Join our email list →

Derby - Chocolate Mint Julep Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Derby - Chocolate Mint Julep Stout
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Goose Island Beer Co.
Illinois, United States | website

Milk / Sweet Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: cadaugherty on 11-15-2010

A sweet stout infused with dark chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, and peppermint. Aged in a Heaven Hill 18-year-old Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.
3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

On tap at FoBAB. Reviewed from notes as I've finally decided to get through this backlog once and for all.

A - Black beer with a bit of a khaki head that dissipated to a fine ring with a few random spots left on the sides.

S - Chocolate, vanilla, some wood. I may have been in the minority but I got a ton of mint off of this. I'm not a huge fan of mint, but this is tolerable with the chocolate and other things.

T - Quite a bit of mint. I think I'm just hypersensitive to it because it was far and away the most dominating flavor for me. Lots of chocolate with a touch of bourbon and vanilla, and a tiny bit of oak. Seems to deliver on its promise, and good for what it is.

M - Smooth, lower carbonation, slightly thinned out for some reason, but not bad.

O - This is a good beer for people who like mint and chocolate. I'm not really a huge fan of either, so it was hard for me to drink a ton of. I can appreciate it for being what it is though, and would recommend people try this as it is a different experience.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

On-tap at FoBAB 2010.

Appearance- Dark with a rich creamy head reminiscent of BCBS

Smell- Chocolate and malt right upfront, with a bit of effort you can get a slight smell of mint.

Taste- There is the mint. Stands out significantly in the beer but is not overpowering. Overall the taste of this beer is exactly what the name describes, a chocolate mint stout. I think it was wise to use a sweet stout as opposed to BCS as a base beer, it keeps the flavors from being to overpowering and making the drinker forget it is a beer and not a liqueur.

Mouth- Rich but not overpowering, very satisfying since I was afraid the beer would be heavy as all hell.

Drink- I could put down a pint of this beer quite easily and be ready for more.

A great and unique offering from GI that shows the care they take with entries for FoBAB.

Derby - Chocolate Mint Julep Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.