Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007

Ratings: 354 | Reviews: 114
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

My first Upland sour! Thanks Mike!

Pours a hazy cedar with shades of orange. Thin beige head.

Nose has sour citrus fruits, oak, barnyard funk, sweet candy malts and oak. Very nice.

Taste is a nice balance of strawberry, tart fruits and woody funk. Would have liked a little more sourness, but still a nice beer.

Clean body drink well, but a bit thin in the finish.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

This gal is a squirter.
Popped open and fizzed up with a splurging, bubbling, sprawling white foam.

Got this from Backfat and shared it with Oreo, DrewBa, and the soon-to-be-a-first-time-dad: khazadhum!

The beer is peach colored. Slight rose hint. Big white head. No lacing... Strong retention.

The beer is a bit overcarbonated, but it isn't bad.

As far as strawberry... If I wasn't TOLD this was strawberry, I wouldn't know. The strawberry can be easily overlooked. Some nice lactic notes are sour and tart. Little sweetness up front. This beer needs more fruit. The funkiness is nice.

This beer is ok. It is tasty and easy drinking. Is this worth the pricetag? Probably not. Was it fun to try? Yeah.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Cloudy straw yellow color with lots of foamy head, but very little lacing.

Aroma is VERY funky with lots of barnyard smells. Flavor is more appealing but subdued - strawberry and other tart lambic flavors are all somewhat muted.

Mouthfeel is nice - smooth and not overly sour, this is a very drinkable beer.

Definitely worth trying - I do wonder how this one might develop over the years...

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Cracked open with friends during poker night. First time having the Upland Lambics. Luckily mine didn't overflow, so got to enjoy the entire bottle.

A- Pours nice hazy orange/golden color. Big frothy white head on it. Leaves rather quickly and down to a nice thin head.

S- Tart aroma coming from it. Mostly funky smell, not much strawberry aroma. Do get a hint of wood note from oak aging.

T- Starts out with the funky, brett taste. Tartness throughout. Very mild strawberry flavor until the end. Thought there would be a little more fruit flavor to it. Some oak flavor thrown in as well. Funk lingers with you in the aftertaste.

M- Lighter body. Moderate carbonation. Tartness has a crisp finish.

D- Good first lambic. Tasted more along the lines as a wild ale though. Would have hoped for a bit more strawberry flavor, but still very good. Can't wait to get some more of their lambics.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Lost a quarter of the bottle to over carb.

A - pours a strawberry straw color with a foamy head that wilted quickly.

S - Brett, Nail polish, hint of strawberry, some fusel alcohol and an off funk smell.

T - Bandaide brett, with some mild strawberry flavors. Really not much going on. Some what disapointing.

M - Medium bodied.

D - Easy drinking

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

From 01/21/11 notes. Brought to a small tasting.

a - Pours a murky golden orange color with an inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of strawberry, funk, oak, tart fruit, and acidic.

t - Tastes of oak, funk, tart strawberry, and sour, fruity malts.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation.

d - A very nice lambic; I enjoyed this one a lot. Would like to have again.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Dan (mdfb79) for this one.

Really hazy orange with sediment at the bottom. Nice small head retention. Was hoping for a little more pink or reddish color, doesn't look strawberry to me.

Smell is a great funky barnyard aroma ala cantillon but not quite as powerful or refined. Bright fruit, lighter wheat notes. No strawberry?

Taste has a little strawberry seed but I have to really try to get it. Bright fruit, small tart funk (not very sour). Vinegary bitter back and some buttery tastes too. Most of us thought maybe a little diacytl got in there.

Nice mouthfeel and spritzy carbonation. Pretty smooth, solid but not amazing lambic.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks for sharing the bottle Dave!

Huge gusher. Probably lost about a third of the bottle or more. The appearance is a cloudy, tangerine-orange, with a thin white head filled with yeast specks. The gushing definitely didn't help the look of this beer.

Lactic sourness with some brett funk rises up from the glass. Some fruitiness, but hard to describe. Strawberries I guess. A touch of hay and grass as well. White grapes.

Mmm... strawberries. The fruit comes through nicely in the taste. Good sourness with sweet malts and white wine. Hay with a touch of earthiness. A little bit of the oak barrel comes through as well.

Mouthfeel is rustic with some chewiness. Nice level of sourness for a "young" beer. Good feel.

