Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Strawberry LambicStrawberry Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007)
1.73/5  rDev -57.3%

I haven't reviewed in years but feel it is my duty to warn fellow BAs about this beer. I also need to mention that I have had previous vintages that were superb, to say the 2010 vintage was a letdown is an understatement.

2010 vintage. 750 ml bottle. Batch 42-09.

First off, I lost half the bottle to my sink, gushed a good 3 inches out of the bottle. 2 things come to mind, infection or the bits of fruit creating nucleation points. Color is nice, slight pinkish hue.

Smells like someone bottled farts. Strawberries are a distant second.

If farts can be tasted, that's what I got out of it. Sour acidity, some fruit.

Body is watery, thin. Disappointed.

Drinkability suffers because of the smell/taste.

This used to be one of my favorite upland lambics. I will probably be scorned for this review, accused of not recognizing funk or "barnyard" aroma. Trust me, this can not have been the desired result. It tastes like a poorly executed sour homebrew. If this was the desired result upland, please never release this again. Thanks.

Edit, a friend said that I was a bit harsh, that perhaps I got a bad bottle. I hope I did. If I ever have this again and its not as bad, I will edit my review.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

2.78/5  rDev -31.4%

When I was little, toys were kind of a big deal. For boys it was Transformers and GI Joe. For the ladies, it was My Little Pony, Pound Puppies and...Strawberry Shortcake. I remember visiting a girl's house and the smell, that awful, rancid plastic horrific stench. Like strawberries, but served in hell. I love strawberries. I like em fresh. I like em frozen. I like em candied on cakes, and I love em fresh. It takes a lot to turn me against one of my favorite fruits. The only fruit with seeds on the OUTSIDE. This lambic has, at least temporarily, soured my relations with this noble fruit.

It smells sharply sour and tastes like melted Strawberry Shortcake dolls. I do not like this beer very much. At least the aftertaste. And the beforetaste. And the burps that follow.

I actually really enjoyed the much maligned Upland Peach. This one is on my naughty list.

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Blind BIF Beer #3

Smells like rotten medicinal fruits farts. Poor smell.

Thick opaque appearance.

Decent tartness taste, much better than the smell. Still tastes old though.

Oline73 guessed this one correctly.

I would like to try a newer bottle now for comparison.

2.95/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottled 9/23/10. Split with a friend; imbibed on 7/30/11 to celebrate my daughter's 1-yr birthday.

The bottle was a gusher all the way, triple rainbow-style. Thankfully I was forewarned and opened over the sink. Poured my allotment into an Allagash chalice. Nice hue to this beer, and a nice bubbly head rests atop. The nose is tart and fruity, curling my nasal passage a bit. The mouth is popping and full of zip. Big tongue-twisting lactic tartness greets me straight away. Wow. Funk's in the house. The sourness of this beer trumps everything else, but there's a dry hay-like character to it, and the mildest of fruit fights through for recognition.

This beer was what I expected when I traded for it, but it's not something I'm a huge fan of. I liked the Blueberry version from these guys better, but this one may be closer to what the boys at Upland were going for. Glad I tried it, but even more glad I split it.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle opens and apple cider tan foam starts to slowly crawl out of the top of the bottle. Pours into the glass with a two finger head that fades quickly leaving a skim with some yeasty chunks. Body is very murky orange and once again resembles fresh apple cider. Nose has a nice bit of sweet tartness, green apple and pixy sticks. With first sip I realize quickly that this beer was better fresher. The sour feel is a bit muted and the yeast is big and thick and carries with it a bit of a medicinal feel. There may be some oxidization going on here. Definitely a musty mouthfeel. Drinkability on this one is relatively poor. This bottle is not the norm.

3.08/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

LEt me start this review out by saying i opened this corked bottle over the sink and after a stream of liquid and bubble sprang from the bottle and into the sink i was left with 3/4 of a glass! Only 10oz pour ive ever paid 20$ for LOL

A- Pours a hazy redish color. Kinda like the inside of a grapefruit, No head as it all went down the drain

S-Smells of strong vinegar and lemon, not getting much starwberry flavor

T-HAs a sour vinegar taste. Not pleasant at the beginning but gets alittle better as you drink on

M-Medium body with GREAT carbonation

D-Overall im ok that more than half of this went down the drain, as it wasn't very tasteful and really funky tasteing. Im excited to try more, better flavors from Upland as i know other will be better. but the strawberry was dissapointing

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

Batch 42-09. (Batch 04, 2nd release, 2009). Opened on 01.20.2011.

Pours a hazy orange-red, scarlet with a half finger head that almost fully recedes. Thin in body, almost no lacing.

At first, I get a good bit of artificial strawberry syrup, some minor, indiscernible funkiness, and lactic sourness. A touch of citrus. On further pours, there's a sulfuric egginess with a lot of band-aid meets strawberry. It's odd and doesn't really come together for me.

Not a ton of complexity in this one: band-aids, artificial strawberry, lactic acidity, and a lactic, yogurt tanginess on the finish. Maybe strawberries shouldn't be used in [so-called] lambics. There is a nice tangy and sour finish. Funk is almost absent.

Medium, medium-thin bodied and effervescent. Lots of people experienced gushers with this one - I didn't, but the carbonation is high.

Mediocre drinkability. Too much lightly sulfuric and phenolic character, but the finish leaves me wanting more. Greater than the sum of its parts.

3.28/5  rDev -19%

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GUSHER!!! After it can be controlled, pours a hazy pinkish orange with no head. Aroma is gross, funk and medicinal/acetone notes. I'm glad I got past the aroma because the taste is pretty good! Funk and strawberries, tart but not crazy. Pretty smooth, not bad but nothing too exciting

poured into a tulip

A.

