Gillian - Goose Island Beer Co.

GillianGillian

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 08-12-2011

Gillian - Saison with Strawberry, Honey, and White Pepper

Alias of Scully:  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... 1549/61122
3.74/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A - Light yellow with an orange haze. Small amount of carbonation sits on top

S - Strawberries, passion fruit, tart lemon, and slight sweet tarts.

T - Strawberries up front, light vinegar and sweet tart. Pepper spice in the back

M - Really thick, much thicker than I'd like. Kinda chewy overall. Finish is dry

O - Another solid sour from GI but I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with Halia. Good strawberry presence and the pepper is there but light

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%

How a fruit beer should be done for ever and always. The strawberry is subtle, much more so than the raspberry in Lolita, but dead-on. There is no cloying sweetness, it is tart, dry, a little funky, and wonderfully carbonated - nice and prickly to keep the beer light. My favorite is still Lolita, but what a well-balanced wild fruit ale.

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Version

A - Pours a slightly cloudy apple juice color with a fizzy one finger head that dissipates pretty and doesn't stay around to say hello. Lacing and retention are minimal.

S - Funky yeast characteristics and sweet berry aroma to start off. The latter has a white wine tart character and more of a belgian quality.

T - To me, the belgian yeast is much more evident throughout on the taste. It really follows the nose, in my opinion. Really good funk, strawberry sweetness, some lemon and a little white pepper.

M - Lighter bodied and medium carbonation. Crisp body and effervescent.

O - Really enjoyable take on the style. The strawberries and tartness are a treat.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Cloudy pale pastel yellow. Forms a smallish, fizzy white head that reduces to absolutely nothingness fairly quickly. No lacing.

S: Aroma is quite pleasant. Typical Saison notes: yeasty esters, fruity, and fresh. With some bright berry notes and hints of pepper.

T: Tastes is similar. Very inviting. Again there are those typical Saison flavors: yeasty, slightly peppery, and lemony. But then there is another layer of flavor. Strawberry, hay, mildly vinous. Maybe some Brett notes, though I question if I am perceiving the white pepper as Brett.

M: Lighter bodied with a effervescent carbonation. Mildy prickly. Tart, but not quite sour.

O: A very nice take on the style. Rather enjoyable.

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My friend brought over a bottle of Goose Island's Gillian to share. I really wanted to try some of the new Belgian inspired beers that Goose Island recently released and I was pretty happy when my friend brought over a couple to try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on September 11 2013. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's pretty simple, but I think it looks pretty classy. It poured a cloudy bright yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually disappeared and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but i wish the lacing and the head retention were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a really slight honey like aroma to it followed by a good amount of funky yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some funky, barnyard, and wet hay like aromas that really stand out. Up next comes the strawberrys which were a little lighter then I expected but they impart a nice light strawberry aroma with some fruity sweetness in the background. Towards the end a little bit of barrel comes through imparting a dry white wine like aroma that was on the light side. The aroma was pretty good but I thought it could have a little better balance.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that still had the really light honey aspect to it and it was followed by strawberrys being the first to show up and they impart a light natural strawberry like flavor with some fruity sweetness and a little bit of generic berry flavors in the background. Up next comes the yeast which really shows up and it imparts all the those funky barnyard and farmhouse like quality's that I got in the aroma. Towards the end there's a light spicy flavor with some light dry white wine flavors with an equally light wood flavor that isn't too noticeable and its followed by a medium amount of tartness that was just slightly sour with a fruity and funky aftertaste. This was very nice tasting beer, but with a little more balance I think it could be awesome.

M- Fairly smooth, medium tart, lively, crisp, medium bodied with a good amount of higher medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style with no off flavors or anything that stuck out as not being true to style, I enjoyed it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, lively, not too filling, and the taste did a good job of holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, I think half the bottle would be the perfect amount but I wouldn't rule out drinking the who bottle if I had the chance and I think this would be a perfect summertime brew. What I liked the most about this beer was the complexity, there were some nice layers to this beer that did a great hob at holding my attention. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it wasn't bad by any means, but I thought yeast stuck out a little too much and I would like to see some of those other flavors come out a little more to balance out that yeast. I would for sure buy this beer again, my friend payed $12 for this beer and I think that's a fair price and I would for sure pick one up if I saw it on the shelf. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I have been craving something funky for a little while and this beer did a good job at fulfilling that. Good job guys, like i said before I'm not the biggest Good Island fan, but I really like this Belgian series they do and I have yet to be disappointed by one, keep up the good work and I'll keep a look out for more beers from this series.

Gillian from Goose Island Beer Co.