Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007

1.73/5  rDev -55.4%

I haven't reviewed in years but feel it is my duty to warn fellow BAs about this beer. I also need to mention that I have had previous vintages that were superb, to say the 2010 vintage was a letdown is an understatement.

2010 vintage. 750 ml bottle. Batch 42-09.

First off, I lost half the bottle to my sink, gushed a good 3 inches out of the bottle. 2 things come to mind, infection or the bits of fruit creating nucleation points. Color is nice, slight pinkish hue.

Smells like someone bottled farts. Strawberries are a distant second.

If farts can be tasted, that's what I got out of it. Sour acidity, some fruit.

Body is watery, thin. Disappointed.

Drinkability suffers because of the smell/taste.

This used to be one of my favorite upland lambics. I will probably be scorned for this review, accused of not recognizing funk or "barnyard" aroma. Trust me, this can not have been the desired result. It tastes like a poorly executed sour homebrew. If this was the desired result upland, please never release this again. Thanks.

Edit, a friend said that I was a bit harsh, that perhaps I got a bad bottle. I hope I did. If I ever have this again and its not as bad, I will edit my review. (1,200 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

When I was little, toys were kind of a big deal. For boys it was Transformers and GI Joe. For the ladies, it was My Little Pony, Pound Puppies and...Strawberry Shortcake. I remember visiting a girl's house and the smell, that awful, rancid plastic horrific stench. Like strawberries, but served in hell. I love strawberries. I like em fresh. I like em frozen. I like em candied on cakes, and I love em fresh. It takes a lot to turn me against one of my favorite fruits. The only fruit with seeds on the OUTSIDE. This lambic has, at least temporarily, soured my relations with this noble fruit.

It smells sharply sour and tastes like melted Strawberry Shortcake dolls. I do not like this beer very much. At least the aftertaste. And the beforetaste. And the burps that follow.

I actually really enjoyed the much maligned Upland Peach. This one is on my naughty list. (869 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Blind BIF Beer #3

Smells like rotten medicinal fruits farts. Poor smell.

Thick opaque appearance.

Decent tartness taste, much better than the smell. Still tastes old though.

Oline73 guessed this one correctly.

I would like to try a newer bottle now for comparison. (269 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle opens and apple cider tan foam starts to slowly crawl out of the top of the bottle. Pours into the glass with a two finger head that fades quickly leaving a skim with some yeasty chunks. Body is very murky orange and once again resembles fresh apple cider. Nose has a nice bit of sweet tartness, green apple and pixy sticks. With first sip I realize quickly that this beer was better fresher. The sour feel is a bit muted and the yeast is big and thick and carries with it a bit of a medicinal feel. There may be some oxidization going on here. Definitely a musty mouthfeel. Drinkability on this one is relatively poor. This bottle is not the norm. (655 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottled 9/23/10. Split with a friend; imbibed on 7/30/11 to celebrate my daughter's 1-yr birthday.

The bottle was a gusher all the way, triple rainbow-style. Thankfully I was forewarned and opened over the sink. Poured my allotment into an Allagash chalice. Nice hue to this beer, and a nice bubbly head rests atop. The nose is tart and fruity, curling my nasal passage a bit. The mouth is popping and full of zip. Big tongue-twisting lactic tartness greets me straight away. Wow. Funk's in the house. The sourness of this beer trumps everything else, but there's a dry hay-like character to it, and the mildest of fruit fights through for recognition.

This beer was what I expected when I traded for it, but it's not something I'm a huge fan of. I liked the Blueberry version from these guys better, but this one may be closer to what the boys at Upland were going for. Glad I tried it, but even more glad I split it. (922 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

LEt me start this review out by saying i opened this corked bottle over the sink and after a stream of liquid and bubble sprang from the bottle and into the sink i was left with 3/4 of a glass! Only 10oz pour ive ever paid 20$ for LOL

A- Pours a hazy redish color. Kinda like the inside of a grapefruit, No head as it all went down the drain

S-Smells of strong vinegar and lemon, not getting much starwberry flavor

T-HAs a sour vinegar taste. Not pleasant at the beginning but gets alittle better as you drink on

M-Medium body with GREAT carbonation

D-Overall im ok that more than half of this went down the drain, as it wasn't very tasteful and really funky tasteing. Im excited to try more, better flavors from Upland as i know other will be better. but the strawberry was dissapointing (793 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Batch 42-09. (Batch 04, 2nd release, 2009). Opened on 01.20.2011.

Pours a hazy orange-red, scarlet with a half finger head that almost fully recedes. Thin in body, almost no lacing.

