Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutBourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Wants: 3,960
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 04-22-2010

2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana Coffee Beans
2013 Release - Intelligentsia ‘Los Inmortales’
2012 Release - Intelligentsia La Tortuga Beans
2011 Release - Intelligentsia Anjilanaka Beans
2010 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso Beans
Reviews: 1,043 | Hads: 6,222
2.94/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured into my Cigar City Snifter.

A- Pours solid black. No light passes through at all. A fingers worth of a tannish head. Excellent retention and a solid amount of lacing.

S- Str8 up, in your grill, BOURBON. The charred malts and dark chocolate are present, but are supressed mainly by booze. I didn't pick up on any coffee at all.

T- Wow....I hate to say it, but I'm really disapointed. The bourbon is way to overpowering for me. Once again though the bourbon is just to hot. Weird because if I'm drinking liquor, I'm drinking Makers Mark, Gentleman Jack, or crown. Perhaps I should have chilled this brew a little longer before cracking it. I typicaly enjoy my stouts close to room temperature, so I had this just around room temp. The booze were just to much and it killed the other flavors in the beer. The only other thing I picked up on was the charred malts. No vanilla, no coffee, no chocolate. I really prefer regular BCS over this. I have one more bottle that I'm gonna let mellow out and I'll see what happens after some time has been put on this. I enjoy most BA stouts....I think this one just needs a little time.

M- Nice and creamy, but the heat from the booze killed it for me once again.

D- If you have read my review up to this point, you probably are going to guess what I'm going to say here...Yup u guessed it, just to boozey and hot. I'm anxious to revisit this brew in a year or so. (1,412 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

22 oz. Bomber poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Pours black, but not jet black like some other stouts I've seen. An almost red tint was found while it was being slowly poured into the glass. One fingers worth of mocha colored head crowned the beer with good retention.

S: The smell is incredible with in your face notes of coffee, chocolate and soy sauce and slight hints of vanilla and bourbon.

T: Amazingly complex. I don't think I have ever had a beer as complex as this. It starts out with a strong coffee flavor followed by bourbon with some heat. This heat however, is not over the top at all. Bourbon and chocolate stay on the tongue after each sip. There are also hints of vanilla, oak, soy sauce and chocolate found throughout the brew.

M: Perfect for the style. The lower carbonation gives the beer a creamy feel and its not overly viscous. (851 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Truly black gold, with all of it's glass staining goodness and a short lived, bourbon barrel color head.

As the aroma of bourbon fills the room while pouring it you know that something great is about to happen. Closer inspection reveals one of the best smelling beers I've ever experienced. Vanilla, espresso bean, milky sweet and bitter chocolate, a whiff of alcohol. It smells a lot like an empty bourbon barrel.

It has an oaky bourbon flavor that intertwines with molasses, roasty coffee beans, and milk chocolate. But it's in the aftertaste that it really shines. The fade goes on and on with burnt cookies and espresso. Delicious finish.

The mouthfeel reminds me a bit of 2% milk, very smooth. It's not too high on my drinkablility scale, due to the richness and alcohol presence. It's a splitter and a sipper that demands respect, control, and attention. Deservedly so. In my top 5 without questions. Why did I not by more of this when I had the chance? Why? (969 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle acquired in a trade with AleWatcher (Thanks!) into my Brooklyn snifter at cellar temperature (05/15/10).

A: Pours a deep, rich, motor oil black with an ever so slight ruby hue caped off with a tan head that quickly dissipates.

S: Strong yet delicious bourbon scent along with molasses, roasted malt, and toffee/caramel. This incredible aroma is enhanced with a wonderful layer of coffee that is sweet, bitter and rich.

T: Intense bourbon flavor with very apparent alcohol heat, but in a pleasing way as long as you are a bourbon fan. Very complex flavors including molasses, roasted malt, caramel, toffee, bitter dark chocolate, sweet cocoa, vanilla, and milk chocolate all surrounded in a blanket of wood. I must say the coffee adds a very unique and flavorful quality, but I may prefer the original just a bit more.

M: Fulerl-bodied and oily with low carbonation. Perhaps just a bit thinner than I would like.

D: For the style this is certainly drinkable, but don't lie to yourself.

