Deception - Fitger's Brewhouse

pDev: n/a
Fitger's Brewhouse visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.20% ABV

Imperial Stout aged in 3rd use bourbon barrels. Beer was soured through wild yeast addition and aged on Montmorency cherries.

(Beer added by: mothman on 10-03-2010)
4/5  rDev n/a

4.05/5  rDev n/a

First trip up to Fitger's in January. If you're in Duluth this place is a must. Awesome atmosphere and great beers. The first of the evening was Deception.

A: Stouty.

S: Great nosefeel. The cherries really cut through the stout qualities. It gives off whiffs off a wild ale at times as well.

T: Wow, deceptive indeed! The taste is appealing but unlike anything I've had before - and much different than what I thought it would taste like. The cherries are dominant giving way to the oak & chocolate aspects after a few more sips.

M: I've never had a Sour Stout, but good gracious thats what this feels like (in a good way, not in an Abyss 09 way).

Overall, this is a very solid beer. The cherries were more prevalent than I would have assumed, but they definitely add to the uniqueness of this fine brew. Recommended if you make your way up to Duluth

4.15/5  rDev n/a

A big thanks to my father for grabbing me a growler of this while up in Duluth. When I called Fitgers to get more details on this brew they said this was an "imperial stout made with belgium wild yeast, aged in virgin oak barrels and then aged with sour cherries." Drank this last night with some friends:

A - Pours flat with really no sign of carbonation or head. Color is a dark core with a brownish, ruby hue around the edges. Although I'd rate this a 3.5, I'm going to give it the benefit of a doubt that if I had drank this growler sooner or had it on tap, the carbonation would have been better but I waited about 4 days after receiving this growler to drink it. A very pretty color though.

S - A bit roasty and malty. Smells of sour cherries and oak. Little bit of chocolate and vanilla but its pretty light. A bit funky too.

T - Really sour cherries and wild yeast up front and a bit of roast toward the end. I'm really suprised how sour this one is. Its not a pucker sour but its there. Oak and a bit chocolate also.

M - I really wish this one had carbonation. Its smooth and refreshing and the sour is there. For an imperial stout I also wish it had more roasty notes that usually come along with a stout.

D - I thought this one was good. Not great but also not bad. The thing that really effected this brew for me is the lack of carbonation. As I stated before, I believe it to be because it was in a growler, probably filled directly off the tap, so if I would have drank it sooner maybe the carbonation would have been a bit better. Also, although I liked the sour cherries I would have really like this to be a bit more roasty and chocolate flavoring. I still drank more of this out of all the people I shared it with. Would really like to try this on tap, but if you get a growler of this, it might be better to drink it right away than to wait.

3.58/5  rDev n/a

Appearance: Black as night, no light passes thru the beer

Head: Small bubbles that dissipates quickly other than that no head

Smell: Heat, malty, sweetness, bourbon, and oak

Weight: Very light

Taste: Roosted malts with sour cherry notes

Finish: Dry with tart that hangs around for a long time

All in all for the way this acts, I would call it sour ale

3.7/5  rDev n/a

Draft at Autumn Brew Review. I believe this was a special IS that they blended with cherries and aged in bourbon barrels. Poured a reddish brown color with a tan head. Wow, tart and sweet cherry notes in the nose. Some dark roasty notes as well. The taste is very cherry forward followed by an earthy oaky taste accompanied by some coffee type taste and bitterness. An interesting blend of flavors that I like. Medium mouthfeel.

3.95/5  rDev n/a

Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout

Pours a tan head. Color is black with a slight ruby hue around the edge of the glass.

Aroma: Tart cherries up front. They remind me a lot of the Cherry Batch cherries. Roasted and chocolate malts. It is fresh. It is malty but has the cherries coming through nicely.

Taste: Pretty much how a cherry stout should taste like. It is cherry, it is tart, it is chocolate. It has a little light roast. I can't taste any bourbon or oak in it. It is a bit warming, so maybe it is there but I wouldn't have guessed it being barrel aged.

Mouthfeel: Tart, smooth, creamy. Really nice feel to it. Medium bodied, a little lighter than I was expecting it to be. It has a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean with a little tartness to it.

Overall, it is a good cherry stout. Whether it is bourbon barrel aged is another question. I do like this one and it has a good drinkability.

Deception from Fitger's Brewhouse
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.