White City - Goose Island Beer Co.

White City
No picture uploaded.

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Witbier |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: thetomG on 07-23-2010)
Reviews by KI9A:
4.43/5  rDev +4%

A: Clear yellow, nice puffy head. Good lace windows.

S: Big lemon, some wheat, and white pepper/ corriander. The nose on this beer is huge!

T: Follows nose, with the lemon, & corriander being pretty upfront. Some spice of the white pepper, and obvious Belgian yeastyness.

M: Good carbonation. Light body, but, still satisfying.

D: Way too easy to quaff down. This is a great Wit. Was really surprised to see it at a local bar!

KI9A, Aug 28, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

on-tap at bad apple, chicago

appearance: 1/2 pour in a chalice - hazy golden body, big frothy white head and strong retention

smell: potent - corriander, white pepper, rosemary, citrus peel, yeast, orange zest

taste: a witbier of extreme proportions - brewed with corriander, fennel, rosemary, orange peel and orange zest. The citrus blasts the palate right away - the corriander is in full force but i dont recall picking up much fennel. I assume this will hit madison eventually as pepe nero did - very interesting, perhaps a bit over the top

mouthfeel: fresh and floral, waves of yeast, light bitterness

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Jul 27, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Had on tap at Blind Tiger in Manhattan. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Golden wheat color with decent carbonation that fades, but still fizzes up and down the side of the glass.

S: Fresh wheat, lemon zest, apricot and pluots in the background.

T: Bold wheat flavor with backdrops of pear and a touch of peach in the finish.

M: Really nicely carbonated, not too overdone; works well with the ABV.

D: The best feature of this beer. Drinks more like a regular wit - there's no imperial about the booze in this beer.

Overall, a style that I typically don't go for, but I was impressed. An Imperial tasting wit indeed.

hoppymcgee, Aug 16, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

pathman, Jul 06, 2013
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

The beer pours cloudy yellow from the tap with a nice white head.

The smell is earthy and has hints of orange peel that enhance the further you drink the beer down.

The taste – wow – this is a beer with a lot of orange peel and zest. This takes everything enjoyable about a Blue Moon and cranks it into overdrive. The spice of the beer is strong (coriander, fennel seeds, and rosemary), but is balanced and sessionable.

jmvecchio1, Jul 16, 2011

McCranky, Jan 19, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

Picked up a growler of this yesterday. Poured into a Goose Island flute.

A - Poured a somewhat transparent yellow with a tint of orange and a very thin head which vanished almost instantly. Steady carbonation swam to the surface of the glass upon initial pour but also seemed to dissipate rather quickly. The lacing was mostly slippery but left some remnants along the side of the glass.

S - Yum. Sweet, sour and spicey all at once. The smell is crisp. Bubble gum comes to mind at first, but there's definitely something tart or sour in there that is blended with the sweetness and spiciness. The closest thing that comes to mind to describe the smell is that sweet and sour grapefruit juice. Kind of like a saison in the background and then a big slap in the smell of sour with some pepper on top.

T - The flavor kind of follows the nose. Starts off sweet and then BAM sour grapefruit juice. I don't know if it really works for me. If the sourness was tamed a bit this one would be dynamite. It is a unique witbier for sure. The taste is really nice, but it just finishes off not so nicely. Not a bad beer, just too sour of a finish for me.

M - Starts off really nice and full bodied with a nice sweetness upfront, but then finishes off kind of sour and dry. Some would probably love it, but being the kind who passes on a glass of grapefruit juice, the finish isn't my thing.

D - I'll have no issues getting through this growler as it is a tasty beer, but this isn't one I'll look for again. It really is a shame cause when it first hits my tongue, it reminds me of sofie which I adore, but then the sourness slams me in the face and finishes off so dry

edit: as with most beers I get in a growler...as the growler dwindled away I found myself fonder and fonder of the beer. as it warmed, the sourness became less upfront and the aftertaste much more subtle. I also found the beer poured with a thicker head (probably due to more water like pouring technique) and lacing really started to cling to the glass. none-the-less, I'm leaving my scores based upon first impressions.

cosmicevan, Jul 26, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Served on-tap.

Appearance is a golden color with quite a bit of cloudiness and a one finger head. It has a smell containing oranges, coriander and pepper. Taking a sip of this wit, I taste more of that orange, brett, spices and wheat. MF if light with some decent malt profile in the end. All in all, a nice witbier from Goose Island.

mltobin, Sep 16, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance- served in a goose island goblet... Wonderful golden colour with a quarter inch of head still as its set on the table.

