Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010) - Goose Island Beer Co.

Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010)Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010)

pDev: 6%
Wants: 1,848
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 10-07-2010

Aged 2 years in 23-year old Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Barrels.
Reviews: 349 | Hads: 1,299
4.54/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I saved my 700th review for a truly special beer.

This poured a noticeable thickness with a tawny brown color that had a light edge and a fleeting head. The head built quickly enough and had a relative solid froth but ebbed away suddenly.

The aroma had tons of mellow bourbon, oak barrel, chocolate, fudge, some marshmallow and a nice coffee roast.

The flavors are so thick and full, with chocolate and roasted coffee, lots of creamy bourbon, a touch of woody barrel, molasses and a deep caramel malt.

I have only given one other five on a category but this is so unbelievably smooth that it is deserved. The feel is like velvet and I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable. This coats the mouth and throat with a warm film that is very satisfying.

Beyond the hype this is truly special, delicious and overall a Top 10 in the world. (858 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rob shared this 22oz bottle at our whale tasting yesterday, 7/13/2013. Poured into a BCBS snifter.

Smelling this beer reminds me of regular BCS but on steroids. Very strong nose that has a strong, strong vanilla quotient to it. Lots of roasty coffee and chocolate to go along with it. A good bit of bourbon in the nose.

The appearance of the beer itself is indistinguishable from regular BCS. Yet, it is the same slick, viscous motor oil that actually comes with a nice 1cm mocha head that slowly dissipates. No lacing to be found.

When I do get around to drinking this beer, all I can say that it is decadent. Perhaps its just the aging, but this beer is so thick and creamy. The vanilla here is much more present than in the BCBVS, oddly. A good bit of bourbon flavour without the heat, lots of chocolatey malts of caramel, toffee, molasses. A bit of coconut. Basically regular BCBS on steroids. The mouthfeel on this beer is even more creamy than the other BCBS variants we tasted tonight and this is probably due to both the extended aging in the PvW barrels and the fact that this beer is now 3 years old.

Creamy decadent beer. Rare. Goose Island. That is all that needs to be said. Worth trying at least once, no question about it. And it's worth the trouble. I would like to try a 2010 BCBS at some point to see what the difference is (e.g. is it the 3 years of age on this beer, or is it the Pappy barrels? Or just the 'Rare'?), but this one far outstrips the BCBVS that we had right after this one. Thanks a lot Rob, for sharing this treat and for hosting such a legendary tasting.

Re-reviewed 2/22/2014; #1 in the BCBS Variant lineup tonight, 2/22/2014. Poured into an original Bourbon County Brand Stout snifter. To be honest, this is not what I remember it as reviewed above. Once the beer warms up a bit, I get that nice umami-soy flavor that is also chocolate fudgey decadent, but it just seems to be missing something from the first time I had it. There are also some notes of oxidation, almost a little bit of off-flavours that detract from this a bit. Mouthfeel is still the same as is the nose, but in terms of flavour, I would highly recommend drinking your Rares now unless you are the sole owner of your bottle and have cellared it properly since its release. I'm going to keep the score reflective of the first time I had this beer- Thanks again Rob! (2,378 characters)

4.6/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a great trade with Evan! Bottle #7,397. An aggressive pour produced a pitch black body with almost no head. Only a brief caramel-colored ring and very minimal lacing. The nose is amazing and unique. Tons of chocolate fudge and bourbon up front, along with hints of vanilla, wood, licorice, cocoa nibs, Port wine, dark fruit, tobacco, and black cherries. The taste is incredibly rich and unique. I'm not familiar with Pappy Van Winkle, but it has definitely imparted a different bourbon character than I've ever tasted. Huge chocolate fudge notes along with hints of vanilla, oak, molasses, dark fruits, caramel, toffee, cocoa, licorice, chocolate covered raisins, and tobacco. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, with all the flavor from the booze, but with virtually no heat. Rich and velvety with a creamy, subtle warming finish. Overall, this lived up to the hype. If it would have had more roast character it would have been nearly perfect. (964 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

This is certainly the best BA stout I've ever had. People saying this is falling off just are encountering bad bottles at this point. I've had the 08 BCBS as well, which is very fudgy. The Rare is just as fudgy but with a balancing booziness that complements this beer. Thick, rich, and full of baker's chocolate, light roast, load of vanilla, and plenty of bourbon. This is easily the best BCBS I've had. I don't think Proprietor's compares personally. I would still seek this beer out if you find someone who doesn't warm your first born in exchange. What a treat. (566 characters)

4.6/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle #11344. Shared 4 ways. Reviewed from notes.

Motor oil black with a dark tan head that builds modestly before quickly receding to an imovable collar. Reforms nicely on swirling. Alcohol legs also evident on the swirl.

Rich and pronounced vanilla, coconut, oak, liquorice bullets and chocolate fudge, with hints of dry roast leavening the richness nicely.

Integration of barrel and base beer sublime. Big-time sweetness initially with massive tarry choc-caramel slice and barrel notes, but finishes slightly drier as the roast asserts.

Thick, velvety, luscious. Just adequate, silky smooth carbonation. Hints of ABV but they're wanted. Perfect.

Can not think of another example of a base beer that was absolutely made for the barrel in the way that this is. Uncanny. Only reason I can't give this a perfect score is because I'd prefer more roast to balance out the sweetness. (885 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goose Island Rare Bourbon County Stout is an enormous, delicious, autolysed, ashy imperial stout. I had this at the Goose Island event at Meridian Pint in DC a few months ago.

A: Dark black colour. No head, presumably because it's old. 4

S: Bourbon aroma as well as an extremely string Vegemite aroma from autolysed yeast 3.5

T: Extremely malty and dark with lots of autolysed yeast and ash. Not overpowering. Very woody finish with a little brown sugar. So big. Really nice. 4.5

M: Chewy with low carbonation. 4.5

O: 4.5 (527 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Goose Island Brewing Company Rare Bourbon County Brand Stout, stout aged in bourbon barrels (aged for 2 years in 23-year old Pappy Van Winkle barrels)

, bottle number 3116. I forgot when I bought this, but very few arrived locally, and I never saw one for sale. Luckily, I saw Tyler from Zipp's when he had one left. I hadn't planned on spending $40 or more on a single bottle, but he offered, and I couldn't decline. I'm a sucker that way…sigh…

So, I've been sitting on it, for a landmark beer. Maybe review #1000 on this blog would work? So, I calculated how many of my post weren't beer reviews and came up with the number 31, which may or may not be accurate. And I waited for post #1031, until I got on a tear with those birthday beers, and quickly surpassed that number. At my birthday celebration, Matthew J. suggested that it's prime is coming, since the base beer was brewed in 2008. So, we're at or past 5 years for this.
But it says on the label: "Develops for up to 5 years in the bottle." Well, when was it bottled? I bought it 3 years ago, when it was new. It doesn't say: "develops for 5 years from the brewing date." Bottled on 11/19/2010. We're at just over 2 1/2 years. Let's drink it.

Thick black coloring, slim toasted brown head, starts big, settles quickly. Vast expanse of empty void, a null set.

Aroma: sweet, rich bourbon, with vanilla overtones. cherry and whiskey notes over-ride, dominate, stand tall above. It's all bourbon, baby. Don't need any ice.

Taste: Mmmm. Thick, rich, delicious, plenty of bourbon flavors still on top of the tongue. Ridiculously delicious. So many layers of caramel and dark rum, a little anise, whoa…boom, pow! yeah….huge, slick, sick, and yummy.

Let's see watt the label tells us: "This stout was aged for over two years in the finest barrels Goose Island has used in it's 18 years of bourbon-barrel aging beers. A true rarity, savor and share with only those you hold dear, as it will never be made again. Cheers!"

So, I held on to this to drink on my own, so I can write these notes, but I've got Rollie the Cat, and his pal (and mine) Sonny Boy the Cat. They don't drink beer, though, which is best for me.

I'm barely halfway done with the bottle, and it's richness and deliciousness hasn't even faded or gotten close to dying down. Dense, this, and delectable. Deep and amazing.

Got this one in under the radar, apparently. So good, so incredible. (2,425 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.7%

I am so lucky to add this to my list of beers I have tried.
This is an amazing example of what can be done with the art of brewing, and aging a beer in bourbon barrels.

The beer pours a very dark brown, looking just like bourbon county stout looks.

The smell is a strong spice-filled bourbon. To me, it just really looks and smells like Bourbon County. The taste is where it just goes to a whole new level.

When you first sip this beer, it seems as if the Bourbon taste is about to kill you.
But then it just gets so smooth.
Such a rich complex taste.

