Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottled 9/23/10. Served in a flute while failing at Oscar prognostication.

A - Wow, this one was a ridiculous gusher. Took about three glasses to catch all the foam. Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin ring and not much else. Murky orange body with tons of visible fast-moving bubbles.

S - Wow, this is super funky, with a hefty dose of slightly rotten strawberry flavor. Musky, sweaty, with perhaps a hint of diaper and sulfur.

T - Taste isn't quite as good, with more lactic acidity, wet oak, and carbonic acid. Not as much strawberry presence as in the aroma - more of the base 'lambic'.

M - Moderate carbonation, even after all those bubbles erupted from the bottle. Medium body, super dry and oaky, with lots of residual candy texture.

D - This is pretty solid, but it's one of my least favorite Upland lambics along with Blueberry. and Peach There's more strawberry than I was expecting based on some of the other reviews but it kinds of lacks in complexity. (979 characters)

Reviewed from notes 11-22-11

P: 750 ml c&c bottle into a snifter.

A: SRM is harvest/straw yellow. Semi-translucent, bubbly, hazy. Head is off white, 1 in, dissipates to the outsides of the top of the beer. Medium/heavy carbonation. Heavy lacing.

S: Classic lambic flavor. Pronounced tartness with very full natural strawberry flavor. Very balanced. Aftertaste is tart and light strawberry.

M: Medium body. Initial feel is very tart, but this is nicely smoothed out by the strawberry finish. Semi-wet finish.

O: Excellent lambic. I am continually impressed by Upland's lambic series. The sour/tartness of this beer is very well balanced by the presence of strawberry. I will buy these whenever possible. (707 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GUSHER!!! After it can be controlled, pours a hazy pinkish orange with no head. Aroma is gross, funk and medicinal/acetone notes. I'm glad I got past the aroma because the taste is pretty good! Funk and strawberries, tart but not crazy. Pretty smooth, not bad but nothing too exciting (284 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottled 9/23/10. Split with a friend; imbibed on 7/30/11 to celebrate my daughter's 1-yr birthday.

The bottle was a gusher all the way, triple rainbow-style. Thankfully I was forewarned and opened over the sink. Poured my allotment into an Allagash chalice. Nice hue to this beer, and a nice bubbly head rests atop. The nose is tart and fruity, curling my nasal passage a bit. The mouth is popping and full of zip. Big tongue-twisting lactic tartness greets me straight away. Wow. Funk's in the house. The sourness of this beer trumps everything else, but there's a dry hay-like character to it, and the mildest of fruit fights through for recognition.

This beer was what I expected when I traded for it, but it's not something I'm a huge fan of. I liked the Blueberry version from these guys better, but this one may be closer to what the boys at Upland were going for. Glad I tried it, but even more glad I split it. (922 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%

A big thanks to forgetfu for this hookup! 750mL cork and cage bottle. Bottled 9.23.10, Batch 42-09.

Pop! with some immediate over-flowing!!! Wow, that's lively! Once it settles down it's a hazy/cloudy golden hue with bleach-white head that crashes quickly. (Loses points for over-flowing.) Nose is of lovely sour/wild strawberries, a nice toasty or nutty note, and a suggestion of forest floor (yes, a poetic beer).

Palate is directly sharp with acid, turning sour on the midpalate and then lush on the finish. Flavors of under-ripe strawberries or maybe wild strawberries mingle with the green, leafy tops. Something earthy, but still bright about this beer, almost sandy maybe? Long, fruit-roll-up-like finish.

Notes: Despite this beers amazing ability to capture the strawberry in all of its glory including the green top, it's a tad-bit one dimensional. The over-flowing was a bit annoying too. But so goes experimentation and I wish them the best of luck and will gladly buy this if I ever see it for sale! (1,014 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a tulip and shared by Andrewinski1. Thanks homey! Huge gusher here. Pours a reddish orange aroma with a huge head that dissapears right away.

I get lots of strawberry in the aroma but it almost smells a bit artificial. Pretty sour in the aroma but there seems to be a bit of must. Tart strawberries on the pallet with a little bit of sweetness. Seems a bit more straightforward than the aroma.

