Galaxy Single Hop IPA - Bridge Road Brewers

Australia

Beer added by: smithflipper on 12-27-2009

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.87/5  rDev +3.2%

I like the idea and hope to see more of it. Nice piney, resiny, pineapple notes with a hint of fresh grass. And that, is Galaxy hops boys and girls. Solid bitterness and a nice pine-like tannic feel. It's ticking all the right boxes. Overall a solid beer and a great way of showcasing galaxy (or hops in general) for the uninitiated.

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance:
Poured into my Kilkenny branded 375 odd ml pub glass.
Slightly hazy/cloudy orange, poured a single finger head, which has dissipated very quickly. No carbonation or lacing at all, the cap came off rather easily I think I may have a bit of a dud.

Smell:
Definitely passionfruit, citrus, piney resin, caramel/toffee.

Taste: Slightly different from other IPA's I've tried, however a good balance of malt and hops, slight touch of citrusy pine with a nice mild drying bitterness. Would be a good introduction into the world of IPA.

Mouthfeel: Nice and soft full mouthfeel, as mentioned no carbonation which I don't mind but this does seem a tad flat.

Drinkability:
Jamiesons Beast is my usual go to drop so this is very tame for me, has a nice bitterness to it, would be good for a session/all day but at $27.50 for a sixpack of 4.8% IPA it's ridiculously overpriced and I know my merchant isn't one of the sheisters that puts an insane markup on his stock, despite my love of all things IPA and this being a limited batch this isn't going to be something I'll be in a hurry to buy again. Especially when I can get 7% Beast from the same store for over $5 cheaper. Sorry to say Bridgeroad dudes, I'm a fan of your work but in this instance I'm not really impressed, if you're going to release a limited edition IPA at this price make it an Imperial over 8%.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours orange/amber with a large fading head.
Aroma shows loads more fruity confectionery, with passionfruit, pineapple, lemon and lime lollys all represented. Alongside this is a pungent grassy note, presumably from late/dry-hopping. Some faint caramel is also present, but I think this could really benefit from more malt.
Some of those fruity aromas transfer through as flavours, but the malt dominates in this department (contradictory to what I just mentioned above??), with caramel, toffee and bready notes before a solid, but somewhat boring and dull bitterness follows.
Carbonation is light, body is moderate... pretty good!

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

A nice Golden brown/orange colour. 2 fingers of head in a snifter.

Huge nose. A whole bunch of passionfruit and underneath some sweetish notes, maybe from crystal malt.

Follows up the nose very well. A little one dimensional, but that's not really a flaw in a single hop ipa - it shows off galaxy very well and what a hop it is. Mmmm. Not hugely bitter - but bitter enough to be called an IPA, unlike some examples I have had recently.

Feels great in the mouth, smooth but still with plenty of carbonation - ideal for an IPA on tap.

Edit: in the bottle it was nowhere near as good. The wild fruitiness of galaxy stood alone unsupported by adequate bitterness or malt backbone. I will leave the review for the tap version though, as I really liked it. To be honest, I doubt there was a heap of difference, drinking a beer at a great bar with great friends certainly enhances the experience!

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

Slightly Cloudy, orange/gold with 2 fingers of sticky white head.

Passionfruit, like passionfruit merange dominate the aroma. Smells like a bag of fresh galaxy hops.

Some sweet bready malts upfront, then a big resinous hop finish with reasonable bitterness.

Pretty good body, with ample carbonation.

All in a great, and very interesting IPA, could've bee a touch more bitter, but now im just being difficult

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »