1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter - Willoughby Brewing

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter
No picture uploaded.

Willoughby Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: neenerzig on 09-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 164 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
brewtus

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark dark brown, almost black with a two finger healthy tan head. Smell is amazing, lots of espresso, plenty of peanut butter, nice milk chocolate, there's other subtleties but honestly who cares, those aspects alone are enough to make this one of the best smelling beers I've had. Taste is equally amazing, starts with tons of chocolate and peanut butter, coffee flavors from start to finish, roasty, slightly smoky, nice sweetness that isn't overpowering, so damn smooth. Texture is so enjoyable, loaded with flavor but dangerously drinkable. Overall, it's clear that I love this beer. I feel like I've had some of the best beer around and this is up there with 'em. The thing that sets this apart is the style, honestly to take a porter and make it so unique is so impressive, it's typical to rave about stouts and DIPAs, but a porter, usually the redhead stepchild. Do not ever pass this up, I wish they bottled this so I could get it in Columbus.

Sidenote- we grabbed a growler at the brewery, the food is amazing too, worth a stop if you're in the Cleveland area.

Well this review has been exhausting

03-08-2014 03:11:15 | More by brewtus
BrewUSA

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Willoughby Brewing Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter is an American Porter that pours nearly jet black...Did the iPhone flashlight test, completely opaque, almost black with slight brown on the edges~ Head is off white that was about two fingers, dissipates rather quickly~ Aroma is Roasted Coffee, Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Malt, Milk, really just heavy Coffee and almost a burnt Coffee smell~ Feel is Smooth, Bold and Robust, mild yet smooth carbonation a touch Dry~ Taste is really unique, HUGE COFFEE and Chocolate, evens out nicely with Peanut Butter, Vanilla, Hazelnut, Caramel, Brown Sugar, Toffee and more roasted Columbia/French roast coffee grounds~ Nice bitter sweet finish, with some pronounced Earthy Hop Tones, done nicely, a bit rich and sweet, still rather sessionable Overall: 92

01-19-2014 22:39:31 | More by BrewUSA
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

The head showed a high carbonated body but it settled well into a tight knit froth. The color was a deep shade of chocolatey brown.

The aroma is so Devine that I was reluctant to drink it for the possible disappointment. Roasted coffee, emphasis on the roast, is strong and seductive with maple syrup, Graham cracker and tinges of peanut butter.

The taste is absolutely tremendous with strong roasted overtones of coffee followed by creamy caramel, toffee, butterscotch and even hints of vanilla. There's also evidence of the peanut butter cup amongst all these creamy dessert tastes.

The feel is smooth and creamy but this does hold an odd thinness that seems counter to the to the overall feel.

I had this during a tasting where FW, TF, Toppling Goliath and Deschutes were showcased and Willoughby stood out as the hands down winner.

01-04-2014 16:46:52 | More by KYGunner
MasterSki

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Growler shared by Aniela. Thanks! Served in a pint glass.

A - Tan, peanut butter-colored foam settles to wisps and a thick collar, leaving behind minimal lacework. Dark brown body that's appropriate for a lower ABV porter.

S - Super roasty, with a great peanut butter cup vibe to it. Dry roasted peanuts, chocolate, lightly sugary malts, and coffee. Potent and delicious.

T - The taste isn't quite as successful. Coffee flavor is overly bitter and is amplified by an astringent nuttiness (think Brazil or hazelnut), and there's less peanut butter and chocolate goodness here. Again very roasty, but unbalanced.

M - Smooth, medium body, with lower growler-style carbonation. Dry, roasty, and a tad tannic, and perhaps slightly watery as well. Either needs more heft or more spritz.

D - Great aroma, but a bit disappointing after that initial promise. I'd like to try it on-tap somewhere or at the source, as I think the growler may have impacted the feel (and perhaps flavor).

08-13-2013 16:02:49 | More by MasterSki
bcm75

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - very dark, almost completely opaque. Looks like a stout.

S - lots of coffee and chocolate. Can pick out a faint peanut butter aroma.

T - so nice! Peanut butter is a bit more pronounced than on the nose. I could do with even more of it, honestly.

M - a bit thinner than expected. I know it's a porter, but given the visual density and big flavors, I would like a bit more to chew on here.

O - I'm really glad I finally got to try this. At 5.5% abv, I would usually expect it to be higher, given the flavors. It's still big and bold, though. Thoroughly enjoyable.

06-19-2013 23:06:07 | More by bcm75
buschbeer

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

64 ounce growler
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - This magical elixir is dark as night. There is absolutely no light getting through this beer. There were a couple fingers of cocoa head on top.

S - I get rich, roasted coffee with hints of peanut butter.

T - Wow! This beer has tons of flavor. I get a lot of coffee flavor. I really have to search for the peanut butter. It reminds me a lot of Java from Southern Tier.

M - Thick as mud and smooth as silk.

O - I LOVE this beer. It tastes like it belongs in Southern Tiers Blackwater Series. It is rich and delicious. My only complaint would be that the peanut butter is not prevalent enough in the taste. I have been after this beer for four years and am so glad I finally made the two hour trek to try it.

06-16-2013 23:38:55 | More by buschbeer
Rifugium

3.64/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Veldrid for the trade!

Poured from the growler into a Hair of the Dog tulip, very dark brown with a solid finger of tan head that retained well, rejuvenating with a swirl; minimal lacing. Aroma was coffee-forward, roasty dark malts, virtually nothing in the way of peanut butter, but this characteristic came out a bit more as it warmed. The taste was almost completely dominated by coffee. It was good coffee, smooth and slightly bitter, but where was the peanut butter cup? Dark malts lent a good balance of sweetness and roasty bitterness, mild unsweetened chocolate, and a slight earthiness. As with the aroma, the peanut butter came out a bit more as it warmed, but the coffee pretty much conquered all. For a porter, the mouthfeel was great, smooth, robust, medium-full body. Overall a solid brew, but disappointing. Sure it was good as a coffee porter, but I guess I expected more on the peanut butter cup side, as the name promised, and it just wasn't happening.

06-13-2013 00:04:00 | More by Rifugium
billab914

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into my Great Lakes glass. Black in color with a thin tan head barely covering the top of the beer. Not a big head, but what was there stuck around well into drinking it.

The aroma shows off all the flavors it's named for and brings them together very well. I get more of a raw peanut flavor to it, but it's not overdone at all thankfully. The roasted coffee really stands out in it as well. The dark, sweeter chocolate seems to bring it all together. Really good aroma to it overall, it's got a lot going on but the favors really work well together.

The coffee and dark chocolate come out a little more in the taste. The peanut flavor seems a little more reserved in the taste, but does add some really cool and complimenting flavors to it. All the flavors are really well done and very complimenting of each other. The coffee and chocolate flavors are really impressive alone, but the peanut twist puts them over the top.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being moderate. If there is any criticism I have for t it would be that it could use a little more body. For all the bold flavors it just seemed a little light. I'd love this to have a thicker, creamy mouthfeel that some oats could provide.

Overall, I thought that this was a really awesome beer. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so I was hoping that the peanut component wasn't overwhelming. They nailed the flavors though, they come together so well and are extremely complementing of each other as well. It definitely reminded me of a peanut butter cup with a strong coffee twist to it, which is as good as it sounds. Very flavorful and smooth drinking beer. I enjoyed this one a lot and thought it was a really awesome beer.

11-12-2012 00:06:08 | More by billab914
tobelerone

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Growler shared at Top Hops.

Crazy beer! Pours black with a tan head, decent retention and lace. Big time peanut butter chocolate Reese's aroma...that's pretty much all I get, little in the way of coffee, maybe a touch of roastiness. Smells like candy and I can't wait to dig in.

This is a tasty one; it's just a little toned down from the aroma, still packs a fair amount of peanut butter and sweet milk chocolate flavor, but it's not a total liquid candy bar. There's a bit more roasted malt and coffee aspect here but there is no doubt peanut butter is the dominant flavor note.

Medium-full bodied, a bit sticky, with smooth carbonation. I felt like it could have been even creamier and fuller to go with the dessert-like nature of the beer but that's nit-picking. Haven't had many peanut butter beers but this is the one if that's your thing.

10-23-2012 18:28:46 | More by tobelerone
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Infinite thanks goes to my brother JM03 for this gem!

