Green Man Harvester - Green Man Brewery

good

Green Man Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 01-15-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.52/5  rDev 0%

3.64/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle of the traditional Oktoberfest bier.

Body should have higher clarity but has a fine dark amber tone and a durable head.

Aroma: mild and pleasing, with some spicy/herbal hops mixed in with the light roasted and caramel malts.

Flavor: mild and pleasing. I'd like more boldness but, as usual for style, this beer is more designed for 'session' drinking than slow sipping.

3.52/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

2.92/5  rDev -17%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What can we really say about Oktoberfest beers that have not already been said? Its actually better than most, but that really does not to me say a lot. Does that mean that everyone will not like this beer? Certainly not, I enjoy it myself, but Marzen's are kind of ho hum really. There is only so much that can be done to make them remarkable. This one is a bit more remarkable than others. It has some hop component that makes it a bit more balanced than the rest. When I say a bit, its not a bit in the British sense. Its a truly small amount. Not like when Keith Richards says he did a bit of heroin.

I am a color whore. I think that is what initially attracted me to these beers to begin with. They are truly beautiful on the eye. But that is not why we drink beer. It could look like toxic sludge, but if it tasted good then we are all on board. I am talking about Gose! This one is a nice amber color, truly a beautiful brew.

Smell: Not much going on really, malts and grains, not much else. Kind of a caramel bomb with malts, lots of malts.

Taste: Like I said this one has hops, which makes it better than a lot of them to me. But, its not spectacular, if I was comparing this to a top notch stout or IPA,this would fall well below the rankings, but since its a Marzen I am giving it props for what it is. I like Green Man, they were one of my favorite craft brewing outfits when I moved to town, but honestly the can do better, not that they have a lot to work with with Marzen's and honestly they did all they could, but I think once I work my way through these I doubt I buy any more of this style, its really boring.

Overall: Better than most marzen's but really not better than most beers and certainly not the best of what Green Man can do.

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%

3.8/5  rDev +8%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%

3.44/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich reddish brown with a thin white head.

The smell is earthy, malty, caramel.

The taste is caramel and earthy. Tastes good but not very complex.

The feel is light with medium carbonation.

Overall drinkable but far from the best marzen out there.

3.24/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a snifter. The brew appears a clear copper color with an off-white creamy topping. Some stringy lace sticks to the glass as the cap fades.

The smell includes notes of caramel and toffee malt with minerals and almost a perfume sort of alcohol inclusion.

The taste too includes minerals and is carbonic with a bit of perfume alcohol. Some herbal hops, slightly citrus feel overtop toffee, caramel and buttery diacetyl into the finish.

This is medium to light bodied with a modest amount of carbonation. It is crisp but overall just ok.

2.5/5  rDev -29%