Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter - Willoughby Brewing

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee PorterWilloughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

Willoughby Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: neenerzig on 09-27-2008

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

64 ounce growler
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - This magical elixir is dark as night. There is absolutely no light getting through this beer. There were a couple fingers of cocoa head on top.

S - I get rich, roasted coffee with hints of peanut butter.

T - Wow! This beer has tons of flavor. I get a lot of coffee flavor. I really have to search for the peanut butter. It reminds me a lot of Java from Southern Tier.

M - Thick as mud and smooth as silk.

O - I LOVE this beer. It tastes like it belongs in Southern Tiers Blackwater Series. It is rich and delicious. My only complaint would be that the peanut butter is not prevalent enough in the taste. I have been after this beer for four years and am so glad I finally made the two hour trek to try it. (771 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Happy Dog in Cleveland. Very clean appearance for a porter, very dark color, nice head. The smell didn't have the overly sweet smell I anticipated for a beer with the words "Peanut Butter Cup" in the name. Smell overall was pleasant and mild. The taste is really the most amazing thing I've had in a very long time. It was everything it said it was, but in the most balanced and appealing way. Subtle hints of chocolate, peanut butter and coffee, all contained in a very balanced porter. Excellent beer, I get one every time I'm there now. (562 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Very good beer. Nice peanut butter aroma and slight peanut butter taste. Creamy brown head that lingers some. Wonderful coffee flavor as it warms just a bit. One of my favorites. (178 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark dark brown, almost black with a two finger healthy tan head. Smell is amazing, lots of espresso, plenty of peanut butter, nice milk chocolate, there's other subtleties but honestly who cares, those aspects alone are enough to make this one of the best smelling beers I've had. Taste is equally amazing, starts with tons of chocolate and peanut butter, coffee flavors from start to finish, roasty, slightly smoky, nice sweetness that isn't overpowering, so damn smooth. Texture is so enjoyable, loaded with flavor but dangerously drinkable. Overall, it's clear that I love this beer. I feel like I've had some of the best beer around and this is up there with 'em. The thing that sets this apart is the style, honestly to take a porter and make it so unique is so impressive, it's typical to rave about stouts and DIPAs, but a porter, usually the redhead stepchild. Do not ever pass this up, I wish they bottled this so I could get it in Columbus.

Sidenote- we grabbed a growler at the brewery, the food is amazing too, worth a stop if you're in the Cleveland area.

Well this review has been exhausting (1,116 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%

From growler to standard pint...

A: Impenetrable black with a finger of light brown head. Very good lacing down the sides and head retention is solid.

S: Amazing. Smells just like its namesake, the Peanut Butter Cup. Lots of peanut butter, chocolate, and just a bit of coffee roast. Smells absolutely delicious. Spectacular.

T: Lots of roasted coffee, creamy peanut butter, and some cocoa. Coffee is very well-integrated here, with a much more subtle, luxurious flavor profile than some other coffee porters I have had which were harsh. Very well integrated flavors. Highly sessionable at that. Great.

M: Full bodied but with only moderate carbonation. Superbly creamy mouthfeel. It's complex and full flavored, but not cloying or sticky in the least. Very good.

O: Truly an achievement. This could have been an overly sweet, syrupy mess. But Willoughby Brewing has crafted a fine porter, with loads of flavor but plenty of balance. And all that at a relatively light ABV. The smell on this is just perfect. And the taste is very nearly. A master work of a beer, interesting and delicious. Well done. (1,106 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

We went to a wedding in Willoughby and I had to hit the brewery up the next day. So I made my wife come along too... She was my ride, so I guess I had to.

Anyway, I'd had this beer at a beer fest and remember loving it, but not remembering much else because I was already quite intoxicated when we hit this table up. I remember being like "holy shit, I've always wanted to try a peanutbutter infused porter or stout" and holy shit, there it was.

So I got a growler of it. I had intended on drinking it over the course of a few days, but once I tasted it I couldn't stop. It was amazing. The appearance was a good example of the style, nothing exceptional; just a cloudy dark brown bordering on black and some dark tan-brown head. The aroma, on the other hand, was freaking amazing. I practically soiled myself with excitement. And when I say practically I mean 'almost'... kind of, just don't ask them about the stain in the seat.

