Dragonfly IPA - Upland Brewing Company

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

Delicious IPA. Smells of grapefruit, pine, even some orange. Tastes just the same. Loads of hops in the beginning with a bitter malt finish. One of my favorite "Go To" IPAS. Great around a campfire.

4.53/5  rDev +32.8%

While my least favorite of the Upland brews, the Dragonfly is still a nice IPA in its own right. It has a great appearance, a nice deep copper color. It does have the least scent of any IPA I've had, there was very little to detect in the smell, not even a lot of hoppiness. It does have a very nice hoppy flavor, but with a very bitter aftertaste (even more than usual for an IPA). While not the smoothest, it is still easy to drink.

Gotten nothing but better, with wonderful hops (citrus and floral) throughout, along with a great malt backing.

AR 4.5 Ap 4.5 F 4.5 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Bought as a 12 oz bottle in Elkhart, IN. Poured into a glass.

Nice aroma, blending some pineapple and some pine.

Pours a clear orange liquid with an off-white head. Leaves belgium lace on the glass.

Flavor is nice and refined. I agree with the label that says "just the right amount of bite," as the hops are well-balanced. I might be inclined to call this an American Pale Ale though rather than an IPA, but that might because I've had too many crazy IPA's of late.

Nice and dry with some fruity pineapple-y notes. More aromatic than bitter hops.

Nice smooth medium-mouthfeel.

I must say that this is my second outstanding beer from Upland Brewing company. I want more!

A very solid IPA. Here goes:

A: Clear amber-orange with a very large head that leaves a ton of lacing. Lots of protein content apparent. Great appearance. 4.75/5.00

S: Lots of grapefruit, lemon, orange-peel and pine. Also caramel malt to balance out the hops. 4.5/5.0

T: Good. Pine is more apparent in the taste than in the nose. Overall taste lemon, orange, pine and grapefruit - the last two of these are the most apparent. The beer also has somewhat of a malt backbone to balance out the hops. I enjoyed this beer a lot. 4.25/5.00

M: A little under-carbonated, but the malt makes the beer amply thick. Good, but not great. 4/5

O: I really enjoyed this beer. 4.5/5

4.4/5  rDev +29%

This is a very nice IPA that comes in at a session level ABV of 6 per cent. I need more beers like this that will keep me hoppy happy and out of jail. It poured a reddish orange that connotes a certain kind of IPA taste I like. The nose is very light. Mouthfeel is hust about perfect and may be due to the limestone in their aquifiers. What's wrong with
a pleasant IPA? Nothing.

4.29/5  rDev +25.8%

Procured via trade w/ bdorf94 (aka, my roommate).

I've been looking to try this for awhile but for some reason, I never got around to purchasing it. It's finally in my hands though. Pours a toasted orange into my pint glass with a slow building head (sort of like when you pour coke, the head builds instead of rushing all up at once). The two fingers worth of foam didn't last long though, but it left a nice lacing throughout the glass. A strong bready maltiness initially strikes me as I bring my nose to the glass. That was a shock. Some resiny hop notes can be found further back in the aroma. Taste to me screams English IPA. A lot of malt character (bread and caramel) was present with the hops coming up only as an aftertaste. I do not know how old this bottle is, but if aging was responsible for this the well balanced nature of this. I'm going to buy a six-pack and let it sit. Extremely well balanced and drinkable. I'm loving this particular bottle. I will be buying this again and if the first bottle is harsh, I'll just wait six months to have a fantasic brew, even if it's not a hop-bomb.

4.27/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured into a nice sized mug, Upland's Dragonfly IPA exhibited a healthy biege head ~1" in size. The head was slow to disappate, and a good cm or so stuck around for the duration.

The beer was a slightly murky rusty orange or reddish brown, and left very nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was very rich, full, and hoppy, with strong herbal, spicy, and citrus qualities. It is fragrant and bright. Taste is crisp, with just enough bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the malts.

It is not highly carbonated, and the flavors are balanced enough that it enjoys great drinkability. I could see having three or four too many without realizing it...the flavor is well balanced, characterised by grassy, herbal bitterness and rich, malty sweetness.

This is not the greatest beer I've ever consumed, not a masterpiece, but it was well worth the money, delicious, fresh, and highly drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +23.2%

Had on tap at Upland. I will tell you doubters that is beer is dramatically different on tap than in bottles. I didn't like it at all in bottles, and on tap, well, it's great.

The appearance is a good dark amber. The fluffy head dissipates to a lacing-able bit.

A big hop scent is immediate. Fruity and floral, with citrus hints.

Smooth, creamy hop flavor. Wheaty aftertaste. Brandy hints, nice malt flavor but very balanced. Alcohol flavor is not hidden.

Feels light on the tongue.

Easy drink, if on tap. Pretty malty on the aftertaste. The lack of hiding the alcohol hinders the overall quality, but highly drinkable IF ON TAP.

4.16/5  rDev +22%

4.16/5  rDev +22%

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%

What a pain in the ass.
The beer is good!!

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours from the bottle to a bright orange color, with a thin white head that lingers long and leaves good lacing on the glass. Nose is a very pronounced hoppy citrus (mostly grapefruit and oranges) and the taste follows suit perfectly. Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated, tangy and just the right amount of bitterness. This all rounds off to a long, dry, bitter finish. I was very impressed with this beer from a brewer I'd never heard of.

Dragonfly IPA from Upland Brewing Company