India Pale Ale - Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 61 | Reviews: 37
Reviews by Rumrunner:
3.03/5  rDev +10.6%

22oz. bottle. Imperial pint glass.

My bottle poured a glazed golden color. Plenty of floaties about the glass. No problem there. I have never been one to scoff at floaties. The lacing is weak but the overall color is nice. A quality looking beverage.

Sadly the scents are weak. I sniff out some grain and earth. Not much else. I was hoping for some hops in the scents but they are far in the back for this IPA.

The flavors exude some hops but not much. The IPA is mainly focused on the grain type flavors. Very dry bread comes to mind. There is some citrus but the drying effect of the bread quality on the palate really detreacts from any bitterness the IPA has to offer. Sad because there are some quality flavors in the beer, they are just in the background instead of in the forefront where they should be. In my opinion this IPA needs the background flavors at the forefront and the grain and malt flavors in support. If this was the case, this would be a top notch IPA. Give this one a kick in the pants Mr. brewer.

A very easy drinker. No problems there. I would have to say a few tweaks in the brewing process and it could be one solid IPA. Until then it is a beer to have when the rest of the lot is absolute swill.

2.43/5  rDev -11.3%

Just when I thought it was safe to drink "organic" beers again. Looks and smells like a decent IPA. Good hops in the nose, with some wooden aromas to make it interesting. The taste is completely unbalanced. A good amount of hops circulates in and out, but there is always a funky, earthy taste that will not go away. Its like I'm drinking this beer out of a wooden cup that has sat in the mud for several days. Damn hippies.

Disclaimer: for some reason, the aroma and appearance give my grade a boost to a "C-." In no way do I recommend this beer or think it is average. The taste is ass, avoid.

2.3/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a cloudy amber with a tint of orange. Head is off white.

Smell I get what almost smells like a strong apple. Some citrus smell.

Taste. I wanted to really like this beer since its close by and organic but I has really disappointed in the taste. Beer makes my mouth pucker in a bad way. I don't think the beer finishes bitter but rather sour. I dont get the fruitess I was expecting at all. Very unclean taste that is burnt.

Mouthful Really makes my mouth quiver not good.

Drinkablity. Not very drinkable to me.

2.76/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In the thumbs-up / thumbs-down world that we like to live in - I have to go with down. I struggled with it, but this is just isn't good enough.

It starts well enough - looks like an IPA. The smells has not enough hops to warrant it though. Lots of malts and not very balanced. The malt character has a sweetness that is pleasant. It's not the worst beer - it's just doesn't scream "West Coast IPA" to me.

In California, with some many delicious IPAs to choose from - I'd skip this one.

2.91/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice white head that slowly melted to a ring of very sticky lacing.
Aroma is a weak hop scent with something like bready yeast but not quite. Sort of powdery...Goldorak described it as 'starchy'...that is probably the best description.
Taste hits suddenly with citrus hop bitterness and very little offsetting sweet malt. Hops linger in the mouth but can't be identified. Either numerous hops were mixed together in the hopping or some sort of hop extract was used. The hops are nice but lack that 'fresh, green, piney' attribute I like to see in a good IPA.
Aftertaste is pleasant...
...but nothing in this brew to remember. Neither good nor bad.

2.31/5  rDev -15.7%

22oz bomber poured to a pint glass.

Appearance is good. Dark gold, mild cloudiness. Bone white head was small but left medium lacing.

Smell. Not much. malty. vanilla. My son (6) says it smells like pizza (we are eating pizza) So nothing overpowering about it. He has told me some IPAs smell like oranges.

Taste. first impression it tastes like latex paint. Don't freak out, this is an IPA and should have an identity. But generally, I don't like it. Tooo piney. Not enough citrus. NO malt balance (even though it smelled malty???)

Mouthfeel is thick, heavy. Not much carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good for 7.5%ABV but it tastes so bad I won't have another.

Overall: I would take about 20 IPAs over this one. It says "organic" but what beer isn't? That's the best thing about beer. Its fermented earth and it gets you happy. Is there an inorganic process to brewing beer? If so, mail me.