This is quite drinkable. The nose didn't do a whole lot for me, but the taste was good and the strawberries came through nicely. This is my first Upland lambic and I'm impressed enough to hope a few more come my way. Not quite Cantillon, but a good start.

4.09/5  rDev +1%

HUGE thanks to pittsburghkid66 for throwing this in as an extra a while back. He knew how badly I wanted this.

Bottle from '09, if not earlier. Corked and capped.

Pours a peachy, golden juicy looking hue. Small, fizzy off-white head disappears very quickly, until not a trace remains.

Smell is quite intense. Strawberries and strong funky acidic qualities inform me of what I'm in for. This one's wild, baby.

Taste is quite reminiscent of the aroma. Instant tartness, funky, SOME strawberry, but not a whole lot. Some light vinegar. Lingering sourness on the back of the tongue and throat. Almost wish I could have had this fresher, assuming the strawberry presence was more lively when youger. Still, very tasty, just not quite what I expected.

Pretty tingly on the tongue, but not too aggressive. Definitely more carbonated that the appearance would suggest. I see no movement when looking at it, yet it's bubbly stuff when consumed.

Pretty drinkable, considering it's tartness. Time will tell as I work my way through the 750ml bottle on my own.

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to BA Verecund for this one. Poured from a capped and corked bottle into a Darkness sniffer. Shared with schen9303.

A: Pours a frothy ring of white that dissapates down to a layer of bubbles hugging the side of the glass. Beer is a semi cloudy bright orange. Lacing is not existent.

S: Nose is moderately aromatic. Oaky presence with a slight layer of Brett and strawberry tartness in the back. Twinge of booze. Tartness is rather sharp overall but pleasant.

T: Opens slightly Bretty. Cobwebs and bandaid. Oaky presence right after the initial funk with a strawberry tartness that settles in towards the middle. Dries out a bit towards the end with a Brett and heavy fruit finish. Aftertaste is more of the same. Very simple overall but spot on in terms of style and flavor emphasis.

M: Light to medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with a slight presence of bubbles. Tart, puckering, and mildly dry going down with a crisp finish and a slightly lingering aftertaste. Very appropriate and refreshing.

D: This one is almost on par with Upland's Raspberry Lambic which has been one of my favorites. Not really a tradition lambic but more of an AWA and a very good one at that. Simple overall but very enjoyable. Worth seeking out!

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

Batch 42-09. (Batch 04, 2nd release, 2009). Opened on 01.20.2011.

Pours a hazy orange-red, scarlet with a half finger head that almost fully recedes. Thin in body, almost no lacing.

At first, I get a good bit of artificial strawberry syrup, some minor, indiscernible funkiness, and lactic sourness. A touch of citrus. On further pours, there's a sulfuric egginess with a lot of band-aid meets strawberry. It's odd and doesn't really come together for me.

Not a ton of complexity in this one: band-aids, artificial strawberry, lactic acidity, and a lactic, yogurt tanginess on the finish. Maybe strawberries shouldn't be used in [so-called] lambics. There is a nice tangy and sour finish. Funk is almost absent.

Medium, medium-thin bodied and effervescent. Lots of people experienced gushers with this one - I didn't, but the carbonation is high.

Mediocre drinkability. Too much lightly sulfuric and phenolic character, but the finish leaves me wanting more. Greater than the sum of its parts.

1.73/5  rDev -57.3%

I haven't reviewed in years but feel it is my duty to warn fellow BAs about this beer. I also need to mention that I have had previous vintages that were superb, to say the 2010 vintage was a letdown is an understatement.

2010 vintage. 750 ml bottle. Batch 42-09.

First off, I lost half the bottle to my sink, gushed a good 3 inches out of the bottle. 2 things come to mind, infection or the bits of fruit creating nucleation points. Color is nice, slight pinkish hue.

Smells like someone bottled farts. Strawberries are a distant second.

If farts can be tasted, that's what I got out of it. Sour acidity, some fruit.

Body is watery, thin. Disappointed.

Drinkability suffers because of the smell/taste.

This used to be one of my favorite upland lambics. I will probably be scorned for this review, accused of not recognizing funk or "barnyard" aroma. Trust me, this can not have been the desired result. It tastes like a poorly executed sour homebrew. If this was the desired result upland, please never release this again. Thanks.