Overall this is certainly a great twist on the original classic. Another fine stout from Goose Island. Highly Recommended. (1,141 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +6.1%

2010 Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout bottled on 3/26/10.
Poured into my Cigar City snifter a deep black with a 1 finger head of dark tan, tiny bubbles. Aroma is notes of sweet dark chocolate, cocoa, and bourbon. The first sip is a plethora of flavors; chocolate sweetness up front followed by a strong coffee flavor, a nip of bitterness, and ending with a long drawn out bourbon taste. The alcohol is pretty apparent in the end. Letting this one warm up a bit as it was in the fridge brings out some more flavors. Slight vanilla notes. For being so "young" I will be interested to see what these do with some age on them.
Very full bodied mouthfeel.
An excellent example of an American Double/Imperial Stout. (711 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -48.4%

I truly was excited to try this beer. Anything that reaches the top 10 on BA is a must try. But this really is a massive disappointment. Choke the hype. This beer is almost more overly hyped than Patrick Rue's 18% bourbon RIS. The pour was expected. Gorgeous dark stout with tight mocha carbonation that disspated quickly. Best part about this beer for sure, however everything on was total crap. Aroma is straight bourbon. Nothing complex what so ever. At least bring some complexity into this. I thought this beer was brewed with top notch Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso. Taste is of more bourbon with slight creme'd sugar and lactose. Can I get some toasty malt or some hops in this, please? Taking another whiff of this, I get cheap vanilla extract with more milk chocolate (hence the lactoce again). The body is rich and full without any stickyness. Finish is one dimensional with bourbon straight through. I hardly want another sip. Luckily I'm splitting this beer with a friend or else I'd drain pour at least half the bottle. I'd say if one is looking for a coffee infused RIS done the right way, search out the Mikkeller Beer Geek Weasel (BA'ed one if you can find it). (1,181 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

A: The pour is fairly viscous and black with a finger's worth of brown head that has amazing retention.

S: An incredibly rich and robust nose. Tons of vanilla and coffee attack the sense. There is also quite a bit of chocolate, bourbon, and some more coffee for good measure.

T: The bourbon and barrel flavors come through more than I would have expected. Certainly plenty of vanilla and the coffee flavor is quite intense. A nice chocolatey and sweet finish.

M: As one might expect, this is a full bodied beer. The carbonation is low and smooth, giving the beer a very creamy mouthfeel.

D: There is a bit of heat that comes through (as there is with regular BCS), but it is covered up quite nicely by the vanilla and coffee. Still, this is one to drink with a few friends. (777 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours very dark and is black as a coal mine in the glass. One inch of mocha colored head that had very good retention. Thick coating of lacing recedes back into the liquid after each sip. The aroma is everything you hope for in a coffee infuses, barrel-aged stout. Each element is equally balanced. I smell whole bean, freshly roasted coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, chocolate, and alcohol. The flavor is almost equally awesome. It only falls short because of the alcohol heat. Coffee flavor that is almost the best I have had in a beer. The barrel-aging lends bourbon, vanilla, and woody notes. Still a substantial stout under all the other flavors and that is very important. Awesome thick, chewy, and creamy body. The best of Goose Island stouts is still evident in this beer. A great beer that I will need to find another bottle and age for awhile. A relatively good value as well, I could see several local breweries selling this for $10 more a bottle. (956 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured at a recent BA tasting thanks to Pawel. Pours a viscous black with minimal head. Nose is vanilla dominating with some coffee, the bourbon boozy elements are hard to find. Taste is vanilla, oak, espresso, some cocoa, honey, and a hint of bourbon. VERY smooth mouthfeel, one of the best ever. Up there with the best stouts I've ever had.

EDIT: Split a full bottle with fresh palate and updated the review. Moved up with smell and taste, a bit down with drinkability. (472 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%

Somehow, I got a bottle of this. I think there was only 1 case in my town!! A 22 oz. bottle of this. It says it is aged in bourbon barrels and expresso is added. I also see it is number 3 on the list and anticipate this drink highly.

I poured it an got about 3/4 inch of a dark tan head. That head left a ring of bubbles which is easily stirred up but not much lacing. It poured very black brown and the body is opaque.

The nose is awesome. Boiled down coffee, whiskey, charred wood, roasted malt, caramel. This is a great beginning. This beer is one of the most appealing based on the smell I have ever had.

Taste: Well, I took a tiny sip and WOW did the flavors explode. It is loaded with coffee, sweetness, roasted malt and some bourbon undertones. The finish is pretty bitter, not sure if it is hops or the expresso.

The beer is very thick body and viscous. It actually tastes feels like it was boiled down or thickened, but that is part of the fine appeal of this classic brew. There is a nice little zip after you taste it. The flavors linger on the tongue for sometime. The alcohol does not overwhelm you. It is not up front but I am sure it will let me know as I drink this. This is definitely one of the best stouts I have had. This puts Goose Island on the map as one of the fine breweries of the world with this accomplishment. I can't say enough about this beer. Truly enjoyable with every sip, I mean small sip. (1,431 characters)

Truly a world-class brew. I can't think of any way to improve on this complex, flavorful, yet beautifully harmonized beer. I don't remember having a beer stout than this.

A: Pours nice and thick, although not in the motor oil realm. Black with deep amber highlights at the edges if held up to some light. Surprisingly, it pours with a good sized light brown head which never fully dissipated for me.

S: Wonderfully balanced. Vanilla, deep chocolate malts, bourbon, and coffee all are present, though none are more prominent than any other. Great smelling beer.

T: The taste is as amazingly balanced as the smell. Considering how much is going on here, that's quite a feat. Rich coffee blends w/ malt and a nice vanilla flavor as well as subtle bourbon warming. I can taste each element at work, and each one is on point. Booze is hidden very well, making me want to keep drinking and drinking. Aftertaste is wonderfully reminiscent of coffee ice cream. I want more!

M: great, full, creamy texture. No metallic or off sensations to be found.

D: As drinkable as any 13% beer I've ever had. After drinking the first bottle (with a friend) we immediately ordered a second.

Goose Island has made a masterpiece (1,211 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a large Brandy Snifter

It pours a pitch black with a surprisingly deep mocha head that dies quickly into a very tight ring of bubbles around the edges. Hefty legs with carbonation bubbles appear when swirled. Around the thinnest edges of the glass a transparent deep chestnut color can be seen.

Ah yes the rich smell of bourbon, much like it's sister beer. The bourbon is much more muted and tame than it's sister though. From reading previous reviews I expected to be blown away the a deep rich coffee aroma. I found a surprising lack of that here and was kind of disappointed in the lack of a strong coffee nose as has been suggested.

This beer is intense. The coffee finally rears its big head in the taste and I'm loving it. The coffee and bourbon play nicely together with smooth synchronicity. The backend is where this beer shines though. I know this is the 2008 version of BCS but it was much smoother than 08 BCS at this point. The coffee just makes it rich, while the bourbon adds the sweetness to the beer. The aftertaste is great as well. It's almost like you are chewing the richest chocolate covered espresso beans in the world. I can't see how this beer could taste any better than it does right now.

The mouthfeel is so silky smooth with just the right amount of warming alcohol burn considering how bourbon heavy this beer is. Carbonation is perfect; it is present in the taste and has a nice scrubbing effect but not overdone to be distracting. The drinkability is good considering the ABV and the richness but it is such a thick calorie ridden beer I don't think it can score higher than a 4. (1,642 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bomber into a snifter, bottled 3/26/2010. I've been staring at this one in my fridge for a few weeks or more waiting for a time to try it. FYI to anyone who doesn't know, this beer was brewed in 2008 so it has some age on it already.

A: Pours black with a tiny bit of clear brown on the edges and a small dark brown head that fades quickly and leaves tiny bit of lacing. While it's not the best looking beer compared to a regular imperial stout, this is what a barrel aged stout looks like.

S: The first thing I could smell as I was pouring this was the coffee. Smells like an espresso with vanilla and oak added in. A bit of dark chocolate and molasses in the background as well. If the coffee wasn't so overpowering I would have given this a 5.

T: Wow! I thought this was just hyped up but it delivers tons of flavors like no other. Imagine taking the base flavors of BCS like vanilla, molasses, cocoa, and chared oak and adding in a shot of espresso and this is what this beer tastes like. The finish changes between the coffee, chocolate, and vanilla flavors as it fades on the tongue. I think the coffee actually brings out more chocolate flavor and balances the overpowering vanilla flavors that regular BCS has.

M: The feel is thick, oily, and creamy. It coats the mouth with all those flavors and allows the finish to last for a while. It's slightly thinner than regular BCS but that's like buying 10W30 instead of 15W30.

D: The ABV is damn high and it's going to take me a while to finish this bomber but I won't have any trouble.

