Wildfire Lager - Fitger's Brewhouse

good

Fitger's Brewhouse visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Chile Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: fantome on 05-29-2005)
BriaCloette

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

01-15-2013 19:54:41 | More by elcrawl
imthaschmidt

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

This beer pours amber to copper in color

It has a very spicy taste to it.. mutiple peppers and chilis used to create this beer.

It is definately a speciatly beer, had a hard time trying to drink a whole pinty by itself... they said that people typically grab the lighthouse golden ale and go half and half so it drowns out the spicy in the beer

The smell is incredible, very strong pepper smell from the get go

12-28-2012 17:02:16 | More by imthaschmidt

06-15-2012 02:09:54 | More by jera1350
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Little white head. Color is a dark amber.

Aroma: just a massive amount of peppers and spices. Habenero peppers showing the most. Wow.. Intense.

Taste: this beer is incredible hot and spicy. It burns all the way down. Tons of peppers! Habeneros show with a good amount of jalapeños.

Mouthfeel: dry and spiced. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends with peppers.

Overall, this was a bit too hit for me. A small glass was enough.

05-12-2012 18:46:22 | More by mothman
yamar68

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

This is really a hard review for me. I'm a huge fan of all things spicy and a huge fun of beer but I'm having a hard time dissecting the way in which they mix here. Had it on tap at the brewhouse along side a Gale Force.

The body is a hazy burnt orange with a finger of dense white head. Good lacing. Every thing seems in order in that respect.

The nose had me wondering... there was an obvious malt presence that seemed balanced enough, but it was overshadowed by the smell of the peppers. And not in the way you would expect - no real spice, more like sweet bell peppers.

The taste took a similar direction. Up front there were some soft, basic malt notes. But then a wave of vegetable bits that then get snuffed out by the one redeeming aspect of the taste for me: immense heat.

I actually enjoyed the prolonged burn of the serranos and habaneros, but I can certainly see how this could be a turn off for some.

Overall, I sort of hope that the veggie bits were a mistake and not the norm, as I found lots of potential in every other corner of this beer.

04-24-2012 23:20:51 | More by yamar68
beckje01

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Reddish gold appearance, still no head. It smells of burn and strong pepper, maybe some banana pepper. Pepper. Start with a pepper taste then just a big burn of my throat overwhelming everything. I personally can not handle this one at all to even try and find taste other then pain and pepper. If you love peppers which many do this beer is for you. But I just can't do this one.

08-13-2008 11:15:16 | More by beckje01
Redrover

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

The Wild Fire lager pepper beer is back on tap as of 7/29/08. The beer is a brassy bronze with a beige head. It has a big nose of green and jalapeño peppers with the "beer" smell pushed way back.

The beer has a bite. The pepper is snappy with a residual burn. It really overwhelms the base beer. Peppers become even more prominent as you work your way through the beer.

The mouth is fine, but a definite one off for me. This is the first time I've needed a beer to chase another beer with!

07-31-2008 20:30:16 | More by Redrover
dfried

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

On tap at the Brewhouse December of 2006.

Deeper amber/toffee like color, thin tan head. The aroma was ofcourse full of chili's, but not quite the nose burner that the ale version of this beer was. The aroma of this one actually has a detectable malt character. The taste is all pilsner like lagery malt right away, the peppers actually give you a chance to taste taste the malt before you get assulted by heat. The heat actually dies down a bit between sips, but not much.

Verdict: I love spicy food, so I actually enjoyed this beer a lot. Thier e-mail anouncing its release called this their most drinkable version of Wildfire to date, and I would have to agree with that, but it's still not for those who can't handle the heat. There wasn't excessive face sweating like the ale version. If I could I think I would have one of these every night I went out, good stuff.

12-22-2006 04:06:26 | More by dfried
feloniousmonk

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

I had the previous version of this at the Autumn Brew Review 2004, last fall, and it set my face on fire! Supposedly mellower, this is the new brew, courtesy of a growler delivered by fantome, bless his heart.

Peppers peek out on first pouring the brew, hot, hot, hot!!!

Clear amber/crimson color, no head at all...
Aroma: ow! Hot, hot, hot!!! 100% peppery! wow, what a mix!
Taste: AAAHHH!!!! OWWWW!!! OH, JEEZUS!!! AH, AH, AH, Ah, A?HHHH!!!!@HOLY F*@$!!! SH*%!!!
...take a drink of water...does no good...MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!!! AGAIN!!!

I think I'd prefer this as an ale, actually, with a bit more going on in it, to provide some balance, something else going on to contend with the heat...the HEAT! WHOA< GOD, IT's STILL ATTACKING MY TONGUE@!!! AAAHHH!!!!

I swear to God, I will finish this pint...on this, I swear...OW!!! I really mean it!!!
Holy F*^&..pant, pant...wheeze, wheexe...Holy m%th#rF87=ng H#((!!

Better than Crazy Ed's Cave Creek, but still suffers by lacking the body and flavor it would get just by being top fermented with ale yeast, I think, ever humbly...

more water, gulp, gulp, cool down, cool down...

I loook at the 1/2 pint left, and fear it...what will I do with the rest of the growler?
water, water, water...yet temperature still rises...

read fantome's review and hear of the peppers employed to learn of the intensity...Great Vishnu, Almighty Zeus, Most Honored Mohammad, Towering Jupiter, Blessed Buddha...someone save me!!!

...the drinkability is impaired because it can't be called "average" or anything higher...what can it be compared to? Nothing!

and, yet it's quite good, for what it is, which is nothing like anything else...my lips are ablaze, and I haven't touched it in 5 minutes...Oh, please, most benificent Odin...Jesus, Buddha, Spongebob...someone...help...someone help...

06-02-2005 03:58:51 | More by feloniousmonk