Cherry Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island Beer Co.

Cherry Rye Bourbon County Brand StoutCherry Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout

Goose Island Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ChugginOil on 11-22-2012)

KevMo84, Aug 25, 2014

GregoryMo, Aug 24, 2014

beerhan, Aug 21, 2014

One of the best of the best.
From Tap. Poured into a Pint Glass (unfortunately was all we had).
The nose is sweet. Cherries.
Pours dark, almost black, well pretty much black. Lil to no head.
The flavors of the bourbon stout mixed with cherries creates a luscious dense sweetness. Chocolate and Cherries.

FATKIDREVOLUTION, Aug 20, 2014

Chibeerguy1, Aug 03, 2014

spham, Aug 02, 2014
4.41/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter. Bottled on 11/12/12.

Appearance: Pours jet black with a thin light brown head. Not much lacing.

Smell: Bourbon-soaked cherries, rich dark chocolate, oak, hints of coffee. Very complex with an impressive amount of depth, but stays quite balanced. Nowhere near the bourbon onslaught of original BCBS (granted this beer is almost 2 years old at this point).

Taste: Cherry hits first, followed by bourbon and chocolate. Hints of vanilla, followed by a lot more cherry on the finish. Gets fairly sweet, although there is a nice tartness from the cherry that comes in on the finish to barely keep the sweetness in check. Not much alcohol heat on the finish. Overall not quite as balanced as the aroma - the cherry takes over a bit too much for my liking. Still incredibly good.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with medium-to-low carbonation. I'm really liking that mild tartness from the cherry.

Overall: I would be shocked if I ever had a BCBS variant that wasn't excellent and this certainly doesn't break that mold. Still, when compared to its brethren I find this to be on the lower end of the spectrum due to a bit too much cherry/sweetness.

emyers, Aug 02, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

HoppySeb, Aug 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Getalegup, Aug 01, 2014
4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served as the start to the goose island themed tasting (we did start with Fred from Hair of the Dog). Short notes from 7/27/14. Bottled 11/12/12. Served in a snifter.

Backstory:
I initially got this beer set aside for me as when I worked at a liquor store. I found it in the dense clutter of bottles in one of the walk-ins and asked if I could buy it off the owner. He said yes, because it was around my birthday and every since I've been waiting to crack it. Almost two years later and I'm ready to see how this thing turned out.

A&S: Black colored beer, and maybe it is strictly out of suggestion, but there is a red hue to this brew. No head and no sign of carbonation bubbles. Initially the aroma was close to the smell of black forest cake. Other tones included vanilla, bourbon tones, sweet malts.

T&M: This beer probably did one of the more interesting things I have seen beer do. Most beers when they develop there is a frame shift in taste/smell or a blending of previous presences with new ones. This brew when from primarily cocoa to a nice mix of cocoa and cherries (the black forest) to mostly cherries, then back to chocolate like tones, THAN back to cherries! It was bizarre, and I wasn't just me who experienced these changes. At times the fruitiness was a little much but you only had to wait a couple of minutes and it was a good mix again. The other tones were similar to the aroma. Very thick, creamy, and smooth. Low carbonation.

Overall: Probably in the top 5 beers I have tried this year. Didn't exceed the hype I put on it, but most certainly meet it completely. If you are thinking of cracking this one soon, it was a good time for me.

minterro, Jul 31, 2014

MNBeerGeek, Jul 31, 2014

dangelop, Jul 29, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Not my first time having this beer, but first time I'm writing a review for it.
Opening for my wife's birthday, bottled 11/12/12.

A: Typical BC mocha head, with a faint red hue when held in the right light.

S: I love this smell. If I could make this into an air freshener for my car, I would. Rye up front, still a faint smell of cherry, which is great considering this bottle is leaning towards two years old. Chocolate and rye really take over in the nose.

T: Wow, still packs a cherry punch that isn't overwhelming in most cherry-flavored beers. Not medicinal in the least bit. A perfect mix of an excellent base beer with a complementing cherry flavor. Cherry, chocolate, rye, so damn good.

M: One of my favor parts of BC and it's variants are the mouthfeel. Perfect thickness.

Overall, a great variant. I would love to see them make this again.

Gameover170, Jul 28, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +8%

cultclassic89, Jul 25, 2014

FrankHammer, Jul 24, 2014

TheBronze, Jul 22, 2014
Cherry Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout from Goose Island Beer Co.