Old Max - Goose Island Beer Co.

Old Max
No picture.

pDev: n/a
Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-13-2011

Danish/American stout in collaboration with Amager Bryghus aged one year in Pappy Van Winkle and Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels and spiked with Brettanomyces.
4.5/5  rDev n/a

Had on tap at Happy Gnome during craft beer week in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

A: Dark but not pitch black, had some alright carbonation but left quickly.

S: I can smell the brett for sure, but it is working nicely. I had the infected 09' Abyss and that was awful but this is interesting for sure. Chocolate, malt and maybe some bourbon?

T: Awesome, damn I was not expecting this. Its hard to describe. A little funky on the after taste but up front its sweet then leads into a sour dryness, this is just fantastic.

M: Kind of thin but not too thin, I think for the style (whatever that is) it works well.

O: I really enjoyed it and I hope they bottle this because I am looking forward to trying it again sometime. (716 characters)

4.14/5  rDev n/a

Had at the Happy Gnome during Craft Beer week. Taken from notes.

A - Pours black just like the other bourbon barrel stouts tonight. A touch more head on this one than the others.

S - Wow is that interesting. A mix of hay, wet grass and a hint of bourbon. No chocolate or malt to speak of in the nose.

T - Up front is a brett funk, leather and some acidity in the back. Some bourbon, I wish more, but enough to know its been barrel aged. Not what I was expecting from this but funky enough to enjoy

M - The brett really thinned this beer out. A low carb worked well for the style. Not too sour, nothing lingers too long on the palate

O - This is an interesting beer. I was intruiged to try it though I was hoping for more bourbon to come thru. A nice funky stout, different and enjoyable (791 characters)

2.51/5  rDev n/a

A-Black color, finely carbonated off white head
S-A hint of yeast, some roasted malt
T-Hints of bourbon with a touch of bug spray and Brett yeast funk
M-Smooth bodied, very creamy, nice
D-The bourbon sting is a little too much for me
O-Did not care for the combination of Brettomyces and bourbon stout. This beer is an unique one but does not hit the mark for my taste buds. (374 characters)

3.43/5  rDev n/a

A - Looks a little flat, but not bad. Black beer with an off-white head that faded into nothingness rather quickly.

S - Just weird, not sure what to make of it. I get brett with a little bit of vinous notes, along with some undertones of bourbon and oak and a slight souring quality. It wasn't off-putting, and made me want to drink it, so I'd say that's in the plus category.

T - Odd taste, not a big stout like an RIS, but perhaps "english" is a more approriate label. Definitely a brett beer, finishing a little bit sour. There is some barrel in there and hints of bourbon, but it's buried for me in the brett and somewhat lactic sourness taste.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation, almost vinous qualities make if finish a little dry.

D - Not sure on the ABV, this is definitly one to try as it is quite different and still manages to be good, but I couldn't drink tons of it, merely average in that category. (924 characters)

4.27/5  rDev n/a

I had several pours of this beer at Goose Island's Stout Fest yesterday. It was one of the most surprising beers of the day. This beer poured a medium bodied lifeless black with a light white foamy head. The aromas were of coffee, oak, roasted malts, brett, funk, with light mint. It was definitely interesting. The flavor consisted of an interesting combination of coffee, leather, brett, mint, and funk. The first thing I thought of was the beer "Porticus", a porter with brett. That's the closest beer I can relate this to. It drank rather smoothly and was quite good. It was definitely an interesting experience. This beer was very drinkable. I hope they end up bottling this. (680 characters)

4.02/5  rDev n/a

I have no idea what style to list this under. It's a collaboration beer with Amager, in which a stout underwent secondary fermentation with brettanomyces in bourbon barrels. I suppose the closest analogy is a pre-stainless steel English stout?

A - Pours with a thin white foam that settles to a thin ring and a few wispy bubbles on-top. The body is pitch black.

S - Sharp oak, bourbon, vinegary notes, saltiness, roasted malt, and lactic sourness. It was definitely unique, and was strangely compelling as well.

T - A mix of bretty tropical fruits, semisweet cocoa, and a finish that consists of brininess and vinegar sourness. It's complex and provocative, but also gets a bit fatiguing, particular on the second and subsequent pours.

M - Medium-light body, medium carbonation, dry finish. Not sure of the ABV, but there's no obvious alcohol.

D - It's a good beer, but probably not something of which I'd want to imbibe large quantities. A style-expanding beer that will likely have a niche following. I can't decide if it's retro-historical, or nouveau cutting edge. (1,073 characters)

Old Max from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.