Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter - Willoughby Brewing

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee PorterWilloughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

Willoughby Brewing visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: neenerzig on 09-27-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

64 ounce growler
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - This magical elixir is dark as night. There is absolutely no light getting through this beer. There were a couple fingers of cocoa head on top.

S - I get rich, roasted coffee with hints of peanut butter.

T - Wow! This beer has tons of flavor. I get a lot of coffee flavor. I really have to search for the peanut butter. It reminds me a lot of Java from Southern Tier.

M - Thick as mud and smooth as silk.

O - I LOVE this beer. It tastes like it belongs in Southern Tiers Blackwater Series. It is rich and delicious. My only complaint would be that the peanut butter is not prevalent enough in the taste. I have been after this beer for four years and am so glad I finally made the two hour trek to try it. (771 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Veldrid for the trade!

Poured from the growler into a Hair of the Dog tulip, very dark brown with a solid finger of tan head that retained well, rejuvenating with a swirl; minimal lacing. Aroma was coffee-forward, roasty dark malts, virtually nothing in the way of peanut butter, but this characteristic came out a bit more as it warmed. The taste was almost completely dominated by coffee. It was good coffee, smooth and slightly bitter, but where was the peanut butter cup? Dark malts lent a good balance of sweetness and roasty bitterness, mild unsweetened chocolate, and a slight earthiness. As with the aroma, the peanut butter came out a bit more as it warmed, but the coffee pretty much conquered all. For a porter, the mouthfeel was great, smooth, robust, medium-full body. Overall a solid brew, but disappointing. Sure it was good as a coffee porter, but I guess I expected more on the peanut butter cup side, as the name promised, and it just wasn't happening. (981 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Happy Dog in Cleveland. Very clean appearance for a porter, very dark color, nice head. The smell didn't have the overly sweet smell I anticipated for a beer with the words "Peanut Butter Cup" in the name. Smell overall was pleasant and mild. The taste is really the most amazing thing I've had in a very long time. It was everything it said it was, but in the most balanced and appealing way. Subtle hints of chocolate, peanut butter and coffee, all contained in a very balanced porter. Excellent beer, I get one every time I'm there now. (562 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into my Great Lakes glass. Black in color with a thin tan head barely covering the top of the beer. Not a big head, but what was there stuck around well into drinking it.

The aroma shows off all the flavors it's named for and brings them together very well. I get more of a raw peanut flavor to it, but it's not overdone at all thankfully. The roasted coffee really stands out in it as well. The dark, sweeter chocolate seems to bring it all together. Really good aroma to it overall, it's got a lot going on but the favors really work well together.

The coffee and dark chocolate come out a little more in the taste. The peanut flavor seems a little more reserved in the taste, but does add some really cool and complimenting flavors to it. All the flavors are really well done and very complimenting of each other. The coffee and chocolate flavors are really impressive alone, but the peanut twist puts them over the top.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being moderate. If there is any criticism I have for t it would be that it could use a little more body. For all the bold flavors it just seemed a little light. I'd love this to have a thicker, creamy mouthfeel that some oats could provide.

Overall, I thought that this was a really awesome beer. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter, so I was hoping that the peanut component wasn't overwhelming. They nailed the flavors though, they come together so well and are extremely complementing of each other as well. It definitely reminded me of a peanut butter cup with a strong coffee twist to it, which is as good as it sounds. Very flavorful and smooth drinking beer. I enjoyed this one a lot and thought it was a really awesome beer. (1,745 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Growler shared at Top Hops.

Crazy beer! Pours black with a tan head, decent retention and lace. Big time peanut butter chocolate Reese's aroma...that's pretty much all I get, little in the way of coffee, maybe a touch of roastiness. Smells like candy and I can't wait to dig in.

This is a tasty one; it's just a little toned down from the aroma, still packs a fair amount of peanut butter and sweet milk chocolate flavor, but it's not a total liquid candy bar. There's a bit more roasted malt and coffee aspect here but there is no doubt peanut butter is the dominant flavor note.

