King Henry - Goose Island Beer Co.

King HenryKing Henry

Wants: 1,765
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

English Barleywine |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: Kegatron on 08-16-2010

Brewer's notes:
Aged in Pappy Van Winkle 23 bourbon barrels, previously used to age Rare Bourbon County Brand Stout. King Henry is a burgundy hued English-style barleywine with aromas of vanilla, oak, and dark fruit. Caramel and toffee flavors blend together with bold notes of bourbon delivered in a smooth body followed by a malty finish. No matter the occasion, King Henry promises a regal drinking experience.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of King Henry Alström Bros
Reviews: 315 | Hads: 1,422
4.22/5  rDev -8.7%

2011 release

Appearance: A small head caps the fudge colored liquid and quickly becomes a ringlet without leaving much lace behind

Smell: Caramel, figs, dates and chocolate

Taste: Caramel and chocolate, up front, with both citrus and bourbon elements arriving by mid-palate; the bourbon dominates the finish, though there is plenty of caramel to go around

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; a bit of heat in the gullet

Overall: This beer packs a wallop of flavor but at this stage of its development, it is rather hot; I imagine this will improve dramatically over the next year or so

4.77/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz of King Henry

poured into a Deschutes snifter

A - nice dark brown pour with good lacing.

S - lots of bourbon. cherries, fruit, some oak.

T - certainly the best Barleywine I've had. no question about it. Had some good ones and living in Munster I think BA Behemoth is a nice sipper when poured at the brewpub. The first sip of this is overwhelming with TONS of flavor going on. It tastes like a sweet, candied, melted bomb!! Not a lot of alcohol burn at all....very mellow right now which makes it that much better. be careful with this one. And someone please tell me that the last drink of this beer at perfect temp doesn't taste like a chocolate covered pretzel....because it does. awesome!

M - great mouthfeel. done

O - an outstanding beer made by a craft brewery that I remember well learning about craft beer! I think this may be a statement that they are (and haven't lost anything) still pretty damn good at what they do and using barrels is a very very strong suit of theirs. Nice drink right here kids...seek one out at all costs!

4.46/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle served in a snifter.

L - pretty much black with a vigorous pour I got a thin beige head that hung around as a ring for a little while before just going away.

S - vanilla bean, bourbon and a whiff of cocoa powder.

T - sweet vanilla upfront with mellow bourbon smoothing things out, there's a light touch of cocoa before the smooth bourbon flavor finishes things off.

F - medium/full bodied beer that's creamy smooth for sipping.

O - it's a fine barleywine.

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a ruby brown color with a airy khaki head that settled into nothingness, no head.

The aroma is of sweet bourbon. Vanilla and caramel are forefront with light oak. Candied malt body with some berry fruitiness. Very smooth aroma.

The taste is extremely smooth. Velvety caramel with perfect hints of vanilla. The bourbon is flavorful and not hot. Some subtle milk chocolate notes. There is some toffee as well as a candied sweetness.

Incrediably smooth, not much smoother than this. Feels like you are drinking caramel ice cream it is so smooth. The body is moderate to full with soft carbonation. It is sweet on the palate and sticky on the finish. There is a bit of a ABV presence but it is light.

Super tastey sipper, very smooth. Great barelywine

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Oh boy was this a treat when my buddy surprised me with this after me telling him to pass on it when he called me with the price. He felt it necessary as a pseudo Xmas gift/him wanting to see what kind of a beer could net $28 a bottle (see end of review as to why I'll never share a fancy beer that I pay for with him...).

Pours a beautiful dark almost syrupy mahogany color with a small maybe fingerish head that quickly vanishes.

The aroma slams your nose with wonderful bits of oak, strong bourbon, vanilla and bits of brown sugar.

Initial taste overflows the taste buds with wonderous flavors of oak up front which quickly dives into some Vanilla, brown sugar, bits of molasses, some raisins and toffee. Sweet finish but not too sweet in my mind but I've had some serious English Barlywines that were overpoweringly sweet.

Totally a medium to big body with very little to no carbonation which is perfect for this beast. The alcohol is present but man it does not take away from this one.

Overall - do it, get it, drink it, enjoy it with friends. Boy this was a treat I loved it. I'd love to thank my friend for bringing this over.

Followup why I won't buy fancy beer to share with this guy (EX: not sharing my Kate the Great with him). BUT this dude I poured all into a snifter (quarterish full so we could all three of us enjoy it) this dude powered it down, holy cow I think my heart skipped a beat seeing him tip his head back and pour it all down... OH it hurt me bad, so thanks dude but yea I'll keep that 6-er of Schell's on hand for you next time.

