Framboise - Fitger's Brewhouse

Fitger's Brewhouse visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: wisrarebeer on 06-28-2009

Base beer fermented with brewer's yeast. Racked to second-use wine barrels and added a blend of brettanomyces, lactobacillus, and pediococcus. The beer sat in barrels for 2 years. Racked onto raspberries in a stainless steel where it sat for another 8 months.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by bevenson:
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From tasting notes on 1/9/2010

Corked bottle (76/90)

Served in tasting glass

A - Reddish brown and cloudy. Low forming head with tight bubbles that quickly dissipates. I had considerable trouble removing the cork so I was worried that this beer would be dead flat. Even the low carbonation was a relief.

S - Earthy Brett character up front but not dominant. Sour, tart raspberries. Mild bready malt. Very well balanced; nothing seems to outshine any other component.

T - Wow. Earthy Brett that doesn't go as far as the strong barnyard/horse blanket I've tasted in some. Brett is a little less noticeable than in a Boon Kriek. Raspberries meld very well with the Brett and lacto notes in that it's hard to distinguish what flavors are a result of the wild yeasts and which are from the raspberries. Mild sweet malt flavor keeps this beer from being too sour. Brett and raspberries linger in the aftertaste.

M - Light body. Even with the low carbonation, the sourness packs enough of a punch to lend a dry, crisp finish. Very refreshing beer that I could (and did) sip on all night.

D - The best framboise I have had yet to date. I shared this beer at my homebrew club's hoiday party, which made the experience even more special. I'm bending the rules a little in that I'm not reviewing this beer as I'm tasting it, but given the ultra-limited release I wanted to document my thoughts on this beer before I had forgotten.

Did the novelty of the once in a lifetime opportunity influence my thoughts on the beer? Probably, which is why for the numbers I rated it a little harsher than my notes warranted. But if I see Fitger's releasing another lambic, I'll definitely try to buy some. (1,689 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

At the Brewhouse. Beautiful cherry red color with surprising clarity. Dismal faintly pink head.

Aroma is straight raspberry. Fresh raspberry at that. Nice notes of the herbal quality of raspberry leaves as well. A touch of acetic sourness on the nose, as well as the faintest touch of woody funk.

A nice medium body starts of with strong lactic sour notes, which slowly, slowly, and sourly, lead the way to delicate raspberry sweetness. The lactic sourness is really the king here, though. It comes in groves, leaving the tongue dry and puckered til the raspberry takes over at the very end. Faint notes of herby, woody, funk are present here, a product of the barrels and aged hops, I assume.

Overall this is a really nice framboise. I love the effort Fitger's put into this, and it shines through in the final product. I personally love the level of sourness, but I think for the style, I'm looking for just a touch more raspberry flavor in the notes. I feel most of it was fermented away, leaving it quite dry and sour. Overall, though, I'm diggin' it. (1,060 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for picking this one up for me and shipping it to me after I bought it over the phone. Thanks buddy! Shared during BRoss242’s send-off party before he moves! Will miss you man! Bottle #305 of 408! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured red-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, raspberry, cherry, and tart. The flavor was of sweet malt, raspberry, tart, earth, and cherry. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. MBrausen told me about this one while I was still laid up from my accident and I knew I had to jump on it. I’m really glad that I did. A very nice Framboise that was fairly spot-on for the style. Not as sweet as some as I have had in the past which was a nice change that allowed the fruit to carry throughout without interruption. This made it very easy to drink and quite enjoyable. Definitely worth trying or seeking out if you have not done so already as Brew House has a winner here. (1,129 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks Jeff for sharing this one!

Reddish orange amber color, some initial froth and foam that sticks around the edges a little.

Fresh fruity raspberry aroma, seedy and distinct.

Flavor follows, lots of raspberry tartness, dry tannic finish. Pleasant and quenching with lots of fruit character. Tasty little framboise. (323 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Into snifter... At the Brewhouse.

Pours a rosewater ruby. Slightly cloudy with a one finger white head.

Nose: must, barnyard funk, medicinal cherry, raspberry, light hint of orange citrus.

Taste: Acidic, savory mustard, dried cranberry, only light hints of raspberry.

Moderate carbonation, crisp and acidic finish with bitter acidic aftertaste. This beer is a flavor delivery vehicle that allows the consumer to ride each sip for minutes. Delicious and drinkable. Highly recommended! (487 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass. Bottle 237 of 260. 6% ABV.
A: Pours a nice ruby red with thin white head that quickly recedes.
S: Tart raspberry with a hint of spice.
T: Follows aroma...Tart raspberry with a hint of spice (cinnamon?).
M: Tart and sweet. Light body. Refreshing.
D: Nicely drinkable. Decent offering for style. (348 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured on tap at Fitger's into a 10oz snifter.

A. Pours a dark redish orange, nice 3mm white head, maintains thickness for minutes afterwards with very nice lacing.

S. Smells of sweet tart cherries, raspberries, slight bread and a wonderfull tartness.

T. Tastes of sweet raspberries, tart cherries, and a bit of sour grapefruit with a hint of orange.

M. Medium body, smooth with a medium heavy carbonation, mildly chewy, with a wet tingly finish.

O. A very good beer, lots of depth, lots of flavor. I feel like in a few years this beer would pop and be just amazing. A little time to mellow and change. A very good beer. I can't wait to crack one of the bottles I picked up. (679 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.11/5  rDev +1%

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

2/20/2010

Bottle #27/90 shared by Jon (WeeheavySD) at Woodshop 5.0. Thanks! The beer appears reddish pink with a one finger fizzy white head. I tried this immediately after Gargamel and was surprised to find more fruit in this. Tart raspberry skins and flesh accompany notes of wood, vanilla, and lactic character in the nose. The flavor is of tart raspberries and a clean lactic sourness. Oak is noticeable midpalate and the beer is moderately tart with a tannic fruity finish. The fruit is expressive. Very good. (515 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%