Blueberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Blueberry LambicBlueberry Lambic

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 01-01-2008)
Reviews by Gobzilla:
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Gobzilla, Mar 01, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

2008 vintage. These have black caps. Purchased yesterday at the brewery. Pours into my glass a deep, vibrant purple/red color with a few light bubbles on top and no real head to speak of. Somewhat hazy. The colors from the real blueberries really shines through. Aromas of light grain malt bathed in a barnyard funkiness. Sour acetic notes mix in with fresh fruity blueberry notes and oak. Pretty nice, but its a bit mellow compared to traditional Belgian counterparts.

First sip brings a light crisp grain upfront that leads way to a fruity blueberry flavor. Sour, acidic notes move in with the trademark lambic, barnyard funkiness. Vinous notes on the way down with mild oak astringency. Not as sour as expected and nearly non-existent carbonation. Maybe some age will help this?

Mouthfeel is light and smooth here. Goes down easy with a subtle puckering sourness. I have to fault this particular bottle as it almost had no carbonation whatsoever. I'm really hoping my other blueberry bottle doesn't have this problem, as it does take away from the overall brew. Cheers to Upland for creating all these lambics!

orbitalr0x, Oct 12, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

dogfishandi, Apr 14, 2014

Cynic-ale, Mar 09, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -2%

Thanks Dan for sharing this to have a counterpoint to LeBleu. Very greatly appreciated.

My first Upland beer, and it was a good one, Blueberry Lambic. The beer is a ruddy purple-red, cloudy with particulates, it looks like freshly crushed blueberry juice. The beer smells wonderful, pouring out a bouquet of fresh squeezed blueberries. However, the lambic part of this equation is missing, the lack of sour funkiness in the nose was a pretty good indication that those flavors were probably missing in the taste. This proved to be true as the blueberry was the center point of the beer. I have expected to find blueberry skins and seeds in the bottle of my glass! The fresh berry sweetness and tannins were there and well in balance. The acidity was present, but much more restrained than I expected from a lambic, it tasted more like tartness from the berries and not from the wild bugs. I wonder if another couple years in the bottle would really develop the brett/lacto/pedio character in the beer.

The beer was a little undercarbonated for my tastes as I find the bubbles help carry the fruit aromas and flavors while adding acidity. CO2 also makes the beer seem brighter and more lively. Overall this was a delicious beer, but I think more lambic aroma and taste would really take this over the top. Perhaps what this beer is more time in barrels to give the critters a chance to break down even more of the sugars, as I tasted a tiny bit of residual sweetness. I think that more time before fruit addition would help get more wildness and sourness in the beer.

Soonami, Apr 10, 2011

stereosforgeeks, Aug 18, 2014

Schlafly33, Jul 28, 2014

acurtis, Apr 12, 2012

UWBadgerFan4Life, Jun 29, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a bottle into my Oud Beersel glass, thanks Todd for the chance to try this one!

A - Pours a very flat dark purple tint with no haze. Other then the lack of head, this beer has an amazing color.

S - Extremely sour lemon with a bit of funk. Not a lot of blueberry, but the aroma is similar to some of the most puckering brews I have ever had.

T - Good, but not great. No where near as sour as the smell would lead one to believe, but still some excellent lemon characteristics, with small hints of blueberry skin. Mostly lambic flavor, a little more blueberry would have been welcomed.

M - Body is good, but it lacks any kind of carbonation. The style doesnt always require it, but I feel this beer could have benefited from some bubbles.

D - Due to the mouthfeel, I don't think I could have more then my 8 oz pour before I craved something a little more lively. The flavor is very drinkable, but as a whole this beer just doesn't deliver.

I think this brew has a lot of potential and will re-review if I get to try another batch.

nkersten, Jul 20, 2009

jh1982, Dec 10, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to Verecund for this one. Poured from a capped and corked 750ml bottle into a crystal snifter. Shared with schen9303. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours nearly still with a couple of bubbles stirring atop the brew. No head, no lacing. Beer is a deep, clear purplish-pink that reveals slight bubbles of carbonation.

S: Nose is simple and mildly aromatic but very deep. Crushed blueberries and oak from beginning to end.

T: Taste is spot on with the nose. Blueberry from beginning to finish. Crisp and clean at the end which gets deeper and deeper as the beer warms in the mouth. Slight semblance of funkiness right towards the middle to end. No tartness whatsoever, this one resembles more of a well-made blueberry fruit beer than a lambic. Barrel-aging is not at all apparent. Finishes fruity with a juicy, blueberry aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and with very little carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and messy and slightly dry at the finish and going down. Aftertaste lingers for a bit.

D: This one is honestly a bit of a disappointment. Not much of a lambic in any sense. No tartness, not really dry, and -bal effect is almost completely missing. A great fruit beer if it were described as such but in the category that it is, average to below average overall.

SpeedwayJim, Jan 10, 2011

Photekut, Nov 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Gonzoillini, Jun 22, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

No head. Rose colored liquid, pink tinges.

Nice sour fruity lacto smell, Red berries & flowers.

Tart berry sourness is not as sour as it smells. Slightly acetic, mostly lacto character. Don't ever really taste blueberry here, more of a cherry or generic "red berry" flavor.

Slightly puckering feel, but overall comes off a bit light all around, which does make it really drinkable.