At first, I get a good bit of artificial strawberry syrup, some minor, indiscernible funkiness, and lactic sourness. A touch of citrus. On further pours, there's a sulfuric egginess with a lot of band-aid meets strawberry. It's odd and doesn't really come together for me.

Not a ton of complexity in this one: band-aids, artificial strawberry, lactic acidity, and a lactic, yogurt tanginess on the finish. Maybe strawberries shouldn't be used in [so-called] lambics. There is a nice tangy and sour finish. Funk is almost absent.

Medium, medium-thin bodied and effervescent. Lots of people experienced gushers with this one - I didn't, but the carbonation is high.

Mediocre drinkability. Too much lightly sulfuric and phenolic character, but the finish leaves me wanting more. Greater than the sum of its parts. (999 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GUSHER!!! After it can be controlled, pours a hazy pinkish orange with no head. Aroma is gross, funk and medicinal/acetone notes. I'm glad I got past the aroma because the taste is pretty good! Funk and strawberries, tart but not crazy. Pretty smooth, not bad but nothing too exciting (284 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

poured into a tulip

A.

Pour is a hazy orange color. About 1 fingers worth of fizzy offwhite head. Luckily this one didn't shoot out like my previous one.

S.

smell is a very standard lambic aroma. A wild funky aroma, and a SLIGHT fruity presence. You can faintly get strawberries, but they're definitely young and not ripe strawberries. Mainly sour/funk dominant in this category. A little disappointing after having the others.

T.

Same as nose. Not really "wowing" me. Slight sour and acidic, vinegary notes, a little sweet fruit but you have to really concentrate hard to tell what kind of fruit it is. This is my least favorite out of the 4 that just came out.

M.

light bodied, lots of carbonation. Love the mouthfeel in this, as with most lambics. Slightly dry finish...this goes together well with a little goat cheese.

D.

Not that high here. This is definitely not worth the 20 dollars spent on this bottle. Relatively hard to get, plus the fact it's my least favorite of the others....I can still easily polish off a bottle by myself but will definitely seek out the other flavors. (1,100 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

My brother picked this one up for me in Indiana.

A: Pours a light golden hue with tones of light red showing thru. Very little head and no retention or lace.

S: Very light sourness with hints of wild barnyard funk. Very light hint of yeast and a touch of tart.

T: Crushed sweet tarts up front with very muted strawberry hiding beneath. A touch of sour and wild yeast as well.

M: Medium in body, with a nice tartness.

D: I enjoyed the level of sour/tart in this beer, but the fruit taste is nearly abscent. I would have liked a nice blast of strawberry. Guess I will move on to the others and see if I can find any more fruit flavor in them. It's drinkable, but not the most tasty. (685 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to my buddies Michael and Jay for the Upland Lambic hookups. I received two bottles of the Strawberry, the first one I opened at a tasting and now this second is all for myself to review, muhahaha!

I remember this one having a great strawberry aroma but it was also very oaky and buttery.

Pours a similar color to a Belgian pale ale, a light amber with a very few bubbles. It seems like none of these Upland Lambic pick up any color to the fruit they have in them. There is a thin ring at first but it disappears in a few minutes. The second pour had LOTS of yeast sediment and really clouded the beer into a milky, papaya color.

Not as fruity as I remembered it back in November but definitely more funky with some wet leather, hay, dry wheat, semi-plastic strawberry aroma--not really "fake" strawberry aroma but not entirely natural either. More green apple than strawberry on the nose, slight plastic aroma as well. The smell seems quite dry, a touch acetic, and with sour and dusty strawberry powder in the background. As the beer settles for a bit, and I take a few sips, I begin to pick up more oak aromas with notes of caramel too.

More acetic on the taste than the aroma would lead, plastic in the finish and fait strawberry flavor. Some green apple flavor, sour grapes, oak. Definitely not as buttery as I remembered either. Nice dryness in the finish. Slightly cheesy at first but doesn't really carry out far enough on the palate. The butter flavor I remembered this one from when I last had it, in November 08, is still noticeable in the back end but the dryness and sourness in the finish pretty much tones it down. I'm also picking up some lemony wheat flavors in the finish and aftertaste. The beers seems to taste more and more oaky as it goes along.

Low to medium carbonation, not bad but not great either.

I think this one was much better back in Nov, it wasn't as sour or dry as it is now but the fruit was more potent and the beer less acetic. (1,979 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Split this 750ml caged and corked bottle with Lukafer. This thing put out a 12 foot gushing fountain once it was opened. Thanks a lot Upland!

A- Pours a hazy dirty orange color. No head on this bad boy. No lacing at all on the sides of the glass. Looks pretty lifeless to me after it shot out like a fountain. Buzzkill!