I hope they make this on an occasional basis as this is a damn good beer. I had a sinking feeling I would not like this since I didn't particularly like KBS but this takes what KBS is about and melds it with BCS to make a beautiful beverage. Highly recommended! (1,814 characters)

4.57/5  rDev -0.4%

Bought this at the Goose Island Wrigleyville Brewpub yesterday, May 27th.

Before I review, let me state that the regular BCS is my absolute favorite beer in the world.

It pours a thick jet black into the goblet provided, with a nice peanut butter tan head.

The expresso hits your nose right away! Smells of dark chocolate, bourbon and fresh roasted coffee fill the air.

Intial taste is the dark roasted chocolate, with a smack of coffee on the back end. Dark candied fruits slowly mix their way in there.Also notes of tobacco.

A bit boozier then the standard BCS. Definetely more bitterness also. I was glad that the metallic flavor you tend to get in some IMPY stouts wasn't present in BCCS. Creamy and full, this baby forces you to drink slowly and enjoy every sip.

This beer is a palate killer. The blend of flavors and alchohol severly limit your ability to drink more than one of these, as I struggled with finishing my bomber.

My only regret, is not getting another to take with, so I can try with a cigar. A simply amazing beer,that is worth the hype. For me though, I think I prefer the regular BCS. I'm not a a huge coffee drinker, but that didn't negatively affect my opinion. Just a great brew that I would purchase frequently if it was available. (1,270 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -21.6%

Thanks to Degarth for opening this one.

A: Pours deep dark black with an average mocha colored head. Lite retention and no lace.

S: Boooozy aroma, hints of acrid coffee, and deep roasted malt.

T: Booze right from the start in the flavor as well. The coffee is there in a big way with mild vanilla and coconut flavors. Mild chocolate notes with a touch of dark fruit.

M: On the fuller side of medium, rich, boozy.

D: Not real drinkable. This one needs to be laid down for a bit. My only fear is that the coffee will fall out a bit. I will take my chances though as this one is way too boozy as is. (601 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Dark black from a distance with a small head that dissipates rather quickly. When the glass is leaned to the side is a dark amber to a blood red color on the edges.
A fantastic smelling beer which gives way to rich coffee and chocolate, with more of a sweet rum character than bourbon.
A savory, complex beer with rich chocolate and coffee flavors. Butterscotch and vanilla also contribute.
A big beer. Carbonation is not extremely high but balanced due to bourbon aging.
A fantastic beer that I will revisit whenever possible. (530 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5/27/2010

A celebratory beer upon receiving my passing results for the CPA Exam. DONE FOREVER! I was saving another beer for this occasion, but I'm feeling a little under the weather so it will have to wait until next week (though it will still be my official celebratory beer). A generous extra received in a trade with Masterski, Thanks Alex!

2010 batch, bottled date 03/26/2125. Perhaps they meant 2010. Poured into a snifter. The beer appears black, absorbing all frequencies of light in the visible spectrum, and glugs out with great viscosity to feed a frothy two finger Sepia head.

The nose is of espresso, moderately roasted malt, sweet brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, and a strong bourbon presence. Chocolate is evident, and I get a little dark toffee with the brown sugar as the beer warms. The chocolate character reminds me of fudge. This is not unlike Barrel Aged Speedway or Parabola.

The flavor opens with a blend of dark chocolate fudge, coffee, roasted malt, and bourbon. Sweetness kicks in midpalate with the arrival of brown sugar and caramel. Bourbon is prominent throughout. The beer is boozy, but more like 9% than 13%. The sweet finish shows a blend of caramel and toffee added to the chocolate bourbon coffee. The beer is full bodied with a thick and chewy mouthfeel and an upper low level of carbonation.

A decadent and delicious titan that is well deserving of the hype. (1,400 characters)

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a slick jet black with just under a finger of mocha foam that dissipates to a crema-like lace.

S - Rich aromas of both espresso and oak. Everything just melds together, and despite the high level of alcohol, there's no booziness present in the nose - just a mellow bourbon signature. Notes of vanilla, chocolate, toasted marshmallow, molasses, and dark fruit. Absolutely perfect.

T - The first sips fill the mouth with flavors of roasted barley and coffee with an added prickle of alcoholic heat. As the beer builds on the palate, chocolate and vanilla make an entrance, along with molasses and licorice. There's an understated sweetness that cuts through the bit of acrid char. Hop bitterness is assertive, but certainly not the focus here. A little aging could take the edge off the bourbon flavor if desired, but the beer is fine as is.

M - Rich, full, and silky body with an added bourbon tingle.

