No. 06 Oatmeal Stout - Gella's Diner & Lb. Brewing Co.

No. 06 Oatmeal Stout
No picture uploaded.

Gella's Diner & Lb. Brewing Co. visit their website
Kansas, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.00% ABV

Full-bodied stout with hints of caramel, coffee and chocolate. True “Liquid Bread”and a meal in itself.

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-06-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of No. 06 Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

The Oatmeal Stout offered by Liberty Brewing of Hays, Kansas, is arguably their flagship beer. I had a chance recently to stop by Gellas / LB and came away thoroughly impressed, particularly with their stouts. I picked up growlers of both the Liberty Stout (a delicious American Stout) and the Oatmeal Stout, which I'm preparing to sample now. In many ways I'll be comparing this to the aforementioned Liberty Stout, which I had earlier today and really enjoyed.

This one pours dark, though when comparing it side by side next to the Liberty it is browner and thinner in appearance. A beige tan head caps the brew, with some nice silky lacing. The aroma is more subdued as well, and less pronounced. Mouthfeel is appropriately slick for the style, with medium bitterness and little in the way of carbonation.

The taste is subdued as well, but I like it. There's nothing bold about the beer, but that's a good thing. Roasted walnut is up front, with some light sweetness in the middle and earthy bitterness in the finish. Yum. It's really easy drinking. I'm halfway into this review and about halfway through my glass. The oatmeal is there, in the middle, and I know it's adding to the body of the beer. This is a light and refreshing take on the style, if that's possible. I want to use the usual descriptors when talking about this beer (toasty, chocolate, etc.), but they aren't really present in this brew. It's more mild, roasted, and smooth. For some reason I think of malt-o-meal, which I haven't had in ages. Maybe it's the whole oatmeal-breakfast thing that's taking me there.

In terms of oatmeal stouts this one is up there with Samuel Smith's, Free State's, and uh yeah, that's about it. Probably top 3 for me, which is pretty impressive for a brewery out in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. It's crazy to think that this brewery is pumping out great beer like this. I'll be going back, for sure.

eclaycamp, Sep 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Very deep brown color almost black with a brown tint. The head comes in at a thin nice mocha color.

Very heavy oat smell along with a toffee, coffee and dark chocolate a good mix but weighted towards the grain.

The taste is reminiscent of the smell, but with more complexity. The oat fades to more of a smoothness that intertwines with the light caramel and the heavier flavors of the dark chocolate and coffee.

This is one smooth tasty oatmeal stout. A real good sipper. If your ever in western Kansas (and I don't wish that on anyone) at least you can stop by Liquid Bread for some awesome beer.

bfields4, Aug 28, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now this is more like it. I felt their IPA fell short of the style, but this one is really good. A good thick looking, but clean pour with off tan foam sitting atop the black liquid bread (nice, huh?)

Balance of the coffee, chocolate and dark fruit is great. None stand out, but all are present. Raisin and toffee come and go. Good dry smack to it to let in the malt. Dark chocolate. Easy drinking. This one can be dangerous.

Mebuzzard, May 02, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

My pint arrived an opaque, espresso black with some ruby hues along the meniscus which were only visible when held up to sunlight. Two finger tan head dissipated after a little while to a clingy ring. Decent lacing. Aromas of chocolate malts, coffee and some caramel sweetness. The flavors were downright delicious. Brown sugar, maple, coffee, charcoal (heavily roasted malt) and hints of black licorice. Slightly tart as it warms and the hosp provide some balance. Complex and developed like the girl you had a crush on in high school. Long finish. Full bodied without being heavy, smooth and generally well thought out. Great theory and equal execution. Bravo, nowhere Kansas!

thekevlarkid, Aug 27, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

my pint arrives black, with a tall beige foamy head. After quickly receding, I am pleasantly surprised by the staying power of the final quarter inch of creamy cap.

Nose features coffee, but it is rather mild and not overly roasted. Chocolate follows in cocoa powder form, and there is a nice toffee background.

Flavor follows aroma but in amped up fashion. This is a rich brew. I'd like to session it but I generally feel pretty full after a couple. Body feels quite full, with a nice creaminess. Carbonation has been a little hit and miss - sometimes spot on, sometimes a bit prickly.
Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, delicious beer. In addition to the chocolate and toffee I get a hint of liquorice, balancing hop bitterness plus a bit of bitter char. In addition to the moderately bitter finale the finish is slightly sweet and dry.

as mentioned, it isn't quite as drinkable for me as I'd like. Then again, as I'm always on a road trip when coming here, I suppose that's a good thing. Very good beer, highly recommended.

udubdawg, Jan 20, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours coal black with a dark brown fine creamy 3 finger head. Aroma of caramel, coffee and chocolate malts. Flavors follow with a medium full mouthfeel and excellent complexity suggesting a Kalamazoo Stout! Perfect finish with lingering malts and well bounced hop bitterness. A absolute session beer!

karst, Apr 09, 2006
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
No. 06 Oatmeal Stout from Gella's Diner & Lb. Brewing Co.