Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007

Ratings: 354 | Reviews: 114
3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Dan (mdfb79) for this one.

Really hazy orange with sediment at the bottom. Nice small head retention. Was hoping for a little more pink or reddish color, doesn't look strawberry to me.

Smell is a great funky barnyard aroma ala cantillon but not quite as powerful or refined. Bright fruit, lighter wheat notes. No strawberry?

Taste has a little strawberry seed but I have to really try to get it. Bright fruit, small tart funk (not very sour). Vinegary bitter back and some buttery tastes too. Most of us thought maybe a little diacytl got in there.

Nice mouthfeel and spritzy carbonation. Pretty smooth, solid but not amazing lambic.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a tulip. The color is slightly hazy and golden. There is a small white head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a musty fruity aroma. It is a little bit of an odd aroma, only hinting vaguely at the sweetness.

The taste is very sour up front. The taste appropriately resembles a very under-ripe strawberry. There is a bit of sweetness in the finish.

The body is medium with an average amount of carbonation.

I like his, but it takes some getting used to. The sourness is heavy up front.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

This gal is a squirter.
Popped open and fizzed up with a splurging, bubbling, sprawling white foam.

Got this from Backfat and shared it with Oreo, DrewBa, and the soon-to-be-a-first-time-dad: khazadhum!

The beer is peach colored. Slight rose hint. Big white head. No lacing... Strong retention.

The beer is a bit overcarbonated, but it isn't bad.

As far as strawberry... If I wasn't TOLD this was strawberry, I wouldn't know. The strawberry can be easily overlooked. Some nice lactic notes are sour and tart. Little sweetness up front. This beer needs more fruit. The funkiness is nice.

This beer is ok. It is tasty and easy drinking. Is this worth the pricetag? Probably not. Was it fun to try? Yeah.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a tulip and shared by Andrewinski1. Thanks homey! Huge gusher here. Pours a reddish orange aroma with a huge head that dissapears right away.

I get lots of strawberry in the aroma but it almost smells a bit artificial. Pretty sour in the aroma but there seems to be a bit of must. Tart strawberries on the pallet with a little bit of sweetness. Seems a bit more straightforward than the aroma.

The feel is light but the carbonation is just a bit sharp. Overall, not bad here. The aroma could use some work.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle. Took the cork off and this foamed up quite a bit, glad I was over the sink and had a glass ready to capture this eruption. Poured into a tulip glass a cloudy, hazed orange amber color with a big fluffy off white head that quickly settles. Muted fruit notes but has some brett floral type notes. I would say the strawberry aroma is mild at best. Light mouthfeel. Light strawberry flavor as well with lemon, wheat, and florals. I was looking for and hoping for this to be a little more strawberry forward but that’s not what you really get. The wood barrel treatment imparts so earthiness notes as well. Mildly sour overall but not overpowering.

3.76/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml caged and corked bottle picked up at the brewer by w113raf in a trade. Many thanks man!
Also, this is review #100!

A- Pours a hazy, glowing orange with a big fizzy white head on pour. Scattered lacing, good retention. Lots of carbonation.
S- Aromas of overripe strawberries, lots of hay/barnyard funk. A little too much barnyard though...
T- Interesting. Strawberries, earth, acidic sourness. Some off flavors in the finish though.
M - Light body, crisp, tart. Tangy and effervescent on the tongue.
D - A bit funky (pardon the pun) at first, but it grew on me after a while. I'm glad I have a second bottle to sit on for a while and see how/if it improves, but had no issues finishing my bottle.

Overall - Not sure what to think about this. On one hand I enjoy the sour nature of it but there's something that just doesn't mesh in the aftertaste. The strawberry flavor tastes almost overripe and artificial. It's not bad, but maybe needs more time in the cellar.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottled 9/23/10. Served in a flute while failing at Oscar prognostication.

A - Wow, this one was a ridiculous gusher. Took about three glasses to catch all the foam. Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin ring and not much else. Murky orange body with tons of visible fast-moving bubbles.

S - Wow, this is super funky, with a hefty dose of slightly rotten strawberry flavor. Musky, sweaty, with perhaps a hint of diaper and sulfur.

T - Taste isn't quite as good, with more lactic acidity, wet oak, and carbonic acid. Not as much strawberry presence as in the aroma - more of the base 'lambic'.

M - Moderate carbonation, even after all those bubbles erupted from the bottle. Medium body, super dry and oaky, with lots of residual candy texture.

D - This is pretty solid, but it's one of my least favorite Upland lambics along with Blueberry. and Peach There's more strawberry than I was expecting based on some of the other reviews but it kinds of lacks in complexity.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

Review from notes; ashamed to say I can't remember exactly when I had this, but thanks to whoever shared it!

A: Cloudy pale orange body with a cap of fine off-white foam. Light lace. Ok.

S: Lactic tartness, citric acidity, grassy funk, and just a hint of strawberry. Nice, but not as fruity as I was expecting.

T: Juicy, fruity sweetness up front, with pineapple and strawberry giving way to sharp citrus sourness. Lingering lactic burn. Pretty good.

M: Soft medium body, almost no carbonation. Not great.

O: Enjoyable, but probably the least impressive of the Upland sours I've had.

Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Jer for sharing this one at the Bruery 2nd Anniversary.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a mild white head and some tiny carbonation bubbles.

S: A bit of sweet, sugary strawberries along with a mild tartness. The nose is somewhat jammy overall.

T: A good fruit component to the beer, though the amount of strawberry could be up for debate. A bit on the sweet side up front with a nice tartness toward the back end.

M: The body is light with a moderate carbonation. The beer actually seems a bit sugary, which is odd for a lambic.

D: An interesting take on a lambic. The fruit seems to have provided some residual sweetness that I really was not expecting.

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%

9/23/10 dated 750ml bottle poured into 2 tulips, a snifter, a large bowl, and a measuring cup(cork broke in half too). I was prepared for this task! I let it sit upright for about 3 weeks at room temp, then into the fridge for 3 hours, followed by the freezer for about an hour to minimize explosiveness.

A: Once the gross foam dissipated, leaving the brownish-orange yeast and cork chunks all over the sides of the glass, this started looking pretty good. The color is a bright hazy orange with more foam than you could ever ask for.

S: Smells very funky. Brett, old wet barrels, strawberry, citrus. Just lots of oddball barnyard & bacteria scents.

T: Again this lambic errs on the side of funk. The flavor is nicely tart though, which increases at is warms. The skins and juice of strawberry are slightly noticeable but only barely recognizable almost a year after bottling. Good amounts of brett, hay, juicy citrus, wet wood, bugs, etc. The citrus presence is very nice in this, it almost seems like there is some other fruits in this(noticeable ones). This is lightly acidic-not one to rip your enamel off.

M: The carbonation is very zesty in the mouth, just as expected- much like alka-seltzer. Moderate body. Not really puckering or acidic to the point of hurting your teeth.

O: I'm glad I got to try this fella after looking at it so many times before. This doesn't really seem in the same league as the established Belgian lambic blenders, but for an American effort, this is nice work. It was almost a 3 person job to pop the cork and pour this but in the end, its worth it. I don't feel they cut any corners in making this beer, I just wish the fruit were a little more prominent.

Thanks Baron

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%

Drank from the bottle...Pours a cloudy light brown, with decent retention and lacing...The aroma is distincly strawberry, sweet but not generic a little yeast and oak...The taste is mostly oaked strawberries, its still pretty sweet making it drinkable. Not the best of the lambics I've had to date but decent enough to give a shot.

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%

A big thanks to forgetfu for this hookup! 750mL cork and cage bottle. Bottled 9.23.10, Batch 42-09.

Pop! with some immediate over-flowing!!! Wow, that's lively! Once it settles down it's a hazy/cloudy golden hue with bleach-white head that crashes quickly. (Loses points for over-flowing.) Nose is of lovely sour/wild strawberries, a nice toasty or nutty note, and a suggestion of forest floor (yes, a poetic beer).

Palate is directly sharp with acid, turning sour on the midpalate and then lush on the finish. Flavors of under-ripe strawberries or maybe wild strawberries mingle with the green, leafy tops. Something earthy, but still bright about this beer, almost sandy maybe? Long, fruit-roll-up-like finish.

Notes: Despite this beers amazing ability to capture the strawberry in all of its glory including the green top, it's a tad-bit one dimensional. The over-flowing was a bit annoying too. But so goes experimentation and I wish them the best of luck and will gladly buy this if I ever see it for sale!

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Received this one as part of an amazing trade with Bobby91w a long while back. This is the first batch... Shared with the Boise peeps a weekend or so back.

Pours sorta muddy orange with a thin white head.

Nose shows descent brett funk muddled with fresh strawberry essence.... ehhh... pretty good...

Flavor shows some depth.... brett with hints of oak and maybe vanilla ... the strawberry is lite yet adds alot of complexity... more sour than I remember the first bottle I cracked shortly after the trade.... tart... needs more carbonation for the lite/medium body.

This is the 2nd bottle of the Strawberry that I opened over the years and this is significantly better in my mind's palate... yet, there is still quite a bit of room for improvement... but this is a big step in the right direction.

Big Props to Bobby for the trade and his Service.... Stay safe.

3.5/3.5/4/3.5/4

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

750 ml bottle acquired in a trade with sprinkle, thanks for the opportunity, 2008 release, poured into my Duvel tulip glass tonight and currently drinking it

A-Color is a hazy golden yellow with some orange and red, good amount of stuff floating around, 3/4 inch slightly creamy head that does not last long at all, small amount of retention and lacing
S-Tartiness, strawberries but not as many I had hoped, little bit of funk, some citrus, other light fruits that were on the verge of being tropical, and mild vinegar
T-Flavor starts off with a sweet fruit taste that is made up of strawberries, and what seems to be lemons and pineapples, middle is pretty soft, but there is some aggressive tart in the finish, aftertaste is somewhat dry but has that nice sour bite sticking around, strawberries come out more and more as it warms in both the aroma and taste, I also taste a large amount of oak later on that lasts a good amount of time on the tongue, great mix of fruits and tartiness make this beer one to remember
M-High level of carbonation that was refreshing, thin to medium body, acidic, tart, and slightly sweet mouthfeel, taste lingered and that is where the strawberries made a difference
D-Drank the whole bottle myself and probably could have had more, ABV seems low and this brew is light on the tummy, not overly tart or dry, quite enjoyable

Huber Orchard produces some good strawberries by the looks of this brew, Upland was lucky enough to use some of their fruit in this lambic, nice tart lambic that will probably improve even more on that end because of bottle conditioning, would like to drink again once it gets some age under its belt, recommended

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

It seemed like a good time to crack this. Nice orange color with a good and healthy funk of a smell, barnyard and urine. Easy flavor with a sugary strawberry finish but not what I would call sweet, funky and tart but not sour. I would love to try a bottle of the base lambic used for these beers or maybe one day an Upland gueuze. The carbonation is a little low but still has a nice feel to it.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Blind Beer #3 from Khazadum, with the text: "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band would approve."

Just to start with: Fuck this beer. I haven't even gotten it into my glass (but it got everywhere else) and I already hate it. For starters, the cage holding the cork on is incredibly thin, yet tightly wound, so I cut my thumbs and forefingers up just trying to open it. Then, after I popped it, a steady geyser of foam exploded to greet my face, stove, kitchen floor, and counter, before I nearly threw it into the sink. About 8 minutes and half the bottle later, the creep of foam finally stopped.

Glassware recommendations say flute, snifter, or tulip. After smelling my hands and kitchen and having a good 10 minutes to think on it, I decide that this smells Belgian and go for a Cantillon wine glass.

A - A careful pour to avoid another eruption ends with the glass full of a murky, light orange liquid, almost completely opaque. A 1-finger, eggshell white head lays precariously on top, with moderate retention. A nice ring of foam sticks around for what seems like forever, which is how long this beer gushed for. It looks like it will lace a little, but it tricks me and it trickles down. Like it tricked me in thinking I'd be getting a full bottle of beer. Bastard. (3/5)

S - After my first smell of this beer (which came from wiping it off of my hand, not smelling it in the glass) led me to believe this is a lambic. It's pretty sour smelling and a little musty, with a good amount of barnyard funk in here. Getting a variety of fruits in here from green apple to peaches and oranges or tangerines. I'm also getting some wood or cork as well, coming across as damp cardboard or packing peanuts. Dank and musty like a long-forgotten cellar. (3.5/5)

T - Following in the vein of the nose, this is nice and tart, with a good amount of Brett and Lacto in here. Again, the cornucopia of fruits continues, but now it's more focused on the citrus. The tanginess and tartness is throwing me a little, but I'm thinking it's more tangerine here. (4/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. I was expecting this to be overly carbonated due to the gushing, but it actually feels pretty good on the mouth here. Almost a completely bone-dry finish leaves the palate feeling clean. The combination of all these factors makes it quite pleasant to drink. (4/5)

