Rosie's Old Ale - Barley John's Brew Pub

No picture uploaded.

Barley John's Brew Pub visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Old Ale |  18.00% ABV

(Beer added by: fantome on 03-01-2004)

Sinatra716, Feb 04, 2014

HoudiniRN, Aug 09, 2014

j6reid, Mar 06, 2014

josephwa, Jun 25, 2014

On tap at the Great Taste of the Midwest 2014...
Walked up to the Barley Johns Booth, asked for a pour of Rosies...the guy rolled his eyes at me and asked if I had ever tried the base beer...Wild Burnette. I said I hadn't and he proceded to pour me a glass to try...I took one sip of Wild Burnette, and then took a sip of my buddies Rosies...Dumped my glass on the ground, handed it back to the guy and said Rosies please...its THAT good...Like sweet ice tea on a hot summer night, perectly balanced....I could drink it by the pitcher...The best Old Ale I have had too date...too bad its only made every three years! I am in love

TboneRN, Aug 09, 2014

Ristaccia, May 03, 2014

opwog, Apr 24, 2014

I've avoided reviewing this over the past couple of months because I didn't want to sully the memory of it's sweetness, but here I am...again. Six times back for this beer, & counting. Another wildly expensive ($9) five ounce pour.

The pour is my favorite, redhead, with red highlights. The smell is like sticking your nose into heaven, but who cares? I want this in my mouth, not up my nose. Onward.

Rosie's Old Ale is a purebred work of art. The overwhelming impression is one of fine, artisanal caramel created by gorgeous virgins & imbued with a kick of searing, high-quality alcohol. After that perfect onslaught of caramel, almost nothing else matters. Huge sweetness. Great balancing vanilla with a slow, subtle burn of bourbon that never overpowers the beer. Dry. Five ounces at a time is probably a good idea given the ABV, but I could go at this in pint glasses & die happy.

This beer has that elusive "X" factor that so many brewers strive for & so few achieve. A dull rendition of the tastes - barrel, caramel, blahblahblah - just doesn't do it justice. This is liquid poetry, the formula probably found on ancient stone tablets delivered by some pagan god. This is perfect beer #5 for me. Simply stunning.

maximum12, May 07, 2014

seangibbs60, Feb 02, 2014
4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

At 18% I expected some rubbing alcohol taste, but none present at all. For the ABV, actually remarkably smooth drinking. Brewery pours a 5-6oz pour. Taste lingers well, rum and raisin present.

Alcohol is slightly present in the aroma, which is the only knock I haven't against this awesome beer.

treznor, May 07, 2014

egrace84, Aug 10, 2014

EJJ1848, Feb 20, 2014

SaxmanRick, May 03, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Well well well! Cant believe I am writing this review! Ever since the first post on this brew I began questing after it. I have to thank Feloniousmonk for his efforts to get some of this MN treasure to a thirsty BA in CT.
Brew is ina growler and I pour a sample into the snifter. I am drinking at just below room temp as the growler wason the sunporch before I got in. The beer pours a very dark hazy mahogany color with a beige head that foams up well and quickly fades. Not surprising with the ABV on this one!
The aroma is incredibly complex: rich malt with molasses, maple syrup, ripe pears and plums coming through strongest.
First sip reveals the expected huge body and very syrupy texture. This texture is appealing in my mind. Carbonation is mild but existant, adds some nice texture to remind me this is a beer. Flavor is huge malty hit with molasses and caramel dominating, also rich toffee flavors. As the brew warms (and my belly too) I pick up some plum and maybe raisins as well. Not surprisingly bourbon hints too. The beer is amazingly smooth for the high ABV and easy to drink in sips. Not a beer to drink a lot of in one sitting. I poured some into a bottle and recapped with homebrew gear, just to see what happens. I do get a nice warming in my throat and belly as I finish the second snifter. Wow time for bed after that!

Thanks for giving me this opportunity Feloniousmonk!!

sulldaddy, Apr 05, 2004