BeerZack, Jun 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

This one was shared during the big Upland sour tasting amongst a large group of BAs! Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a purplish red with a half finger pink head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, blueberries, funk, and sour. The flavor was of sweet malt, blueberries, funk, tart, and sour. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. This was my second favorite from this tasting which included all of the Upland fruit lambics and Sour Reserve Batch 1 (which took #1). We figured no one had brought Blåbær so this would make a decent substitute. We were right on that aspect. While not as funky like most Cantillons, this one definitely carried a similar flavor profile. With this one being MUCH easier to obtain I would not think twice about pick as many of these up as possible based on my two experiences with this brew. A definite must try for anyone who calls themselves a sour fan. If you haven’t tried it before, you need to do so…

thagr81us, Jul 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

GRG1313, May 19, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from 750ml caged and corked bottle. Split with Lukafer. The only bottle out of the 3 Upland Lambics that didn't gush that night.

A- Pours what I would say a plum color with some light blue highlights. There is a light 1/4 figner purple head that dies to nothing in about ten seconds. No lacing on this beer which would have looked pretty in my opinion.

S- This had a light musty sour scent right off the bat. No real wood notes at all which I thought maybe this one would have. This isn't all vinegar and there is some light funk that goes along well with this beer. Blueberry did come out when I held this glass a little more high than I normally would when sniffing. Not bad smelling at all.

T- Blueberry in the front was a lovely surprise. This dies down toward the middle where there is a light funky vinegary sourness to the beer muddled with hints of bready base malts. This follows through to the ending where there becomes a light sugary blueberry flavor. The very end of this ends with a kiss of alcohol and a touch of vinegary sourness.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is very good for the beer. There is some funky vinegar notes with blueberry on the palate. The aftertaste is mostly sugary sweet blueberry with light warming alcohol that compliments the full aftertaste. This beer was the best blended from the Upland Lambics. No off flavors were present. Medium drying on the palate itself from the alcohol in each sip.

D- This beer was the only Upland Lambic that night that held any sort of light in the lambic world. It's flavors could have been a little brighter and more full but I think the fullness would come out more in a aged bottle. See Upland if you get your shit together you can make a decent lambic!

alleykatking, Jan 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

sfr26, Mar 22, 2014
4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from the bottle into a taster glass. 2012 vintage.

Appeared a dark purple color with minimal head and carbonation. Slightly see through.

Smelled of tart blueberries, orange, lemon, and white wine.

Taste is solid. Very sour - typical of Upland. Not much funk but more tartness. A bit of champagne taste.

Mouthfeel is light with little carbonation.

Overall a mouth-puckering sour that is solid.

TWStandley, Sunday at 01:23 AM
3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

Sample courtesy of Jay23...this is batch #1 (2007).

Deep scarlet-magenta tone in the glass, with a ring of darker pinkish-white foam. Fairly murky. Looks pretty unique for a Lambic.

Aromas of leather, some wood, and mystery spices. First thing it reminded me of was JP Roja by it's nose only.

Taste had a nice citric sour pucker to it, stimulating the salivary glands fully. There was only a hint of berry in the aftertaste. It had a fairly low carbonation, with a thinner body. This may be traditional, but a little more spritz may liven it up more.

Overall, this was a great Lambic, suprisingly good coming from the Midwest and not overseas. One for warm weather, or if you're craving something sour. Maybe not as approachable to Lambic novices, but great for those with a taste for the sour side.

emerge077, Jan 01, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

750 ml capped and corked bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple with pretty much no head at all. It smells tart, like oak, blueberries, and some funk and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, I can taste vinegar, blueberries, oak, and some vanilla. However, the taste is subtle, and I wish it had a little more kick to it. Mouthfeel is thin, seems a bit watery to me. Not much carbonation either, however there is some slickness which is nice. Drinkability is decent, it's not hard to drink at all. I think it's an OK enough beer, but there's definitely some room for improvement with this. I'll have to try another batch in the future and see how it is.

bluejacket74, May 22, 2009

HaveUSeenMyCellar, Mar 13, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

Received as part of a freaking awesome trade with Bobby91w ... Bobby threw down in a big way. Thanks homeboy and I hope you're safe... Thanks for serving.

Shared this with a few of the Boise peeps a while back... reviewed from paper notes.

No head really.. the brew is sorta a lightly hazed deep red/purple .. surprise surprise.. Sorta looks like a Pinot Noir in my little glass.

Nose has a bright blueberry essence and a mild funk to it.. more dusty than really funky ... tart fruits tend to dominate.

Flavor mirrors the nose with a tannic element to it that I assume comes from the fruit skins (doesn't strike me as oak tannins) .. there is some oakiness to it that adds more of a vanilla component.. some acetic notes add complexity.. The body is lite with a very lite carbonation.. if the carbonation was dialed in, I think this would be very nice... The funk never really translates on the palate... However, I could have easily enjoyed this entire bottle over a couple of hours.

I think the funky yeast and bacteria probably didn't have the appropriate time to really do the damage they do. If I still had one, I would age it for a couple of years before breaking it out again.

What I truly appreciated about this beer is the "real fruit" character.. there is no mistaking it.. reminds me of the distilled essence of the blueberry pie at the diner in my home town.

I actually really enjoyed this brew for what it is. Don't try to compare it to a traditional fruit lambic.. it just doesn't stand up, but the bones are there and I hope to be lucky enough to score this batch and future batches again.

If you're reading this, and have an extra bottle... please contact me.... no joke. Message me now, before you go back to work, to bed, take a nap, or check your beermails... message me now.

3/3.5/3.5/3/4

Edit: Again... big thanks to Bobby91w ... Bobby is a great trader.

JohnGalt1, Jan 12, 2010