Dragonfly IPA - Upland Brewing Company

Dragonfly IPADragonfly IPA

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002)
Reviews by fullmoonbeer:
fullmoonbeer

08-10-2013 21:10:10 | More by fullmoonbeer
davemarc87

04-03-2014 14:30:35 | More by davemarc87
RoyalT

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance - This beer was gorgeous altho strangely dark brown in color. Other than that, the liquid was clear and the head lasted forever leaving a thick film along the inside of my pint glass.

Smell- I get some nice pine hopping up front, don't understand what all of these "no hops" reviews are talking about, but there is also a huge malt base here that does kind of take over the nose.

Taste - The malts definitely take over at the taste but I'm still getting some good pine and hop bittering with a smudge of orange. I would have liked to have seen a little sweetness from the malt but otherwise this has a very pleasing flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with strong bitterness from beginning to end.

Drinkability - This is not a typical example of the an AIPA as others have noted but IMO within range of the style with quality ingredients and high quaff ability quotient.

08-13-2011 22:21:12 | More by RoyalT
ajkiser12

11-27-2012 19:41:14 | More by ajkiser12
mverity

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%

Clear pale yellow with a touch of amber. Little head with almost no lacing. Aroma is faintly hoppy, think earthy-piney and a faint caramel sweetness. Taste is pretty much the exact same. Medium body with high carbonation. Decent IPA but I wouldn't track this one down.

11-18-2013 02:13:13 | More by mverity
Duster72

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a beautiful orange hue with a monster head and sticks around for several minutes. Aroma is pleasant hops with an emphasis on floral. Taste is very bitter with high astringency. Way out of balance. Definitely some wheat qualities here, but not in a good way. Not gumballhead. Ultimately it's too bitter for me and pretty undrinkable. I would rather move on to something I enjoy more.

05-28-2007 16:25:37 | More by Duster72
Billolick

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

12 ounce bottle, from a 12 bottle sampler box. Pours semi cloudy almond amber, typical khaki head, then film and leaves strands of lace. I get orange and grainy hops in the nose. I'm suprised by the low number for this one. Its a moderatly hopped, easy drinking IPA, with some grapefruit citrus, more grainy hops and a decently smooth malt under belly. NOthing amoazing, just a respectable, BA worthy everyday pale ale/almost an IPA

08-08-2009 20:42:42 | More by Billolick

02-15-2014 20:55:46 | More by Cynic-ale
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.46/5  rDev +1.2%

Appears a slightly hazed copper amber hue with a bright off white light khaki head forms thick, with fine bubbles. Aroma big earthy slightly pine and citric based hops, it's almost tart with some herbal hop nose action going on. More pronounced with hop bitterness than hop flavor it's an interesting barrage of hop pellets on the palate, acidic cat pee, citrus zest, and earthiness. Cloying hop bitterness lacks the complimentary malt balance which really makes most IPAs drink so well, this is like some of those early homebrew versions of an IPA that many of us had trying to pack too many hop pellets into the boil without making it blend comfortably with the malt profile. Multiple sips later it reveals the same problems, definitely didn't want to run from it first time I've seen the Dragonfly IPA in Steubenville Ohio. However it doesn't measure up to some of the best standards this style has out there at similar or equal pricing, a cloying bitterness crushes hard between each sip. Carbonation is just a hair too much for me adding to the harshness with each sip medium bodied slightly resinous hop oils sit on the palate. Overall, I think I have hashed and rehashed the reasons why I'm not a fan, beer mail me with further questions.

10-24-2013 16:55:21 | More by WVbeergeek
rudylaw

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

12oz bottled in March.

Getting a nice 2 finger head with a hazy copper pour... and that's where the good parts end.

Smells and tastes extremely funky. Not at all what I want in an IPA. I'm getting subdued citrus and some breadiness but just can't get around all the funk.

Edit: I tried this again and liked it a whole lot more than the first time. A good example of trying a beer more than once before forming a final opinion.

06-17-2009 19:34:29 | More by rudylaw
glid02

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle via trade with GCurlow – much obliged!

Pours a clear copper color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head dissipates into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of grainy pale malts with good amounts of earthy and lightly floral hops. Also present are slight amounts of light citrus hops.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Moderately dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by light citrus hops. Midway through the sip heavy earthy hops come into play, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It’s slightly on the thin side with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is also OK. I didn’t have a problem finishing my glass but I’m not sure about another.

Overall this isn’t a bad beer but there isn’t any one thing that stands out as “good”. I could see this being a good stepping-stone beer for an introduction into craft beer.

05-20-2011 01:50:23 | More by glid02

sgttibbs

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

04-26-2014 19:39:34 | More by sgttibbs
rhoadsrage

(Served in a tulip glass)
bottled in March '12
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy aged copper body with a creamy light tan head that last as it sticks to the glass.

S- The aroma of slightly pungent lime hops fills the glass.

T- The slightly dry caramel malt flavor gives way to green hops that have some nice bright pungency to them. There is some Vienna malt and biscuit malt notes that finish in just a touch of sweetness.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a slightly creamy fizz to it and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has some nice malt depth under a nice full hop flavor.

08-02-2012 12:52:41 | More by rhoadsrage
hydroplaner

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -5%

05-04-2013 20:53:53 | More by hydroplaner
brewtaster

3.99/5  rDev +16.7%

A very solid brew. I consider this one of my "go to" IPA's Not being a native Hoosier I am not biasing my opinion. I just think this is a staple IPA, nothing elaborate but on par for the style it claims. I would agree with some of the other reviews in that this reflects more of an English IPA than that of an "overhopped American IPA" which I love as well when the tastebuds dictate.

11-11-2013 02:52:41 | More by brewtaster
soper2000

4.3/5  rDev +25.7%

Procured via trade w/ bdorf94 (aka, my roommate).

I've been looking to try this for awhile but for some reason, I never got around to purchasing it. It's finally in my hands though. Pours a toasted orange into my pint glass with a slow building head (sort of like when you pour coke, the head builds instead of rushing all up at once). The two fingers worth of foam didn't last long though, but it left a nice lacing throughout the glass. A strong bready maltiness initially strikes me as I bring my nose to the glass. That was a shock. Some resiny hop notes can be found further back in the aroma. Taste to me screams English IPA. A lot of malt character (bread and caramel) was present with the hops coming up only as an aftertaste. I do not know how old this bottle is, but if aging was responsible for this the well balanced nature of this. I'm going to buy a six-pack and let it sit. Extremely well balanced and drinkable. I'm loving this particular bottle. I will be buying this again and if the first bottle is harsh, I'll just wait six months to have a fantasic brew, even if it's not a hop-bomb.

04-28-2005 02:26:14 | More by soper2000

zachpaschal

08-19-2014 02:42:42 | More by zachpaschal
secondtooth

3.35/5  rDev -2%

Pours a pleasant caramel amber in color, with a rich, tan head.
Fine and detailed lacing on the glass.
Superb aroma -- tangy sweet flowers and green hoppy grapefruit love!
Flavor is subdued, tasty but not too unique.
Maybe I need a fresher batch? Still, a solid IPA, for a decent price.

02-21-2011 21:58:35 | More by secondtooth
tjsdomer2

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: One of the lighest IPAs I've had. Golden brown. Decent foam and good lacing.

Smell: Typical caramel malts and pine hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Good balanced flavor. Basically your standard IPA flavors, but this one does a great job with the basics. Mouthfeel is pretty good, sometimes a bit too carbonated or watery.

Drinkability: Maybe the best starter IPA.

Overall: A good beer.