Join our email list →

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter - Willoughby Brewing

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee PorterWilloughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

Willoughby Brewing
Ohio, United States | website

American Porter | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: neenerzig on 09-27-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.2/5  rDev 0%

I'm editing my review as I just figured out that I had reviewed the wrong beer. I received 2 growlers and they were mismarked, so I received an excellent surprise when this great porter was the one I was looking for.

Received in a recent trade. C'mon, like anyone out there doesn't want to try a beer called Peanut butter cup. It almost sets itself up for failure unless it can deliver.

A- Very dark, little to no light. Decent lacing, nice dark mocha colored head.

S- Perfect coffee smell, some chocolate and roast, not much peanut butter in the nose.

T- This is a wonderful porter. The peanut butter comes through nicely after the roasty coffee flavor. Very well balanced and I would definitely love to try this one again.

M- Perfect carbonation very nice mouthfeel, just thick enough.

O- Thanks Brigadier for getting this one for me! A wonderful porter that delivers on it's delicious promise.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

My wife was in Cleveland and was going to the Willoughby Brewing Company so I checked their website and saw this beer listed. I told her that she had to bring back a growler to NJ and voila!

It kept good carbonation on the trip home and raised a nice mocha-colored head on top top of the dark brown body. One smell and you can get the coffee and the peanut butter. One would think they'd clash but they somehow work in harmony in both the nose and the tongue. The best way to describe what you're tasting is to think about spreading peanut butter on some whole grain toast and dip it into some espresso and eat. But don't use the creamy stuff, use the natural peanut butter without all the oil. That's the only way I can describe the taste.

The tongue gets a ton of bitter, but that relaxes as it warms. The body is about right for a porter, maybe a little thin. You'd expect a thicker beer from something with peanut butter in it.

Major props to this brewery for attempting something so radical and pulling it off. This beer is funky, but yummy. Make sure you stop by to get some yourself when you're in the Cleveland area.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

I had this on-tap at the brewery. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a little light coming through at the edges. There is a thin layer of tan head that leaves a ring around the glass.

Smell: Roasty coffee with peanut butter. There is a mild sweetness as well.

Taste: Bitter roasty coffee up front with the peanut flavor more in the background. Mildly sweet with dark chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild, smooth carbonation. The finish is dry.

Overall: I thought this was a very nice and interesting beer. The peanut flavor was well done. It was definitely there, but didn't completely overpower everything else.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks to jale for sharing this. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass at our Anniversary Party pre-event.

Pours a very dark brown color with a good tan head that persisted for a bit. Slight lacing as it went down into a thin cap. The nose is just as it was described -- a good amount of chocolate with peanut butter backing. Really interesting. Some mild malt presence in the background bringing some roast forward. The flavor doesn't hit as hard on the peanut butter, though it is there. Flavor is mostly chocolate and roast. Dark chocolate. Medium body and good carbonation. Solid brew, I'd be glad to have it again.

3.82/5  rDev -9%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at the Willoughby Brewing Company.

A- Black with mocha colored head that vanished fairly quick

S- Dark coffee and peanut butter

T- Very strong black bitter coffee taste and peanut butter.

M- Medium body and pretty smooth

O- Overall this was a very interesting beer. Tastes and smells like black coffee and peanut butter. An enjoyable beer that I would recommend to anyone to try, although I am not sure I would get it again. It is a fun beer, but I think it would have been better as a sample in a flight because I did get a little sick of it towards the end of the beer, but it was well-crafted and very unique. Great flavor and interesting, but a novelty beer that you kinda need to be in the mood for.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Live review. Poured into a clean, clear glass by Thomas, assistant to the head brewer at Willoughby. Thomas is a young, affable fellow who was easy to talk with and clearly has a passion for beer.

A Dark brown body which lets light through only in front of direct light, minimal head as the brewer's assistant Thomas reported to me that "they are having an issue with the carbonation right now." Anyway, nice look. 4.0

S Nice but potent coffee smell. Upon repeated sniffs there is also a nut (peanut butter?) smell in there as well. I like this smell. 4.0

T Well, as advertised, a nice porter with the coffee and peanut butter tastes. Porter aspect is a nice medium to dark roast malt. Thomas reported that this is their "Pride of Willoughby Porter" brewed with actual Peanut Butter Coffee beans, not coffee and peanut butter as separate ingredients. Anyway, I liked the taste of the beer and I thought that the non traditional ingredients were there in appropriate amounts. 4.0

M Thin like most porters but I like a bit more body, fullness than this offers. Come to think of it, it had the consistency of a cup of black coffee. 3.0

D Good since the interest level of the smell and taste kept me coming back for more sips. 4.0

Notes: The clear winner of tonight's tasting at the brewery. I wish that Willoughby would do more interesting stuff like this.

had this on-tap at the brewery 2 weeks ago. Reviewed from notes. Draws a fairly dark brown color with amber highlights when held to the light. Aromas of roasted coffee and malts. Flavors of roasted sweet malt along with some coffee and a small touch of peanut butter rounding it out. Has a very crisp and smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink. A good beer all around.

Eric