Blueberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: emerge077 on 01-01-2008

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

I think this was Batch #3? Bottled 09/27/2010. Batch 42-09. Served in a Delerium Tremens snifter.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar, spotty partial cap, and no lace. Hazy dark purple-blue color that gets increasingly turbid as one works through the bottle.

S - Lots of wild blueberries, lactic acidity, spicy wood, and some funky sweetness as well.

T - Taste isn't quite as enjoyable. There's a lactic sourness that reminds me of umpteen other generic American wilds, some unsweetened blueberry skins, oak, and some soda water astringency - perhaps even a touch mineral.

M - Medium body, lower carbonation, smooth texture, with a dry, tannic finish. Surprisingly clean aftertaste, and no discernible alcohol. I actually appreciate the lower carbonation as more bubbles likely would have aggravated the astringency.

D - I remember liking this more when it was fresh - I wouldn't age this batch further to be honest. It's lacking complexity with lactic acidity dominating the other flavor elements. Still, an improvement from the flat early batches. It was really easy to put down a bottle, even with minimal help.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Classy understated label art & design. Branded black hood-and-wire cap over a cork. 750ml. Bottled: 01/17/14. Batch: 014.

Served cold into a tulip and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Expectations are high given the brewery and style. Reviewed live as a blueberry faux-lambic.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: About 1.5-2 inches wide. Fizzy and white, with a thin weak consistency. Retention is pathetic; this recedes fully within 15 seconds, leaving no lacing.

BODY: Vibrant red. Translucent; semitransparent. No yeast is visible within. Clean-looking.

Appears aptly carbonated. It's a good look for a fruited (faux)lambic, even if it isn't the purple of a blueberry lambic like Cantillon's or the blue you might hope for. I'm eager to try it.

AROMA: Berry-skin, mellow sourness (maybe 3/10 in terms of intensity), clean lactobacillus bacteria, tart currants, acid, wine-eagre, timid faint oak, and maybe redcurrant. Notably, no blueberry (or bilberry) is suggested, which is admittedly a bit of a let-down.

The reticence of the oak is also disappointing, as-is the seeming relative lack of sourness. More bacterial complexity would be lovely, and all I'm picking up in terms of sourness is lactobacillus-derived, not lambicus yeast-derived. If it wasn't so boldly identified as a lambic on the bottle, I might wonder if I'd aged it too long...

Aromatic intensity is average.

TASTE: The taste brings *far* more sourness, tartness, and acidity than the aroma suggested, much to the beer's benefit. Lactobacillus bacterial notes, hints of vinegar, acetic acid, lactic acid, and some juicy redcurrants. Could be more tart. The sourness is almost puckering in its strength, coming in at a good 7-8/10 in terms of intensity. What's noticeably absent is any blueberry whatsoever; I pick up on berries/currants and berry skin, but not blueberry.

As I feared, all the sourness is seemingly from lactobacillus; there're no other bacterial strains that are obvious, nor is there any intricate lambicus yeast.

Still, the depth of flavour is stellar, and no sour fan will be disappointed. It's well-balanced, letting the sourness easily eclipse the neutral malt base, and there're no off-notes, nor is there anything out of place (e.g. booze or overt hop notes). There are more complex sours out there (especially in terms of lambics, true and faux), but this is more than sufficient and I find it a very tasty likable beer. Cohesive, if not gestalt in its build. Good execution.

TEXTURE: Has that lovely puckery smackiness on the palate I always adore in a great sour. It's acidic to style, but not too twangy, and is aptly smooth, wet, and refreshing. Aptly medium-bodied, with a nice moderately thick moderately hefty presence on the palate. An even softer, more delicate feel might suit the beer better, but this is well-executed - albeit a biteen overcarbonated.

This texture complements the taste well, but falls short of achieving a perfect harmony with it. The pungent acidity does help accentuate the lactobacillus, elevating the beer as a whole.

OVERALL: It's not an American rival to Cantillon's blueberry lambic by any stretch, nor does it really bring any blueberry. But it's surprisingly not unworthy of the lambic epithet on its label, even if it wasn't fermented in the Senne valley. I'm not sure it's amongst the elite of American-brewed sours, but there's a lot going on here that I love. For a fruited lambic, though, its really missing notes of fruit - as well as the requisite concomitant tartness. Absolutely worth trying, and one of the more sour sours I've had of late. Some drinkers might find its palate-stripping battery acid acidity overwhelming, but I quite fancy it. Proof Upland's sours are worthy of their high reputation (even if their shelf offerings almost always fall short).

I'm glad I chose this as my birthday beer, and will relish devouring the entire bottle.

Would pair very well with a balsamic vinegar-dressed salad. Aging potential seems restrained; the complexity (particularly in terms of the fermenting agents) just isn't there.

B+ (3.79)

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 5.0. Pours the color of ripe blueberry flesh, sort of blueish pink, with no head. Aroma is reminiscent of blueberry maple syrup but with more sharpness to it. Tastes like overripe blueberries, the kind that if you eat they're a little too soft and mushy and don't taste as bright and sharp as ripe ones. Pretty tart but the acidity/sourness is toned down here compared to any expectations one might have for a 'lambic.'

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at the Revenge Of Instant Replay bottleshare held at Instant Replay in Canoga Park, CA.

Bottled 10/30/13. Batch 2.08.