The feel is light but the carbonation is just a bit sharp. Overall, not bad here. The aroma could use some work. (521 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a tulip. The color is slightly hazy and golden. There is a small white head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a musty fruity aroma. It is a little bit of an odd aroma, only hinting vaguely at the sweetness.

The taste is very sour up front. The taste appropriately resembles a very under-ripe strawberry. There is a bit of sweetness in the finish.

The body is medium with an average amount of carbonation.

I like his, but it takes some getting used to. The sourness is heavy up front. (501 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%

9/23/10 dated 750ml bottle poured into 2 tulips, a snifter, a large bowl, and a measuring cup(cork broke in half too). I was prepared for this task! I let it sit upright for about 3 weeks at room temp, then into the fridge for 3 hours, followed by the freezer for about an hour to minimize explosiveness.

A: Once the gross foam dissipated, leaving the brownish-orange yeast and cork chunks all over the sides of the glass, this started looking pretty good. The color is a bright hazy orange with more foam than you could ever ask for.

S: Smells very funky. Brett, old wet barrels, strawberry, citrus. Just lots of oddball barnyard & bacteria scents.

T: Again this lambic errs on the side of funk. The flavor is nicely tart though, which increases at is warms. The skins and juice of strawberry are slightly noticeable but only barely recognizable almost a year after bottling. Good amounts of brett, hay, juicy citrus, wet wood, bugs, etc. The citrus presence is very nice in this, it almost seems like there is some other fruits in this(noticeable ones). This is lightly acidic-not one to rip your enamel off.

M: The carbonation is very zesty in the mouth, just as expected- much like alka-seltzer. Moderate body. Not really puckering or acidic to the point of hurting your teeth.

O: I'm glad I got to try this fella after looking at it so many times before. This doesn't really seem in the same league as the established Belgian lambic blenders, but for an American effort, this is nice work. It was almost a 3 person job to pop the cork and pour this but in the end, its worth it. I don't feel they cut any corners in making this beer, I just wish the fruit were a little more prominent.

Thanks Baron (1,710 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this a couple of times, but reviewing from a bottle pour at FoBAB because that is the one that did not explode all over the place (at least in my presence).

A - Reddish copper colored beer with a little bit of an off-white head that faded to mere bubbles pretty quickly.

S - Somewhat tart strawberries, very sweet, little bit of funk. Reminds me kind of dirty strawberry preserves, although it's not necessarily bad.

T - Out of all the Upland lambics I've had, this is probably my least favorite one. Fruity strawberries, little bit of funk, fairly sweet, not particularly sour. It's not bad tasting, but it's kind of boring.

M - Lighter bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Not bad, but not one I'd probably drink again and would be hesitant to purchase on their next release, although the Upland lambics do seem to get better every batch. As far as strawberry beers go, probably one of the better ones.33 (912 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Bottled on 09/23/10. Batch 42-09. Thanks Kyle for picking this up!

(A)- Slow gusher. Pours a cloudy golden orange/pink color. Produced a nice effervescent white head that dissipated quickly to bubbles.

(S)- A really nice dry oaky lactic strawberry fruit acidity. Some barnyard funk in there. Not a ton of fruit, but it is still there. Very nice lactic bits.

(T)- Woah, this. . is. . sour. A large puckered lactic acidity up front on this. Very subtle tart strawberry fruit. Lots of dry oaky funk on the finish as it warms.

(M)- A nice carbonation level. Very sour and acidic, though that actually starts to subside as it warms. Fruit has mostly fallen off, but the oak sure shines through now.

(D)- Definitely the most sour of the Uplands I have had so far. Fruit has been quick to disappear, but this sure has already matured into a rather nice sour/oaky example. (928 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

750ml bottle purchase at release. Split with the fiancé.

A - Huge gusher! Literally spray my sink for a coupe of minutes before chilling out. Pours a pinkish light red color, white frothy head, lots of lace and retention.

S - Light sweet fruit, light sour/tart, kinda muted. Not a whole lot going on.