The taste was exceptional, coffee hitting first and finishing with peanutbuttery goodness. The dark roasted malts played well over the infused flavors.

It's more than an hour to drive back out there, but I'm looking for excuses. (1,164 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the brewery.

Black coffee in appearance and a creamy off-white head. The chocolate notes are obvious and most importantly with this one just a hint of the peanut butter flavor toward the end. I was a bit nervous with this one because of the peanut butter, but was nicely balanced, kudos on that. At 30 IBU, like the Gutterpup, it was not very bitter at all. Overall was very smooth with a nice sweetness. (419 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Willoughbys. Served in a 16 oz pint glass:

A - dark brown, can see a little light when held up. Not very much head with minimal lacing. Served at about 42F. Bartender suggested to let it warm up...

S - a faint coffee with abundant roasted malt. A whiff of Peanut Butter as served. But as it warms the Peanut Butter aroma improves

T - an interesting paradox, the aroma of the peanut butter improved as it warmed but the coffee taste became more accentuated as it warmed. So as it warms you get a nice whiff of peanut butter then the taste of coffee. The perfect balance seemed to be around 50-52F.

M - a little bit thin, and not much carbonation. But the beauty in this is the aroma and the flavor.

O - happy to finally get to try this one. Bought a Growler to go to share with some friends. Overall maybe a bit thin but its a fun beer and I would definitely recommend. (883 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

I was in a wedding this past Saturday. We stopped at the brewery during the time between the ceremony and the reception. I asked the bartender, 'What be your best brew?'. He replied the one they're most know for is their Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter.

Sweet Jesus this is delicious. Great mixture of peanut butter and coffee tastes. As you first take a drink, it tastes peanut butter. Delicious peanut butter all up in your mouth! As you swallow, you get the taste of coffee and the bitterness from it. Really, really, really good. (534 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Infinite thanks goes to my brother JM03 for this gem!

Pours mostly fully black with a tan head.

The aroma is killer. You really get peanut butter, mixed with a tinge of chocolate, but even with a massive roasted coffee bean aroma, you still can pick everything up!

The taste is a perfect marriage between a peanut butter cup and some coffee beans. Slight bitter, but very roasty and sweet.

For a low abv stout, the feel is nearing full bodied with a nice creamy texture.

So smooth, so drinkable, so f*cking tasty! (521 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 64oz growler to nonic Imperial pint glass on 3/17/12
*From notes

-- Purchased at the brewpub on 1/17/12, and shared with good friends & family on St. Patty's Day 2012 --

A: Rich chocolate brown. A gentle pour yields a killer 1.5 finger mocha head that lingers for ages. The lacing and dense collar are seriously impressive.

S: Like stodgy peanut butter. As it warms, a touch of diner coffee and earth comes to light. The chocolate is there, but it takes on more of a supporting role.

T: Bloody awesome. Mounds of chocolate and a nutty profile that really does come off like a liquid Reese's. It's more milk cocoa, and there's a charred malt and medium roast coffee bite to the beer which reminds you that this isn't just for dessert.

M: This things drinks like a much bigger beer then it actually is. Thick, creamy and rich - not too dissimilar to a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

O: Killer stuff. Willoughby has rocked it with this one. I don't quite know how they do it, but god damn if this isn't unique and utterly approachable. Seek this out by the gallon. (1,076 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Currently available on draft at World of Beer - Easton.

Smell is all peanut butter. Taste is light peanut butter and coffee. Very smooth and drinkable porter. (159 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

The head showed a high carbonated body but it settled well into a tight knit froth. The color was a deep shade of chocolatey brown.

The aroma is so Devine that I was reluctant to drink it for the possible disappointment. Roasted coffee, emphasis on the roast, is strong and seductive with maple syrup, Graham cracker and tinges of peanut butter.

The taste is absolutely tremendous with strong roasted overtones of coffee followed by creamy caramel, toffee, butterscotch and even hints of vanilla. There's also evidence of the peanut butter cup amongst all these creamy dessert tastes.

The feel is smooth and creamy but this does hold an odd thinness that seems counter to the to the overall feel.

