Neapolitan Bourbon County Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Neapolitan Bourbon County Stout
No picture uploaded.

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with Vanilla beans, Cacao Nibs, and Strawberries.

(Beer added by: Chriscrundwell12 on 08-21-2011)

4.25/5  rDev -10.5%

4.6/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at GTMW. Black pour with a small brown head. Wicked aroma of barrels, similar to regular BCS, but with a touch more fudge and vanilla. Tart berries at first with plenty of milk chocolate and vanilla. It tastes like melted neapolitan ice cream and then transitions into lingering barrel aging and roast. Very nice!

4.58/5  rDev -3.6%

Enjoyed at the Great Taste.
Pours black with a faint tannish head. The nose was basically bourbon county stout (bourbon, roasted coffee and malts, a touch of chocolate) with a nice vanilla-strawberry flavor. The taste is fantastic. The normal bourbon county is offset fantastically by the sweeter flavors of strawberry vanilla. I don't notice a dramatic uptick in the chocolate flavors, but they are present. This is on the sweeter side of the stout spectrum, but the sweetness all feels right. The strawberry flavor is not super fake tasting. The mouth feel is pretty similar to what bourbon county stout people are familiar with - big and viscous with a nice, medium light carbonation. Honestly, I thought this beer would be a gimmick and I almost didn't even bother. I am glad I did though because this beer truly delivered. One of the best of the fest.

4.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Sample pour at Great Taste of the midwest.

As with all BCBS variatals pours out a thick dark black, with no head to speak of. A small ring of bubbles hangs out, but no foam.

Wow. I love BCBS. Roasted malt, bourbon, some espresso, a bit of vanilla, a surprising strawberry presence, and sublte chocolate all hit the nose. It took a minute to get all the flavors, but they were there. Neapolotin BCBS indeed!

Incredible taste. Subtle, smooth, well blended. Sweeter than most beers (which is how I prefer my barrel aged stouts). Thick lightly roasted malts, bourbon, a surprisingly stron strawberry flavor, some vanilla, and yes, a bit of chocolate at the end. I'm surprised that this one doesn't feel muddy with all that's happening - but it doesn't. Flavors swirl together and complement each other while remaining distinct. I'm not sure that I'd want to drink a full bomber of this - but a 4 oz pour is spectacular.

This beer is thick, viscous, chewey, smooth and creamy. It may look flat, but it is indeed appropriately carbonated.

Overall - fantastic beer. One of the stars of the day for me.

4.75/5  rDev 0%

A generous pour into a cervoise at the Great Taste of the Midwest.

Appearance: Like I expect from an Bourbon County variant, this is pitch black. Watching the pour, a small tan head resulted from a straight vertical pour into the glass, but it did not last long. A ring remained for the duration.

Smell: It took a minute for this to really open up in the nose. The usual bourbon county notes are most apparent. Full roasted malt, some light espresso, some bourbon, and a little chocolate. After letting it warm up for a minute, some nice vanilla notes and surprisingly vibrant strawberry aromas come out as well.

Taste: This falls on the sweeter side of the Bourbon County variants I have had, and on the sweeter side of bourbon barrel stouts in general. Full chewy roasted malt blends with dark chocolate and bourbon up front. A burst of vanilla comes through next, and finally, strong chocolate covered strawberries dipped in bourbon. Just an incredible flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thick, viscous, and chewy. I love how creamy Bourbon County becomes with time on it, and the full creaminess complements the flavors perfectly. The carbonation blends so well with the viscous nature of the beer so if I close my eyes I can easily envision Neapolitan ice cream. Full bodied, like all of the variations.

Overall: This was incredible. Each one of the flavors is distinct, which is no small accomplishment. One of my worries for a beer like this would be that the flavors would blend together and lose definition, but this was not the case! Delicious.

4.8/5  rDev +1.1%

on Tap at GTMW. Normally, I would not do a review in a situation like this, but due to rarity of the product, the fact that the line was so long that my palate was clean by the time I had some, and the fact that I have this circled for weeks as my one beer I had to try, I actually, nerd that I am, took a few notes.

A-Dark, pitch black. A small amount of head (tan colored) which disappeared shortly thereafter. Not uncommon for bbal beers though.

S-The first smell was very much just like regular BCS. On the second pass though and as I got away from the crowd, I detected some chocolate...yes, there it is and a faint hint of strawberries. More to the point as well, a stronger vanilla presence came through on the third pass and there you have it, all the parts of Neopolitan ice cream.

T/M- Bourbon at the beginning, strong and sweet. Vanilla then comes through. Chocolate/dark roast. Maybe a touch of strawberry right before the finish, but if I didn't know it was in there, I might not have been able to guess it. The strawberries kind of fade into the vanilla. The mouthfeel is thick, sticky, strong, and bold. Everthing one would expect from BCS.

Overall- I was not disappointed that I spent so much time in line waiting for this beer. It lived up to everything I hoped for (I really feared the strawberries would be overdone and ruin the effect).

4.58/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured on tap at The Great Taste of the Midwest 2011. 5 oz pour into a tasting glass.

A- Pours a pitch black motor oil color, thin ½ finger brown head that dissipates to nothing, very minimal lacing, really typical looking for Goose Islands Bourbon Barrel aged Stouts.
S- The aroma is very similar to regular Bourbon County Stout but with delicious strawberries and vanilla standing out, big chocolate aroma as well. Really complex smelling beer, nice big bourbon aroma lingering out, I cannot wait to try this one.
T- Wow this is incredibly tasty, big bourbon flavor upfront that I have grown accustomed too with Goose Islands Barrel Aged Stouts, rich vanilla really stands out as well, the strawberries that were added to this beer are perfectly blended with the vanilla and chocolate, dark roasted malts, slight coffee, oak presence, just a lot going on.
M- Big mouth feel, decent carbonation, really smooth and creamy, thick body, coats the palate.
O- One of the more surprising and delicious beers I had at this year’s festival. Its everything you love in BCS with Neapolitan flavors added, I sure hope they bottle this beer, perfect dessert brew.

Neapolitan Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.