T - Light tartness, light strawberry, some lacto, slight brett. Really though, just "okay" and muted in many aspects.

M - Light, frothy carbonation, dry finish.

O - Not my favorite of the various lambics. Really muted and not the best I've had from Upland. The explosion of this one was disappointing as well. Slightly above average. (640 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle. Took the cork off and this foamed up quite a bit, glad I was over the sink and had a glass ready to capture this eruption. Poured into a tulip glass a cloudy, hazed orange amber color with a big fluffy off white head that quickly settles. Muted fruit notes but has some brett floral type notes. I would say the strawberry aroma is mild at best. Light mouthfeel. Light strawberry flavor as well with lemon, wheat, and florals. I was looking for and hoping for this to be a little more strawberry forward but that’s not what you really get. The wood barrel treatment imparts so earthiness notes as well. Mildly sour overall but not overpowering. (653 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle shared by the lovely whiterascal into a tulip. Been wanting to try an Upland lambic for a while, so this is a special treat.

Upland makes eight styles of fruited sour ale, and this here’s the strawberry, hopped with 3 year old Hallertauer and aged in white oak casks for over a year until the brewery decides it’s time to toss in whole strawberries from Huber's Orchard in Starlight, Indiana. The beer then ages several more months in the barrel before it’s bottled.

Gusher! Tons of foam escapes, but we do our best to salvage what we can and pour it into our glasses. The liquid we salvage is a milky pineapple yellow, filled with creamy yeast (gushing will do that). An off-white head sits atop the brew for a few seconds and fizzles away after that, leaving behind a simple thin ring.

Super funky nose imparts hay and horse blanket aromas. Light hints of sweet strawberry and wheat bread. Subtly tart, but balanced by a soft, fruity sweetness.

The flavor is similar: very, very funky, with added hints of fusel alcohol, maybe like WD40. It’s crazy tart, with similar funky hay notes and only a bit of strawberry. For a beer billing itself as a strawberry lambic, there isn’t much of the fruit here.

The carbonation seems to have been lost in the eruption — this is pretty flat. The body, however, is a silky medium that’s quite nice.

Overall: funky! A tasty lambic that would be improved if the brewers stepped up the strawberry involvement. (1,490 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle shared at Hill Farmstead. Very fruity aroma, strawberries are very present with a nice little funky touch. Fruity sourness nicely balanced with oak and lactic notes. Could have leaned more towards the fruit. Light mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Very good beer, I wish I could try more of their offerings in the future. (329 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Blind Beer #3 from Khazadum, with the text: "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band would approve."

Just to start with: Fuck this beer. I haven't even gotten it into my glass (but it got everywhere else) and I already hate it. For starters, the cage holding the cork on is incredibly thin, yet tightly wound, so I cut my thumbs and forefingers up just trying to open it. Then, after I popped it, a steady geyser of foam exploded to greet my face, stove, kitchen floor, and counter, before I nearly threw it into the sink. About 8 minutes and half the bottle later, the creep of foam finally stopped.

Glassware recommendations say flute, snifter, or tulip. After smelling my hands and kitchen and having a good 10 minutes to think on it, I decide that this smells Belgian and go for a Cantillon wine glass.

A - A careful pour to avoid another eruption ends with the glass full of a murky, light orange liquid, almost completely opaque. A 1-finger, eggshell white head lays precariously on top, with moderate retention. A nice ring of foam sticks around for what seems like forever, which is how long this beer gushed for. It looks like it will lace a little, but it tricks me and it trickles down. Like it tricked me in thinking I'd be getting a full bottle of beer. Bastard. (3/5)

S - After my first smell of this beer (which came from wiping it off of my hand, not smelling it in the glass) led me to believe this is a lambic. It's pretty sour smelling and a little musty, with a good amount of barnyard funk in here. Getting a variety of fruits in here from green apple to peaches and oranges or tangerines. I'm also getting some wood or cork as well, coming across as damp cardboard or packing peanuts. Dank and musty like a long-forgotten cellar. (3.5/5)