S- This one was very vinegary smelling in the front of the aroma. I mean it actually tingled my nose! There was a faint hint of strawberry when my nose was stuck to the glass. I let the glass get away from my nose and this strawberry seemed to get stronger but not by much. More of a fresh strawberry aroma and not so much processed. There was some light bready malt in the very back but this got covered quickly by that damn vinegar like aroma which just started to get annoying after a little while and I'm one who really likes lambics!

T- Very acidic vinegar taste in the front of this with a hint of musty strawberry. The middle of this has the vinegar sourness die down and lets the strawberry come out a little more along with some more of the bready malt backbone. This is starting to taste nicer until the vinegar comes through one last time blanketing the strawberry almost completely. The ending on this beer has a little sugary like sweetness that I found not really out of place but it didn't quite fit fully.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was lacking as a whole with this beer. There was a vinegar like flavor with hints of strawberry left on the palate. Aftertaste is medium sourness and sugary light strawberry. There is medium drying on the palate. Flavors were blended to the best they could I suppose. Clean might be the most clear word here but no real off flavors that I could tell.

D- This beer was good but like the Peach Lambic was just a vinegar bomb. I didn't mind it but it started to take its toll on my palate mid beer. Upland I think messed up the newest release of this beer and I kind of feel ripped off for the $20 plus tax that this beer cost me to drink. (2,018 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Consumed in an epic tasting on 6.13- from notes.

Appealing cherry color, properly carbonated, forms a small head mimicking the beer's color. Like the peach lambic, does this really taste/smell like strawberries? Hard to say for sure. It's fruity, there's brett. Maybe they shouldve added more fruit. Low level of sourness- more sweet, but drinkable. Interesting to try but I was expecting better for a lambic made with one of my favorite fruits. (447 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

My first American made strawberry lambic. The colour was a hazy straw with a small off white head. The aromas was really more like cherries than strawberries. On the palate... did Upland make a label boo-boo?? I swear this is cherry and not strawberry. Nice stuff, but hardly strawberry-like! (292 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a champagne flute. 750 mL brown bottle, caged and corked. Dated 9-23-10, batch 42-09. This beer gushed like I’ve never seen a beer erupt before! It had been gently resting in the refrigerator before discharging a dark foamy mess on the counter when opened. After capturing the remaining beer in a flute it retained its modest head. The body was a cloudy golden color.

The smell was acidic, strawberry, and vinegary, very promising. Wood, but with unpleasant hints of plastic, which became stronger as it warmed.

The taste was powerfully sour. Lip puckering sour, wonderful! Fresh strawberries and oak. There was a Sweet-Tarts candy like character in this one. However, there were enough grainy malts to give it a solid core. A nice, bone-dry finish to this one. The mouthfeel was effervescent, with a medium heft to the body. I enjoyed it despite some off notes in the aroma. (889 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 750ml corked and capped bottle into a snifter. Eberges Hazy and dark golden in color. A very thin and wispy head dissapears with great rapidity into nothing. No lacing. Doesnt really look like beer at all; more like orange tea or something.

Aroma is sour and funky with no hint of strawberry. Sour and tart is about all that is in this one, which is about right for a lambic. Although, since this one is aged with strawberries and in oak barrels, I get neither of those.

Very tart and mouth puckering. Slightly sweet but bitter and salty as well. More funkiness. Lemon rind and some strawberry.

Not bad I guess. However, at $16 a bottle, there are much better examples of lambics, with or without strawberries. Based on reviews, this one let me down pretty hard. (782 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9%

Split the 750 bottle with the lady.

Well I guess I should say I split half of a 750 bottle because that's about how much was left after it spewed all over the place upon opening. Pours hazy orange with no head or lacing.

Sweet tart aroma. Loads of funk, blue cheese and serious must. Mild fruit aroma, but wouldn't pick it out as strawberry.

Very tart. More of a lemon presence as the strawberries aren't very assertive on the palate. Very sour and finishes very dry and puckering.

Mouthfeel was a touch on the thin side with obviously more than ample carbonation.

Aside from only getting to drink half the bottle, a decent sour although far from Upland's best offering. (675 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Beautiful cloudy rose brew, with a white head tinted with pink which vanishes almost immediately.

S - Strong funk elements of grass, hay, barnyard and wet rind cheese, with a sour core, and only a slight fruity hint.

T - Smart sharp hit, fruit comes in first, but I cannot really identify any clear strawberry flavor. This is followed with a rapid stab of acid, that washes over any hint of sweetness. Funk in the close comes across as grass and decay, but it is still secondary to the aggressive acidic sourness.

