Follow our progress ...

Green Man PorterGreen Man Porter

Green Man Brewery
North Carolina, United States | website

Style: English Porter

Dark, full-bodied, and rich in flavor, Green Man Porter is wonderfully easy to drink. It offers a creamy, smooth mouthfeel and finishes with distinctive chocolate notes. This traditionally crafted, award-winning British-style Porter, like a true rock star, enjoys a legendary following.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 294
4.54/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've reviewed this one on tap at the brewery; here it is in Cask at Brewgrass '09.

I have to say, a couple of things:

1) Reviewing is a completely subjective and contextually-bound enterprise. I could review the same beer on two different occasions and have somewhat different results. That being said,

2) This beer is good on tap, but I find it SUPERB on cask. The cask brings out a stronger, more appealing aroma, and an excellent chocolatey flavor. It's a bit thin on the finish.

I love cask ales. I wish they were more common in my neck of the woods.

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%

I thought this was a pretty good beer. Pour was somewhat flat with a thin cocoa head that was gone before my eyes. Lighter colored than what I'm used to and almost crystal clear when held to light with a ruby/mahogany color. Smell was very nice with the malts being more sweet with less roasted character than many American Porters I have. Sweet chocolate with hints of caramel, coffee, and a small earthy/grassy hop bite. Mouthfeel was a fairly light and thin. Not necessarily too watery but the body wasn't big enough. Carbonation being extremely low might have played a factor. Still, I find this very drinkable. The stuff went down about as quick as it was poured after I got the point of what I was dealing with. Split this on Thanksgiving with my sister who happened to purchase it from Green Man in Asheville. Nice!

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: At least in the dim lighting of the Jack of the Wood pub, this beer had a black body crowned with an off-white head.

Smell: The aroma has nary but a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Nice, semi-sweet chocolatey flavor with a bit of nuttiness. Finished dry, but with no bitterness (or hop character for that matter).

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly simple and straight-forward, though it made for fine, easy drinking hours after the Brewgrass Beer Festival.

****

Re-sampled on 2/3/08 at the Green Man brewery:

(Currently listed as 6.1% abv at the brewery).

Appearance: Dark brown body with a small, light beige head.

Smell: An aroma akin to a Heath bar with added notes of roasted nuts.

Taste: Pleasant mix of toffee, semi-sweet chocolate, and roasted nuts with a medium sweetness. A very light touch of roast and earthy bitterness brings balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Pretty solid! Presents a bit more character than our last encounter.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Found the beer at Jack of the Wood in Asheville NC. (The taproom at the brewery was closing (who closes at 11:00 on Saturday night?) so this was the closest place to find the beers). The Porter turns out to be quite nice. A flavorful barley aroma and taste give a nice blend of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, and nuttiness. Lots of sweetness approach caramel levels, but level off just before. The low-lying hop presence lets the beer seem sweeter and maltier than it acually is. No real hop aroma, little flavor, and a balanced bittering. Body is a bit light, but fair for an English Porter. Finishes on a clean fermented, cocoa note. Won't knock your socks off, but certainly quenched my thirst on this summer night.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last