T - Following in the vein of the nose, this is nice and tart, with a good amount of Brett and Lacto in here. Again, the cornucopia of fruits continues, but now it's more focused on the citrus. The tanginess and tartness is throwing me a little, but I'm thinking it's more tangerine here. (4/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. I was expecting this to be overly carbonated due to the gushing, but it actually feels pretty good on the mouth here. Almost a completely bone-dry finish leaves the palate feeling clean. The combination of all these factors makes it quite pleasant to drink. (4/5)

D/O - As I drink this beer, it starts to win me over. The boisterous entrance likens it to a dear friend who lets himself go at parties; it's not pretty and you want to distance yourself from him, but when he's calm and sober, he's good to have around. This is nice and easy to drink, and thankfully I still have half a bottle to drink after this glass... oh wait. (4/5)

I'm sticking with my lambic prediction here and based on the rather unconventional flavors here, I'm thinking its a U.S. brewery. I want to say either Upland Peach Lambic or Persimmon Lambic, and the big citrus I'm getting is making me go with Persimmon.

The reveal: Upland Strawberry Lambic. No shit. After drinking more after the reveal I guess I can strain to find some strawberry, but I'm still hard-pressed to find it. Still a good beer in any case! (3,206 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

When I was little, toys were kind of a big deal. For boys it was Transformers and GI Joe. For the ladies, it was My Little Pony, Pound Puppies and...Strawberry Shortcake. I remember visiting a girl's house and the smell, that awful, rancid plastic horrific stench. Like strawberries, but served in hell. I love strawberries. I like em fresh. I like em frozen. I like em candied on cakes, and I love em fresh. It takes a lot to turn me against one of my favorite fruits. The only fruit with seeds on the OUTSIDE. This lambic has, at least temporarily, soured my relations with this noble fruit.

It smells sharply sour and tastes like melted Strawberry Shortcake dolls. I do not like this beer very much. At least the aftertaste. And the beforetaste. And the burps that follow.

I actually really enjoyed the much maligned Upland Peach. This one is on my naughty list. (869 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a Paulaner Munchen stein because it was suppose to be a gusher, it was not, beer is amber with a big head that falls quickly, hazy, head doesn't leave lacing and the carbonation is high.

The brett character in the nose is higher in this beer than in the other beers. Some fruit in the nose, a mild acetic note and some lactic in the nose.

Very dry, very oak and funky in the finish. The Brett b in the finish is super strong, it's mildly sweet with some fruit in the front, mild strawberry flavor. Overall decent but really strong. (545 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

LEt me start this review out by saying i opened this corked bottle over the sink and after a stream of liquid and bubble sprang from the bottle and into the sink i was left with 3/4 of a glass! Only 10oz pour ive ever paid 20$ for LOL

A- Pours a hazy redish color. Kinda like the inside of a grapefruit, No head as it all went down the drain

S-Smells of strong vinegar and lemon, not getting much starwberry flavor

T-HAs a sour vinegar taste. Not pleasant at the beginning but gets alittle better as you drink on

M-Medium body with GREAT carbonation

D-Overall im ok that more than half of this went down the drain, as it wasn't very tasteful and really funky tasteing. Im excited to try more, better flavors from Upland as i know other will be better. but the strawberry was dissapointing (793 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle opened over the sink - fired two feet into the air. Pours big bubbles into a orangey-pink color with a large head. Smells funky, lactic and a touch medicinal. Not really much of any strawberry in the nose. The taste is funky and sour, but not overly so with just a hint of a strawberry presence. Not really as much as I would like. Moves it way down somewhat easily for a sour. Kind of a let down, but not bad. Mouthfeel is really hugely carbonated as the first sentence elludes to. (489 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to Rempo for this.

3.5 A: Opaque dark orange color with a touch of brown in there. Two fingers of frothy white head that has below average retention and no lacing.

4.0 S: There's no doubt about which variety this is. The nose is jam packed with strawberry. Tart with hints of lactic acid tanginess, but not really sour. Some funky barnyard notes.

4.0 T: More funkiness than sourness, the brett seems to be the biggest contributor to this. The strawberry isn't as intense as in the nose, but still considerable. Horse blanket, tangy peachy lactic acid, oak, and some tannic astringency.

