warming. I can taste each element at work, and each one is on point. Booze is hidden very well, making me want to keep drinking and drinking. Aftertaste is wonderfully reminiscent of coffee ice cream. I want more!

M: great, full, creamy texture. No metallic or off sensations to be found.

D: As drinkable as any 13% beer I've ever had. After drinking the first bottle (with a friend) we immediately ordered a second.

Goose Island has made a masterpiece (1,211 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a large Brandy Snifter

It pours a pitch black with a surprisingly deep mocha head that dies quickly into a very tight ring of bubbles around the edges. Hefty legs with carbonation bubbles appear when swirled. Around the thinnest edges of the glass a transparent deep chestnut color can be seen.

Ah yes the rich smell of bourbon, much like it's sister beer. The bourbon is much more muted and tame than it's sister though. From reading previous reviews I expected to be blown away the a deep rich coffee aroma. I found a surprising lack of that here and was kind of disappointed in the lack of a strong coffee nose as has been suggested.

This beer is intense. The coffee finally rears its big head in the taste and I'm loving it. The coffee and bourbon play nicely together with smooth synchronicity. The backend is where this beer shines though. I know this is the 2008 version of BCS but it was much smoother than 08 BCS at this point. The coffee just makes it rich, while the bourbon adds the sweetness to the beer. The aftertaste is great as well. It's almost like you are chewing the richest chocolate covered espresso beans in the world. I can't see how this beer could taste any better than it does right now.

The mouthfeel is so silky smooth with just the right amount of warming alcohol burn considering how bourbon heavy this beer is. Carbonation is perfect; it is present in the taste and has a nice scrubbing effect but not overdone to be distracting. The drinkability is good considering the ABV and the richness but it is such a thick calorie ridden beer I don't think it can score higher than a 4. (1,642 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz bomber into a snifter, bottled 3/26/2010. I've been staring at this one in my fridge for a few weeks or more waiting for a time to try it. FYI to anyone who doesn't know, this beer was brewed in 2008 so it has some age on it already.

A: Pours black with a tiny bit of clear brown on the edges and a small dark brown head that fades quickly and leaves tiny bit of lacing. While it's not the best looking beer compared to a regular imperial stout, this is what a barrel aged stout looks like.

S: The first thing I could smell as I was pouring this was the coffee. Smells like an espresso with vanilla and oak added in. A bit of dark chocolate and molasses in the background as well. If the coffee wasn't so overpowering I would have given this a 5.

T: Wow! I thought this was just hyped up but it delivers tons of flavors like no other. Imagine taking the base flavors of BCS like vanilla, molasses, cocoa, and chared oak and adding in a shot of espresso and this is what this beer tastes like. The finish changes between the coffee, chocolate, and vanilla flavors as it fades on the tongue. I think the coffee actually brings out more chocolate flavor and balances the overpowering vanilla flavors that regular BCS has.

M: The feel is thick, oily, and creamy. It coats the mouth with all those flavors and allows the finish to last for a while. It's slightly thinner than regular BCS but that's like buying 10W30 instead of 15W30.

D: The ABV is damn high and it's going to take me a while to finish this bomber but I won't have any trouble.

I hope they make this on an occasional basis as this is a damn good beer. I had a sinking feeling I would not like this since I didn't particularly like KBS but this takes what KBS is about and melds it with BCS to make a beautiful beverage. Highly recommended! (1,814 characters)

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

Bought this at the Goose Island Wrigleyville Brewpub yesterday, May 27th.

Before I review, let me state that the regular BCS is my absolute favorite beer in the world.

It pours a thick jet black into the goblet provided, with a nice peanut butter tan head.

The expresso hits your nose right away! Smells of dark chocolate, bourbon and fresh roasted coffee fill the air.

Intial taste is the dark roasted chocolate, with a smack of coffee on the back end. Dark candied fruits slowly mix their way in there.Also notes of tobacco.

A bit boozier then the standard BCS. Definetely more bitterness also. I was glad that the metallic flavor you tend to get in some IMPY stouts wasn't present in BCCS. Creamy and full, this baby forces you to drink slowly and enjoy every sip.

This beer is a palate killer. The blend of flavors and alchohol severly limit your ability to drink more than one of these, as I struggled with finishing my bomber.

My only regret, is not getting another to take with, so I can try with a cigar. A simply amazing beer,that is worth the hype. For me though, I think I prefer the regular BCS. I'm not a a huge coffee drinker, but that didn't negatively affect my opinion. Just a great brew that I would purchase frequently if it was available. (1,270 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -21.4%

Thanks to Degarth for opening this one.

A: Pours deep dark black with an average mocha colored head. Lite retention and no lace.

S: Boooozy aroma, hints of acrid coffee, and deep roasted malt.

T: Booze right from the start in the flavor as well. The coffee is there in a big way with mild vanilla and coconut flavors. Mild chocolate notes with a touch of dark fruit.

M: On the fuller side of medium, rich, boozy.

D: Not real drinkable. This one needs to be laid down for a bit. My only fear is that the coffee will fall out a bit. I will take my chances though as this one is way too boozy as is. (601 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

Dark black from a distance with a small head that dissipates rather quickly. When the glass is leaned to the side is a dark amber to a blood red color on the edges.
A fantastic smelling beer which gives way to rich coffee and chocolate, with more of a sweet rum character than bourbon.
A savory, complex beer with rich chocolate and coffee flavors. Butterscotch and vanilla also contribute.
A big beer. Carbonation is not extremely high but balanced due to bourbon aging.
A fantastic beer that I will revisit whenever possible. (530 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5/27/2010

A celebratory beer upon receiving my passing results for the CPA Exam. DONE FOREVER! I was saving another beer for this occasion, but I'm feeling a little under the weather so it will have to wait until next week (though it will still be my official celebratory beer). A generous extra received in a trade with Masterski, Thanks Alex!

2010 batch, bottled date 03/26/2125. Perhaps they meant 2010. Poured into a snifter. The beer appears black, absorbing all frequencies of light in the visible spectrum, and glugs out with great viscosity to feed a frothy two finger Sepia head.

The nose is of espresso, moderately roasted malt, sweet brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, and a strong bourbon presence. Chocolate is evident, and I get a little dark toffee with the brown sugar as the beer warms. The chocolate character reminds me of fudge. This is not unlike Barrel Aged Speedway or Parabola.

The flavor opens with a blend of dark chocolate fudge, coffee, roasted malt, and bourbon. Sweetness kicks in midpalate with the arrival of brown sugar and caramel. Bourbon is prominent throughout. The beer is boozy, but more like 9% than 13%. The sweet finish shows a blend of caramel and toffee added to the chocolate bourbon coffee. The beer is full bodied with a thick and chewy mouthfeel and an upper low level of carbonation.

A decadent and delicious titan that is well deserving of the hype. (1,400 characters)

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a slick jet black with just under a finger of mocha foam that dissipates to a crema-like lace.

S - Rich aromas of both espresso and oak. Everything just melds together, and despite the high level of alcohol, there's no booziness present in the nose - just a mellow bourbon signature. Notes of vanilla, chocolate, toasted marshmallow, molasses, and dark fruit. Absolutely perfect.

T - The first sips fill the mouth with flavors of roasted barley and coffee with an added prickle of alcoholic heat. As the beer builds on the palate, chocolate and vanilla make an entrance, along with molasses and licorice. There's an understated sweetness that cuts through the bit of acrid char. Hop bitterness is assertive, but certainly not the focus here. A little aging could take the edge off the bourbon flavor if desired, but the beer is fine as is.

M - Rich, full, and silky body with an added bourbon tingle.

D - Simply outstanding, and completely deserving of all the hype received. (1,030 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

22 oz bottle into a snifter. 2010 Edition.