D - Simply outstanding, and completely deserving of all the hype received. (1,030 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5%

22 oz bottle into a snifter. 2010 Edition.

Pours a dense black in the glass (but looks like a much murkier brown coming out of the bottle), topped with a thick finger of foamy burnt mocha colored head, which is rocking that angry reddish hue to it that you normally find in the most bad of the bad ass Stouts out there. This retains with some robust bunching around the edges, throwing a rich cascade of spotty froth and sticky brown oils all along the sides of the glass. The aroma is large and in CHARGE but still smooth as silk in the nose for the most part. The bourbon is strong, with a warming burnt mix of molasses and char character being present, but it is cut somewhat by the surprising aggressiveness (considering this has already been aged quite a bit) of that Black Cat Espresso. Vanilla and chocolate roast is sticky and thick behind the bourbon and coffee, adding some needed ease to this, as there is some sharp warmth from both the barrel and ABV but it fortunately never becomes overbearing at any point.

The taste is dark and rich on the palate, with a thick sweet base of chocolate, toffee, and vanilla, which is then punctuated by that lush roasted coffee character and some earthy and herbal feeling hops in the rear of the profile. The bourbon comes out across the back, with a flush of sticky and burnt warmth that has a touch of wood on the edges of it. The finish is fairly intense, with a good bit of boozy heat and parching tannic dryness making sure that you aren't going to forget each sip anytime soon. The mouthfeel feels just beyond full bodied at times, with a thick and chewy presence that blows up in the mouth after each sip. Fortunately, there's a certain amount of slickness and creaminess to the body that keeps this moving surprisingly well, despite the immense size and boozy feel from the barrel that is at work here. Much like the regular BCS, the bourbon adds most of the heat to the flavor and feel. Luckily, not so much from the ABV, which is pretty impressive for a beer of this magnitude.

Could this be the ultimate dessert beer? You've got yourself some chocolate soufflé, a shot of espresso, and a little nip of bourbon all rolled into one. The only thing missing is a fine Montecristo to puff on afterwards. My only issue with this, and it's the same one I have with the regular BCS, is that the bourbon is still a little to hot right now but put a little age on this sucker and it's going to be sublime in a couple of years. This is just the definition of a decadent beer. (2,532 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to phyfe99 for a great trade. This beer pours an oily dark brown with tan head. Carbonation bubbles are fairly large. Reminds me a bit of Dark Horse Plead the Fifth, in appearance. Smell is an intoxicating blend of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla. Flavor follows. Fairly sweet, and quite bitter from the coffee. I also get burnt notes from the coffee. Unlike some other reviewers, I think the amount of coffee is just right (though admittedly I'm not a big fan of most coffee flavored beers), if not excessive.

Body is fairly thick, but seems a hair lighter than regular BCS. Overall, a delicious drinkable stout. I cracked this open on a full stomach on a day where the high temp exceeded 80 degrees. And I'll have no difficulty working through my glass. (772 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +4.4%

Woohoo! Top 3 tick!

Pouring a very dark brown, black almost, this beer has dark brown highlights and a dense, dark brown head that recedes rapidly to a wispy disk. Could it look better? Yeah. Smell better? Arguably not. For a big, chewy imperial stout, this is about as good as it gets. Just exquisite, the blend of chocolate, coffee, bourbon and vanilla is terrific. Boozy too, this beer has caramel, fudge, and a fantastic sweetness. People have criticized this for not having enough coffee, but frankly, who needs another Planet Bean? The coffee character is quite exceptional, rich and full, making me think of another favorite of mine, Devil Over a Barrel

Opening with a juggernaut of flavor, there's caramel, chocolate, fudge, vanilla, bourbon and coffee, all carried through on a warming, boozy backbone. This beer is exceptionally well-balanced, more so than the regular BCS. Milk chocolate and vanilla lay a good base upon which the coffee expresses itself in a rather mellow way, with just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness. Chewy,this beer is medium-full in body with a moderate level of carbonation. Hot on the finish, this beer leaves a blend of chocolate, coffee and vanilla on the palate. Another notch in this beer's bedpost (or my liver, as the case happens to be), is the subtle inclusion of tannins to further help balance the sweetness. Drinkability? Well, it's 80F+ in my apartment and I just drank a Kolsch, and there's hardly anything else I'd rather drink right now.