Medium-full bodied, a bit sticky, with smooth carbonation. I felt like it could have been even creamier and fuller to go with the dessert-like nature of the beer but that's nit-picking. Haven't had many peanut butter beers but this is the one if that's your thing. (848 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer was something I had been looking forward to trying for quite a while. This poured out as a nice black color with a light brown head on top. The head was creamy looking and had a sticky lacing. The smell of the beer had a nice aroma of the coffee and the peanut butter. The roasted malts are a little hidden but the other aromas smell great. The taste is really nicely balanced, a very nice amount of sweet peanut butter that balances out with the bitterness of the coffee. The mouthfeel was creamy, gently carbonated and smooth. Overall I loved it. I though this was fantastic, I would love to drink a lot more of this. (629 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft ordered from the $5 bottle-room bar at Vintage Estates, served in a snifter. They seem to have Willoughby beer on draft every time I come here, and I never see it anywhere else, so I figure this is my chance to try it.

Reviews written from notes I scribbled onto my iPhone during the visit last week.

A: pours pitch black, with a nice thin tan head on top that dissipated quickly.

S: not a big nose. Muted notes of roasted malts and peanut butter.

T: smooth, hefty, with an undercurrent of coffee flavor that arrives early and remain throughout. Peanut Butter flavor explodes onto the scene and dominates throughout. I was a bit nervous as to how this would turn out, by it really works. A touch of bittering hops near the back end balance things out nicely, and add just a touch of grapefruit and pine that contrast nicely with the other more dominant flavors.

M: thick and hefty, with a great, dry finish.

D/O: I liked this beer so much i ordered a second one. I'm doing this rating based on that second pint. Highly drinkable. Would buy this by the keg if I could. (1,079 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Infinite thanks goes to my brother JM03 for this gem!

Pours mostly fully black with a tan head.

The aroma is killer. You really get peanut butter, mixed with a tinge of chocolate, but even with a massive roasted coffee bean aroma, you still can pick everything up!

The taste is a perfect marriage between a peanut butter cup and some coffee beans. Slight bitter, but very roasty and sweet.

For a low abv stout, the feel is nearing full bodied with a nice creamy texture.

So smooth, so drinkable, so f*cking tasty! (521 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter

LOOK: Dark brown mostly opaque liquid. Khaki colored foam forms and solid lace.

SMELL: Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and yes, a hint of peanut butter. Also slight vanilla and cocoa powder.

TASTE: Interesting flavor profile, mostly roasted malts like a typical porter, but with a good dose of cocoa and a small peanut buttery flavor. I was hoping for a bit more peanut flavor, but it does still pull through. The flavor does develop and linger into a moderately complex finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodied, chewy, medium to low carbonation.

OVERALL: Kudos to Willoughby for taking on a peanut butter infused beer. A rare style, this is one of the better examples of Peanut beer I've come across. Points for creativity for sure. (772 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Fairly translucent. Forms a thin dark tan head that leaves no lacing.

S: Lots of toast and peanut butter. Cocoa to a lesser extent and a bit of coffee.

T: Lots of roasted malts and coffee. Roasted peanuts, dry chocolate, cocoa powder, and coffee grounds.

M: Medium bodied and beyond chalky to the point of being grainy.

O: A decent beer, but a little harsh in my opinion. While this one has an interesting complexity, I don't feel as if the flavors really blend all that well together. (534 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From 64oz growler to nonic Imperial pint glass on 3/17/12
*From notes

-- Purchased at the brewpub on 1/17/12, and shared with good friends & family on St. Patty's Day 2012 --

A: Rich chocolate brown. A gentle pour yields a killer 1.5 finger mocha head that lingers for ages. The lacing and dense collar are seriously impressive.

S: Like stodgy peanut butter. As it warms, a touch of diner coffee and earth comes to light. The chocolate is there, but it takes on more of a supporting role.

T: Bloody awesome. Mounds of chocolate and a nutty profile that really does come off like a liquid Reese's. It's more milk cocoa, and there's a charred malt and medium roast coffee bite to the beer which reminds you that this isn't just for dessert.

M: This things drinks like a much bigger beer then it actually is. Thick, creamy and rich - not too dissimilar to a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

O: Killer stuff. Willoughby has rocked it with this one. I don't quite know how they do it, but god damn if this isn't unique and utterly approachable. Seek this out by the gallon. (1,076 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the brewery.