3.5 M: Medium body. Carbonation is spritzy and there's a bit too much of it. Not very creamy, but quite smooth.

4.0 D: This is pretty tame right now, but it has a good aroma and taste to it. I wish I waited six months longer to open this. I think this will be a much better beer then. In any case, it scratched the sour itch that I caught tonight. (971 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

750-ml of Upland Strawberry Lambic bottled on 9-23-10. This is apparently batch 42-09.

I refrigerated my bottle overnight and then put it in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before opening the bottle at my kitchen sink. Strawberry Lambic still foamed out of the bottle, but I had a picher on hand. Decanted the beer and then poured it agressively into another pitcher. The head dies fairly quickly this time around so I think the beer is ready...poured into a New Belgium tulip and allowed to warm for a moment.

A: Hazy, deep gold with yeast and tiny strawberry bits in suspension. A very thin head rests atop the beer.

S: Brettanomyces commands the nose: smells like musty hay in a barnyard in rural Indiana. It must be late spring because I also detect unripe/tart fruit in the background.

T: Taste follows smell, but additional elements are present, including aspirin, a bit of oak, a more pronounced sourness, probably fueled by lactobacillus, and a subtle fruitiness. The interplay of funk and sour is wonderful. This beer is well attenuated and has a profoundly long, barnyardy finish. At the tail end of the finish, strawberries make a surprise appearance. Reminds me of strawberry-rhubarb pie.

M: After knocking out the excess carbonation, this feels medium bodied and drying. Appropriately light carbonation.

D: Complicated yet refeshing. Not overly sour and has a low abv. This lambic scores handsomely for drinkability. (1,442 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

My first Upland sour! Thanks Mike!

Pours a hazy cedar with shades of orange. Thin beige head.

Nose has sour citrus fruits, oak, barnyard funk, sweet candy malts and oak. Very nice.

Taste is a nice balance of strawberry, tart fruits and woody funk. Would have liked a little more sourness, but still a nice beer.

Clean body drink well, but a bit thin in the finish. (369 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

This gal is a squirter.
Popped open and fizzed up with a splurging, bubbling, sprawling white foam.

Got this from Backfat and shared it with Oreo, DrewBa, and the soon-to-be-a-first-time-dad: khazadhum!

The beer is peach colored. Slight rose hint. Big white head. No lacing... Strong retention.

The beer is a bit overcarbonated, but it isn't bad.

As far as strawberry... If I wasn't TOLD this was strawberry, I wouldn't know. The strawberry can be easily overlooked. Some nice lactic notes are sour and tart. Little sweetness up front. This beer needs more fruit. The funkiness is nice.

This beer is ok. It is tasty and easy drinking. Is this worth the pricetag? Probably not. Was it fun to try? Yeah. (706 characters)

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Cloudy straw yellow color with lots of foamy head, but very little lacing.

Aroma is VERY funky with lots of barnyard smells. Flavor is more appealing but subdued - strawberry and other tart lambic flavors are all somewhat muted.

Mouthfeel is nice - smooth and not overly sour, this is a very drinkable beer.

Definitely worth trying - I do wonder how this one might develop over the years... (393 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Cracked open with friends during poker night. First time having the Upland Lambics. Luckily mine didn't overflow, so got to enjoy the entire bottle.

A- Pours nice hazy orange/golden color. Big frothy white head on it. Leaves rather quickly and down to a nice thin head.

S- Tart aroma coming from it. Mostly funky smell, not much strawberry aroma. Do get a hint of wood note from oak aging.

T- Starts out with the funky, brett taste. Tartness throughout. Very mild strawberry flavor until the end. Thought there would be a little more fruit flavor to it. Some oak flavor thrown in as well. Funk lingers with you in the aftertaste.

M- Lighter body. Moderate carbonation. Tartness has a crisp finish.

D- Good first lambic. Tasted more along the lines as a wild ale though. Would have hoped for a bit more strawberry flavor, but still very good. Can't wait to get some more of their lambics. (894 characters)

Strawberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company