D/O - As I drink this beer, it starts to win me over. The boisterous entrance likens it to a dear friend who lets himself go at parties; it's not pretty and you want to distance yourself from him, but when he's calm and sober, he's good to have around. This is nice and easy to drink, and thankfully I still have half a bottle to drink after this glass... oh wait. (4/5)

I'm sticking with my lambic prediction here and based on the rather unconventional flavors here, I'm thinking its a U.S. brewery. I want to say either Upland Peach Lambic or Persimmon Lambic, and the big citrus I'm getting is making me go with Persimmon.

The reveal: Upland Strawberry Lambic. No shit. After drinking more after the reveal I guess I can strain to find some strawberry, but I'm still hard-pressed to find it. Still a good beer in any case!

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks for sharing the bottle Dave!

Huge gusher. Probably lost about a third of the bottle or more. The appearance is a cloudy, tangerine-orange, with a thin white head filled with yeast specks. The gushing definitely didn't help the look of this beer.

Lactic sourness with some brett funk rises up from the glass. Some fruitiness, but hard to describe. Strawberries I guess. A touch of hay and grass as well. White grapes.

Mmm... strawberries. The fruit comes through nicely in the taste. Good sourness with sweet malts and white wine. Hay with a touch of earthiness. A little bit of the oak barrel comes through as well.

Mouthfeel is rustic with some chewiness. Nice level of sourness for a "young" beer. Good feel.

This is quite drinkable. The nose didn't do a whole lot for me, but the taste was good and the strawberries came through nicely. This is my first Upland lambic and I'm impressed enough to hope a few more come my way. Not quite Cantillon, but a good start.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Drank yesterday, but writing from notes. Served from 750 bottle into wine glasses.

A: Hazy, golden. Small head (but after a somewhat explosive opening). Lots of sediment and/or pulp.

S: Funk and strawberry jam. Phosphorous.

T: Strawberries aren't too noticeable, actually. It does taste fruity, but almost like sour apricots or something like that. Lots of sourness and funk.

M: Very acidic. Otherwise, medium to light body.

O: It's a decent beer, but I'd love to see how a Belgian Lambic brewery would make a strawberry lambic. I think they would do a better job.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

750ml bottle received in trade with mistakebythelake. Thanks! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Bottle opened as a gusher that sprayed across my kitchen counter...approximately half of the bottle was rescued through some quick pouring action...pours a cloudy and yeasted filled pale golden orange color. A thin white head forms and leaves behind lots of foamy lacing over the surface of the glass.

S - This is as barnyardy a beer as I've ever encountered. Horse manure aromas are over the top...feel like I was deposited in a barn. Super funky and very pungent...feel like I'm about to pass out from the aroma. Underneath the funk, there is a sweetness and tart strawberries and some wet hay - all of these are secondary to the funk.

T - Tart, very funky, mild fruity strawberry flavors...lots of lactice sourness.

M - Thin, tart and puckering with a a very high carbonation level.

D - Taste is way better than the aroma (too much funk - never thought I'd be able to say that!). I could easily have more of this. Too bad the bottle was such a gusher - a little disappointing

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Got from BarrytheBear in trade at DLD! Thanks!

A - Pours a hazy gold color with little head and gets cloudy real quick when the yeast hits.

S - Very tart aroma with plenty of sour aroma, no strawberry to speak of.

T - The taste is close to an under-ripe strawberry with the strong sour notes, but the strawberry really comes out. The taste is quite interesting and very complex. Something you certainly can get a different taste on every sip.

M/D - Mouthfeel has a slight bite to it, but the fruit makes it really work out. This is something I'm glad I am I had the opportunity to try.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

750 mL bottle courtesy of Bankhead, split five ways at the C'ville Throwdown #3 - thanks! Poured in to a tulip. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: I got the dregs on this one, and it's a doozy - thick, yeasty, almost like peach or mango juice, sort of a nice orangey, slightly-pinkishly hued. Maybe ruby red grapefruit juice? Yes, that's it - ruby red grapefruit juice, a nice garnet salmon, absolutely opaque, with no hint of head, surface lacing, side lacing, bubble collar .... anything. The only hint of anything completely faded inside 5 seconds of the pour, a thick, fizzy, bubbling mass of head that disappeared far more quickly than it came (it seems).

