Russian Imperial Stout - Sacramento Brewing Company's Oasis

Russian Imperial StoutRussian Imperial Stout

Sacramento Brewing Company's Oasis visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: mcallister on 02-28-2007)
4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

(Chalk board indicates this beer had an OG of 1.060 and an alcohol (by volume I assume) of 8%. Is my math off or is that number strange? Maybe they meant 1.080.)

Deep black with a chocolate-colored head that stayed with me the whole glass (10oz, I believe).

The nose is dominated by roasted barley, with no real perception of alcohol.

The beer was slightly cloudy, but (of course) this was masked by how dark it was. The alcohol is felt in the stomach only, with a nice caramel malt and roasted malt flavor with some chocolate notes. Bitterness is right on. Silky, roasty, bitter, malty, mild sweetness, complex, yum!

This beer needs to be warm to appreciate. I ordered it while halfway through my double IPA and it was still too cool for my taste. Order it early to get the full flavor, this stuff is very good!

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%

As a 100% business traveler, I often find it difficult to enjoy a beer the way it was meant to be treated--often times serving the beer in a flimsy plastic cup that I must plunder from the 1 treadmill-1 stationary bike gym, as substitute to the styrofoam they sometimes provide. Nonetheless, it was much to my chagrin that this gem of a beer I picked up on business in Sacramento BURST open in my luggage while flying to Memphis. As always, the first thing I check when I receive my luggage upon arrival is for any damp, beer-scent. As soon as I pick up the bag at the baggage claim, I could smell the deep, smooth, chocolately aroma emanating from my soaked business attire. It had a distinctive scent so I knew which of the 6 bombers I was sihpping had busted open. Regardless, clothes do indeed wash, and beer does not drink itself. I had to enjoy the remaining beer immediately upon check-in at the hotel.

Because the cap popped loose mid-flight or whenever the bag thrower abused my luggage, I had lost some carbonation. Regardless, a slim collar of head rises to the top upon pouring into the scotch glass, a good sign. A few swirls brings a slew of little white fizzy children that come to play excitedly on the surface. Signs that there is life in this beer yet!

Deep, dark, smooth aroma--of buttery chocolate, tickling the nostrils with sweetness. Just a slight smell of alcohol. Certainly gets you excited for what's to come.

Sip. Smooth. Silky. Rich. Certainly a BIG beer. Notes of maple syrup, dark chocolate, candied pecans. A solid hop presence, but not overwhelming in any way, just right to tickle the senses. Goes down great. Though probably couldn't have more than the one bomber. Certainly a pleasant experience. Would love this on tap next time I get to travel to Sacramento, rather than the crummy little hotel room out of the scotch glass.

The biz cas professional attire will heal, but my soul already yearns for another of these gems.

~G

Russian Imperial Stout from Sacramento Brewing Company's Oasis
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.