1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon County Stout With Cherry Bark - Goose Island Beer Co.

Bourbon County Stout With Cherry Bark
No picture uploaded.

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

2010 batch of Bourbon County Brand Stout infused with wild cherry bark and aged in 12-14 year old Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: joshuaseresse on 05-24-2011)
View: Beers (269) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2 | Reviews: 2
Alpar

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Luckily I made my way up to Minnesota for craft beer week and got to try this rare piece of goose!

A: Dark black no head just like the other Bourbon County beers.

S: Really nice. I could smell the cherry in it but not overpowering or nasty/cheap smelling like a maraschino cherry is. Getting strong bourbon notes, I wonder if this was made with the 2010 version because it smells like a fresh BCBS.

T: Damn that is good! Like a chocolate covered cherry. Very sweet and bourbony but I love both those things in stouts so yeah this is doing it for me. It is a fresh Bourbon County but the cherry flavor seems to balance that "hotness" a bit.

O: Yet another grand slam in my eyes for the bourbon county style. I am really lucky to have tried this and I have to admit I drank about 4-5 of these that night. Spectacular.

05-31-2011 20:35:53 | More by Alpar
joshuaseresse

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this on-tap at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul. It said that it was Bourbon County Stout Fruit with Cherry Bark. I was confused since there was already listed a Bourbon County Brand Cherry Stout on this site, so I called the brewery. This is what I was given as a response about this beer that I had:

Hi Josh,

I just spoke with our brewer who handles all of the bourbon barrel projects, and he said that the BCS Fruit was brewed from a 2010 batch of our regular bourbon county brand stout that was infused with wild cherry bark and aged in 12-14 year old Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels. It was the only keg made, so you’re lucky you got to try it. The BCS Cherry Stout was brewed from a 2009 batch of our regular bourbon county brand stout that later had Michigan cherries added to the barrels. It was also aged in Rye barrels as opposed to bourbon. The cherries used are the same that we use in one of our newest beers, Madame Rose.

So, with that said, I do feel pretty lucky. Served as a 5oz pour into little tasters. I had two of them:

A - Black with a mocha amber ring of foam around the edges. Splotchy lacing but pretty decent. Not too much in the way of heavy carbonation.

S - Bourbon, roast, chocolate cake, fudge, damp wood and sweet cherries. Vanilla and a bit of lactose.

T - Really follows the nose. Heavier on the bourbon. Wood, cherries, tad bit of roast and milk chocolate. Bit of a whiskey flavoring too.

M - Really smooth and creamy. The heat is there but well done. No really carbonation but understandable for 13%.

O - A real treat to have. I absolutely love Bourbon County Stout and all the other variations they have, but to have it with cherry bark...interesting, unique and delicious. I really enjoyed this brew and thought about driving up to the cities tonight and drink as much of it as I can, but I just can't today. Must try if you are up in the area. Like the e-mail said, its the only keg, so you people from the Twin Cities...get some!

05-24-2011 19:59:30 | More by joshuaseresse
Bourbon County Stout With Cherry Bark from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.