Edit, a friend said that I was a bit harsh, that perhaps I got a bad bottle. I hope I did. If I ever have this again and its not as bad, I will edit my review.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

poured into a tulip

A.

Pour is a hazy orange color. About 1 fingers worth of fizzy offwhite head. Luckily this one didn't shoot out like my previous one.

S.

smell is a very standard lambic aroma. A wild funky aroma, and a SLIGHT fruity presence. You can faintly get strawberries, but they're definitely young and not ripe strawberries. Mainly sour/funk dominant in this category. A little disappointing after having the others.

T.

Same as nose. Not really "wowing" me. Slight sour and acidic, vinegary notes, a little sweet fruit but you have to really concentrate hard to tell what kind of fruit it is. This is my least favorite out of the 4 that just came out.

M.

light bodied, lots of carbonation. Love the mouthfeel in this, as with most lambics. Slightly dry finish...this goes together well with a little goat cheese.

D.

Not that high here. This is definitely not worth the 20 dollars spent on this bottle. Relatively hard to get, plus the fact it's my least favorite of the others....I can still easily polish off a bottle by myself but will definitely seek out the other flavors.

3.76/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml caged and corked bottle picked up at the brewer by w113raf in a trade. Many thanks man!
Also, this is review #100!

A- Pours a hazy, glowing orange with a big fizzy white head on pour. Scattered lacing, good retention. Lots of carbonation.
S- Aromas of overripe strawberries, lots of hay/barnyard funk. A little too much barnyard though...
T- Interesting. Strawberries, earth, acidic sourness. Some off flavors in the finish though.
M - Light body, crisp, tart. Tangy and effervescent on the tongue.
D - A bit funky (pardon the pun) at first, but it grew on me after a while. I'm glad I have a second bottle to sit on for a while and see how/if it improves, but had no issues finishing my bottle.

Overall - Not sure what to think about this. On one hand I enjoy the sour nature of it but there's something that just doesn't mesh in the aftertaste. The strawberry flavor tastes almost overripe and artificial. It's not bad, but maybe needs more time in the cellar.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Late 2010 batch. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

This one was a bit of a gusher. Chilled in the freezer for 15 minutes or so after being in the fridge. Still popped pretty good and spewed foam forth from the bottle for a few minutes. A decanter was the way to go for this. Poured a slightly-reddened light copper color with a very thin head and not much afterward. Probably had quite a bit to do with the aforementioned gushing. The nose is pretty interesting with some mild funk as well as lactic and a slight acetic character. Mild strawberry in the background as well.

The taste is also a bit mild with some fruity funk. Sourness is at a pretty low level, and the difference between this and the Peach was quite striking. Mouthfeel was light with might hints of wild character; nothing too exciting. Out of all of them, i think this is the one I'd most prefer to age as it's not drinking all that great right now and could really use some time for the wild character to develop.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer gushed, popped like champagne. The strangest thing was that ALL of the sediment poured out onto the counter instead of staying with the beer, at the bottom. It did unfortunately get all over my pants. I made sure to cover the bottle until it settled itself (just like the '09 Juliet). It eventually poured a murky, dark orange in color with a one finger head that laced the glass. It smells of both sweet and tart strawberries. I like it and I'm almost impressed that it doesn't drink like I've heard it to. Perhaps, like the peach that I know was different from bottle to bottle, that this drinks like a solid independent sour. It's actually pretty good. It has ALOT of barnyard funk and a good amount of both sweet and sour strawberry. I'm surprised I like it so much. So did the puppy, who licked it off the floor. This drinks rather dry and tart, appealingly so. It is rather acidic but it's good in the manner it presents itself. Good beer. If only there were more than 450 bottles of it. It is overly carbonated but Upland did email us about this. I like it. It doesn't deserve the negative rep that I've heard so far. Save it and try it! If you can.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

750ml bottle received in trade with mistakebythelake. Thanks! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Bottle opened as a gusher that sprayed across my kitchen counter...approximately half of the bottle was rescued through some quick pouring action...pours a cloudy and yeasted filled pale golden orange color. A thin white head forms and leaves behind lots of foamy lacing over the surface of the glass.

