Huron - Fitger's Brewhouse

Doppelbock |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bighuge on 04-10-2011

Reviews by joshuaseresse:
4.12/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks again to my father for picking up this bottle for me while in Duluth on business. Bottle #42 of 204. 750ml bottle. Split with some friends the other day in La Crosse and poured into snifters:

A - Pours an almost flat with only a touch of carbonation. Pretty dark brown. Kind of lifeless.

S - A smokey peat, bacon, jerky, roast malts. Little bit of chocolate and charred oak.

T - Charred, damp wood and smoked peat. Roast and a hit of molasses. Perhaps a bit of sweetness from the cherry smoked malts.

M - Flat but clean. The smoke dries the mouth a bit.

O - One of the best smoked brews that I've had, but here's the thing...I really don't care for smoked beer. The lack of carbonation was a hurt, but the smell and taste is kind of what I expected. I have another bottle in the cellar and I'm really hoping it has some carbonation. A must try for those who like smoked beer but this one might not be for me. I based the rating on the style of the beer rather than my personal opinion about my dislike for smoked beer.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Bottle #108 of 204.

This dopplebock has 30% cherry-smoked malt in the grain bill.

The appearance is a deep, dark mahogany/cherry wood appearance. Slight beige head on top leaves minimal lacing.

Malt heavy aroma with some very nice smoky accents. Very slight booze presence on the nose, but all in all, a very nice and well integrated aroma.

This beer represents the convergence ot two great flavor attributes....smoke and rich malts. The combination is daunting. Especially in the handss of a great brewpub such as Fitgers. The flavor is exceptional. A perfect amount of jerky like smokiness (which in my book is pretty heavy) blends with sublimely rich malts. This is quite the luxurious blend. Some smoky residue lingers for a while after the drink. Rich malt and smoke are the main players, but other secondary characteristics contribute to the overall flavor experience as well....cherry, fig, dates, rum and chocolate. The mouthfeel is even keeled. Carbonation is on the low side, but fitting for the style. Alcohol is barely perceptible. Very, very enjoyable beer. Thanks Zapster.

Huron from Fitger's Brewhouse
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.