Hunaphu is the only other Imperial Stout that I would rate on the same level. (640 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz, Bottle # 1764, Bottled:11/10/10
Lost Abbey TEKU

***This was supposed to be 1,000, but better late than never.***

A: Pitch black color. Reddish hues on edges. Carbonation is minimal. Dark tan bubbles, not really head.

S: Smells so epic. Tons of vanilla and toffee. Roast. Dark chocolate candies. Fudge brownie. Light booze. Molasses.

T: Dark chocolate. Vanilla. Smooth as hell bourbon. Toffee and caramel. Dark fruits. Finish is pretty interesting. Long bourbon and dark chocolate.

M: Full bodied. Round as hell. (522 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from the bottle into a small snifter with many people at Churchkey for the Goose Island event.

Not a good ideal pour or light enough to judge the beers quality, but based on other BCBS brews it's about the same, perhaps even lighter with a very dark walnut brown and a faint light tan collar presented.

The bouquet is exquisite, diverse with many characters, and ones that blur the line for beer and whiskey aging. Molasses, black licorice thickness. Some praline like candy and there is a huge amount of tobacco warmth and incredible barrel notes of oak and wood on this. It smells like a barrel room literally, with the wood angle going from oak, cedar and cigar box. Stunning nose.

The palate comes though as a bit of a shock, mostly because of the mouthfeel. Strangely light bodied, and not that coating, but luckily plenty of backbone and classic roasty characters and the flavors still come through. Felt strangely flat in a way, but the flavors really carry. Large tasting cigar smoke and tinderbox wood. Molasses and sweetness come with a good balance, and barrel charring to match.

Overall it's classic bourbon county, and amped up with incredible tobacco and barrel whiskey char, but it feels like the beer is not at it's pinnacle. I feel after having this while it is incredibly impressive that I missed this beer at its prime. Either way, it is still truly wonderful. (1,391 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottle opned on 8.23.13
Bottle # 975

A - Pours a midnight black with a nice dark brown head that gracefully fades to the edges.

S - Lovely! Whiskey - a touch of sweetness. Hints of caramel, vanilla, chocolate - Crazy!

T - Hits you in stages - whiskey, chocolate, caramel, vanilla.

D - Good carbonation with a heavy body. Sweet and booze.

O - Perfection in a glass. My 35th Birthday treat, but I couldn't drink this after the Hommage and waiting for a friday was a good thing. Loved this beer. (497 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz. bottle poured into a Bourbon County Snifter, split the bottle with Davey101. Bottled on 11/19/10 Bottle Number 3302. Huge thanks to kdmcguire10 for the bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black with a 1/2" tan head that recedes to a nice cap and leaves a whole lot of nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Vanilla,bourbon, and mocha/chocolate all balanced very well in a noticeably complex aroma.

Taste: Rich diversity of flavor starting with barrel character vanilla and bourbon all layered on top of caramel, chocolate, and coffee. You could say that the vanilla was slightly more forward than the other major flavors but not dramatically. The flavor is so deep an so balanced and although you can still taste the bourbon it was not as "Hot" as regular BCBS, in fact it was not as "hot" as the BCBVS from 2010 that I had last week, and I found the vanilla character of the Rare to be more enjoyable than the BCBVS.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and very lush, yet it did not coat the palate.

Overall: A beer that I did not honestly expect to be as good as it's widely known reputation; however, it really was exceptional and very different from any other BA Stout that I've tried. An incredible beer that I never thought I'd ever try, so thanks again to Kris. (1,246 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into HF fest glass. Thanks Alex (ataraxia) for bringing this to Don's birthday tasting. Bottle #2147.

A- Pours a dark opaque black, slight mocha head that retreated at a moderate rate, some translucency around the edges.

S- Dark chocolate malts, nice bourbon balance, slight oxidation. Falling off a little bit but still great, about average aroma strength.

T- Dark chocolate malts, very nice balanced bourbon, slight coffee, a little bit of fudge, some raisins and light dark fruit. Again falling off a tiny bit, not as good as the last time I tried it about 6 months though.

M- Very smooth, nice carbonation for style, very easy to drink.