Black coffee in appearance and a creamy off-white head. The chocolate notes are obvious and most importantly with this one just a hint of the peanut butter flavor toward the end. I was a bit nervous with this one because of the peanut butter, but was nicely balanced, kudos on that. At 30 IBU, like the Gutterpup, it was not very bitter at all. Overall was very smooth with a nice sweetness. (419 characters)

I thought the Peanut Porter is a cool idea for a beer and it worked quite well at Willoughby Brewing. The beer pours a nearly opaque dark brown color with tan head that left a spotty lace. The smell is bolstered by chocolate and peanut butter. There was also some roast and espresso. The taste mirrors the smell. Certainly can taste a peanut buttercup to start followed by roast and coffee. The mouthfeel is medium body with smooth carbonation. Overall a very unique and tasty beer. (482 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9%

From growler to standard pint...

A: Impenetrable black with a finger of light brown head. Very good lacing down the sides and head retention is solid.

S: Amazing. Smells just like its namesake, the Peanut Butter Cup. Lots of peanut butter, chocolate, and just a bit of coffee roast. Smells absolutely delicious. Spectacular.

T: Lots of roasted coffee, creamy peanut butter, and some cocoa. Coffee is very well-integrated here, with a much more subtle, luxurious flavor profile than some other coffee porters I have had which were harsh. Very well integrated flavors. Highly sessionable at that. Great.

M: Full bodied but with only moderate carbonation. Superbly creamy mouthfeel. It's complex and full flavored, but not cloying or sticky in the least. Very good.

O: Truly an achievement. This could have been an overly sweet, syrupy mess. But Willoughby Brewing has crafted a fine porter, with loads of flavor but plenty of balance. And all that at a relatively light ABV. The smell on this is just perfect. And the taste is very nearly. A master work of a beer, interesting and delicious. Well done. (1,106 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the Brewery, The name of this "Almost" scared me away. But the name also "intrigued" me. I was pleasantly surprised. Poured Black, with a small foamy head. Aroma was Pure Chocolate and Dark Coffee Beans. Taste was the same, a blast of Dark coffee, Chocolate, roasted malt....very smooth, and not too sweet. I didn't taste peanut butter till the finish, which I think was a perfect place to be. Nice job. Wish I brought my growler. (440 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had at the restaurant

A-Black (no shit) with a nice tan head that appeared on the creamy side. a little bit of lacing

S-Peanut butter, chocolate and coffee. they're all here! the peanut butter really intrigued me. smelled very pleasing.

T/M-MMM, a medium-heavy body to me (to best of my knowledge). a little carbonation and pretty creamy. tasted of coffe first, then came the sweet chocolaty peanut butter (homer gurgle). this was fantastic

O-I really enjoyed this beauty. will totally grab a growler of it. (512 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark cola like color with a slight deep dark khaki color head which quickly goes away. The aroma is of coffee and roastiness along with a hint of chocolate. The taste starts with a nice dark coffee flavor that plays over a roasted malt. In the back end you get a nice mellow peanut butter flavor. It is not a big over powering flavor but a mellow smooth flavor. The mouthfeel is properly carbonated and not too thin. Overall it was a good beer, it was interesting but something I would try again. (504 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade... thanks man! Enjoyed during Sunday football.

Growler showed up in perfect condition. Still tons of carbonation. I couldn't wait to try a peanut butter cup porter, I always wondered if a peanut butter porter would be any good. It looks like I can see actual peanut butter on the bottom of the growler... oh boy I'm excited!

Pours a nice dark brown color. Average sized head. Nice looking beer.

Smell is a lot of coffee right off the bat. Also some peanut butter and chocolate smells.

Awesome taste. The peanut butter is there, but definitely not overpowering. Very well integrated with the coffee and porter tastes, and some nice nuttyness.

Starts with average mouthfeel. It gets very creamy and nice to drink as it warms. I prefer it after it's out of the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Overall, very good beer. Glad I got to try it. Wishing it was easier for me to get. (897 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%

opaque brown with plenty of fizz. nice tan head with mild rentention. sticky on the glass. smell is still coffee dominant, like the base beer. though peanut butter takes a close second and chocolate nutty flavors bring up the rear. Taste follows the nose spot on. Dominant coffee with with a peanut butter cub flavor on the palette. slightly chewy from the fizz, though also light to med bodied. good flavor in here, a lot going on from 3 simple flavors that compliment each other very well. As it warms, PB comes out to play more...mixes very well with their Railway Razz. (573 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Had this on tap at the brewery yesterday (9/6/2011) while I watch the Indians get pummeled by the Tigers.

Poured into a 4 oz tasting glass. Not as much as I would typically like for a review, but there it is.

