Michigan - Fitger's Brewhouse

pDev: n/a
Fitger's Brewhouse visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.30% ABV

(Beer added by: ZAP on 04-07-2011)
2.98/5  rDev n/a

From Fitgers Great Lakes Series - Michigan, a Cherry Scotch Ale picked up at the Fitgers Gift Shop. 1 of only 300 bottles made. I can already taste the rarity.

A: Little head, with significantly less carbonation than I was expecting.

S: Cherry smell is present, but not as strong as I would have assumed. Overall, decent nosefeel.

T: Based on the smell and overall experience with other Fitgers brews I was expecting a lot, but wow is this missing a lot. Lacking significant malt qualities. It has the boozy characteristics from a scotch ale I desire, but beyond that it doesnt do anything for me.

M: Thin! Figured this would be more complex, but there was no redeeming quality once all was said and done. The cherry taste is more than subtle and actually hurts the mouthfeel of the beer.

Overall, I applaud their attempt but it just didnt work for me. So far, its the only Fitgers brew I've had which failed to live up to expectations.

4.28/5  rDev n/a

Brewers Description: "Lake Michigan Scottish Wee Heavy is a strong Scottish ale aged with dried cherries from the shores of Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay. A strong malty finish blends with the dried fruit flavors from the cherries to create the backbone for this high alcohol beer."

$17 for a 750...a bit steep and by the sounds of it they are not selling very fast but I couldn't pass it up as I was in Duluth for the first time in ages.

Pours a cherrywood color...pretty clear....no head...little carbonation...

Nice malty rich aroma with notes of toffee, cherries and nuts. Not sure how to characterize the other aspect I am noticing....not quite peaty....not quite smokey....call it earthy..

The first sip is loaded with full flavors of toffee and nuts...the cherry notes are very subtle but add a nice soft secondary element....this has some booziness to it but in a good way....kind of a rummy booze feel...not biting but sweeter.

Definitely a sipper but thinner in feel than I expected.... Lots of flavor and aroma though...I like this.

Michigan from Fitger's Brewhouse
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.