Pours a dense black in the glass (but looks like a much murkier brown coming out of the bottle), topped with a thick finger of foamy burnt mocha colored head, which is rocking that angry reddish hue to it that you normally find in the most bad of the bad ass Stouts out there. This retains with some robust bunching around the edges, throwing a rich cascade of spotty froth and sticky brown oils all along the sides of the glass. The aroma is large and in CHARGE but still smooth as silk in the nose for the most part. The bourbon is strong, with a warming burnt mix of molasses and char character being present, but it is cut somewhat by the surprising aggressiveness (considering this has already been aged quite a bit) of that Black Cat Espresso. Vanilla and chocolate roast is sticky and thick behind the bourbon and coffee, adding some needed ease to this, as there is some sharp warmth from both the barrel and ABV but it fortunately never becomes overbearing at any point.

The taste is dark and rich on the palate, with a thick sweet base of chocolate, toffee, and vanilla, which is then punctuated by that lush roasted coffee character and some earthy and herbal feeling hops in the rear of the profile. The bourbon comes out across the back, with a flush of sticky and burnt warmth that has a touch of wood on the edges of it. The finish is fairly intense, with a good bit of boozy heat and parching tannic dryness making sure that you aren't going to forget each sip anytime soon. The mouthfeel feels just beyond full bodied at times, with a thick and chewy presence that blows up in the mouth after each sip. Fortunately, there's a certain amount of slickness and creaminess to the body that keeps this moving surprisingly well, despite the immense size and boozy feel from the barrel that is at work here. Much like the regular BCS, the bourbon adds most of the heat to the flavor and feel. Luckily, not so much from the ABV, which is pretty impressive for a beer of this magnitude.

Could this be the ultimate dessert beer? You've got yourself some chocolate soufflé, a shot of espresso, and a little nip of bourbon all rolled into one. The only thing missing is a fine Montecristo to puff on afterwards. My only issue with this, and it's the same one I have with the regular BCS, is that the bourbon is still a little to hot right now but put a little age on this sucker and it's going to be sublime in a couple of years. This is just the definition of a decadent beer. (2,532 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to phyfe99 for a great trade. This beer pours an oily dark brown with tan head. Carbonation bubbles are fairly large. Reminds me a bit of Dark Horse Plead the Fifth, in appearance. Smell is an intoxicating blend of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla. Flavor follows. Fairly sweet, and quite bitter from the coffee. I also get burnt notes from the coffee. Unlike some other reviewers, I think the amount of coffee is just right (though admittedly I'm not a big fan of most coffee flavored beers), if not excessive.

Body is fairly thick, but seems a hair lighter than regular BCS. Overall, a delicious drinkable stout. I cracked this open on a full stomach on a day where the high temp exceeded 80 degrees. And I'll have no difficulty working through my glass. (772 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +4.6%

Woohoo! Top 3 tick!

Pouring a very dark brown, black almost, this beer has dark brown highlights and a dense, dark brown head that recedes rapidly to a wispy disk. Could it look better? Yeah. Smell better? Arguably not. For a big, chewy imperial stout, this is about as good as it gets. Just exquisite, the blend of chocolate, coffee, bourbon and vanilla is terrific. Boozy too, this beer has caramel, fudge, and a fantastic sweetness. People have criticized this for not having enough coffee, but frankly, who needs another Planet Bean? The coffee character is quite exceptional, rich and full, making me think of another favorite of mine, Devil Over a Barrel

Opening with a juggernaut of flavor, there's caramel, chocolate, fudge, vanilla, bourbon and coffee, all carried through on a warming, boozy backbone. This beer is exceptionally well-balanced, more so than the regular BCS. Milk chocolate and vanilla lay a good base upon which the coffee expresses itself in a rather mellow way, with just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness. Chewy,this beer is medium-full in body with a moderate level of carbonation. Hot on the finish, this beer leaves a blend of chocolate, coffee and vanilla on the palate. Another notch in this beer's bedpost (or my liver, as the case happens to be), is the subtle inclusion of tannins to further help balance the sweetness. Drinkability? Well, it's 80F+ in my apartment and I just drank a Kolsch, and there's hardly anything else I'd rather drink right now.

Regular BCS was one of my first OMFG beer, and the coffee variant builds on a phenomenal base. Favorable comparisons to BA Speedway are in order, with the beautiful chocolate, coffee and bourbon character just outstanding. A little oxidation should do this wonders, I can see this turning into something like the 03 BA Speedway with time.