S - This is as barnyardy a beer as I've ever encountered. Horse manure aromas are over the top...feel like I was deposited in a barn. Super funky and very pungent...feel like I'm about to pass out from the aroma. Underneath the funk, there is a sweetness and tart strawberries and some wet hay - all of these are secondary to the funk.

T - Tart, very funky, mild fruity strawberry flavors...lots of lactice sourness.

M - Thin, tart and puckering with a a very high carbonation level.

D - Taste is way better than the aroma (too much funk - never thought I'd be able to say that!). I could easily have more of this. Too bad the bottle was such a gusher - a little disappointing

3.39/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Split this 750ml caged and corked bottle with Lukafer. This thing put out a 12 foot gushing fountain once it was opened. Thanks a lot Upland!

A- Pours a hazy dirty orange color. No head on this bad boy. No lacing at all on the sides of the glass. Looks pretty lifeless to me after it shot out like a fountain. Buzzkill!

S- This one was very vinegary smelling in the front of the aroma. I mean it actually tingled my nose! There was a faint hint of strawberry when my nose was stuck to the glass. I let the glass get away from my nose and this strawberry seemed to get stronger but not by much. More of a fresh strawberry aroma and not so much processed. There was some light bready malt in the very back but this got covered quickly by that damn vinegar like aroma which just started to get annoying after a little while and I'm one who really likes lambics!

T- Very acidic vinegar taste in the front of this with a hint of musty strawberry. The middle of this has the vinegar sourness die down and lets the strawberry come out a little more along with some more of the bready malt backbone. This is starting to taste nicer until the vinegar comes through one last time blanketing the strawberry almost completely. The ending on this beer has a little sugary like sweetness that I found not really out of place but it didn't quite fit fully.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was lacking as a whole with this beer. There was a vinegar like flavor with hints of strawberry left on the palate. Aftertaste is medium sourness and sugary light strawberry. There is medium drying on the palate. Flavors were blended to the best they could I suppose. Clean might be the most clear word here but no real off flavors that I could tell.

D- This beer was good but like the Peach Lambic was just a vinegar bomb. I didn't mind it but it started to take its toll on my palate mid beer. Upland I think messed up the newest release of this beer and I kind of feel ripped off for the $20 plus tax that this beer cost me to drink.

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%

Drank from the bottle...Pours a cloudy light brown, with decent retention and lacing...The aroma is distincly strawberry, sweet but not generic a little yeast and oak...The taste is mostly oaked strawberries, its still pretty sweet making it drinkable. Not the best of the lambics I've had to date but decent enough to give a shot.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle shared by ahalloin at a recent tasting. Thanks Tony!

This beer appears a hazy shade of yellow, with a little head that fades after a few moments, leaving no lacing. The aroma is just awesome. Delicious strawberry scents amid a great funky, straw, wild yeast smell. The taste follows suit. This is another well-crafted, piquant offering from Upland. The carbonation level is well done, and the overall feel of the beer is really nice. The finish is pleasant, with a lingering tart strawberry aftertaste. I'll be on the lookout for this beer. Highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage (thx northyorksammy!) poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Upland's Strawberry Lambic is a murky auburn with a quickly fizzling white head. Huge pile of dregs on the last pour, even with plenty left in the bottle.

Smell is as advertised, strawberries and lambic. For some reason I didn't think this would smell like a real lambic, but it definitely does, in a good way.

Taste is also strait forward and satisfying fruit lambic. Nice minerality from the sourness without being to barnyard, mostly lacto, enhanced by the natural acidity of the berries, which still retain some fruit flavor.

Mouthfeel is dry, acid coats the teeth, medium light body.

Drinkability is pretty high for lovers of true fruit lambics. An impressive effort by Upland, better then I expected, I really came to appreciate it as I enjoyed my way through the bottle. A shame this is not more widely available, at least here.

4.26/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle, courtesy of Bankhead at the summer Cville beer tasting event.

Appearance: Pours a peachy color, looks pulpy. A bit on the orange side. another glowing beer. no head--looks like a mixed drink. Really great looking for a beer with no head or lacing.

Smell: not too much in the nose here--it's faintly sour, and somewhat one-dimensional. It's nice, but not particularly exciting in the nose....a bit of funk in a friend's glass who got it closer to the bottom of the glass which makes it more dimensional, though less sour. The difference between the two glasses, by the way, is huge.