Aroma: Very mild on the nose ... until you agitate. Tons of funk, with hints of cat urine and generic light fruit notes - perhaps they're strawberry-esque, but they also hint at peach, mango, unripe pear, and sour apple. A few nice honey-golden, slightly cinnamony bready notes compliment the fruity funky notes well, as do hints of freshly baked bread. Sort of like a strawberry creamsicle at some points.

Taste: Very nice and easy-going. Not terribly flavorful - just sort of a generic honey-golden base beer, with hints of cracker, biscuit, and honey, under a very mild amount of acidity and funk and a slight array of fruityness. It's not terribly funky - only a kiss of barnyard, a kiss (plus) of acidity - and the fruityness is fairly neutral, which I imagine is not a process issue, and is really mostly the result of the use of strawberries, which don't seem like the best fruit to lend to a lambic. That being said, I do definitely get strawberry out of this beer, along with those aforementioned light notes - peach, mainly.

Mouthfeel: Slow, light, still, and thick at the very finish with the addition of that yeast kick - almost like a milkshake. I imagine that's partially the bottom of the bottle (the thickness), but the low amount of carbonation is not unusual for the style, mellow, mild, and drinkable.

Drinkability: Strawberry doesn't seem like it's the best beer to infuse a lambic with - it's almost neutrally fruity, when you're using the actual fruit, and I imagine you have to use a lot of strawberries to actually get an effective "strawberry"-esque note out of the fruit. And, that being said, a lot of these notes weren't strawberry-esque - the yeast (in conjunction with generic fructose, I imagine) contributes lots of other stone fruits. But it was drinkable, low in abv%, and fairly bright and refreshing, even though that's partially the result of a neutral profile. Worth trying, though not a favorite.

3.87/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour at the pre-FWIBF bottle share held at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles, CA.

Bottled 11/12/13.

Pours a murky reddish-orange with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, strawberry, and acidic aromas. Taste is much the same with super sour malt, strawberry, and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a great strawberry aroma and super sour flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

A very big, warm and open thanks to my kind friends who helped me with the hookup on these Upland beers. I have long wanted to try them and the first of the bunch I go for is the strawberry as I hear it is the one I need to go after. Served chilled and poured into a tulip, this one was consumed on 03/30/2009.

The pour was very nice, classic for the style with a very hazy light orange color. Still at first but then some light carbonation bubbling up to the surface as it warms up to the room. Slight head of white comes up over the top and settles down effortlessly, leaving a bare naked top. The aroma was acidic, lots of apple vinagar funk notes all over this. Light touches of strawberry, but very light as this has evolved into a sour beast. The flavor carries this across as well. What was once a mighty sour and strawberry oak is now a funky tart sour beer. No complaints, though a little more complexity would have been welcomed. Smooth and delicate as it crosses the palate, some light notes of strawberry are still to be found inside. The light drying notes as it fades away offer one last shot at the sour bite as it fades off into the sunset.

Overall a very nice sour beer, though I would have liked to try the flavor a little fresher. This was still a more then capable beer that I would never turn down.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: Hazy amber-blond, not as much strawberry color as I would have expected. The head rises to an inch and a half and then dissipates almost immediately.

Smell: Somewhat ambiguously fruity with a mild bretty funk beneath. Acetobacter lends a balsamic vinegar-like character.

Taste & mouthfeel: More strawberry-like than the nose suggests. Pleasant berry flavors meet a pretty strong undercurrent of acetic acid. The light body, strong carbonation and dryness make for a very drinkable beer all the same. The finish presents some oaky tannins, though they're on the mild side, and the slightest hint of fruity sweetness. Pretty decent stuff.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Note to others. Don't open this with a hinged wine key. Had a difficult time popping mine open and actually was digging into the bottle and sending shards of glass who knows where.

Pours a foggy gold. Almost no head. Nose is lactic and funky. One sided and not very complex. But hey, it smells like a lambic. Flavor is lactic. Little bit of wood there. Citrus acidity is there, but the acid is not too high. Touch of vanilla. Not overly complex IMO. Fairly biting carbonation. Typical liquid tone. Okay. It's a lambic. Don't really get the strawberry on this, but it's funky like a lambic.

Strawberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company