Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

India Pale Ale - Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing visit their website

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 01-24-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.03/5  rDev +14.3%

22oz. bottle. Imperial pint glass.

My bottle poured a glazed golden color. Plenty of floaties about the glass. No problem there. I have never been one to scoff at floaties. The lacing is weak but the overall color is nice. A quality looking beverage.

Sadly the scents are weak. I sniff out some grain and earth. Not much else. I was hoping for some hops in the scents but they are far in the back for this IPA.

The flavors exude some hops but not much. The IPA is mainly focused on the grain type flavors. Very dry bread comes to mind. There is some citrus but the drying effect of the bread quality on the palate really detreacts from any bitterness the IPA has to offer. Sad because there are some quality flavors in the beer, they are just in the background instead of in the forefront where they should be. In my opinion this IPA needs the background flavors at the forefront and the grain and malt flavors in support. If this was the case, this would be a top notch IPA. Give this one a kick in the pants Mr. brewer.

A very easy drinker. No problems there. I would have to say a few tweaks in the brewing process and it could be one solid IPA. Until then it is a beer to have when the rest of the lot is absolute swill.

2.39/5  rDev -9.8%

This is one of those beers that catches your eye in the store with its elegant label, but tastes like bad home brew. Muddled aroma of wet grain and old hops. The nose is sweet with a not-so-fresh malt syrup flavor, followed by a disconnected hop bitterness. Hops are robust but their flavors are flat and one dimensional. A definate miss, especially considering the $4/ 22 oz price.

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

There are a ton of AIPA's out there on the market. That said, if you are a brewer and decide to throw your AIPA hat in the ring, wouldn't you brew something memorable?

I'm sad to say that's just not the case here.

Poured amber in color with a minimal cream-colored head. Smell seemed to lack the citrusy aroma usually associated with an IPA, which was more than a bit off-putting.

Still, in the name of good beer hunting, I pressed on.

I'm not really sure what to say about the taste...I sipped, swirled and swallowed, and waited for the slightest bit of a spicy bite, but it never came.

Mouthfeel walked a thin line between smooth and flat.

Drinkable? Yes. Would I have another, or recommend it to an IPA newbie?

2.31/5  rDev -12.8%

22oz bomber poured to a pint glass.

Appearance is good. Dark gold, mild cloudiness. Bone white head was small but left medium lacing.

Smell. Not much. malty. vanilla. My son (6) says it smells like pizza (we are eating pizza) So nothing overpowering about it. He has told me some IPAs smell like oranges.

Taste. first impression it tastes like latex paint. Don't freak out, this is an IPA and should have an identity. But generally, I don't like it. Tooo piney. Not enough citrus. NO malt balance (even though it smelled malty???)

Mouthfeel is thick, heavy. Not much carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good for 7.5%ABV but it tastes so bad I won't have another.

Overall: I would take about 20 IPAs over this one. It says "organic" but what beer isn't? That's the best thing about beer. Its fermented earth and it gets you happy. Is there an inorganic process to brewing beer? If so, mail me.

2.3/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle poured into glass.

Appearance Beer is a cloudy amber with a tint of orange. Head is off white.

Smell I get what almost smells like a strong apple. Some citrus smell.

Taste. I wanted to really like this beer since its close by and organic but I has really disappointed in the taste. Beer makes my mouth pucker in a bad way. I don't think the beer finishes bitter but rather sour. I dont get the fruitess I was expecting at all. Very unclean taste that is burnt.

Mouthful Really makes my mouth quiver not good.

Drinkablity. Not very drinkable to me.

2.22/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy light amber with a two fingers of white head that left nice lacing.

S: Smells of hops and unripened peaches.

T: There's something just not right about this brew. It's got an unpleasant metallic sourness that overwhelms any good character it might be possessing. Blech.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation.

D: With such a foul taste, I couldn't stomach more than half a pint before pouring the remainder down the sink. Avoid at all costs.

1.86/5  rDev -29.8%

got this IPA from hi times in costa mesa. twenty two ounces to myself. I've had some impressive IPA's and this one is far from impressive. color is good... looks like an IPA, orange, yellow, no head to speak of. smell is hoppy but nothing special. taste is hops and a strange dirty earthy flavor - far from good. taste was very unimpressive... mouthfeel was spoiled by the smell and taste. all in all, not good.

I have had a few other santa cruz mtn beers, gingwe, the hef and pale ale - I'd recommend any of those over this one...

happy holidays.

2.31/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured a golden wheat body with a small white head that left very little lacing throughout the beer. It's a good thing the smell is very light, because it smells of rotting fruit with a hint of pine behind that. The mouthfeel leaves something to be desired (like BEER); it has good carbonation but no real taste. This beer finishes ok with that pine taste coming through. I think a root beer soda represents beer better than this india pale ale.

3.58/5  rDev +35.1%

A - Very nice golden orange color. Nice lacing and some retention.

S - Smells of bitter hops, some peach, and a little sour.

T - Tastes like it smells, with the addition of an earthy, dirty, wooden quality. You could almost guess it was barrel aged. Doesn't taste much like most IPA's, which I'm guessing is reflected in the poor reviews. But otherwise I actually like it. Loses some of its appeal as it warms up though.

M - Pretty good mouthfeel -- not too light nor too thick, and nice carbonation.

Perhaps not a great example of the style, especially among so many great West Coast IPA's... but still a nice beer that I'd buy again.

2.38/5  rDev -10.2%

Had this one as part of a taster - which was probably why the pour was not done very well.
The appearence was as expected for an IPA. It tasted a bit thin - not really what you'd expect for an IPA. If it had not been labeled as such, it could have passed for a pale. Mouthfeel was also a bit "thin" but I suspect that was due to a taster pour.

1.64/5  rDev -38.1%

This beer starting a bit disappointing, and went downhill from there. Served from a 22oz. bottle into a small hotel room glass. Label had a bottling date about 2 1/2 months prior. Appearance was the best thing it had going for it. The first glass was very mediocre, did not have a typical IPA bite, and had some off, earthy flavors. The second pour had a more astringent taste, with lots of off flavors, and for the first time in years, I gave up and decided I just couldn't finish the bottle. Pouring bottle out into the sink, I saw there were chunks of sediment that looked more like mud than anything I have ever seen come out of a beer bottle. There were at least a dozen pieces the size of a grain of wild rice (1/4 - 3/8" long and 1/16 thick), and lots of smaller pieces. I would give this one a wide berth, and probably be pretty wary of anything from the same brewery.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last