Pours mostly fully black with a tan head.

The aroma is killer. You really get peanut butter, mixed with a tinge of chocolate, but even with a massive roasted coffee bean aroma, you still can pick everything up!

The taste is a perfect marriage between a peanut butter cup and some coffee beans. Slight bitter, but very roasty and sweet.

For a low abv stout, the feel is nearing full bodied with a nice creamy texture.

So smooth, so drinkable, so f*cking tasty!

05-04-2012 01:57:37 | More by EgadBananas
Florida9

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Fairly translucent. Forms a thin dark tan head that leaves no lacing.

S: Lots of toast and peanut butter. Cocoa to a lesser extent and a bit of coffee.

T: Lots of roasted malts and coffee. Roasted peanuts, dry chocolate, cocoa powder, and coffee grounds.

M: Medium bodied and beyond chalky to the point of being grainy.

O: A decent beer, but a little harsh in my opinion. While this one has an interesting complexity, I don't feel as if the flavors really blend all that well together.

04-11-2012 01:56:16 | More by Florida9
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 64oz growler to nonic Imperial pint glass on 3/17/12
*From notes

-- Purchased at the brewpub on 1/17/12, and shared with good friends & family on St. Patty's Day 2012 --

A: Rich chocolate brown. A gentle pour yields a killer 1.5 finger mocha head that lingers for ages. The lacing and dense collar are seriously impressive.

S: Like stodgy peanut butter. As it warms, a touch of diner coffee and earth comes to light. The chocolate is there, but it takes on more of a supporting role.

T: Bloody awesome. Mounds of chocolate and a nutty profile that really does come off like a liquid Reese's. It's more milk cocoa, and there's a charred malt and medium roast coffee bite to the beer which reminds you that this isn't just for dessert.

M: This things drinks like a much bigger beer then it actually is. Thick, creamy and rich - not too dissimilar to a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

O: Killer stuff. Willoughby has rocked it with this one. I don't quite know how they do it, but god damn if this isn't unique and utterly approachable. Seek this out by the gallon.

03-22-2012 21:41:46 | More by Rhettroactive
siege06nd

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

From growler to standard pint...

A: Impenetrable black with a finger of light brown head. Very good lacing down the sides and head retention is solid.

S: Amazing. Smells just like its namesake, the Peanut Butter Cup. Lots of peanut butter, chocolate, and just a bit of coffee roast. Smells absolutely delicious. Spectacular.

T: Lots of roasted coffee, creamy peanut butter, and some cocoa. Coffee is very well-integrated here, with a much more subtle, luxurious flavor profile than some other coffee porters I have had which were harsh. Very well integrated flavors. Highly sessionable at that. Great.

M: Full bodied but with only moderate carbonation. Superbly creamy mouthfeel. It's complex and full flavored, but not cloying or sticky in the least. Very good.

O: Truly an achievement. This could have been an overly sweet, syrupy mess. But Willoughby Brewing has crafted a fine porter, with loads of flavor but plenty of balance. And all that at a relatively light ABV. The smell on this is just perfect. And the taste is very nearly. A master work of a beer, interesting and delicious. Well done.

01-20-2012 02:54:17 | More by siege06nd
CurtisLoew

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade... thanks man! Enjoyed during Sunday football.

Growler showed up in perfect condition. Still tons of carbonation. I couldn't wait to try a peanut butter cup porter, I always wondered if a peanut butter porter would be any good. It looks like I can see actual peanut butter on the bottom of the growler... oh boy I'm excited!

Pours a nice dark brown color. Average sized head. Nice looking beer.

Smell is a lot of coffee right off the bat. Also some peanut butter and chocolate smells.

Awesome taste. The peanut butter is there, but definitely not overpowering. Very well integrated with the coffee and porter tastes, and some nice nuttyness.

Starts with average mouthfeel. It gets very creamy and nice to drink as it warms. I prefer it after it's out of the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Overall, very good beer. Glad I got to try it. Wishing it was easier for me to get.

09-20-2011 23:05:36 | More by CurtisLoew
donteatpoop

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

We went to a wedding in Willoughby and I had to hit the brewery up the next day. So I made my wife come along too... She was my ride, so I guess I had to.

Anyway, I'd had this beer at a beer fest and remember loving it, but not remembering much else because I was already quite intoxicated when we hit this table up. I remember being like "holy shit, I've always wanted to try a peanutbutter infused porter or stout" and holy shit, there it was.

So I got a growler of it. I had intended on drinking it over the course of a few days, but once I tasted it I couldn't stop. It was amazing. The appearance was a good example of the style, nothing exceptional; just a cloudy dark brown bordering on black and some dark tan-brown head. The aroma, on the other hand, was freaking amazing. I practically soiled myself with excitement. And when I say practically I mean 'almost'... kind of, just don't ask them about the stain in the seat.

The taste was exceptional, coffee hitting first and finishing with peanutbuttery goodness. The dark roasted malts played well over the infused flavors.

It's more than an hour to drive back out there, but I'm looking for excuses.

08-12-2011 20:35:33 | More by donteatpoop
sendsilk

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm editing my review as I just figured out that I had reviewed the wrong beer. I received 2 growlers and they were mismarked, so I received an excellent surprise when this great porter was the one I was looking for.

Received in a recent trade. C'mon, like anyone out there doesn't want to try a beer called Peanut butter cup. It almost sets itself up for failure unless it can deliver.

A- Very dark, little to no light. Decent lacing, nice dark mocha colored head.

S- Perfect coffee smell, some chocolate and roast, not much peanut butter in the nose.

T- This is a wonderful porter. The peanut butter comes through nicely after the roasty coffee flavor. Very well balanced and I would definitely love to try this one again.

M- Perfect carbonation very nice mouthfeel, just thick enough.

O- Thanks Brigadier for getting this one for me! A wonderful porter that delivers on it's delicious promise.

07-04-2011 22:48:06 | More by sendsilk
Naugros

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

My wife was in Cleveland and was going to the Willoughby Brewing Company so I checked their website and saw this beer listed. I told her that she had to bring back a growler to NJ and voila!

It kept good carbonation on the trip home and raised a nice mocha-colored head on top top of the dark brown body. One smell and you can get the coffee and the peanut butter. One would think they'd clash but they somehow work in harmony in both the nose and the tongue. The best way to describe what you're tasting is to think about spreading peanut butter on some whole grain toast and dip it into some espresso and eat. But don't use the creamy stuff, use the natural peanut butter without all the oil. That's the only way I can describe the taste.

The tongue gets a ton of bitter, but that relaxes as it warms. The body is about right for a porter, maybe a little thin. You'd expect a thicker beer from something with peanut butter in it.

Major props to this brewery for attempting something so radical and pulling it off. This beer is funky, but yummy. Make sure you stop by to get some yourself when you're in the Cleveland area.

06-28-2011 23:48:51 | More by Naugros
Thorpe429

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to jale for sharing this. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass at our Anniversary Party pre-event.

Pours a very dark brown color with a good tan head that persisted for a bit. Slight lacing as it went down into a thin cap. The nose is just as it was described -- a good amount of chocolate with peanut butter backing. Really interesting. Some mild malt presence in the background bringing some roast forward. The flavor doesn't hit as hard on the peanut butter, though it is there. Flavor is mostly chocolate and roast. Dark chocolate. Medium body and good carbonation. Solid brew, I'd be glad to have it again.

06-04-2011 18:35:41 | More by Thorpe429
mholtz35

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer for the second time last night.

A- Dark brown in color with a less than finger width head, which settled immediately after pouring.

S- The smell is the best part of this brew in my opinion. Several people sitting around us had ordered it and you could smell it. Deep dark roasted coffee aroma with hints of roasted peanuts and sweet toffee. I am a big coffee drinker and really enjoyed the way it smelled.

T- Roasted coffee and peanut. I almost expected a buttery taste like peanut butter but didn't get any of that. Very sweet as well, creamy and toffee like. I kept thinking about how good this beer would have tasted after a big meal.

M- Heavy to the taste, but not over powering. Pretty well balanced.

O- Definitely would have this one again. Almost filled a jug of it but would probably be really full after drinking a few.

01-10-2014 21:41:38 | More by mholtz35
CaptCleveland

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Willoughby Brewing Co.