Taste: Not too sour--enough, with plenty of white vinegar, but it's very diluted and crisp, with a nice strawberry sugar note. The strawberry particularly comes through in the aftertaste....This beer starts out with a light white vinegar and some acidity. In the middle of the sip and aftertaste, it gets a nice and sugary strawberry sweetness....sort of like a super acidic strawberry lemonade. Near the top of the bottle is quite more vinegary and abrasive than the bottom, which is mellow.

Mouthfeel is great. it's got a ton of bubbles but isn't too abrasive. As it sits it loses a bit of the carbonation and I have to bump it down a bit.

Drinkability: highly drinkable, incredibly refreshing, and could imagine drinking this one in the sun on a hot summer day.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

750 mL bottle courtesy of Bankhead, split five ways at the C'ville Throwdown #3 - thanks! Poured in to a tulip. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: I got the dregs on this one, and it's a doozy - thick, yeasty, almost like peach or mango juice, sort of a nice orangey, slightly-pinkishly hued. Maybe ruby red grapefruit juice? Yes, that's it - ruby red grapefruit juice, a nice garnet salmon, absolutely opaque, with no hint of head, surface lacing, side lacing, bubble collar .... anything. The only hint of anything completely faded inside 5 seconds of the pour, a thick, fizzy, bubbling mass of head that disappeared far more quickly than it came (it seems).

Aroma: Very mild on the nose ... until you agitate. Tons of funk, with hints of cat urine and generic light fruit notes - perhaps they're strawberry-esque, but they also hint at peach, mango, unripe pear, and sour apple. A few nice honey-golden, slightly cinnamony bready notes compliment the fruity funky notes well, as do hints of freshly baked bread. Sort of like a strawberry creamsicle at some points.

Taste: Very nice and easy-going. Not terribly flavorful - just sort of a generic honey-golden base beer, with hints of cracker, biscuit, and honey, under a very mild amount of acidity and funk and a slight array of fruityness. It's not terribly funky - only a kiss of barnyard, a kiss (plus) of acidity - and the fruityness is fairly neutral, which I imagine is not a process issue, and is really mostly the result of the use of strawberries, which don't seem like the best fruit to lend to a lambic. That being said, I do definitely get strawberry out of this beer, along with those aforementioned light notes - peach, mainly.

Mouthfeel: Slow, light, still, and thick at the very finish with the addition of that yeast kick - almost like a milkshake. I imagine that's partially the bottom of the bottle (the thickness), but the low amount of carbonation is not unusual for the style, mellow, mild, and drinkable.

Drinkability: Strawberry doesn't seem like it's the best beer to infuse a lambic with - it's almost neutrally fruity, when you're using the actual fruit, and I imagine you have to use a lot of strawberries to actually get an effective "strawberry"-esque note out of the fruit. And, that being said, a lot of these notes weren't strawberry-esque - the yeast (in conjunction with generic fructose, I imagine) contributes lots of other stone fruits. But it was drinkable, low in abv%, and fairly bright and refreshing, even though that's partially the result of a neutral profile. Worth trying, though not a favorite.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Received this one as part of an amazing trade with Bobby91w a long while back. This is the first batch... Shared with the Boise peeps a weekend or so back.

Pours sorta muddy orange with a thin white head.

Nose shows descent brett funk muddled with fresh strawberry essence.... ehhh... pretty good...

Flavor shows some depth.... brett with hints of oak and maybe vanilla ... the strawberry is lite yet adds alot of complexity... more sour than I remember the first bottle I cracked shortly after the trade.... tart... needs more carbonation for the lite/medium body.

This is the 2nd bottle of the Strawberry that I opened over the years and this is significantly better in my mind's palate... yet, there is still quite a bit of room for improvement... but this is a big step in the right direction.

Big Props to Bobby for the trade and his Service.... Stay safe.

3.5/3.5/4/3.5/4

Pours amber-y orange (am I the only one that is always surprised when a red fruit produces a brown/amber/orange colored beer?). Some white foam. THANKS JERZ!

Smells like ... wait for it ... strawberries. Not much oak or tartness to the nose, we'll see what the flavor brings.

Pretty much sweet strawberries, with some prickling tartness and a hint of sourness and oak. No funk that I detected.

BUbbly mouthfeel. Good.