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours deep brown with a very small white head. Smells very english in a sence, big malt upfront with a smooth almost candy like bourbon scent on the end no hops to speak of. Tastes of raisins with sweet brown sugar vanilla and oak coming through. Mouthfeel and carbonation for a great barleywine, thick and low carbonation. Overall amazing, more than likely my favorite beer.

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz bottle with bottled on date 10/08/11 poured into snifter reviewed on 12/14/11.

A: Pours a dark amber brown, clear when held to light with thin tan head that disappears about as fast as it appears. No lacing to speak of.

S: Aromas of dark fruit, toffee, oak and vanilla with a fair amount of alcohol which is no surprise here. Alcohol really stands out once it has warmed up a bit.

T: Quite sweet with tons of dark fruit, caramel, oak and alcohol. A fair amount of bourbon, vanilla and brown sugar in there as well. Well balanced and packed with flavor.

M: Medium-full bodied with low-moderate carbonation and sweet finish.

O: Up there with the best barleywines that I have had. Great sipping beer and amazingly easy drinking for how big it is.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from 22oz bomber into Snifter.

A. Pours about a half a finger of head. Ok retention. Very moderate lacing. Color is as dark of brown as you can get before its black. Really almost looks like I just poured an Imperial Stout.

S. Smells like a bourbon barrel. Definitely can tell it was aged in the same barrels as BCS. Where to begin with this one. Caramel, molasses, oak, vanilla, raisins, brown sugar. The caramel, brown sugar, and bourbon meld into an almost rum like aroma. I still get quite a bit of alcohol aroma at this point in the life of King Henry. Get some dark fruit, and even a little cherry smell.

T. Damn! More flavors than I can shake a stick at. Caramel malt, vanilla, oak, brown sugar, raisins, more vanilla, molasses, toffee. This beer drinks and tastes nothing like a 13.5% Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I know BCS has never been this smooth for me without a few years on it. There is no booze taste at all. Very super sweet caramel vanilla glory. One word to describe the flavor of the King would be Luscious.

M. Awesome mouthfeel. Full bodied for sure. Lingering sugary sweetness.

O. Amazing beer. The only thing I have had that compares to this beer is Weyerbacher Insanity, which this blows out of the water. The bourbon flavors on this beer I have only tasted in other beers in BCS and BCS Vanilla. This beer is incredibly smooth for 13.5%. The only way you would know the beer was that high ABV would be by the smell. Goose Island might be the "King Henry" of brewers that can barrel age beers. For anyone reading this review you should seek this out.

4.42/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from the bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter glass. Bottled on October 8th 2011.

An incredibly oily, vinous and viscous looking pour out of the bottle. Color is a nice chestnut dark brown and red with light orange/brown hues on the edges. No foam and barely a collar produced, some minor leg action on this to show off some texture, the few bits of lacing manage to stick in there briefly.

Nose is an amalgam of typical bourbon aging. Some buttery like oak, but mostly anisette and faint caramel. Barleywine angle brings dark fruits coated in caramel sugars/molasses, anisette, rum angle takes over. It smells... like rum fruitcake.

Taste is more of the same. A quite surprising carbonation tinge on the front tongue, melds and playful in the mouth. Toasted brown sugar and dark raisin rum coated fruits. Some mild toffee, maple syrup, without all the cloying stickiness. Caramel rich, no hint of booze.. More anisette and lots of licorice comes out as the beer warms up becoming dominant taking away more of the brews other flavor and qualities. Aftertaste and finish seems to be missing a little, with everything in the front of the palate. Texture seems about solid, with nothing ridiculously notable or particularly faulty.

Pretty impressive, too bad I've never been a fan of fruitcake so take that into consideration. Overall another barrel aged win for the Goose.

4.85/5  rDev +5%

A - Pours a dark mahoganey color with a thin ring of cream colored head. Nice lacing.

S - Very nice barrel aged barleywine smell. Some lightly toasted malts, burnt brown sugars, caramel, slight hops and wonderful pappy barrel smell. The barrels bring out some mild vanilla, wood, and a touch of coconut.

T - Similar to the smell, very sweet. I can feel the carbonation and taste it. The spices are very prevalent in the taste along with some subtle bourbon notes. I am getting some oak here as well.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. astringency from the hops. big boozy feel all over my mouth and throat.

O - Wow, this is easily the surprise of the year for me. I had no idea about this beer until last week and can now say with ease that this is in my top 5 of all-time. I just got into barley wines this year and didn't think anything could beat abacus and this blows it away.