Opaque elixir in pint glass, one-finger mocha head, thick lacing.

PB, toffee, sweet malt, hint of coffee.

The malt and coffee are nicely balanced by the PB, with a smooth, lingering bitterness at the end. The PB is more assertive as the brew warms.

Medium body, not a thick porter, well carbonated.

Probably their best beer. I brought a growler of this down to Tampa for a Thursday Pre-Huna tasting and the PB Porter received very high marks.

11-17-2013 00:26:17 | More by CaptCleveland
Docrock

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Willoughbys. Served in a 16 oz pint glass:

A - dark brown, can see a little light when held up. Not very much head with minimal lacing. Served at about 42F. Bartender suggested to let it warm up...

S - a faint coffee with abundant roasted malt. A whiff of Peanut Butter as served. But as it warms the Peanut Butter aroma improves

T - an interesting paradox, the aroma of the peanut butter improved as it warmed but the coffee taste became more accentuated as it warmed. So as it warms you get a nice whiff of peanut butter then the taste of coffee. The perfect balance seemed to be around 50-52F.

M - a little bit thin, and not much carbonation. But the beauty in this is the aroma and the flavor.

O - happy to finally get to try this one. Bought a Growler to go to share with some friends. Overall maybe a bit thin but its a fun beer and I would definitely recommend.

06-24-2013 22:38:04 | More by Docrock
Hopera

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Happy Dog in Cleveland. Very clean appearance for a porter, very dark color, nice head. The smell didn't have the overly sweet smell I anticipated for a beer with the words "Peanut Butter Cup" in the name. Smell overall was pleasant and mild. The taste is really the most amazing thing I've had in a very long time. It was everything it said it was, but in the most balanced and appealing way. Subtle hints of chocolate, peanut butter and coffee, all contained in a very balanced porter. Excellent beer, I get one every time I'm there now.

03-11-2013 02:08:37 | More by Hopera
Knapp85

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer was something I had been looking forward to trying for quite a while. This poured out as a nice black color with a light brown head on top. The head was creamy looking and had a sticky lacing. The smell of the beer had a nice aroma of the coffee and the peanut butter. The roasted malts are a little hidden but the other aromas smell great. The taste is really nicely balanced, a very nice amount of sweet peanut butter that balances out with the bitterness of the coffee. The mouthfeel was creamy, gently carbonated and smooth. Overall I loved it. I though this was fantastic, I would love to drink a lot more of this.

09-26-2012 22:59:09 | More by Knapp85
psuKinger

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft ordered from the $5 bottle-room bar at Vintage Estates, served in a snifter. They seem to have Willoughby beer on draft every time I come here, and I never see it anywhere else, so I figure this is my chance to try it.

Reviews written from notes I scribbled onto my iPhone during the visit last week.

A: pours pitch black, with a nice thin tan head on top that dissipated quickly.

S: not a big nose. Muted notes of roasted malts and peanut butter.

T: smooth, hefty, with an undercurrent of coffee flavor that arrives early and remain throughout. Peanut Butter flavor explodes onto the scene and dominates throughout. I was a bit nervous as to how this would turn out, by it really works. A touch of bittering hops near the back end balance things out nicely, and add just a touch of grapefruit and pine that contrast nicely with the other more dominant flavors.

M: thick and hefty, with a great, dry finish.

D/O: I liked this beer so much i ordered a second one. I'm doing this rating based on that second pint. Highly drinkable. Would buy this by the keg if I could.

06-25-2012 13:36:43 | More by psuKinger
Stinkypuss

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

LOOK: Dark brown mostly opaque liquid. Khaki colored foam forms and solid lace.

SMELL: Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and yes, a hint of peanut butter. Also slight vanilla and cocoa powder.

TASTE: Interesting flavor profile, mostly roasted malts like a typical porter, but with a good dose of cocoa and a small peanut buttery flavor. I was hoping for a bit more peanut flavor, but it does still pull through. The flavor does develop and linger into a moderately complex finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodied, chewy, medium to low carbonation.

OVERALL: Kudos to Willoughby for taking on a peanut butter infused beer. A rare style, this is one of the better examples of Peanut beer I've come across. Points for creativity for sure.

04-22-2012 23:43:52 | More by Stinkypuss