Smell- a wonderful floral bouquet right off the bat. Citrus and hops follow

Taste- citrusy hops combined with a classic belgian wonderfullness. A crisp and complex combination of wheat and floral flavours

Mouthfeel- maybe a hair too bitter for my taste but damn well balanced. Sits on the tongue more like a belgian than a wheat beer but definitely can identify it as such

Drinkability- well, considering I finished it in a matter of minutes on the patio this hot afternoon I'd say its pretty damn good :)

On tap at the pub at Rookwood in Cincinnati for a limited time

Urbancaver, Jul 26, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -16%

7/25/10 - Caught the last glass from a keg at Swig in Perrysburg, OH so it was a foamy mess at first. A nice solid wit but too many flavors going on. I'd love to rate the flavor an 8 or 9 and it might have been with less additions. Average mouthfeel, looked nice in the glass. Just too much.

a74gent, Aug 30, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance-Pours a beautifully hazy straw-yellow gold into the glass and a sumptuous fluffy white head rises momentarily before bubbling away leaving blotches of white wisp along the top and a solid white ring around the rim. I cannot imagine more of a beautiful white ale.

Aroma-This...is perhaps the most unique Wit I've ever smelled. I can discern most of the listed spices, coriander, rosemary and fennel seeds all jump to the front of the aroma followed by the rich citric aroma of orange peel/zest. I love the way this smells, there's so much going on with the spices and top aromas.

Taste-The first thing I taste is the orange peel, that tangy, citric zest is the perfect beginning to lead off into the next flavors. Next comes the coriander and the rosemary giving a nice earthy spiciness to contrast against the citric lead-in, then comes the roasted fennel seed flavor which, I'll be honest, I think is a little out of place. Finally at the bottom you can almost taste the fact that wheat was used in this beer through the spice overload. No alcohol on the palette at all.

Mouthfeel-Perfect, just perfectly plush and luscious without being heavy; it's like liquid cloud or cotton.

Drinkability-Yeah, a growler of this went in less than an hour; super quaffable.

Notes-The only thing preventing me from giving this beer straight 5s is that I don't feel the fennel seeds work in the flavor as intended, they stand out too much and give an unpleasant taste that overrides the other flavors towards the middle. If I brewed this I'd probably cut back on the fennel seeds, if use them at all, and not roast them; they work on the back end of the after taste but no earlier.

Manoftyr, Jul 24, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with nice foamy white head. Not much lacing. This is a crazy beer. Lots going on with the aroma and flavors (which are fairly similar). You really do get waves of different flavors as you finish each sip - it starts off with pepper, transitions into rosemary & herbs, then a little lemony citrus, and finishes with a nice little burst of bitterness.

I can understand why some might not like all of those different elements, but to me they all work together nicely and it was a fun experience drinking this beer. I will gladly drink more of it next time I'm at the Clybourn brewpub - although in my opinion the complexity might limit the overall drinnkability of this one as it is a lot to process with each and every sip!

Very interesting and very tasty!

thetomG, Jul 23, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge, Lisle, IL.

Aroma:This beer smells of sweet malt.

Appearance:Slightly pale gold in color. Minimal head. Great Lacing.

Taste:The great belgium yeast flavor comes through right away. It tastes of orange, lemon, coriander, and a hint of pine. It's just a little bit tangy on the backend. The aftertastes has a pleasant wheaty/nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel:Light body, good carbonation.

Drinkability:This is a nice refreshing beer on a hot summer day.

fear025, Aug 15, 2010

VanillaNice, Nov 28, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap @ the Winking Lizard. One of their "exclusive" Friday tappings, I had to make it out for this one. The name on the menu is "Goose Island White City Imperial White Ale" and it is a Witbier of sorts. But it lives up to it's imperial nature and is a must try for anyone who likes the style and is lucky enough to find this on tap.

Served in an open-mouthed pint glass on a sunny summer day on the patio, this is one great looking brew. Golden orange in color with straw-yellow edges. There's a small 14/ finger white head that sticks around well, but does not leave good lacing (probably it's only fault). very active carbonation is apparent. This is one great looking beer, it almost seems to be capturing the sunlight, wish I could put a few away for those Cleveland January days!

Smell is fantastic. Much more citrus based that I would have thought. Orange peel and corriander provide a wonderful brightness. There's also some white pepper and rosemary, but they're taking a back seat and just adding depth. The star of the show is the wonderful orange and lemon notes, reminding me of orange juice, and culminating in a slight tartness. Brilliant and just shy of perfection due to the lack of noticeable yeast character.

Taste made me say WOW when I took a sip. Teri, my beautiful "wife to be" (gotta say that while I can as our wedding is just 16 days away!) was raving about this being brilliant minutes ago while I had my nose stuck in the glass. Now I've caught up and, as my reward, I instantly see and taste what she's talking about. This is citrus heaven. Sweet belgian candy dances with oranges and lemons. The corriander makes it taste familiar and genre-appropriate. Some wheat malts as well. Touch of fennel, rosemary, and white pepper add spicy depth but never distract. This is really awesome!

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, certainly showing more weight than a normal wit. Nice carbonation makes things move along, and the dry and tart finish leaves things feeling light and refreshing. This is a DAMN good beer, probably one of the best exclusives the Lizard has procured this year. Exceeded my expectations and I would love to have the chance to try this again sometime. Well worth the price of admission, I bet this glass of liquid sunshine would be great any time of year.

jampics2, Aug 18, 2010
White City from Goose Island Beer Co.