4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

Yeah this one lives up to the hype. This beer is pretty much fantastic.

A big thanks to stbo101 for this one.

A-An incredibly dark red when looked at in the light. Looks like a very dark brown from a distance. Pours almost flat with a very faint light tan head.

S-Lots of toffee and some chocolate.

T-I was expecting a lot more bourbon upfront but that mostly comes in the after taste. Foremost there is a lot of milky chocolate and toffee as well as some caramel. It is such a different beer than anything I am used to simply because of how balanced this is. There is no alcohol taste, just sweet vanilla and chocolate.

M-This is such a smooth beer. There is a slight burn from the alcohol but it is barely noticeable. Perfect carbonation, there is just a faint linger of bubbles making this so slick. The high abv is not accentuated in the slightest bit.

O-When I finished my glass I really wanted more. It is delicious, worthy of any hype it gets and just so perfect. Rarely are beers of such high abv not booze bombs but this one is too smooth. I need more. I cannot express anymore how shocked I am that goose island made such a beer. This is probably the best barleywine I have ever had.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

As rich, powerful, and succulent as any Barleywine that I have tasted. But with exquisit balance and surpring smoothness- is this the premiere Barleywine going forward?

The beer opens with a rusty garnet pour, very viscous, the beer carries an oily visual texture with cordial-like legging upon modest foam light tan and slight orange barley stains. Its overall appearanc is that of rich ale meets brandy.

Mouthwatering and succulent flavors and aromas of bourbon-soaked plubs, dates, cherries, figs, dates, nuts, apples, raisons, and prunes all layer upon the rich barley malt flavor of toffee, maple, brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate. Barrel-rich caramels, vanilla, and vinous woods also offer all the flavor of bourbon but with little of the associated fusal heat. An absolutely delicious staple that sets the bar extremely high for any barleywine wishing to compete for top honors.

Lush textures depend on the sheer weight of the ale plus the creamy and rich medium carbonation that gives an English-like robust textrue that chases the flavors from start to finish. Growing heat rises to provide a long and tawny finish of Port and Sherry with a long and moderate dryness in finish.

I have never been saddened more to see an empty glass as I was after this one finished. I'm an absolute sucker for sweet barleywines and this one delivers with the perfect culmination of all the Barleywine flavors that I appreciate the most. Marvelous on all fronts!

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a deep dark brown/black with a cap of khaki head. Carbonation breaks the surface. Leaves a film/big legs.

S- Sweet sugary caramel covered dark fruits. Some chocolate/toasted vanilla notes mingle with barrel and bourbon. Maybe pick up some cherry and tobacco? Extremely complex.

T- Wow. Follows the nose with caramel, toffee, vanilla, chocolate, dark fruit, and bourbon notes. Finishes with some alcohol and barrel notes.

M- Full bodied with pretty high carbonation. Really helps to clean off the palate, but damn this finish goes for days!

O- Easily the best barleywine I've had and possibly the best beer.

Thanks to SpdKilz for this trade.

This is the best barleywine I have ever had. Pours dark brown with tan head. Smell and flavor shine with a perfectly balanced blend of everything you expect and want from a top-tier bourbon barrel barleywine - bourbon, vanilla, toffee, brown sugar, caramel. It's all there and very polished and refined. Body is fairly thick, but not cloying or syrupy. I am giving this a perfect score because I really can't imagine a bourbon barrel-aged barleywine being any better. This beer isn't missing anything.

4.84/5  rDev +4.8%

bottled on 10/08/11 0915

pours dark clear ruby brown with a small fizzy tan head that fades as fast as it formed

smell - blindfold me and i would think this is GI BCBS - bourbon vanilla tiny bit of chocolate - more toffee and caramel and some rich dark fruit

taste - oak vanilla bourbon hit me right away then the toffee caramel nutty chocolate next to semi sweet dark fruit

mouthfeel is thick syrupy with the perfect fizzy carbonation that is needed to give it the life and the extra zip

overall - an almost perfect beer and one i might enjoy more then BCBS - however the serving size might have been overkill - 12oz bottles would have been perfect

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip on 12/10/11. Shared with the fiance while watching "The Immortals." Thankfully, the beer was better than the movie.

A: Dark brown with minimal head.

S: Enticing nose with caramel and bourbon. A hint of vanilla comes through as well.

T: Buttery caramel and vanilla. The bourbon isn't as prominent as I expected from the nose; it is a smooth and integral part of the flavor, but the whiskey never overpowers. The finish is mostly oak.

M: Full body but not overly viscous. The carbonation is just right.