O- Rare is easily one of the best stouts out there however at this point it's falling off a bit getting a little bit oxidized and losing flavor. Still tastes great but probably not worth what it takes to get at this point. (887 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +2.6%

Tasted blind at a horizontal including Vanilla, Rare, Cherry Rye, Bramble Rye, Coffee '12 and an '09 Bomber. Poured into a snifter at approx 55 degrees. Reviewed from blind tasting notes. 5/6 in the lineup.

A- The lowest carbonation of the bunch, essentially no head formation whatsoever upon pouring. Thick, blackest of black, motor oil appearance.

S- Tons of barrel on the nose as well as bourbon. Some sweetness, almost like a port-like oxidation. In addition, some vanilla.

T- Tons of vanilla, barrel and bourbon. The vanilla is very rich and the most apparent note. Tastes absolutely fantastic.

M- Thick, rich, and lingering. Not much more to be said. Simply fantastic from start to finish. Minimal carb.

O- We actually misidentified this as the '09 bomber, and the '09 bomber as this. To be honest, we all enjoyed the '09 more, although this was the close second out of our ratings by just 1 or 2 total points. We should have been able to guess by the very low levels of carbonation. Either way, this is a fantastic beer, but I think it may have peaked. When I had this back in May, it definitely had a bit more oomph than this bottle. (1,151 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter from cellar temperature. Bottle number 618, bottled on 11/19/10. I've been saving this one for a special occasion.

A- Pours just like regular BCBS, pitch black with a small amount of brown colored head that quickly fades. No carbonation seen, sits calm and still in the glass. Tons of lacing along the sides of the glass also.

S- Great smelling beer as expected. Tons of bourbon and the sting of alcohol dominates the smell. I do notice a difference in the bourbon aroma notes in Rare with the PVW.

T- Fantastic beer. Initially the taste starts strong with the notes of bourbon. Then comes chocolate, coffee, and maybe some dark fruits as well. The bourbon gets smoother as the beer warms as well.

M- Heavy, boozy, dark, and flavorful. A great warming feeling with each sip.

Rare is a fantastic beer. Does it live up to the hype? I don't think so. I'd be just as happy sipping on a regular BCBS or BCBS Coffee that is much more obtainable than this. Still a great beer though and I'm happy I had the opportunity to have it. (1,066 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Split the bottle with angrybabboon and bilco.

Appearance: Deep black. Some rich browns when held to direct light. Clear. Pours like motor oil. Small tan collar with a quickly dissipating head. Thick and still. Very similar to straight BCBS.

Smell: A solid punch of smooth alcohol. Signature Bourbon County sweetness with a bit more depth. Marshmallow and coconut. Loads of vanilla, both from the barrel and the bean. Raisins and dark macerated cherry flesh. Nice solid oakiness through the back. Slightly burnt and roasted. Blends caramel and toffee with some rich cooked sugars. Sweet, a but too much for my taste.

Taste: Roasted marshmallow with some solid vanilla and caramel. Crazy smooth blend of bourbon barrels and Bourbon County. Toasted coconut flesh and sugar. Cooked and caramelized malts. Slight alcohol heat on the back. Raw sugar. Molasses and toffee. Sweet but not too sweet. A bit more balanced than the standard. Crazy smooth. Brown sugar and some oak. Almost delicate. Super complex, but that's expected.

Mouthfeel: Crazy smooth. Creamy. Light to medium carbonation with a slick and oily medium to full body. Surprisingly clean.

Overall: I can't taste the rare. Ahab is sad.

An improvement over BCBS but not quite the legend I expected. A smoother more polished version of the base beer. Nicely complex.

This is an orca among white whales. Big and smooth but not worth what it takes to track down. I'm glad I got a bottle when it was on the shelves. Check it off and move on. (1,503 characters)

4.66/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed 5/4/13

Massive cheers to goblinmunkey7 for sharing this. Split among goblinmunkey7, Bilco, and me.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - Unexpected clarity, nice amount of head, particularly considering the barrel aging - forms a nice wispy head that sticks around, and leaves a few spots of lacing that slowly trickle down the glass - very, very pretty (not just the hype)

Smell: Potent, powerful, and uniquely charming - apparently Pappy Van Winkle smells magical - very clean, woody bourbon with some clean, refined alcohol smells (definitely different than a bottle of Jim Beam, for instance) - some vanilla, and some grains - this aromas merge quite well with the stout base - chocolate malts, caramel - dark chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate brownies, dark chocolate cake - nicely burnt and charred