M - Strong carbonation goes a long way to lift the roughest elements away and keep the tongue clean.

O - This is my first Upland sour. I am not wholly won over by this one. The funk and the sour eclipse the fruit, leaving the namesake strawberry to play a secondary role. If the balance of the fruit and funk were reversed, and the fruit played top bill while the funk was underlying with highlights, this would be a world-class brew, but as it is I'm not sure I'd seek this one out again. (1,011 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle opened over the sink - fired two feet into the air. Pours big bubbles into a orangey-pink color with a large head. Smells funky, lactic and a touch medicinal. Not really much of any strawberry in the nose. The taste is funky and sour, but not overly so with just a hint of a strawberry presence. Not really as much as I would like. Moves it way down somewhat easily for a sour. Kind of a let down, but not bad. Mouthfeel is really hugely carbonated as the first sentence elludes to. (489 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

750ml bottle purchase at release. Split with the fiancé.

A - Huge gusher! Literally spray my sink for a coupe of minutes before chilling out. Pours a pinkish light red color, white frothy head, lots of lace and retention.

S - Light sweet fruit, light sour/tart, kinda muted. Not a whole lot going on.

T - Light tartness, light strawberry, some lacto, slight brett. Really though, just "okay" and muted in many aspects.

M - Light, frothy carbonation, dry finish.

O - Not my favorite of the various lambics. Really muted and not the best I've had from Upland. The explosion of this one was disappointing as well. Slightly above average. (640 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a Paulaner Munchen stein because it was suppose to be a gusher, it was not, beer is amber with a big head that falls quickly, hazy, head doesn't leave lacing and the carbonation is high.

The brett character in the nose is higher in this beer than in the other beers. Some fruit in the nose, a mild acetic note and some lactic in the nose.

Very dry, very oak and funky in the finish. The Brett b in the finish is super strong, it's mildly sweet with some fruit in the front, mild strawberry flavor. Overall decent but really strong. (545 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Late 2010 batch. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

This one was a bit of a gusher. Chilled in the freezer for 15 minutes or so after being in the fridge. Still popped pretty good and spewed foam forth from the bottle for a few minutes. A decanter was the way to go for this. Poured a slightly-reddened light copper color with a very thin head and not much afterward. Probably had quite a bit to do with the aforementioned gushing. The nose is pretty interesting with some mild funk as well as lactic and a slight acetic character. Mild strawberry in the background as well.

The taste is also a bit mild with some fruity funk. Sourness is at a pretty low level, and the difference between this and the Peach was quite striking. Mouthfeel was light with might hints of wild character; nothing too exciting. Out of all of them, i think this is the one I'd most prefer to age as it's not drinking all that great right now and could really use some time for the wild character to develop. (981 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this a couple of times, but reviewing from a bottle pour at FoBAB because that is the one that did not explode all over the place (at least in my presence).

A - Reddish copper colored beer with a little bit of an off-white head that faded to mere bubbles pretty quickly.

S - Somewhat tart strawberries, very sweet, little bit of funk. Reminds me kind of dirty strawberry preserves, although it's not necessarily bad.

T - Out of all the Upland lambics I've had, this is probably my least favorite one. Fruity strawberries, little bit of funk, fairly sweet, not particularly sour. It's not bad tasting, but it's kind of boring.

M - Lighter bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Not bad, but not one I'd probably drink again and would be hesitant to purchase on their next release, although the Upland lambics do seem to get better every batch. As far as strawberry beers go, probably one of the better ones.33 (912 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to Dan (mdfb79) for this one.

Really hazy orange with sediment at the bottom. Nice small head retention. Was hoping for a little more pink or reddish color, doesn't look strawberry to me.

Smell is a great funky barnyard aroma ala cantillon but not quite as powerful or refined. Bright fruit, lighter wheat notes. No strawberry?

Taste has a little strawberry seed but I have to really try to get it. Bright fruit, small tart funk (not very sour). Vinegary bitter back and some buttery tastes too. Most of us thought maybe a little diacytl got in there.

Nice mouthfeel and spritzy carbonation. Pretty smooth, solid but not amazing lambic. (651 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a tulip. The color is slightly hazy and golden. There is a small white head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a musty fruity aroma. It is a little bit of an odd aroma, only hinting vaguely at the sweetness.

The taste is very sour up front. The taste appropriately resembles a very under-ripe strawberry. There is a bit of sweetness in the finish.

The body is medium with an average amount of carbonation.

I like his, but it takes some getting used to. The sourness is heavy up front. (501 characters)

Strawberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company