2.24/5  rDev -18.2%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a slightly hazy orange/amber color with an off-white head.

S- Pretty weak nose for the style, with faint malt and citrusy hop notes. There is also a really weird off-flavor like old socks and chalk. This is a West coast IPA, wheres the big hop aroma?

T- The taste like the aroma has that old sock flavor, with faint malt and hops. The off-flavors are just a mess. There is some bitter hops in the finish, but like the aroma the taste is severely lacking in the hop department.

M- Solid mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel and appearance are the only two decent parts of this brew, which are the least important in my opinion.

D- Not very good, pretty hard to finish the bottle.

Overall, this one needs to go back to the drawing board. I'm not a huge fan.

3.43/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours a lively clear and bright dark orange with a nice but fast fading white head.

Nose is a light citrus/orange soda nose-nice but simple and soda pop sweet to the nose.

Mouthfeel is medium body and with no real distinguishing characteristic.

Flavors are one dimensional but not bad. Flavors are of grapefruit and grapefruit skin with hints of pine resin in the finish.

This is a very acceptable India Pale Ale, especially in the finish which is bold with grapefruit skin and resin. Good but nothing distinguishable, although very drinkable and I think most people that like somewhat of a hoppy IPA would like this. This is not Sculpin or Pliny but it's good.

I went back to see some reviews after I treid this. My opinion, better than most of the prior reviews give credit. Just my opinion. Worth at least a try if you like IPAs.

(I went back and actually read the prior reviews. I'm thinking that this is a new batch that I've tasted or other people may have simply jumped on the "bad" bandwagon. The batch that I've tried and reviewed is simply not a bad beer...period. My opinion.)

2.59/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Golden yellow, the lively and bubbly carbonation helped maintain a sturdy head on it.

Smell: Yeah it's hoppy, but a strange kind of hop, one that seems starchy, like when you boil potatoes and leave the lid on, and it boils over and burns on your stove. I've detected this before in some other Beer, who knows what causes this but I doubt it's intentionnal.

Taste: Mid carbonation on the tongue, it's got a decent if non-descript hop bite, but there's nothing on the malt side to give it any character or complexity. Not that IPAs need to be real mind-benders, so this one only gets barely a passing grade, but for a west coast IPA it's well below average.

2.22/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy light amber with a two fingers of white head that left nice lacing.

S: Smells of hops and unripened peaches.

T: There's something just not right about this brew. It's got an unpleasant metallic sourness that overwhelms any good character it might be possessing. Blech.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation.

D: With such a foul taste, I couldn't stomach more than half a pint before pouring the remainder down the sink. Avoid at all costs.

2.39/5  rDev -12.8%

This is one of those beers that catches your eye in the store with its elegant label, but tastes like bad home brew. Muddled aroma of wet grain and old hops. The nose is sweet with a not-so-fresh malt syrup flavor, followed by a disconnected hop bitterness. Hops are robust but their flavors are flat and one dimensional. A definate miss, especially considering the $4/ 22 oz price.

2.31/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured a golden wheat body with a small white head that left very little lacing throughout the beer. It's a good thing the smell is very light, because it smells of rotting fruit with a hint of pine behind that. The mouthfeel leaves something to be desired (like BEER); it has good carbonation but no real taste. This beer finishes ok with that pine taste coming through. I think a root beer soda represents beer better than this india pale ale.

2.34/5  rDev -14.6%

Lightly chill hazed dark auric hue. Ample, frothy, dogged porcelain white head yeilds dense lace. Light toffee, mint, and marzipan upfront in aroma with a grassy, lemony hop undertone. Metallic hints surface as the beer warms. Not enticing aromawise. Incipient in flavor is a rough, quinine like hop bitterness. Midpalate is a muddled melange of wet hay, bread crust and notes of lemon infused caramel syrup. Fairly full bodied, albeit with a chalky, seemingly gritty mouthfeel. Notions of toasted almond (perhaps from oxidation) arise late. Finishes minerally, dry and tannic. A most unimpressive IPA. Unbalanced, harsh and with several "off" flavors. Finishing the bomber was difficult. It seemed to be an attempt at an original British IPA, but fell well short of its goal. Skip this one.