I had this during a tasting where FW, TF, Toppling Goliath and Deschutes were showcased and Willoughby stood out as the hands down winner. (839 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Willoughby Brewing Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter is an American Porter that pours nearly jet black...Did the iPhone flashlight test, completely opaque, almost black with slight brown on the edges~ Head is off white that was about two fingers, dissipates rather quickly~ Aroma is Roasted Coffee, Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Malt, Milk, really just heavy Coffee and almost a burnt Coffee smell~ Feel is Smooth, Bold and Robust, mild yet smooth carbonation a touch Dry~ Taste is really unique, HUGE COFFEE and Chocolate, evens out nicely with Peanut Butter, Vanilla, Hazelnut, Caramel, Brown Sugar, Toffee and more roasted Columbia/French roast coffee grounds~ Nice bitter sweet finish, with some pronounced Earthy Hop Tones, done nicely, a bit rich and sweet, still rather sessionable Overall: 92 (794 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into my Great Lakes glass. Black in color with a thin tan head barely covering the top of the beer. Not a big head, but what was there stuck around well into drinking it.

The aroma shows off all the flavors it's named for and brings them together very well. I get more of a raw peanut flavor to it, but it's not overdone at all thankfully. The roasted coffee really stands out in it as well. The dark, sweeter chocolate seems to bring it all together. Really good aroma to it overall, it's got a lot going on but the favors really work well together.

The coffee and dark chocolate come out a little more in the taste. The peanut flavor seems a little more reserved in the taste, but does add some really cool and complimenting flavors to it. All the flavors are really well done and very complimenting of each other. The coffee and chocolate flavors are really impressive alone, but the peanut twist puts them over the top.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being moderate. If there is any criticism I have for t it would be that it could use a little more body. For all the bold flavors it just seemed a little light. I'd love this to have a thicker, creamy mouthfeel that some oats could provide.

Overall, I thought that this was a really awesome beer. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so I was hoping that the peanut component wasn't overwhelming. They nailed the flavors though, they come together so well and are extremely complementing of each other as well. It definitely reminded me of a peanut butter cup with a strong coffee twist to it, which is as good as it sounds. Very flavorful and smooth drinking beer. I enjoyed this one a lot and thought it was a really awesome beer. (1,745 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

A - very dark, almost completely opaque. Looks like a stout.

S - lots of coffee and chocolate. Can pick out a faint peanut butter aroma.

T - so nice! Peanut butter is a bit more pronounced than on the nose. I could do with even more of it, honestly.

M - a bit thinner than expected. I know it's a porter, but given the visual density and big flavors, I would like a bit more to chew on here.

O - I'm really glad I finally got to try this. At 5.5% abv, I would usually expect it to be higher, given the flavors. It's still big and bold, though. Thoroughly enjoyable. (573 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fresh the same day the growler was filled; notes are recent

A solid-looking porter, it's a very dark brown with a solid tan head of creamy froth that displays good retention and lacing via some thick speckling in abundance.
Roast coffee and raw peanut are fresh and most prominent on the nose. I didn't actually realize it was a coffee beer (many people mistakenly leave the coffee out when talking about it, for some reason), but the coffee is like freshly ground dark roast. It brings out some good chocolaty notes, but they lie more underneath.
Seemingly unlike some experiences, I found it to be more developed in the flavor. Peanut comes off as fresh and raw as well as salted, oily and refined with a bit of sweetness added. Coffee is still upfront but doesn't keep the peanut butter cup from showing as it should. Smooth chocolate notes are well developed.
The body is on the more robust end of medium, with a nice sweetness keeping with the beer's theme and profile versus a dryness, of which a little contributes to balance. It's got a nice, smooth creaminess throughout and just enough bite for the style. (1,117 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a Crowler into a pint glass
A: Dark brown with a two-finger head
S: Like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup was dropped into a cup of coffee. It's got the total cocoa-pb-coffee mix along with some chocolate malts
T: Just like the nose. A great blend & balance of flavors. Adds touch of hops
M: Medium-bodied, somewhat creamy, a hint of sweetness/bitterness
O: Great flavors, good complexity. Definitely a winner (416 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Willoughby Brewing Co.

Opaque elixir in pint glass, one-finger mocha head, thick lacing.

