India Pale Ale - Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

poor

Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 01-24-2006)

2.08/5  rDev -23%

Worst pour at the Organic brewers fest. Poured a hazy golden with a somewhat pallid bit of foam.

Hop aroma was stale and complimented (if you can call it that) by a musty malt aroma.

The taste continues on this trend - the malt tastes like it was resting in the silo for a while too long and maybe got a little damp. Musty again best describes the malt flavor and the beer finishes with a peppery flavor.

2.63/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Golden yellow, the lively and bubbly carbonation helped maintain a sturdy head on it.

Smell: Yeah it's hoppy, but a strange kind of hop, one that seems starchy, like when you boil potatoes and leave the lid on, and it boils over and burns on your stove. I've detected this before in some other Beer, who knows what causes this but I doubt it's intentionnal.

Taste: Mid carbonation on the tongue, it's got a decent if non-descript hop bite, but there's nothing on the malt side to give it any character or complexity. Not that IPAs need to be real mind-benders, so this one only gets barely a passing grade, but for a west coast IPA it's well below average.

2.3/5  rDev -14.8%

Appears sold orange in color with a large off white head.

It smells of sweet citrus (mostly oranges) I get a strong overpowering caramel flavor. There is a bit of an earthy hop smell.

It tastes pretty sweet. There is a sweet caramel flavor and a sweet orange like flavor. I get a noticeable bitter flavor. This is pretty boring, sweet and one dimensional. It is a bad example of an IPA but it does not taste that bad.

There is a low carbonation to the beer.

This is an ok beer I guess but it is not very smooth and is not a good example of an IPA.

2.2/5  rDev -18.5%

I got this from the BevMo in Thousand Oaks, CA. I saw a few styles from this mysterious brewery (mysterious to me at least) and I picked the IPA to check out, because sub-par breweries will accidentally churn out decent IPA's from time to time.

Appearance: The pour is a slightly hazy gold with a long lasting white head.

Smell: The nose is hoppy, but there's a strange aroma that I can't detect. I don't think this is something that anyone would want in their beer.

Taste: The strange aroma has a taste and it's in the flavor profile, but I still can't put my thumb on it. It's like sour cascade or fuggle hops, maybe lemon. The malts don't play much of a roll in this beer unless they are actually the origin of the off-flavor. The finish is spicy, but the off-flavor sticks around to mess up any ground the beer might have made in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel has good carbonation, but I can't get past the off-flavor.

Drinkability: Nothing about the flavor makes me want to finish the rest of the bomber.

2.2/5  rDev -18.5%

From a 22 oz bottle this poured a cloudy gold with a reddish center. A big fat head, but oddly not much lacing. Nose is of caramel malts and light floral hops. Mouthfeel is a bit acrid, and the flavor is a unpleasant bitter. OK. so how do you combine sourness and bitterness in the same finish. This one managed it, and it is kind of hard to go for the next sip. I usually love IPA's but this one came up short for me.

2.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In the thumbs-up / thumbs-down world that we like to live in - I have to go with down. I struggled with it, but this is just isn't good enough.

It starts well enough - looks like an IPA. The smells has not enough hops to warrant it though. Lots of malts and not very balanced. The malt character has a sweetness that is pleasant. It's not the worst beer - it's just doesn't scream "West Coast IPA" to me.

In California, with some many delicious IPAs to choose from - I'd skip this one.

3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

3.05/5  rDev +13%

22oz. bottle. Imperial pint glass.

My bottle poured a glazed golden color. Plenty of floaties about the glass. No problem there. I have never been one to scoff at floaties. The lacing is weak but the overall color is nice. A quality looking beverage.

Sadly the scents are weak. I sniff out some grain and earth. Not much else. I was hoping for some hops in the scents but they are far in the back for this IPA.

The flavors exude some hops but not much. The IPA is mainly focused on the grain type flavors. Very dry bread comes to mind. There is some citrus but the drying effect of the bread quality on the palate really detreacts from any bitterness the IPA has to offer. Sad because there are some quality flavors in the beer, they are just in the background instead of in the forefront where they should be. In my opinion this IPA needs the background flavors at the forefront and the grain and malt flavors in support. If this was the case, this would be a top notch IPA. Give this one a kick in the pants Mr. brewer.

A very easy drinker. No problems there. I would have to say a few tweaks in the brewing process and it could be one solid IPA. Until then it is a beer to have when the rest of the lot is absolute swill.

2.4/5  rDev -11.1%

This is one of those beers that catches your eye in the store with its elegant label, but tastes like bad home brew. Muddled aroma of wet grain and old hops. The nose is sweet with a not-so-fresh malt syrup flavor, followed by a disconnected hop bitterness. Hops are robust but their flavors are flat and one dimensional. A definate miss, especially considering the $4/ 22 oz price.

4.25/5  rDev +57.4%

2.03/5  rDev -24.8%

There are a ton of AIPA's out there on the market. That said, if you are a brewer and decide to throw your AIPA hat in the ring, wouldn't you brew something memorable?

I'm sad to say that's just not the case here.

Poured amber in color with a minimal cream-colored head. Smell seemed to lack the citrusy aroma usually associated with an IPA, which was more than a bit off-putting.

Still, in the name of good beer hunting, I pressed on.

I'm not really sure what to say about the taste...I sipped, swirled and swallowed, and waited for the slightest bit of a spicy bite, but it never came.

Mouthfeel walked a thin line between smooth and flat.

Drinkable? Yes. Would I have another, or recommend it to an IPA newbie?

2.25/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz bomber poured to a pint glass.

Appearance is good. Dark gold, mild cloudiness. Bone white head was small but left medium lacing.

Smell. Not much. malty. vanilla. My son (6) says it smells like pizza (we are eating pizza) So nothing overpowering about it. He has told me some IPAs smell like oranges.

Taste. first impression it tastes like latex paint. Don't freak out, this is an IPA and should have an identity. But generally, I don't like it. Tooo piney. Not enough citrus. NO malt balance (even though it smelled malty???)

Mouthfeel is thick, heavy. Not much carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good for 7.5%ABV but it tastes so bad I won't have another.

Overall: I would take about 20 IPAs over this one. It says "organic" but what beer isn't? That's the best thing about beer. Its fermented earth and it gets you happy. Is there an inorganic process to brewing beer? If so, mail me.

2.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a cloudy amber with a tint of orange. Head is off white.

Smell I get what almost smells like a strong apple. Some citrus smell.

Taste. I wanted to really like this beer since its close by and organic but I has really disappointed in the taste. Beer makes my mouth pucker in a bad way. I don't think the beer finishes bitter but rather sour. I dont get the fruitess I was expecting at all. Very unclean taste that is burnt.

Mouthful Really makes my mouth quiver not good.

Drinkablity. Not very drinkable to me.

2.13/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy light amber with a two fingers of white head that left nice lacing.

S: Smells of hops and unripened peaches.

T: There's something just not right about this brew. It's got an unpleasant metallic sourness that overwhelms any good character it might be possessing. Blech.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation.

D: With such a foul taste, I couldn't stomach more than half a pint before pouring the remainder down the sink. Avoid at all costs.

1.83/5  rDev -32.2%

got this IPA from hi times in costa mesa. twenty two ounces to myself. I've had some impressive IPA's and this one is far from impressive. color is good... looks like an IPA, orange, yellow, no head to speak of. smell is hoppy but nothing special. taste is hops and a strange dirty earthy flavor - far from good. taste was very unimpressive... mouthfeel was spoiled by the smell and taste. all in all, not good.

I have had a few other santa cruz mtn beers, gingwe, the hef and pale ale - I'd recommend any of those over this one...

happy holidays.