Join our email list →

Green Man Brewery
North Carolina, United States | website

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) | 5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2006

A malty amber ale boasting rich toasted and caramel flavors, Green Man ESB is one of our award-winning signature brews. Our blend of authentic British malts and hops creates a nutty aroma, full body, and a sweet finish. Prepare yourself for a truly exceptional interpretation of a traditional English style.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

I've been excited to try this beer for a few reasons: One, it's a local place and I appreciate that. Two, it comes recommended by a friend. This beer was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the intense hoppy flavor, which I was not expecting. It had a robust, natural element. I enjoyed the "rawness" and heaviness despite the fact that it is only 5.3%. Maybe there is power of suggestion in the name, but earthy and organic came to mind as well. I could have a few of these in a row and am looking forward to trying Green Man's other beers.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- dark brown with a nice white head.
S- Roasty smell.
T - very nice beer. Seemed like a light version of a porter.
F- medium carbonation.
O - very easy drinking beer.

4.71/5  rDev +27%

Very dark amber color. Has a small white head. Has a grainy, hoppy smell to it. Taste has the perfect mix of malts. It gives a nice roasted taste to it.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Root beer color with tan thin head. Faint oak/chocolate smell. Nice malty flavor with almost no bite at the end. Expected more bitterness.

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a dark copper color. Presents with a roasted malty smell. Flavor is dominated by roasted malt with coffee overtones. More a brow ale than an ESB. Very disappointed.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

Rock solid ESB. From the growler to the pint glass. Pours a light amber with thin whitish head. Green man malts are easily identifiable and this makes for a very distinctive taste, the malt is very similar to their IPA, but tones of caramel, distinct bitterness but reduced hoppiness provides the distinction. This is a very easy drinking brew and one of my favorite ESBs.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

On a visit of the Local brew of Ashville, NC. Pours brownish orange into the pint glass with a quick head. Banana and coffee aroma. Smooth grain and barley malt. Some fruit notes. Think I will change up on my next order. Good selection here at the Bier Garten.

3.87/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass from the Boston, MA brewery.

Batch 1218, bottle 14154.

This beer has been one of my perennial favorites when visiting the mountains of North Carolina and the vicinity of Asheville where it is most commonly found on draft. The first time I had this beer was at the 12 Bones restaurant on the UNC-Asheville campus, served on draft with a delicious North Carolina barbecue meal. ESB stands for Extra Special Bitter but the bottle says "special amber ale." It comes in a beautiful bottle with a gorgeous smooth label that I couldn't help but run my thumb over.

A: ESB has a really dark reddish-brown color that is more transparent than translucent. It is rich in color like a fine, dark red wood. It did not pour a very noticeable head on my pour, but it could be due to the fact that I reviewed from a bottle rather than on draft. There was however significant carbonation bubbling deep within the beer, but you have to stare into its deep color to find it.

S: This ale is more flavorful than fragrant. It smells of roasted malt and coffee with a light hint of chocolate.

T: This is a wonderfully flavorful beer. The first sip is packed of roasted malt and coffee flavors and hits you hard with its boldness. It has a malty, nutty body a slight tinge of hops is somewhat sweet on the tongue. There are hints of herbs and earthy flavors and very little fruit or citrus. It is not a very bitter beer (32 IBU) and lacks a significant amount noticeable aftertaste apart from a slight bitterness.

M: Smooth and crisp but lacking carbonation. It is a very drinkable texture and smoothness.

O: Overall this is one of my favorite beers that I buy locally. It's rich and bold but not overpowering, which you would expect from a nice craft ale. I still prefer the Green Man IPA (which I have not reviewed yet) but I wouldn't turn down this lovely malty ale with its rich flavor and dark color.

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Bearden Beer Market in Knoxville.

Hazy, dark amber color with thin tan head. Prominent bread, roasted malt aroma with mold floral hops. Taste is reacted malts with caramel, fruity sweetness balanced by mild bitterness. Medium body with mild carbonation. Very mild ethanol warmth.

Overall a great ESB, very smooth with strong, sweet malt.

2.94/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I've head this on draft at their pub, but it was a while back and this is for the bottled version.

Appearance is fine. Slightly hazy brown. Not much head after pouring.

Nose is malt and caramel, but not much else.

Taste is ok for the style. On the sweeter side. Nothing off putting, but perhaps the short, slightly sour finish. No real depth, but nothing bad.

Mouthfeel is strangely viscous. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Overall it's fine, but nothing to write home about.

3.31/5  rDev -10.8%

I had this on draft at Twelve Bones in Asheville, NC. Nice beer, with a great brown color and decent head. Not as much on the aroma side of things as I would expect, but that could have been part of sitting outside. I got a malty backbone to this, and not so much of the hoppiness that I would have expected out of an ESB. Tasty beer, just not what I had expected.

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%

a: Has a nice amber color and little head retention.

s: Interesting caramel malts and some unique hops.

m: medium body and average composition.

t: Some hop flavors and a moderate bitterness. I wish there was just a bit more to this one.

d: Real easy drinking, like most Green Man offerings.

3.66/5  rDev -1.3%

It's funny, at first I was not impressed with this ESB, HOWEVER, through finishing the glass casually I learned to enjoy it. Maybe it was the brewmaster giving the history of ESBs or just grew to liking the beer, but I believe I could enjoy a few more of these. It's a nice caremely color, like a golden amber if that makes any sense. Mouth-feel is about what I expected from a beer of it's stature, but after a few sips/gulps I really liked it.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last