Strawberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Strawberry LambicStrawberry Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: merlin48 on 10-29-2007)
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Drank from the bottle...Pours a cloudy light brown, with decent retention and lacing...The aroma is distincly strawberry, sweet but not generic a little yeast and oak...The taste is mostly oaked strawberries, its still pretty sweet making it drinkable. Not the best of the lambics I've had to date but decent enough to give a shot.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage (thx northyorksammy!) poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Upland's Strawberry Lambic is a murky auburn with a quickly fizzling white head. Huge pile of dregs on the last pour, even with plenty left in the bottle.

Smell is as advertised, strawberries and lambic. For some reason I didn't think this would smell like a real lambic, but it definitely does, in a good way.

Taste is also strait forward and satisfying fruit lambic. Nice minerality from the sourness without being to barnyard, mostly lacto, enhanced by the natural acidity of the berries, which still retain some fruit flavor.

Mouthfeel is dry, acid coats the teeth, medium light body.

Drinkability is pretty high for lovers of true fruit lambics. An impressive effort by Upland, better then I expected, I really came to appreciate it as I enjoyed my way through the bottle. A shame this is not more widely available, at least here.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer gushed, popped like champagne. The strangest thing was that ALL of the sediment poured out onto the counter instead of staying with the beer, at the bottom. It did unfortunately get all over my pants. I made sure to cover the bottle until it settled itself (just like the '09 Juliet). It eventually poured a murky, dark orange in color with a one finger head that laced the glass. It smells of both sweet and tart strawberries. I like it and I'm almost impressed that it doesn't drink like I've heard it to. Perhaps, like the peach that I know was different from bottle to bottle, that this drinks like a solid independent sour. It's actually pretty good. It has ALOT of barnyard funk and a good amount of both sweet and sour strawberry. I'm surprised I like it so much. So did the puppy, who licked it off the floor. This drinks rather dry and tart, appealingly so. It is rather acidic but it's good in the manner it presents itself. Good beer. If only there were more than 450 bottles of it. It is overly carbonated but Upland did email us about this. I like it. It doesn't deserve the negative rep that I've heard so far. Save it and try it! If you can.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Chris was kind enough to split a bottle with me

A: Clear light orange until I pour the yeast in at which point it turns turbid as hell. Thin, choppy head that recedes fairly quickly

S: Acetic but pleasant. Not very funky. Strawberries are mild but are pleasant and noticeable. Mild oak and tannic presence. Sweetness comes with the last pour.

T: Opens up with a ton of acetic tartness followed by a fruity sweetness that disappears, leaving a dry, tart finish that's acidic. Yeast cuts acidity but it's still noticeable.

M: Light dry finish, solid carbonation and a nice dry, tart finish

D: I'm enjoying this, thanks Chris!

Big thanks goes out to aasher for handing this one off to me in our most recent massive in-person trade! Thanks Al! This one was shared during the big Upland sour tasting amongst a large group of BAs! Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a hazy orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, strawberry, funk, tart, and diaper (NOW THAT’S SOME FUNK!). The flavor was of sweet malt, strawberry, funk, sour, tart, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. Upon smelling this one and picking up on a note of diaper with others in the group agreeing I knew this brew was going to bring the funk. Sure enough, it was rather funky with a nice sweetness from the strawberry to balance it out. A really well put together brew that I would love to drink everyday if possible.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this a couple of times, but reviewing from a bottle pour at FoBAB because that is the one that did not explode all over the place (at least in my presence).

A - Reddish copper colored beer with a little bit of an off-white head that faded to mere bubbles pretty quickly.

S - Somewhat tart strawberries, very sweet, little bit of funk. Reminds me kind of dirty strawberry preserves, although it's not necessarily bad.

T - Out of all the Upland lambics I've had, this is probably my least favorite one. Fruity strawberries, little bit of funk, fairly sweet, not particularly sour. It's not bad tasting, but it's kind of boring.

M - Lighter bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Not bad, but not one I'd probably drink again and would be hesitant to purchase on their next release, although the Upland lambics do seem to get better every batch. As far as strawberry beers go, probably one of the better ones.33

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Bottled on 09/23/10. Batch 42-09. Thanks Kyle for picking this up!

(A)- Slow gusher. Pours a cloudy golden orange/pink color. Produced a nice effervescent white head that dissipated quickly to bubbles.

(S)- A really nice dry oaky lactic strawberry fruit acidity. Some barnyard funk in there. Not a ton of fruit, but it is still there. Very nice lactic bits.

(T)- Woah, this. . is. . sour. A large puckered lactic acidity up front on this. Very subtle tart strawberry fruit. Lots of dry oaky funk on the finish as it warms.

(M)- A nice carbonation level. Very sour and acidic, though that actually starts to subside as it warms. Fruit has mostly fallen off, but the oak sure shines through now.

(D)- Definitely the most sour of the Uplands I have had so far. Fruit has been quick to disappear, but this sure has already matured into a rather nice sour/oaky example.

pour is dark hazy orange and thin bubbly white head. The nose is heavy band aid and plastic. Dusty Brett and seedy strawberry with a light lactic note. The taste is solid, strong seedy strawberry, light band aid, dusty Brett, fairly sour, light lactic note. Assertive carbonation, fairly dry, light body.

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

It seemed like a good time to crack this. Nice orange color with a good and healthy funk of a smell, barnyard and urine. Easy flavor with a sugary strawberry finish but not what I would call sweet, funky and tart but not sour. I would love to try a bottle of the base lambic used for these beers or maybe one day an Upland gueuze. The carbonation is a little low but still has a nice feel to it.

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Review from notes; ashamed to say I can't remember exactly when I had this, but thanks to whoever shared it!

A: Cloudy pale orange body with a cap of fine off-white foam. Light lace. Ok.

S: Lactic tartness, citric acidity, grassy funk, and just a hint of strawberry. Nice, but not as fruity as I was expecting.

T: Juicy, fruity sweetness up front, with pineapple and strawberry giving way to sharp citrus sourness. Lingering lactic burn. Pretty good.

M: Soft medium body, almost no carbonation. Not great.

O: Enjoyable, but probably the least impressive of the Upland sours I've had.

Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

My brother picked this one up for me in Indiana.

A: Pours a light golden hue with tones of light red showing thru. Very little head and no retention or lace.

S: Very light sourness with hints of wild barnyard funk. Very light hint of yeast and a touch of tart.

T: Crushed sweet tarts up front with very muted strawberry hiding beneath. A touch of sour and wild yeast as well.

M: Medium in body, with a nice tartness.

D: I enjoyed the level of sour/tart in this beer, but the fruit taste is nearly abscent. I would have liked a nice blast of strawberry. Guess I will move on to the others and see if I can find any more fruit flavor in them. It's drinkable, but not the most tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle courtesy of SQNfan. Pours a light yellow, clear, with absolutely no head. Aroma is quite funky, with some sour and oak notes. Flavor is fruitier, with coconut. The strawberry really comes out in the finish as the beer warms. Lots of sour/tart notes and the light fruitiness from the strawberry. A very nice beer! I am glad I got the chance to try this one.
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 16/20
4.0/5

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

750ml corked bottle shared courtesy of axilla.

Slight gusher. Poured a deeper and cloudy golden color with an averaged sized off white head. Some floaters.

Aromas of strawberries, yeast, funkiness, wood, and earthy. Tastes of strawberries, funkiness, berries, green apples, and light wood. Light sour and tart finish. I love strawberries and they were present but not overpowering in this one.

Notes from and taste on 2/8/08