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Consumed June 30th, 2012 at the brewery.

Beer is a relatively light yellow. Slightly cloudy with a fine crown of white foam around the top.

No aroma.

No real malt flavor... or much of any kind of flavor, actually. Some orange rind bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly tingly, slightly parching. Medium bodied.

Nothing much to see here. Move along.

3.97/5  rDev +44.9%

On tap the SCMB taproom today.

The beer pours an orange amber color, with fairly good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, with something of a light brown sugar, dry citrus, and light sweet malt aroma. The flavor profile replicates the nose, with something of a grainy, cereal flavor, light malt and dry citrus finish. The beer is well balanced with a decent amount of bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the beer finishes well with no trace of alcohol.

This is a decent IPA, one that reminds me very much of the IPA made by the McMenamin brothers up on Oregon. It's nothing mindblowing, but for what it is, this is a solid, easy to appreciate IPA.

1.86/5  rDev -32.1%

got this IPA from hi times in costa mesa. twenty two ounces to myself. I've had some impressive IPA's and this one is far from impressive. color is good... looks like an IPA, orange, yellow, no head to speak of. smell is hoppy but nothing special. taste is hops and a strange dirty earthy flavor - far from good. taste was very unimpressive... mouthfeel was spoiled by the smell and taste. all in all, not good.

I have had a few other santa cruz mtn beers, gingwe, the hef and pale ale - I'd recommend any of those over this one...

happy holidays.

3.58/5  rDev +30.7%

A - Very nice golden orange color. Nice lacing and some retention.

S - Smells of bitter hops, some peach, and a little sour.

T - Tastes like it smells, with the addition of an earthy, dirty, wooden quality. You could almost guess it was barrel aged. Doesn't taste much like most IPA's, which I'm guessing is reflected in the poor reviews. But otherwise I actually like it. Loses some of its appeal as it warms up though.

M - Pretty good mouthfeel -- not too light nor too thick, and nice carbonation.

Perhaps not a great example of the style, especially among so many great West Coast IPA's... but still a nice beer that I'd buy again.

1.71/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured into a pounder glass it forms a rather loose and untidy head that fades to a ring leaving behind sporadic slide lacing. Golden body and a bit of a haze.

Comes accross almost like an English IPA in that its hops are the drying variety and aren't dominating like its American counterparts. Nothing wrong with that at all if its done with some precision. Faint orange peels creep into the scene and mix with some rather lackluster malts that are doughy and really an afterthought.

Notes: Well I'm done with the Santa Cruz lineup for the time being. Three offerings and they were all limp.

2.88/5  rDev +5.1%

This has a sourish hint to the earthy flavors. At the same time there is a decent touch of sweetness. Starts out nice enough but it is overwhelmed by the strange composted taste which makes me think of decaying bitter vegetables. It also gives a dose of plasticky decaf coffee. It's enough to give bitterness a bad name. Odor is actually kind of nice-- fruity and perfumey. Quite attractive head and golden amber color. Otherwise virtually undrinkable and too strongly flavored to mix with anything.

It's funny that this makes me think of the Eel River and Bison "organic" beers which are so dirty and unpleasant. Maybe they just can't get decent organic hops.

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Presentation: Standard brown glass 22 ounce Bomber. Neck label has a Whale spouting water through its blowhole with the words ‘Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing’ encircling it with the words ‘Hand Crafted’ and ‘Dry Hopped’ either side. The Main label lists the brew as ‘India Pale Ale’. Certified Organic and Listed at 7.5% ABV on the label. No discernable freshness date.

Main label blurb states “From the cliffs of Seabright beach, wind your way up San Lorenzo River to where the sun filters down through the redwood branches on the Santa Cruz Mountains. Call up your sense of adventure and appreciation for the lusty flavors of organic hops and try our India Pale Ale.”

Appearance: Hazed orangutan golden body. White creamy head has flecks of light tans interspersed between the bubbles lending a dirty white feel to the crown cap.

Nose: Earthy tones, organic hops certainly smell better in this offering than the previous two Santa Cruz offerings. Dough laden middle with a freshly proved finish that has some liquid orange and toasted biscuits in the ending.

Taste: Soft bitterness, citric rinds and orange zest punctuate the entrance. Bitterness never rises above normal, tanks mainly in part to the toasted biscuit malts that run, neigh, ruin this one. The hops are nice but never get chance to display their wares, the jealous toasted biscuit malts ride rough shod through the middle and finish, utterly destroying any IPA character which one would expect. Sadly the cloying biscuit finish is not even good, detracting and ruinous, it leaves one with the feeling, “what if !?”, the organic hops would be left to do their thing. Way too much dry biscuit and cloying malts. Spices tangle with the “biscuit bovver boyz” in the warming brew, but the hops fade too quickly for my liking.

Mouthfeel: Average body with a dry, powdery biscuit texture that reminded me of the time I ate three wholemeal Ryvitas without a drink. Parching dryness with an annoying cloying wholemeal drudgery.

Drinkability: I managed the whole Bomber; it would unfair and remiss to say that I did not. But it was a close call. Boredom sneaks in, like waiting for the Dryer at the Laundry to complete its cycle I almost wanted to pop the door open and put myself out of my monotonous misery.

Overall: All three of the Santa Cruz brews that I have sampled to date have exhibited the same characteristics. Nice looks, reasonable nose, grainy tastes and ultimately very boring and rather forgetful. This one is no different.

Music: “In A Little While” – U2

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

04/18/06- Purchased at Nuggett Market in Vacaville, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, no bottling info listed. Poured into my Sebastopol Brewing pint glass.

Appearance- Medium golden pour. 3/4 inch semi-foamy head, leaves better than average lacing. Pour is a bit cloudy. Pretty sure it's bottle conditioned.

Smell- Off fruity hop scent. Notice high toasted malt, but a strange, maybe rancid fruity scent.

Taste- Do I not like this because it's organic, or because it's just plain not good? Hops a muted, mild fruit flavoring, maybe a touch of lemon. High roated malt flavor followed by a largely stale wet cardboard taste.

Mouthfeel- I like the carbonation level, but the taste kinda ruins the experience.

Drinkability- I did manage to finish the bottle, so I guess it's not that horrid. But, I would never try this one again. Just didn't care for it.

look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Disappointing. Very little taste with only a sharp hops bite

2.03/5  rDev -25.9%

There are a ton of AIPA's out there on the market. That said, if you are a brewer and decide to throw your AIPA hat in the ring, wouldn't you brew something memorable?

I'm sad to say that's just not the case here.

Poured amber in color with a minimal cream-colored head. Smell seemed to lack the citrusy aroma usually associated with an IPA, which was more than a bit off-putting.

Still, in the name of good beer hunting, I pressed on.

I'm not really sure what to say about the taste...I sipped, swirled and swallowed, and waited for the slightest bit of a spicy bite, but it never came.

Mouthfeel walked a thin line between smooth and flat.

Drinkable? Yes. Would I have another, or recommend it to an IPA newbie?

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Had this one as part of a taster - which was probably why the pour was not done very well.
The appearence was as expected for an IPA. It tasted a bit thin - not really what you'd expect for an IPA. If it had not been labeled as such, it could have passed for a pale. Mouthfeel was also a bit "thin" but I suspect that was due to a taster pour.

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shocked to see the level this beer is being reviewed at. Wondering if there's any way this isn't the same beer, because the beer I had today was a Good to Very Good IPA, nicely balanced by a warm background sweetness framing the hop bitters, and nice flavor. Should be reviewing in the mid-eighties, not the high sixties.

Maybe it's a new batch? Did they tweak it recently? I don't know. All I can say is, based on what I just drank, this beer is underrated.

to view more.