India Pale Ale - Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 01-24-2006

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 61 | Reviews: 37
2.3/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a cloudy amber with a tint of orange. Head is off white.

Smell I get what almost smells like a strong apple. Some citrus smell.

Taste. I wanted to really like this beer since its close by and organic but I has really disappointed in the taste. Beer makes my mouth pucker in a bad way. I don't think the beer finishes bitter but rather sour. I dont get the fruitess I was expecting at all. Very unclean taste that is burnt.

Mouthful Really makes my mouth quiver not good.

Drinkablity. Not very drinkable to me.

2.24/5  rDev -18.2%

22oz bottle

A- Pours a slightly hazy orange/amber color with an off-white head.

S- Pretty weak nose for the style, with faint malt and citrusy hop notes. There is also a really weird off-flavor like old socks and chalk. This is a West coast IPA, wheres the big hop aroma?

T- The taste like the aroma has that old sock flavor, with faint malt and hops. The off-flavors are just a mess. There is some bitter hops in the finish, but like the aroma the taste is severely lacking in the hop department.

M- Solid mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel and appearance are the only two decent parts of this brew, which are the least important in my opinion.

D- Not very good, pretty hard to finish the bottle.

Overall, this one needs to go back to the drawing board. I'm not a huge fan.

2.23/5  rDev -18.6%

From a 22 oz bottle this poured a cloudy gold with a reddish center. A big fat head, but oddly not much lacing. Nose is of caramel malts and light floral hops. Mouthfeel is a bit acrid, and the flavor is a unpleasant bitter. OK. so how do you combine sourness and bitterness in the same finish. This one managed it, and it is kind of hard to go for the next sip. I usually love IPA's but this one came up short for me.

2.22/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy light amber with a two fingers of white head that left nice lacing.

S: Smells of hops and unripened peaches.

T: There's something just not right about this brew. It's got an unpleasant metallic sourness that overwhelms any good character it might be possessing. Blech.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation.

D: With such a foul taste, I couldn't stomach more than half a pint before pouring the remainder down the sink. Avoid at all costs.

2.22/5  rDev -19%

I got this from the BevMo in Thousand Oaks, CA. I saw a few styles from this mysterious brewery (mysterious to me at least) and I picked the IPA to check out, because sub-par breweries will accidentally churn out decent IPA's from time to time.

Appearance: The pour is a slightly hazy gold with a long lasting white head.

Smell: The nose is hoppy, but there's a strange aroma that I can't detect. I don't think this is something that anyone would want in their beer.

Taste: The strange aroma has a taste and it's in the flavor profile, but I still can't put my thumb on it. It's like sour cascade or fuggle hops, maybe lemon. The malts don't play much of a roll in this beer unless they are actually the origin of the off-flavor. The finish is spicy, but the off-flavor sticks around to mess up any ground the beer might have made in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel has good carbonation, but I can't get past the off-flavor.

Drinkability: Nothing about the flavor makes me want to finish the rest of the bomber.

2.18/5  rDev -20.4%

The India Pale Ale was poured into a glass and it started off looking okay. The color was a clear dingy brownish orange with a 3 finger foam head.

The aroma was sweet with an initial apple smell then as it warmed up you got a citrus tinge. The taste was harsh and of fusels. It was hard to get a hold of this one as it was purely off. It had a burnt taste to it with a not so good after taste as it burned the tongue. Overall I would not buy this again.

2.09/5  rDev -23.7%

Worst pour at the Organic brewers fest. Poured a hazy golden with a somewhat pallid bit of foam.

Hop aroma was stale and complimented (if you can call it that) by a musty malt aroma.

The taste continues on this trend - the malt tastes like it was resting in the silo for a while too long and maybe got a little damp. Musty again best describes the malt flavor and the beer finishes with a peppery flavor.

2.03/5  rDev -25.9%

There are a ton of AIPA's out there on the market. That said, if you are a brewer and decide to throw your AIPA hat in the ring, wouldn't you brew something memorable?

I'm sad to say that's just not the case here.

Poured amber in color with a minimal cream-colored head. Smell seemed to lack the citrusy aroma usually associated with an IPA, which was more than a bit off-putting.

Still, in the name of good beer hunting, I pressed on.

I'm not really sure what to say about the taste...I sipped, swirled and swallowed, and waited for the slightest bit of a spicy bite, but it never came.

Mouthfeel walked a thin line between smooth and flat.

Drinkable? Yes. Would I have another, or recommend it to an IPA newbie?

1.86/5  rDev -32.1%

got this IPA from hi times in costa mesa. twenty two ounces to myself. I've had some impressive IPA's and this one is far from impressive. color is good... looks like an IPA, orange, yellow, no head to speak of. smell is hoppy but nothing special. taste is hops and a strange dirty earthy flavor - far from good. taste was very unimpressive... mouthfeel was spoiled by the smell and taste. all in all, not good.

I have had a few other santa cruz mtn beers, gingwe, the hef and pale ale - I'd recommend any of those over this one...

happy holidays.

1.71/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured into a pounder glass it forms a rather loose and untidy head that fades to a ring leaving behind sporadic slide lacing. Golden body and a bit of a haze.

Comes accross almost like an English IPA in that its hops are the drying variety and aren't dominating like its American counterparts. Nothing wrong with that at all if its done with some precision. Faint orange peels creep into the scene and mix with some rather lackluster malts that are doughy and really an afterthought.

Notes: Well I'm done with the Santa Cruz lineup for the time being. Three offerings and they were all limp.

1.71/5  rDev -37.6%

Orangish amber. On second thought, lets make that amberish orange with a small, strange looking, off-white crown. The head isn't foamy or creamy so much as it is a loose collection of brittle bubbles that would almost resemble blown insulation if it was pink. There's quite a bit of lace... that doesn't look so hot either.

I'll bet that I could have identified this as an organic beer if blinded. Note that I didn't say an organic 'IPA'. There's a sour fruitiness emanating from the glass that doesn't smell the least bit hoppy. What it smells like is hard to say, but it doesn't smell appetizing.

The flavor is no better (and might be worse since it lingers, unlike the aroma). What in the bloody hell is this supposed to be? An India pale ale? Hardly. Yeah, there's bitterness, but it could just as easily have been achieved by adding crushed aspirin to the brew kettles.

Brewed-on or best-by dates don't usually appear in my reviews, but I'll make a exception in this case because, amazingly enough, the beer is relatively fresh (bottled on 8-17-07). It tastes like it's been aging in a rain barrel for the past several years.

The flavor profile... whoa boy! Sour apricots, lemon juice, moldering grain, potter's clay and aspirin. The mouthfeel is horribly thin and is grossly undercarbonated to boot. Why didn't I go with the 'bottom of the barrel' score'? Because I can imagine worse.

It's hard to be so critical of a brewer who is obviously trying to brew good beer. However, Santa Cruz India Pale Ale isn't good in any way, shape or form. And that's coming from a hophead who probably cuts beer of this style more slack than most. To the BA who sent me this bomber: don't forget, I know where you live.

1.64/5  rDev -40.1%

This beer starting a bit disappointing, and went downhill from there. Served from a 22oz. bottle into a small hotel room glass. Label had a bottling date about 2 1/2 months prior. Appearance was the best thing it had going for it. The first glass was very mediocre, did not have a typical IPA bite, and had some off, earthy flavors. The second pour had a more astringent taste, with lots of off flavors, and for the first time in years, I gave up and decided I just couldn't finish the bottle. Pouring bottle out into the sink, I saw there were chunks of sediment that looked more like mud than anything I have ever seen come out of a beer bottle. There were at least a dozen pieces the size of a grain of wild rice (1/4 - 3/8" long and 1/16 thick), and lots of smaller pieces. I would give this one a wide berth, and probably be pretty wary of anything from the same brewery.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »