Speyside 5000 - Goose Island Beer Co.

Speyside 5000
No picture uploaded.

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-21-2012)

klipper, May 13, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I guess I'm going to call this cask, as it was served straight from a barrel.

A - Looks pretty still. Very dark brown, near-black body, with some sticky legs to it.

S - Unlike most Scotch beers I've had the whisky is actually well-integrated with notes of peat, smoke, oak, and iodine working in concert with the roast and chocolate notes of the base beer (which I'm assuming is Batch 5000 porter). As it warms up the Speyside barrel takes over a little, with perhaps a hint of permanent marker, but it's still far more balanced than anything from Brewdog. Reminds me a little of Nøgne's Highland Imperial Stout.

T - Taste is quite similar to the aroma, with salty, brackish, and peaty whisky, perhaps some tobacco, as well as a solid backdrop of cocoa, molasses, and roasted grains. Very well-integrated - a rarity in the world of Scotch barrel beers.

M - Largely still, medium-bodied, with a chewy and soft texture, and minimal alcohol warmth. A tad watery - I'm suspicious as to whether there was live yeast in this cask.

D - A surprise hit for me - I've had very few beers that successfully utilized Scotch whisky barrels. I heard that only 40% of this was in the barrel for an extended period of time, and that doesn't surprise me considering how thoroughly these barrels have obliterated bigger beers. Best in moderate quantities, but I'd definitely love to see Goose Island do more experiments with Scotch barrels in the future.

MasterSki, Mar 21, 2012
Speyside 5000 from Goose Island Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.