Double B - Goose Island Beer Co.

Double B

Beer added by: AgentZero on 04-07-2011

to view more.
Ratings: 15 | Reviews: 6
4.21/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm not sure why others have given this such a poor rating but I'm also the only review to have had it from a bottle rather on tap.
Not exactly cellared but have had it hanging around for a good 6-7 months.

Pours a great ruby/brown color,almost port like in appearance.

I'm w/ Chaney about the Oud Bruin,in fact when I 1st poured the beer I had to double check the label,everything about this beer (to me) seemed to be a Flemmish red / oud bruin rather than a dubbel.
As the beer warms it gives off a cherry character.

As far as the taste it slightly reminds me of a Duchess,semi sweet at 1st and as it warms it tends to fade to a slight tart cherry.

Overall I was really impressed w/ this beer,would like to be able to have another someday.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Served in a tulip glass at the Clybourn brewpub.

That's indeed how the "double" homophone is spelled here, kids. Learn it. Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy amber-garnet topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises light toffee, light walnut, light mandarin orange, and very light cocoa. The taste holds notes of rich caramel, oak, walnut, chestnut, and light cocoa. A bit too nutty for me, frankly. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, a nice dubbel, but I just didn't take to the nuttiness very much. Still pretty solid other than that, though.

4.44/5  rDev +22.7%

I had this on tap at the Clybourn location.

A: Poured a cloudy, blood red color, with only a few bubbles on the surface posing as a head.

S: If someone had asked me what this was just judging by smell, I would have guess Flanders Aud Bruin. Everyone else in my party who I let take a whiff said the same thing.

T: I didn't quite get the same sort of funky sourness that I got on the nose, but I did manage to get a good bit of dark fruit. The marketing speak on this one said figs, but I say cherries. There wasn't much Belgian funk on this one at all.... But I got quite a bit of Brett.

M: I got a mild bit of prickle from the carbonation, and I would used the word tart to describe this rather than sweet. This had a nice, slick, refreshing finish, with little to no lacing.

O: I would have to have a microscope to detect anything that even resembled a dubbel in this one to my mind, but that aside, this was the best brew I had all night.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Draught @ Clybourn Brewpub: Served in a tulip glass. This one poured a clear, dark caramel color. There was almost no head and no lacing. The nose is good. Caramel, sourness and some candi sugar to the nose. There is a subdued sweet caramel malt . There is that Brett sourness nicely balancing out some of that sweetness. Definitely lots of malts. Maybe some dark fruits also. Very Nice!

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

A Belgian Dubbel with Brett, eh? What could go wrong? Served in a taster pint glass.

A - Served with a finger of off-white foam that settles to a persistent cap, but no lacework. Transparent golden reddish-brown color.

S - Smells exactly as described - an infected dubbel. A mixed of gauze and band-aid, funky and musky, a touch of sweaty horse, and a backdrop of sweet cocoa, candi sugar, and caramel malt that comes out more as the beer warms up. I initially found it largely off-putting, but after a while it became somewhat enjoyable.

T - Taste is worse, as it's mostly brett, and unfortunately the medicinal kind. Finishes lightly sour, like lemon cold remedy. There's some light milk chocolate mid-palate, but it's largely fleeting.

M - Dry, medium-full body, with medium-low carbonation. Pleasant smooth texture, with only light alcohol warmth by the end of my glass.

D - I suppose it's one of the top five infected dubbels I've had. However, it leaves me largely convinced that brett doesn't belong in this style of beer. It was the last of my taster flight to get finished, and not because I wanted to savor it.

I find it interesting to see that AgentZero doesn't even mention the brett character in his review from three weeks ago. Perhaps this has just gotten out of hand by now?

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Brown beer that looked a little gold on the edges with a small head that didn't leave a ton in the way of lacing.

S - Smell is dominated by sweet caramel and a touch of honey and brown sugar. There is some just a slight bit of belgian yeast.

T - Caramel dominated, it's sweet, with some dark fruits that are a bit light somehow. Sugar, honey and just a touch of "belgian" in there. Quite easy to get down, if not a bit sweet.

M - Syrupy, medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Worked well for the beer.

O - Solid dubbel, easy to drink. Kind of a one note beer with caramel sweetness, but the fruity taste adds a little character to it.

to view more.
Double B from Goose Island Beer Co.