PB, toffee, sweet malt, hint of coffee.

The malt and coffee are nicely balanced by the PB, with a smooth, lingering bitterness at the end. The PB is more assertive as the brew warms.

Medium body, not a thick porter, well carbonated.

Probably their best beer. I brought a growler of this down to Tampa for a Thursday Pre-Huna tasting and the PB Porter received very high marks. (480 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

@WesMantooth Bless You Sir!!!

This OHIO gem was gratefully received from said gentleman in NBS BIF #1
Pours a rich mahogany roast that roils forth a mocha colored froth that bursts with peanut butter aroma. Oh My God! The smell is amazing.
Flavors inclide a slightly chocolaty malt, a nice gentle roast, some coffee, and a tad of peanut butter that leans toward malt powder.
The mouthfeel is fine, just under chewy. And the finish leaves a melange of the chocolate, peanut butter, malt, and subtle roast.
But...going back to the nose. Thankfully this is a big can. (Of which I want MORE). So I poured some more, a hard pour. Let that bad boy foam up a good 3 fingers. Ahhh, bliss. I could smell this for hours. But, now the experiment: I start sipping pure head, and it's mainly like it smells. Wow! Peanut Butter with malt in the backseat.
I wonder how snorting this would be.

Thanks @WesMantooth! (954 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A nice dark beer. Big chocolate and coffee aroma with a hint of the peanut butter. Flavors are similar and are very well blended together to make a really smooth beer. (169 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Brewery, The name of this "Almost" scared me away. But the name also "intrigued" me. I was pleasantly surprised. Poured Black, with a small foamy head. Aroma was Pure Chocolate and Dark Coffee Beans. Taste was the same, a blast of Dark coffee, Chocolate, roasted malt....very smooth, and not too sweet. I didn't taste peanut butter till the finish, which I think was a perfect place to be. Nice job. Wish I brought my growler. (440 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had at the restaurant

A-Black (no shit) with a nice tan head that appeared on the creamy side. a little bit of lacing

S-Peanut butter, chocolate and coffee. they're all here! the peanut butter really intrigued me. smelled very pleasing.

T/M-MMM, a medium-heavy body to me (to best of my knowledge). a little carbonation and pretty creamy. tasted of coffe first, then came the sweet chocolaty peanut butter (homer gurgle). this was fantastic

O-I really enjoyed this beauty. will totally grab a growler of it. (512 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft ordered from the $5 bottle-room bar at Vintage Estates, served in a snifter. They seem to have Willoughby beer on draft every time I come here, and I never see it anywhere else, so I figure this is my chance to try it.

Reviews written from notes I scribbled onto my iPhone during the visit last week.

A: pours pitch black, with a nice thin tan head on top that dissipated quickly.

S: not a big nose. Muted notes of roasted malts and peanut butter.

T: smooth, hefty, with an undercurrent of coffee flavor that arrives early and remain throughout. Peanut Butter flavor explodes onto the scene and dominates throughout. I was a bit nervous as to how this would turn out, by it really works. A touch of bittering hops near the back end balance things out nicely, and add just a touch of grapefruit and pine that contrast nicely with the other more dominant flavors.

M: thick and hefty, with a great, dry finish.

D/O: I liked this beer so much i ordered a second one. I'm doing this rating based on that second pint. Highly drinkable. Would buy this by the keg if I could. (1,079 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Growler shared at Top Hops.

Crazy beer! Pours black with a tan head, decent retention and lace. Big time peanut butter chocolate Reese's aroma...that's pretty much all I get, little in the way of coffee, maybe a touch of roastiness. Smells like candy and I can't wait to dig in.

This is a tasty one; it's just a little toned down from the aroma, still packs a fair amount of peanut butter and sweet milk chocolate flavor, but it's not a total liquid candy bar. There's a bit more roasted malt and coffee aspect here but there is no doubt peanut butter is the dominant flavor note.

Medium-full bodied, a bit sticky, with smooth carbonation. I felt like it could have been even creamier and fuller to go with the dessert-like nature of the beer but that's nit-picking. Haven't had many peanut butter beers but this is the one if that's your thing. (848 characters)

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter from Willoughby Brewing