Taste: Absurdly rich and decadent with loads of depth - the bourbon is so well-balanced with the BCBS base that I don't even know where to start - burnt and charred malts, caramelized malts, burnt sugar - vanilla, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, brownies, cake, semisweet chocolate chips - roasty with some nice coffee notes - rich bourbon notes - wood, grains, and some absurdly smooth alcohol - some heat, but it should be expected - overall, maybe a little too burnt and sticky - demands to be sipped, but could be consumed a lot faster

Mouthfeel: Borderline unbelievably smooth, nice level of heaviness, full body, nice carbonation

Overall: Yes it's magical, but I wouldn't trade any valuable organs for it

This is a notably, undeniably, seriously amazing beer. But it's not the best beer I've ever had. Maybe, if I absolutely adored bourbon (and Pappy), this would have absolutely blown my mind. This may have delivered a few cracks to my cranium, but this is not life changing. If you can find this, it's definitely worth the original $50 price tag. But I wouldn't trade much more for it. (1,911 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +5.1%

Quick notes. 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Bottle #2209, bottled on 11/19/2010. Huge thanks to Doug for slaying my number one want by sharing a pour with me!

Appearance wise it is identical to BCBS, no surprise there. Having never had the 2008 vintage which this beer is using, I can say its awfully similar to how the 2009 vintage is drinking now. There is a stronger vanilla presence and it is smoother and mellower than the standard beer. Just loads of chocolate, charred malt, and rich and decadent bourbon. It drinks far too easily, which is sad considering how elusive it is now. A marginal improvement over standard BCBS, but when that is your favorite beer it truly does matter. Such a beautiful beer that I'm glad to have finally tried. (749 characters)

4.56/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Mike for letting me indulge in this one with him for only the cost of a Bramble Rye. Extremely generous of him, Mike is a true BA. Never thought I'd get the chance to try this one, so let's see if it lives up to the hype. Bottle #1485. It pours a deep, sludgy black color; much like used motor oil. Barely any head forms; it's more of a deep tan skin that barely grazes the top of the brew. Even with some swirling, the head never reaches more than a few millimeters in size. Lots of wet legging left behind, but nothing in terms of lace.

As expected, the aroma is powerful and robust. Huge bouts of dark-ass fudge lead the way, sweet and lightly bitter. Not far behind is the bourbon - strong, yet with unremarkable smoothness; miles from being "hot". Hell, it's hardly even warm. Lots of vanilla hopping around, as well as a large oak presence from the barrel. Roasted malts are hidden in the background and play a back-up role, yes they still add another element to the profile. Rare provides a very complex aromatic experience indeed, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's any more complex than the original Bourbon County, albeit maybe slightly more refined and polished.

The first sip is awesome, to say the least. My senses are first jarred by the luscious amounts of chocolate - huge waves of cocoa nibs and rich fudge, accompanied with a deep, residual sweetness. Vanilla booms in and out of a large river of melted brown sugar and molasses, a nice combination from the heavy malt and large barrel effects. Somewhere about halfway through, the sweetness amps up and starts to resemble overripe, dark fruits; bruised prunes and dates, all smothered in a bath of brown sugar. Only a few sips into this and the complexity that it's offering is already borderline mind-blowing.

I can't believe I've made it this far through the flavor description without mentioning the bourbon, because believe me - the bourbon never loses its kick and never goes unnoticed. Strong oak accompanies some of the smoothest and most mellow interruptions of bourbon that I've ever tasted. It's amazing how the bourbon can be both so strong and so mellow at once, not getting hot or harsh. More vanilla and oak show up in the aftertaste with a mild touch of coconut. The large sweetness of this brew is offset very nicely by the heavy roast and bourbon warmth - a devastating combo. After each sip, your palate is left with reminders of oak, bourbon, fudge, and brown sugar. Smooth as smooth can be on the mouth, heavy and full bodied to the max, almost no carbonation.

Well, what to say about this one? Phenomenal beer, truly. Is it really worth the acclaim, though? It's tough to say. There's no doubt this is an excellent beer and a great representation of the complexity that the style can have. But I still don't believe it's worth three or four times the price of a regular BCS. Mike and I had a '12 BCS right after this, and the biggest noticeable difference was that it was a bit "hot" compared to the Rare. There's no denying the fact that two years in PVW 23 barrels gave the beer quite some time to mellow, not to mention the 2+ years it's been since the bottling date. Compared to an '08 BCS I had not too long ago, though, I would say it isn't far off. At least, not enough to warrant the large price increase.