**Edit 11 Feb 2012**

Thanks to Larry at Chevy Chase, I managed to get a bottle of the 2011 vintage. Thanks, Larry! Split with my dad 6 hours after I picked it up.

The coffee is a lot more prominent than I remember the first batch being. That said, it's a beautiful, beautiful coffee note. Rich, creamy, sweet, chocolate fudge with a rather brash bourbon and vanilla character. The booze is ridiculously well hidden. Plenty of caramel, brown sugar and some roast (maybe not enough?). The only flaw is that the carbonation is a little higher than I'd like, but letting it breathe solves that. Outstanding stuff. 5/4.5/4.5

**Edit 22 March 2014**

My last bottle of the 2010 vintage. Bottled March 26 2010, this is almost 4 years old.

All of the coffee's faded except for a fruity, creamy coffee character, but the base beer is present in all its glory. Moderate booze, vanilla, coconut, caramel, bourbon all along with a lot of roast and some Amaretto. Dessert-like, this beer is full in body, sweet, boozy, creamy, mildly coffee like, buckwheat honey. Yum (2,901 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a pitch black with less than 1 finger of tan, mocha head.

First thing that comes to mind is chocolate covered espresso beans. It smells like chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, maybe some maple syrup/molasses, and coffee.

Upon first sip, I am getting some malty sweetness. Then I get a big bourbon kick, some chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. The coffee is really well integrated in this beer. I have had many beers that are just overpowering with that acrid coffee aftertaste. This beer does not have that. I get a bourbon and alcohol kick at the end of each sip. I wish the bourbon flavor was a bit more subtle.

Low carbonation. Appropriate for the style. Maybe a little oily, creamy. Nicely done. No complaints.

This is a heavy, dense powerful libation. In my opinion, the drinkability is hurt a bit by the strong boozy aftertaste. On the other hand, I really like the fact that the coffee is nicely balanced. I have had way to many beers that are just coffee bombs. (970 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this at the brewpub on my trip to Chicago. Pours a jet black with a very thin layer of brown head. Head does not go away at all and there is tons of lacing down the glass.

Smell first is of coffee, while the vanilla and bourbon start to come through after. Lots of roasted malt too in the smell. The taste really integrates the coffee into the flavour of the stout. While I'm a huge coffee geek and can sometimes appreciate overpowering coffee flavour, this is still amazing even though it doesn't. Lots of vanilla and bourbon, with some chocolate.

Very smooth mouthfeel, though not overly creamy like some stouts. I actually didn't know what abv this was until part way into drinking it and saw it was 13%. It doesn't seem boozy at all, so I was a little bit surprised. I was easily able to finish off the bomber of this and I was a bit dissapointed to learn it was the last bottle at the brewpub at that time. I'm glad I went back two days later to get (yet again) the last bottle, but this time I took it home with me to enjoy later. (1,044 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours semi-thick with light foam only. Dark brown color, you can almost see through it as it is mostly clear, it also has a bit of reddish hue along the edges. Aroma has a moderate intensity, only faint coffee smell with bourbon dominating.

Taste is again heavy on the bourbon with a good deal of sweetness. Where is the coffee accent? It's quite one dimensional with only a slightly bitter balance at the back. The nice thing here is that the alcohol seems pretty mellow for 13%. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for stout, but with barrel aging and high ABV it's appropriate. Carbonation was average.

Overall I was not impressed. I was expecting more of a coffee flavor like an Abyss or Breakfast Stout but it was just not there. This thing is pure bourbon, and the only saving grace was that the alcohol was kept in check and didn't also affect the drinkability. It was just too sweet without enough complexity. I believe aging would help this beer some, but overall I don't think it will ever live up to the hype. (1,012 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -5%

What a damn fine beer. Black with just a bit of wispy head. Great legs. Smells just like regular BCS with just a hint of coffee. Not at all overpowering on the nose.
Taste us spot on to the nose. Original BCS with just a wonderful dose of coffee. I was worried this would have too much coffee but its just the right amount to compliment the dark, sweet notes of BCS. Dense and rich, it coats the tongue. Not 'drinkability' but, 'sipability' earns it as close to a 5 as I can get. (479 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -6.8%

HUGE thanks to Chris for sharing this!

A- Dark brown, nearly black body with some red hues shining through. Pours with a dark brown foamy head that fades somewhat quickly to a thick collar. No lacing left behind.

S- Lots of bourbon with vanilla, toffee, caramel, and some roasted malt.

T- Overall impression of the flavor is very sweet and slightly boozy. Flavor is a lot like the nose. Roasted chocolate, caramel, vanilla, toffee-pretty consistent throughout although the finish is pretty hot and astringent with a big alcohol heat.

M- Soft carbonation with a thick, syrupy body. Very smooth

D- This is an awesome well put together, well balanced stout. Its still a bit too hot-but it will probably be unstoppable with 1 yr on it. (736 characters)

Photo of
4.67/5  rDev +2%

Shared a 22 oz. bomber

Smells of caramel, bourbon, espresso and vanilla. The coffee and bourbon blend well - neither is especially distinct. Smells exceptional.

Taste oscilates between coffee and bourbon - this is the coolest part of the beer. Other things picked up were bittersweet chocolate, cayenne and vanilla. The espresso is very good. Very sweet, but goes well with the overall profile. It almost tastes like liquid tiramisu.

Mouthfeel is excellent, for 13% abv there is not much of a burn. Just lots of rich flavors

Drinkability is appropriate for what GI was going for, which appears to be decadence of Wagnerian proportions. They succeeded. But it's a little disappointing when something tastes really good and you can barely finish your half of a bomber. (770 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to Stoutfest for hooking me up with this one. I love the normal bourbon county so i have really been looking forward to this one. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Black with very little head. The head that is there is dark brown and laces around the edge of the glass.

S: A lot of vanilla/bourbon, roasted malt, coffee and hints of raisons. There is also some chocolate and oak in there. Smells great.

T: Nothing is really overpowering anything, there are tons of things going on and they all seem to complement each other. To me the bourbon is the first thing that i taste, it comes with a nice touch of vanilla. Next is some dark fruits followed by a milky chocolate. The end to me is a kind of oaky finish with the coffee coming in at the very end and lingering. There are hints of a creamy espresso throughout, but again, it does well to complement everything and not overpower.

M: Fairly thick bodied but not quite like Dark Lord or anything. Creamy, with moderate carbonation.

D: Hides the high ABV fairly well.

This is right up there with ORF, KBS, Abyss and other barrel aged stouts I've had. I need to have one big ass bourbon barrel stout tasting to see which is really my favorite. (1,215 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

Brown 22 oz bottle. Freshness date.
Big thick spent engine oil black with a moderate sized, fast fading tan head. Some sticky and patchy lacing clings to the glass.
A strong alcoholic smell rises at first pour. Smells of dark coffee, chocolate, bourbon, piney hops and camphor remain potent throughout.
Wow! A taste of Kalua and bourbon jump straight out. Coffee, dark chocolate, malt and edgy hop bitterness follow.
The alcoholic kick is unmistakable.
Lovely in an extreme sense! (480 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber marked with a 3/26/10 bottled on date into a snifter and shared with schen9303. Before I get started, I want to say, besides the overall appearance, I'm really not sure how this could possibly be better than it already is...

A: Moderate pour yields a 1 finger coarse, coffee head that dissipates rather quickly. Beer is pitch black and thick like used motor oil. Lacing is near non-existent, with spottiness here and there and near no cling.

S: Chocolate, brownie, licquorice, prunes, and sweet soy sauce all surrounded by overtones of rich, milky coffee. Nose is very robust overall and very potent. I can smell it as soon as the bottle pops open.

T: Chocolate, brownie, slight liquorice, sweet soy sauce, and prunes in the background. This is very similar to the regular bourbon stout except for the fact that the coffee added gives it a layer of richness that adds immeasurable balance. Incredibly complex, this one gets a bit boozier as it warms. Finish is sweet and loaded with dark fruit. Aftertaste is one of chocolate and covered in the background by rich coffee.