A: Opaque black, small tan colored head. The small head was likely due to the shape of the tasting glass, which was like a fishbowl and full to the brim.

S: Coffee notes dominate, with roasted malts and a hint of chocolate in the background.

T: Coffee up front in a huge, but not overwhelming, way. I didn't get much peanut or peanut butter flavor on the back end like I have seen other people talking about. Dark roasted malts kick in after, with a pleasant dry finish.

M: This beer was a mouthfeel stud. I say that because the delightful upfront coffee flavor was wiped away by the carbonation and malts, but it didn't leave a lingering coffee aftertaste like other coffee beers I've had. A+ on this category.

All in all a great, relatively unique beer. (971 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

We went to a wedding in Willoughby and I had to hit the brewery up the next day. So I made my wife come along too... She was my ride, so I guess I had to.

Anyway, I'd had this beer at a beer fest and remember loving it, but not remembering much else because I was already quite intoxicated when we hit this table up. I remember being like "holy shit, I've always wanted to try a peanutbutter infused porter or stout" and holy shit, there it was.

So I got a growler of it. I had intended on drinking it over the course of a few days, but once I tasted it I couldn't stop. It was amazing. The appearance was a good example of the style, nothing exceptional; just a cloudy dark brown bordering on black and some dark tan-brown head. The aroma, on the other hand, was freaking amazing. I practically soiled myself with excitement. And when I say practically I mean 'almost'... kind of, just don't ask them about the stain in the seat.

The taste was exceptional, coffee hitting first and finishing with peanutbuttery goodness. The dark roasted malts played well over the infused flavors.

It's more than an hour to drive back out there, but I'm looking for excuses. (1,164 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

I'm editing my review as I just figured out that I had reviewed the wrong beer. I received 2 growlers and they were mismarked, so I received an excellent surprise when this great porter was the one I was looking for.

Received in a recent trade. C'mon, like anyone out there doesn't want to try a beer called Peanut butter cup. It almost sets itself up for failure unless it can deliver.

A- Very dark, little to no light. Decent lacing, nice dark mocha colored head.

S- Perfect coffee smell, some chocolate and roast, not much peanut butter in the nose.

T- This is a wonderful porter. The peanut butter comes through nicely after the roasty coffee flavor. Very well balanced and I would definitely love to try this one again.

M- Perfect carbonation very nice mouthfeel, just thick enough.

O- Thanks Brigadier for getting this one for me! A wonderful porter that delivers on it's delicious promise. (903 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

My wife was in Cleveland and was going to the Willoughby Brewing Company so I checked their website and saw this beer listed. I told her that she had to bring back a growler to NJ and voila!

It kept good carbonation on the trip home and raised a nice mocha-colored head on top top of the dark brown body. One smell and you can get the coffee and the peanut butter. One would think they'd clash but they somehow work in harmony in both the nose and the tongue. The best way to describe what you're tasting is to think about spreading peanut butter on some whole grain toast and dip it into some espresso and eat. But don't use the creamy stuff, use the natural peanut butter without all the oil. That's the only way I can describe the taste.

The tongue gets a ton of bitter, but that relaxes as it warms. The body is about right for a porter, maybe a little thin. You'd expect a thicker beer from something with peanut butter in it.

Major props to this brewery for attempting something so radical and pulling it off. This beer is funky, but yummy. Make sure you stop by to get some yourself when you're in the Cleveland area. (1,129 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this on-tap at the brewery. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a little light coming through at the edges. There is a thin layer of tan head that leaves a ring around the glass.

Smell: Roasty coffee with peanut butter. There is a mild sweetness as well.

Taste: Bitter roasty coffee up front with the peanut flavor more in the background. Mildly sweet with dark chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild, smooth carbonation. The finish is dry.

Overall: I thought this was a very nice and interesting beer. The peanut flavor was well done. It was definitely there, but didn't completely overpower everything else. (671 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to jale for sharing this. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass at our Anniversary Party pre-event.

Pours a very dark brown color with a good tan head that persisted for a bit. Slight lacing as it went down into a thin cap. The nose is just as it was described -- a good amount of chocolate with peanut butter backing. Really interesting. Some mild malt presence in the background bringing some roast forward. The flavor doesn't hit as hard on the peanut butter, though it is there. Flavor is mostly chocolate and roast. Dark chocolate. Medium body and good carbonation. Solid brew, I'd be glad to have it again. (620 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast