Shiva IPA - Asheville Brewing Company

good

Asheville Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: TheBierBand on 06-19-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiva IPA Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -65.5%

I really don't want to get into the whole semantics of this beer. I will say this, that I had Shiva in a can, and it was not drinkable .

So I came to the brewery on Coxe and tried the Perfect Day IPA and their flagship IPA, which is the Shiva.

Both had skunky, off flavor aromas you'd expect from typical adjunct lagers. So, I had to quickly choose my poison, literally.

Well, I decided on a pizza and the Shiva.

Shiva, now on tap after having had it in the can, confirmed my suspicions. Pure battery acid taste. I must say this is the worst beer I have ever had in my life!- even worse than Busch Light.

I'm so glad the gal served me some bad tap water first. After two sips of the Shiva, I almost threw up. I drank the bad tap water with the average pizza, pushed the Shiva aside.

I now know this wasn't a fluke. They actually brew this vile tasting beer, and apparently the people like it?

Shame on them for this, even a first time home brewer shouldn't make anything this bad.The pizza wasn't very good either, no surprise.

I don't like to denigrate local breweries, but this is unacceptable and offensive.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

22oz bottle into a DFH Signature Glass. No date on the bottle.

I picked this up on a recent trip to Asheville. I thought it only right to support the local breweries by trying some of their interpretations of my favorite styles. Asheville Brewing's Shiva IPA is one of the ones that I decided to roll the dice on.

A: Pours a hazy light copper. Very little head, even with the laser etching on the DFH glass. Moderate lacing.

S: Weak nose. Not much of a hop aroma. Not much malt sweetness either. Smells a little salty.

T: Tastes of soda water and a touch of salty "hops." Very much bland; borderline watery. A moderate bitter bite on the back end lingers slightly. Maybe this is an old bottle. Typically I wouldn't have gambled on an undated IPA, and I regret doing so on this one.

M: Extra thin. Moderate carbonation can't even beef this one up. This beer dosen't seem to get anything right.

D: Well, at least this beer is inoffensive, I guess. Actually, its blandness is offensive.

There are much better beers to be had in Asheville. Sisters of the Moon IPA or anything by Pisgah, for example. As for this one , I wouldn't buy it again.

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

22 oz bottle purchased at Greenlife in Asheville when I was killing time waiting for Bruisin Ales to open. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip.

A: Not really a lot to look at here. A very light color for an IPA. It looks more like a pale ale. Almost no head at all at the pour. The etching in the glass keeps a small spot of bubbles in the middle of the glass. There is only a little bit of lacing.

S: Kind of a musty grassy aroma. Its not really pleasing at all.

T: It seems like each category is going downhill with this one. It almost has a funky twinge similar to some saisons. The grassy hop flavors are still around, but are very weak and do not mix well with the other flavors.

M: Very thin and watery.

D: The funkiness is a little bit of a struggle for me, but outside of that it could be considered easier to drink than many IPAs.

I hope that I am not reviewing a bad bottle, but this one definitely didn't do it for me. I wish now I would have gone with the Porter instead.

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Served this 12 oz. can in a Sam Adams glass. No date. Palate is misspelled on the can. The body was pale yellow/white gold and lightly hazy. The thin white head left minimal lacing.

The smell was weak, difficult to discern. Citrus and general fruitiness was mild.

The taste was also citrus. Minor sweetness and pithy drying grapefruit character. Perhaps an older can has muted the smell and flavors. I wouldn't seek it out again unless I knew it was fresh. No bad but a bit dulled.

The mouthfeel was medium in carbonation and density.

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Hazed orange color, clearly bottle conditioned. Thin, soapy pure-white head. Aromas of mild orange pulp, slight bubblegum, and soap. Some fruity yeast...very light overall. Orange hop bitterness...herbal. Earthy grain takes over in the finish. Watery, yet it has a strong lingering bitterness. Fairly light bodied.

Lots of bitterness, not a whole lot of hoppy flavor. Very mild for an IPA.

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Received as a trade extra.

Look: Hazy yellow-orange, good head retention.

Smell: Not picking up too much smell on this one. Mild floral hops and orange ring.

Taste: Light hit of citrus flavored hops. Not too much flavor picked up. Very smooth drinking flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light, smooth, and easy-drinking.

Overall: Seems to be a very light IPA. Not too much aroma or flavor picked up with this one. Definitely happy to have tried this as it is a light, easy-drinking IPA. With that said, I would stick with my Jai Alai when going for an IPA.

Serving type: Can