M: Medium to full bodied, slightly carbonated, and very very smooth yet lively enough to separate the flavors. Silky in the mouth with a slightly messy but pleasant finish. Aftertaste lingers but adds layers to the next sip.

D: Like I said before, I'm not sure how this beer could possibly be better. This proves that limited availability does not = better flavor. I could have this again and again and not be tired of it and in fact, can't wait to see what a couple of months will do to this. Immensely smooth and complex, this is the best of the best. Seek it out, it won't dissapoint. (1,695 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -5%

22oz bomber received as an extra from a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours dark as night with a 1 finger light brown crown that shows moderate retention and lace which is to be expected with a 13% abv brew.

Smell: Loads of chocolate, dark roast malt, coffee, vanilla, and bourbon.

Taste: Same as nose. Coffee up front, followed by roast malt and chocolate malt, then bourbon and a slight vanilla note. Hint of heat in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body with moderate carbonation. Syrupy and hefty but not cloying.

Drinkability: Pretty good despite the high abv and strong flavors. (588 characters)

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

This is one hell of a @$#@%$ beer.

Pours black black with black edging, and a light brown/tan foamy top. Head settled down to about a quarter inch crust, but surprisingly foamy, all things considered.

Smells like a fantastically melded concoction of espresso coffee, cappuchino coffee, roasted malt, bourbon-y vanilla, milk chocolate, and hints of ... oak? Wow. This is a fantastic smelling beer.

Tastes good, too. Incredible balance for this strong of a -bal aged brew. Except for the bourbon flavoring, essentially zero heat. The coffee isn't overpowering in the slightest, and it's surprisingly sweet coffee ... like a vanilla espresso, almost. The milk chocolate and roasted malt definitely take a backseat to the coffee, but again: the harmony is perfect. The vanilla .. I swear that's oak, which is super rare in a stout this strong ... and maybe a hint of licorice all add subtlety.

Creamy mouthfeel, though perhaps not as thick as one might expect. It's a rich beer, but not overly palate wearying. (1,011 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a dense black liquid with a dark coffee colored head

S-very coffee forward, espresso with some nice vanilla. roasted malts, notes of oak and bourbon. sweetens in the back, caramel, anise and a touch of dark fruits. lots of sugar and very sweet aroma.

T-this is quite tasty. lots of refined espresso, notes of vanilla. roasted malty goodness, dark chocolate, bourbon, oak. molasses behind, hint of anise and light malt sweetness in the back.

M-huge, smooth, a little grainy on the palate in the back, velvety and chewy with lots of carbonation and a good bite at the finish.

D-this has a great balance, quite coffee forward and a lot of sweetness. the barrel is light but still present. very good beer and hides the huge abv quite well. (747 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Reviewed from notes at our tasting with Darkness. I think I can say that we all enjoyed this one.

A- Pitch black with a light tan/beige head. The retention is decent overall but good for a barrel-aged beer (from my experience). A fine cloud and ring float atop the beer leaving very sticky suds on the glass but not much lace (bbl-aged trend).

S- Oak and bourbon up front but not overbearing. Dark cocoa, roasted malt, caramel, vanilla and hints of alcohol. I was waiting for some coffee in the aroma and it finally came in big-time about half way through my glass. Awesome balance and strength.

T- One for the ages. Oak and bourbon take a laid back approach compared to something like KBS. Dark chocolate, roast malts, vanilla and some caramel as well. Then there is the espresso... The coffee flavor in this beer is very strong but still balanced with the other stuff. I was absolutely blown away by how well the coffee is integrated into this one. The cocoa, coffee and oak balance is immaculate. This reminds me of the first time I had Peche Mortel on-tap in Montreal.

MF- Fairly thick, oily body that is somewhat creamy as well. Low carbonation like that of many big stouts and barrel-aged beers, but of course it suits the flavors very well. A good warmth is left on the palate.

DB- The $13 bottle was more than worth it. If this beer was able to be mass produced I would probably get a case every month. An amazing balance of the popular barrel-aged stout flavors. I can dream of this being on-tap someday for me to try. (1,532 characters)

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.