O: This is one of the best BBA barleywines I've had. Possibly one of the best beers. I expected more bourbon character, but I think they got it exactly right. It's smooth and apparent, but not dominating, allowing the incredible base beer to shine through.

I spent some time to track this one down, and it was completely worth it. I only hope that this will be released again, or that GI will churn out another BBA barleywine during the next BCBS hunting season.

4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

A:Appears to have rich red hues with very little light penetration
S: Smells sweet with definite hints of alcohol
T: Tastes sweet rich molasses, needs to be sipped
M: mouthfeel is well balanced, slightly syrupy
O: I have to say the first barley wine I've enjoyed!

4.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Jackie O's 6th Anniversary 4 oz. snifter...

A: A super dark ruby brown. A beautiful crimson glow around the edges when held to the light. A tiny creamy white head that vanishes almost as quickly as it appears. It dwindles to a thin ring that rims the edges. The color is simply divine.

S: Well, I smelled the bourbon the minute I opened the bottle. Haven't even held the glass to my nose yet and I'm getting a good amount of vanilla bourbon aroma. Let's go in for a closer look, shall we? Oh. my. goodness. Is this the best smelling barleywine ever? It might be. As strong as the bourbon is, it's surprisingly well integrated, allowing the other notes to really shine in the bouquet. The Pappy barrels just give this an incredible complexity and smoothness. Vanilla, ripe cherry, dark plum, some grape, and a decadent chocolate undertone. A quick swirl yields some nice oak notes. The nose seems to change with every swirl. This is right there with Abacus and in a dead heat with MoAS. Spectacular.

T: Goodness gracious is this a thick and smooth beer. Coats the mouth like maple syrup. Caramel and toffee, vanilla, and lots of oak. The bourbon is very well integrated and not offensive in the least. Finishes with a fairly strong booziness, but it is mellowed by the dark fruit and caramel malt. Dark fruit and a splash of chocolate are also lingering in the background. The oakiness dominates the finish a bit, but I think that will settle with some age. It also helps keep this from being an overly sweet barleywine right off the bat, though I have no doubts it will get there with a year or so. Decadent is the only way to describe this brew.

M: I think the mouthfeel was absolutely crushed. Incredible balance, richness, and smoothness for such a fresh barleywine. Positively coats the mouth, but not in a sickly sweet way. I think the beer needs just a little age to let the barrel aging calm down a bit, as the wood notes are all over this on the finish and it has a bit of burn on the back end.

O: Well, Abacus and MoAS have some competition. GI absolutely hit this one out of the park. It's rich, smooth, and decadent. The barrel aging is surprisingly controlled for such a fresh barleywine, but I still think it could use 6 months to a year to reach its peak. That being said, right off the shelf it currently stands as one of the top examples of the style, IMO. An absolute grand slam home run from GI. Would love to see them continue to release this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a CBS snifter. Generously shared by fellow BA CosmicEvan in a Barrel Aged Tasting Extravaganza.

Appears super heavy duty in the glass. It carries practically no head at all but shimmies back and forth like a ruby brown beer pudding.

Smells Insane. Raisins plugged into an amplifier. Its barrel aging is apparent and she smells like she's running on the warm side.

Tastes like the inside of a semi dry fig. There are raisins, prunes, and finishes off with sweet anise (a feat Stone never accomplished!).

Mouthfeel Is outrageous. One of this beer's best attributes. It's so mouth filling it crawls out to your lips and makes them vibrate. It lasts like a chili pepper remains. I also like the way it attacks the back of the throat.

Overall this was an amazing beer that I feel is only rivaled by FSW's Abacus. Goose Island does not let down on this one. Wondering if this was done without too much of the Evil Empire's hand.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

very excited to try this beer...shared with yagman

a - opened the bottle and poured two oversized snifters...poured a shiny ruby red that sat dark in the glass with reddish tints and highlights. one glass poured with a small head, the other nothing, but swirling the glass brought it back to life. lacing stuck to the glass as you move it, but then sludges back down to the surface leaving nary a clue that it was ever there. has a really nice barrel aged shine. (yagman's beer has a foamy heart sitting on the surface after his first sip...for real - )

s - abaca-who? yowza!!! barrel aged barleywine goodness. deep ripened fruits...cherries, figs, plums, yum. i also get a backing of BCBS!!! smells just fantastic. yagman said it is like a raisin through an amplifier...and that is a great way to describe it. good chocolate and sweet notes in there (seems to be from the BCBS barrels?)