Regular BCS was one of my first OMFG beer, and the coffee variant builds on a phenomenal base. Favorable comparisons to BA Speedway are in order, with the beautiful chocolate, coffee and bourbon character just outstanding. A little oxidation should do this wonders, I can see this turning into something like the 03 BA Speedway with time.

**Edit 11 Feb 2012**

Thanks to Larry at Chevy Chase, I managed to get a bottle of the 2011 vintage. Thanks, Larry! Split with my dad 6 hours after I picked it up.

The coffee is a lot more prominent than I remember the first batch being. That said, it's a beautiful, beautiful coffee note. Rich, creamy, sweet, chocolate fudge with a rather brash bourbon and vanilla character. The booze is ridiculously well hidden. Plenty of caramel, brown sugar and some roast (maybe not enough?). The only flaw is that the carbonation is a little higher than I'd like, but letting it breathe solves that. Outstanding stuff. 5/4.5/4.5

**Edit 22 March 2014**

My last bottle of the 2010 vintage. Bottled March 26 2010, this is almost 4 years old.

All of the coffee's faded except for a fruity, creamy coffee character, but the base beer is present in all its glory. Moderate booze, vanilla, coconut, caramel, bourbon all along with a lot of roast and some Amaretto. Dessert-like, this beer is full in body, sweet, boozy, creamy, mildly coffee like, buckwheat honey. Yum (2,901 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a pitch black with less than 1 finger of tan, mocha head.

First thing that comes to mind is chocolate covered espresso beans. It smells like chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, maybe some maple syrup/molasses, and coffee.

Upon first sip, I am getting some malty sweetness. Then I get a big bourbon kick, some chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. The coffee is really well integrated in this beer. I have had many beers that are just overpowering with that acrid coffee aftertaste. This beer does not have that. I get a bourbon and alcohol kick at the end of each sip. I wish the bourbon flavor was a bit more subtle.

Low carbonation. Appropriate for the style. Maybe a little oily, creamy. Nicely done. No complaints.

This is a heavy, dense powerful libation. In my opinion, the drinkability is hurt a bit by the strong boozy aftertaste. On the other hand, I really like the fact that the coffee is nicely balanced. I have had way to many beers that are just coffee bombs. (970 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

I had this at the brewpub on my trip to Chicago. Pours a jet black with a very thin layer of brown head. Head does not go away at all and there is tons of lacing down the glass.

Smell first is of coffee, while the vanilla and bourbon start to come through after. Lots of roasted malt too in the smell. The taste really integrates the coffee into the flavour of the stout. While I'm a huge coffee geek and can sometimes appreciate overpowering coffee flavour, this is still amazing even though it doesn't. Lots of vanilla and bourbon, with some chocolate.

Very smooth mouthfeel, though not overly creamy like some stouts. I actually didn't know what abv this was until part way into drinking it and saw it was 13%. It doesn't seem boozy at all, so I was a little bit surprised. I was easily able to finish off the bomber of this and I was a bit dissapointed to learn it was the last bottle at the brewpub at that time. I'm glad I went back two days later to get (yet again) the last bottle, but this time I took it home with me to enjoy later. (1,044 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours semi-thick with light foam only. Dark brown color, you can almost see through it as it is mostly clear, it also has a bit of reddish hue along the edges. Aroma has a moderate intensity, only faint coffee smell with bourbon dominating.

Taste is again heavy on the bourbon with a good deal of sweetness. Where is the coffee accent? It's quite one dimensional with only a slightly bitter balance at the back. The nice thing here is that the alcohol seems pretty mellow for 13%. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for stout, but with barrel aging and high ABV it's appropriate. Carbonation was average.

Overall I was not impressed. I was expecting more of a coffee flavor like an Abyss or Breakfast Stout but it was just not there. This thing is pure bourbon, and the only saving grace was that the alcohol was kept in check and didn't also affect the drinkability. It was just too sweet without enough complexity. I believe aging would help this beer some, but overall I don't think it will ever live up to the hype. (1,012 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -5.2%

What a damn fine beer. Black with just a bit of wispy head. Great legs. Smells just like regular BCS with just a hint of coffee. Not at all overpowering on the nose.
Taste us spot on to the nose. Original BCS with just a wonderful dose of coffee. I was worried this would have too much coffee but its just the right amount to compliment the dark, sweet notes of BCS. Dense and rich, it coats the tongue. Not 'drinkability' but, 'sipability' earns it as close to a 5 as I can get. (479 characters)

Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.