Pour is a hazy orange color. About 1 fingers worth of fizzy offwhite head. Luckily this one didn't shoot out like my previous one.

S.

smell is a very standard lambic aroma. A wild funky aroma, and a SLIGHT fruity presence. You can faintly get strawberries, but they're definitely young and not ripe strawberries. Mainly sour/funk dominant in this category. A little disappointing after having the others.

T.

Same as nose. Not really "wowing" me. Slight sour and acidic, vinegary notes, a little sweet fruit but you have to really concentrate hard to tell what kind of fruit it is. This is my least favorite out of the 4 that just came out.

M.

light bodied, lots of carbonation. Love the mouthfeel in this, as with most lambics. Slightly dry finish...this goes together well with a little goat cheese.

D.

Not that high here. This is definitely not worth the 20 dollars spent on this bottle. Relatively hard to get, plus the fact it's my least favorite of the others....I can still easily polish off a bottle by myself but will definitely seek out the other flavors.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

My brother picked this one up for me in Indiana.

A: Pours a light golden hue with tones of light red showing thru. Very little head and no retention or lace.

S: Very light sourness with hints of wild barnyard funk. Very light hint of yeast and a touch of tart.

T: Crushed sweet tarts up front with very muted strawberry hiding beneath. A touch of sour and wild yeast as well.

M: Medium in body, with a nice tartness.

D: I enjoyed the level of sour/tart in this beer, but the fruit taste is nearly abscent. I would have liked a nice blast of strawberry. Guess I will move on to the others and see if I can find any more fruit flavor in them. It's drinkable, but not the most tasty.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to my buddies Michael and Jay for the Upland Lambic hookups. I received two bottles of the Strawberry, the first one I opened at a tasting and now this second is all for myself to review, muhahaha!

I remember this one having a great strawberry aroma but it was also very oaky and buttery.

Pours a similar color to a Belgian pale ale, a light amber with a very few bubbles. It seems like none of these Upland Lambic pick up any color to the fruit they have in them. There is a thin ring at first but it disappears in a few minutes. The second pour had LOTS of yeast sediment and really clouded the beer into a milky, papaya color.

Not as fruity as I remembered it back in November but definitely more funky with some wet leather, hay, dry wheat, semi-plastic strawberry aroma--not really "fake" strawberry aroma but not entirely natural either. More green apple than strawberry on the nose, slight plastic aroma as well. The smell seems quite dry, a touch acetic, and with sour and dusty strawberry powder in the background. As the beer settles for a bit, and I take a few sips, I begin to pick up more oak aromas with notes of caramel too.

More acetic on the taste than the aroma would lead, plastic in the finish and fait strawberry flavor. Some green apple flavor, sour grapes, oak. Definitely not as buttery as I remembered either. Nice dryness in the finish. Slightly cheesy at first but doesn't really carry out far enough on the palate. The butter flavor I remembered this one from when I last had it, in November 08, is still noticeable in the back end but the dryness and sourness in the finish pretty much tones it down. I'm also picking up some lemony wheat flavors in the finish and aftertaste. The beers seems to taste more and more oaky as it goes along.

Low to medium carbonation, not bad but not great either.

I think this one was much better back in Nov, it wasn't as sour or dry as it is now but the fruit was more potent and the beer less acetic.

3.4/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Split this 750ml caged and corked bottle with Lukafer. This thing put out a 12 foot gushing fountain once it was opened. Thanks a lot Upland!

A- Pours a hazy dirty orange color. No head on this bad boy. No lacing at all on the sides of the glass. Looks pretty lifeless to me after it shot out like a fountain. Buzzkill!

S- This one was very vinegary smelling in the front of the aroma. I mean it actually tingled my nose! There was a faint hint of strawberry when my nose was stuck to the glass. I let the glass get away from my nose and this strawberry seemed to get stronger but not by much. More of a fresh strawberry aroma and not so much processed. There was some light bready malt in the very back but this got covered quickly by that damn vinegar like aroma which just started to get annoying after a little while and I'm one who really likes lambics!

T- Very acidic vinegar taste in the front of this with a hint of musty strawberry. The middle of this has the vinegar sourness die down and lets the strawberry come out a little more along with some more of the bready malt backbone. This is starting to taste nicer until the vinegar comes through one last time blanketing the strawberry almost completely. The ending on this beer has a little sugary like sweetness that I found not really out of place but it didn't quite fit fully.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was lacking as a whole with this beer. There was a vinegar like flavor with hints of strawberry left on the palate. Aftertaste is medium sourness and sugary light strawberry. There is medium drying on the palate. Flavors were blended to the best they could I suppose. Clean might be the most clear word here but no real off flavors that I could tell.

D- This beer was good but like the Peach Lambic was just a vinegar bomb. I didn't mind it but it started to take its toll on my palate mid beer. Upland I think messed up the newest release of this beer and I kind of feel ripped off for the $20 plus tax that this beer cost me to drink.

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Consumed in an epic tasting on 6.13- from notes.

Appealing cherry color, properly carbonated, forms a small head mimicking the beer's color. Like the peach lambic, does this really taste/smell like strawberries? Hard to say for sure. It's fruity, there's brett. Maybe they shouldve added more fruit. Low level of sourness- more sweet, but drinkable. Interesting to try but I was expecting better for a lambic made with one of my favorite fruits.

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%

My first American made strawberry lambic. The colour was a hazy straw with a small off white head. The aromas was really more like cherries than strawberries. On the palate... did Upland make a label boo-boo?? I swear this is cherry and not strawberry. Nice stuff, but hardly strawberry-like!

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%