t - an incredible barleywine. great grape, plum, raisin flavors...a bit of cloying sweetness in there, but only on the backend and it seems to work really well. the sweetness is very reminiscent of nightstalker and obviously BCBS. the booze is a subtle compliment to the beer and is seemlessly blended in the flavoring. really decadent, like a good malt forward barleywine dipped in boozy chocolate. caramel ooziness.

m - aside from the hugeness of this beer, it is pretty silky and easy to drink. i can take huge gulps of this and find myself yumming from the deliciousness. the heat is kind of invisible to me. tingle in the mouth.

o - when it comes to beer, this sort of embodies what i love about beer. the barrel aging is a *perfect* match for this beer. the barleywine is delightful and the barrel just makes it that much better. the folks at goose island really know how to age a beer in a barrel and i'm not sure if AB was at the helm when this was made, but if so...hats off to you! if not...don't change a damn thing!!!

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottled on October 8, 2011.

Beer is a dark chestnut brown, close to black. A vigorous pour results in a thin, tan head that disappears immediately.

The bourbon and oak scents are just enormous. Huge scent right from the bottle opening. Vanilla is there as well. A nice and enveloping smell but the barrel aspect is a bit overpowering.

The taste is excellent, much more happening than in the nose. The bourbon, oak and vanilla are right upfront, but toffee, brown sugar and raisin are all there as well. Aftertaste is slightly sweet, a bit like molasses, and leaves a very nice taste. For a beer this strong, and given the barrel aging, it is surprisingly well-tamed. Not overly hot, though clearly a monster beer.

Beer is incredibly full bodied, fairly syrupy. Very mild carbonation. Some alcohol heat, but not as much as may be expected for the strength. Very smooth.

Overall, a really excellent beer. From the nose, I was worried that this one would be overpowered by the barrel and too boozy. Not so. Really well integrated, lovely flavours. Would love to try one after a year or so, but I am happy that I managed to get a single bottle. A real treat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dark mohagany color. It appears to be a deep brown unless some light peeks in. The head is off white with a quick lifespan.

Smells of caramel, brown sugar, soy, vanilla, coconut, cola, in no particular order. It's a whirlwind of aromas with no single one dominating.

Wow. What a complexity in the flavor. Vanilla, brown sugar, and oak are at the front, butterscotch, caramel, finished by a cola aftertaste. The most amazing part of the taste is that this is 13.4% abv, aged in bourbon barrels, yet it extracts the flavors without being abrasive.

The mouthfeel is soft, smooth, and mellow. Again, I'm amazed at how little of a burn there is. It's still a sipper because it's heavy and complex so I want to savor every sip.

This is an awesome, awesome beer. I'm going to lay another bottle down for a while and see what it does for it. Put this up near the top of my list of favorites.

4.56/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - burgundy colored body with a thin off white head that settles quickly but whats left has good lacing.

S - big whiffs of bourbon oak alcohol heat and a bit of dark fruit in the back.

T - huge tastes of chocolate raisins bourbon coffee. grass hop finish oh man this thing is intense and amazing.

M - medium bodied with medium carbonation. astringency from the hops. big boozy feel all over my mouth and throat.

O - wow when i first poured this i was not too impressed but man is this one big amazing beer.

4.42/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Pours a dark amber color with a finger of off-white head. Rich bourbon aroma as well as plenty of dark fruits such as raisins and plums. A nice caramel and brown sugar aroma, too. A strong flavor of bourbon, vanilla, and caramel. Heavy on the brown sugar and toffee as well as some dark fruit notes. Medium to full bodied with medium carbonation.

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bottled October 8th, 2011 - Poured into a Goose Island taster...

Pours a nice clear, dark burgundy color with a bit of light tan head that sticks around for a while...

Wow, this beer smells delicious! Rich, sweet caramel and toffee, dark sugars and even a bit of chocolate. The bourbon aspect of this beer, while strong, is so smooth and mellow it is remarkable. The best smelling Barleywine I can remember and one of the better smelling beers period.

This Barleywine tastes as if I have kept it in my cellar for at least two years. Damn. This beer is smooth, any rough edges or sharp corners have been rounded down to give you a smooth decedent treat. Brown sugar and toffee dominate with some creamy vanilla peaking its head out. The bourbon is here in flavor but not in heat, sweet and smooth. Redundant yes, but the beer is just so damn smooth...

Full bodied with lower carbonation. Creamy and coating with just a tiny bit of heat in the end...

This beer is the real deal. The aroma and flavor are spot on for what a barrel aged beer should bring to the table. This beer also shows that better barrels = better barrel aged beer. I only wish I had known how good this was so I could've driven around a bit trying to find another bottle...

King Henry from Goose Island Beer Co.