Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007

Reviews by nhindian:
3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Blind Beer #3 from Khazadum, with the text: "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band would approve."

Just to start with: Fuck this beer. I haven't even gotten it into my glass (but it got everywhere else) and I already hate it. For starters, the cage holding the cork on is incredibly thin, yet tightly wound, so I cut my thumbs and forefingers up just trying to open it. Then, after I popped it, a steady geyser of foam exploded to greet my face, stove, kitchen floor, and counter, before I nearly threw it into the sink. About 8 minutes and half the bottle later, the creep of foam finally stopped.

Glassware recommendations say flute, snifter, or tulip. After smelling my hands and kitchen and having a good 10 minutes to think on it, I decide that this smells Belgian and go for a Cantillon wine glass.

A - A careful pour to avoid another eruption ends with the glass full of a murky, light orange liquid, almost completely opaque. A 1-finger, eggshell white head lays precariously on top, with moderate retention. A nice ring of foam sticks around for what seems like forever, which is how long this beer gushed for. It looks like it will lace a little, but it tricks me and it trickles down. Like it tricked me in thinking I'd be getting a full bottle of beer. Bastard. (3/5)

S - After my first smell of this beer (which came from wiping it off of my hand, not smelling it in the glass) led me to believe this is a lambic. It's pretty sour smelling and a little musty, with a good amount of barnyard funk in here. Getting a variety of fruits in here from green apple to peaches and oranges or tangerines. I'm also getting some wood or cork as well, coming across as damp cardboard or packing peanuts. Dank and musty like a long-forgotten cellar. (3.5/5)

T - Following in the vein of the nose, this is nice and tart, with a good amount of Brett and Lacto in here. Again, the cornucopia of fruits continues, but now it's more focused on the citrus. The tanginess and tartness is throwing me a little, but I'm thinking it's more tangerine here. (4/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. I was expecting this to be overly carbonated due to the gushing, but it actually feels pretty good on the mouth here. Almost a completely bone-dry finish leaves the palate feeling clean. The combination of all these factors makes it quite pleasant to drink. (4/5)

D/O - As I drink this beer, it starts to win me over. The boisterous entrance likens it to a dear friend who lets himself go at parties; it's not pretty and you want to distance yourself from him, but when he's calm and sober, he's good to have around. This is nice and easy to drink, and thankfully I still have half a bottle to drink after this glass... oh wait. (4/5)

I'm sticking with my lambic prediction here and based on the rather unconventional flavors here, I'm thinking its a U.S. brewery. I want to say either Upland Peach Lambic or Persimmon Lambic, and the big citrus I'm getting is making me go with Persimmon.

The reveal: Upland Strawberry Lambic. No shit. After drinking more after the reveal I guess I can strain to find some strawberry, but I'm still hard-pressed to find it. Still a good beer in any case!

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Very hazy orange with a small bubbly white head that disappears instantly.

S: Funky brett, slightly acidic with notes of strawberry-like fruity notes. The strawberries are actually quite hard to detect.

T: Taste is quite strange. It's somewhat tart and acidic with decent fruity notes. Lots of funky notes of horse blanket, brett and barnyard that doesn't blend very well with the tart fruit notes. Some notes of malts, oak barrel and vanilla. The strawberries are noticeable, but hard to distinguish. The finish is dry and mildly bitter with notes of oak and fresh herbs and grass.

M: Medium body, very sparkling and lively carbonation. Bone dry finish.

D: A good beer, very interesting but a bit tangy. Perhaps it's a little too bretty. It's clean yet murky at the same time. Hard to get a grip on.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

The brewery produced 300 gallons using top fermentation with wild yeast. Conditioned in American white oak casks. Secondary fermentation using whole fruit from Huber Orchards in Starlight, Indiana. This 750 ml corked and capped bottle came from The Keg in Clarksville, Indiana. This brew disembarks from the bottle a slightly hazed golden colored body with a small white head. Active carbonation is apparent in the goblet. A few flecks of spotty lace are left behind. Aroma is sour and acidic with some funky must and strong oak wood tones. Light medium body with a crisp carbonation. Taste is tart and sour, somewhat acidic. Musty oak tones throughout, but the wood is more assertive as it warms. Just a hint of tart strawberries. No added sugars here. Very well done for the style. Rivals many of the better Belgian fruit lambics.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

3.28/5  rDev -19%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

1.73/5  rDev -57.3%

I haven't reviewed in years but feel it is my duty to warn fellow BAs about this beer. I also need to mention that I have had previous vintages that were superb, to say the 2010 vintage was a letdown is an understatement.

2010 vintage. 750 ml bottle. Batch 42-09.

First off, I lost half the bottle to my sink, gushed a good 3 inches out of the bottle. 2 things come to mind, infection or the bits of fruit creating nucleation points. Color is nice, slight pinkish hue.

Smells like someone bottled farts. Strawberries are a distant second.

If farts can be tasted, that's what I got out of it. Sour acidity, some fruit.

Body is watery, thin. Disappointed.

Drinkability suffers because of the smell/taste.

This used to be one of my favorite upland lambics. I will probably be scorned for this review, accused of not recognizing funk or "barnyard" aroma. Trust me, this can not have been the desired result. It tastes like a poorly executed sour homebrew. If this was the desired result upland, please never release this again. Thanks.

Edit, a friend said that I was a bit harsh, that perhaps I got a bad bottle. I hope I did. If I ever have this again and its not as bad, I will edit my review.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

My first from this brewery, thanks Jon for bringing. It was a great changeup in a series of barleywines. In a word, nice. Fruity cloudy colour with significant white head and lace. The nose is decidely strawberry. Easy drinking, medium mouthfeel. Balanced, with oak and a bit of wild yeast notes.

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to BA Verecund for this one. Poured from a capped and corked bottle into a Darkness sniffer. Shared with schen9303.

A: Pours a frothy ring of white that dissapates down to a layer of bubbles hugging the side of the glass. Beer is a semi cloudy bright orange. Lacing is not existent.

S: Nose is moderately aromatic. Oaky presence with a slight layer of Brett and strawberry tartness in the back. Twinge of booze. Tartness is rather sharp overall but pleasant.

T: Opens slightly Bretty. Cobwebs and bandaid. Oaky presence right after the initial funk with a strawberry tartness that settles in towards the middle. Dries out a bit towards the end with a Brett and heavy fruit finish. Aftertaste is more of the same. Very simple overall but spot on in terms of style and flavor emphasis.

M: Light to medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with a slight presence of bubbles. Tart, puckering, and mildly dry going down with a crisp finish and a slightly lingering aftertaste. Very appropriate and refreshing.

D: This one is almost on par with Upland's Raspberry Lambic which has been one of my favorites. Not really a tradition lambic but more of an AWA and a very good one at that. Simple overall but very enjoyable. Worth seeking out!

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.87/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks goes out to aasher for handing this one off to me in our most recent massive in-person trade! Thanks Al! This one was shared during the big Upland sour tasting amongst a large group of BAs! Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a hazy orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, strawberry, funk, tart, and diaper (NOW THAT’S SOME FUNK!). The flavor was of sweet malt, strawberry, funk, sour, tart, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. Upon smelling this one and picking up on a note of diaper with others in the group agreeing I knew this brew was going to bring the funk. Sure enough, it was rather funky with a nice sweetness from the strawberry to balance it out. A really well put together brew that I would love to drink everyday if possible.

Strawberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company