Nevertheless, I'm extremely stoked and very grateful for the chance to try this one. Again, huge thanks to Mike for his generosity. Definitely one of the best beers out there, although the hype train had built it up a little too much for me. I'd take a few four packs of regular BCS over a single bottle of this, but that's just one man's opinion. I may even prefer the Coffee and Bramble variants over Rare as well, just for their variety and largely discernible flavor differences. Rare is fantastic, although it comes off as a super polished version of the original BCS - something you can closely emulate by sitting on your BCS bottle for 3+ years rather than drinking them fresh. (4,018 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed Masters Sunday first half in the AM, the rest during the last 2 holes and ensuing playoff. Great finish. Bourbon bomb with notes of chocolate and coconut. The usual gorgeous appearance and thick mouthfeel, the best in the business. Spicy bourbon. Overall, while outstanding, my least favorite of the four bourbon counties Ive had (2012 regular, coffee, cherry) and the only one I didnt score a perfect 5. But definitely the most bourbon forward beer. Wish I could have tried it fresh in 2010. (500 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

been wait too try this for a while, split two ways into a lost abbey teku

A- pitch black motor oil, tan head. Standard.

S- amazing, sweet bourbon at first followed by lots of chocolate with hints of vanilla.

T- following the nose.

M- sticky bourbon, full bodied.

O- a wonderful beer. so glad i got to try it, defiantly a step up from the original bcbs. (360 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A friend of mine was nice enough to share a bottle of this with me and 2 other friends. Served at cellar temperature into a snifter.

A - Pours jet black with about 1 finger of rich, khaki colored head

S - Smells of bourbon and creamy chocolate. However, I was really hoping for a little bit more bourbon aroma.

T - Subtle bourbon up front, followed by a wave of chocolate, molasses, and vanilla. Very easy to drink, but I have to slow myself down because I know that I probably won't be tasting this again. Given the opportunity though, I could drink much more of this than regular BCS.

M - Full bodied. The mouthfeel was almost spot on. My favorite aspect of this beer. It's thick and chewy, but also creamy at the same time.

O - I was the only one of my friends tasting this that had not had it earlier. Everyone else said that it was much more "hot" a year ago with more bourbon barrel flavor. However, I still think this is drinking really nicely right now and most people will actually appreciate the fact that it is a bit toned down now and the flavors really melt together nicely. I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg to try one... but I'm glad that I did. (1,164 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark, almost black. Low to no head, no lace.

S - Soy sauce, malt, wood, booze, complex combination of smells. HOT.

T - Nice blend of all the smell variables.

M - Good carbo, medium to heavy body, fair balance.

D - Very tasty. Been waiting a long time to try this one. (275 characters)

4.56/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out really black like a malty motor oil. 1/2 finger of brown suds that leave lacing all around the tulip glass.
Aroma is charred malt and dark chocolate with raisin bread and sugar creme bourbon.
Taste is coffee and dark chocolate malt with raisin bread. The alcohol is well hiden but the aftertaste yeilds a strong phenol quality.
Mouthfeel is very oily and sticky and the burbon lingers in the palate for quite some time.
Overall this is badass and is one of the better bourbon stouts I have had. Mellow and warm. (521 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Opened by CurtisMcArthur at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Somehow I've never tried this before despite owning multiple bottles so I really appreciate the chance to finally drink it.

Pours essentially black, maybe just a hint of brown, some coffee colored head floating around.

Smell is huge vanilla, oaky bourbon, chocolate fudge, caramel and all the other good stuff you want to smell in big BA stouts. Smells awesome.

Taste is huge but soft bourbon, lots of fudge and vanilla. Huge flavors and very sweet, but subtle and even delicate. Heavenly.

Mouthfeel is nice, you can still notice the alcohol but it's plenty drinkable regardless, and feels great, full and rich and creamy.

Anyone who says this is "over the hill" or oxidized is full of shit. Can't speak to whether it is better or worse than it was a year ago or whatever, but it's still damn good. Not the very best stout I've had, but somewhere up there close.

9.5/10 (932 characters)

Rare Bourbon County Stout (2010) from Goose Island Beer Co.