Pours a murky dark reddish-purple with a foamy reddish-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, berry, and acidic aromas. Taste is much the same with sour berry and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has a fairly one dimensional aspect with the sourness.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, blue/purple tinged copper color with a minimal head that collars around the glass. Nice aroma with notes of tart blueberry, fruit, and slight acetone. Light mouthfeel. The blueberry isn’t as good as what I wanted. Not overly sour. Not too carbonated and wish it had a touch more. Some apple fruit notes as well.

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%

Upland Brewery

Upland's Blueberry Lambic pours burgundy with the look of fruit juice when backlit, glowing red with a purple tint. An aggressive pour only yielded a thin, mostly bubbled head that quickly fizzled out to absolutely nothing. This lambic looks almost still but when backlit I notice a couple streams of very slow moving carbonation. Not a very good start.

The aroma is faint. The blueberries are mildly noticeable and are both sweet and somewhat peppery. The nose is slightly acetic with a sharp note here ad there of blueberry although that's not all that often. Pretty straightforward aroma but I enjoy what's there. The tartness is minimal in the nose.

The flavor comes along nicely and this beer seems to get better as I drink. There's a mild peppery note right off the bat (from the blueberries) with a dry woodiness mid-palate that lingers through the finish. The blueberry adds a touch of sweet but only for a second. Notes of red wine vinegar pop up here and there that are tart but don't quite reach sour. Slight lactic sourness as well but it's tough to pick out. I'd love to see more sourness on this lambic it's pretty good where it is.

The body at first seemed much too watery but as I drink it seems to pick up a little slickness and a mild tartness sticks to my cheeks. The body is on the lighter side of the spectrum and moves fairly quickly.

I can and have been putting this beer away pretty easily. The light body and tartness keep the glass tilted in the pouring position.

I have to say this lambic was a bit of a disappointment. The flavor is there but the lack of carbonation really knocks this one back on most categories. A few more bubbles and this would have been a really good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

750ml bottle poured into some wine glasses.

A- Dark blue sort of purple looking beer here. A hard pour yielded nothing in terms of head, with no head comes no lace.

S- A nice blueberry scent with some earthiness and very mild tart scents. Nothing in terms of malts or hops, just blueberries, low sour and some accidity.

T- One of the best blueberry beers i've had because I don't get many. This one tastes good but really is not that all complex. Some slight funky yeasty things going on. The berries are the forefront but are not overpowering. Taste like tart fruit juice.

M&D- Well this one is flat as can be. Nothing lively under the tounge which takes away from the drinkability. It has a nice taste but the lack of any ummphh keeps me from wanting more.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

I picked up all of the four flavors of the new Upland Lambics. This is my second favorite. This beer is my first experience with lambics. I really enjoy the tart flavor and the bits of fruit in the brew. The taste is there but the sour taste distracts from the flavor. Its fairly drinkable. It just makes it hard on the tongue to drink more than half a bottle! ;-)

Overall, its a good beer with a nice flavor and tart taste. Its a little pricey at 15 bucks a 750mL but its still fun never the less.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

I had higher hopes for this lambic, but it's just decent rather than transcendent. Pours a beautiful purple, but with no head. Stemmy blueberries on the nose with quite an impact. The aroma fades on the finish. Not quite as lush as I'd like. A little thin and sour to start as far as the taste goes, but the blueberries make an appearance toward the finish as nice, clean fruit. The mouthfeel is thin and a little sour. A little perfumy overall, and a bit stemmy. Could be lush, or could be bracingly sour, but it straddles those lines without really deciding which direction it would like to go and without making a statement. Somewhat pleasant, but could be so much more.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml capped and corked bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple with pretty much no head at all. It smells tart, like oak, blueberries, and some funk and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, I can taste vinegar, blueberries, oak, and some vanilla. However, the taste is subtle, and I wish it had a little more kick to it. Mouthfeel is thin, seems a bit watery to me. Not much carbonation either, however there is some slickness which is nice. Drinkability is decent, it's not hard to drink at all. I think it's an OK enough beer, but there's definitely some room for improvement with this. I'll have to try another batch in the future and see how it is.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Bottled 09/27/2010. Batch 42-09.

3.5 A: Deep amber, almost plum color. Three fingers of pinkish purple head with soda-like retention and no lacing. I got some yeasties at the bottle of my first glass.

4.0 S: Not surprisingly, this is full of blueberry. The big fruitiness is acccompanied by a healthy bit of oak, subtle vanilla and tannic astringency, and (mainly) tangy lactic acidity

3.5 T: The taste is good, but not any better than that. Again, plenty of blueberry, but only a fraction of what the nose suggests. Otherwise, this is very dry with very little complexity and only a mild acidity. Not much in terms of acetic acid, but some tangy lactic acid. Oak and vanilla again. Despite the simplicity, I still like it for the blueberry burst it offers.

3.5 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The carbonation isn't as "active" as I'd like and the body isn't thick enough to yield a good creaminess.

3.5 D: By no means a bad beer, but easily the worst out of the four offered for this release. Big hit of blueberry, but not much else.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kstrickler for muling this!

Poured a respectably carbonated clear blue into my old school grandma glass. not much lacing or head present.

Smell of sweet acid and some mild czech hop with blueberries and oak.

Taste of fresh blueberries, oaky funk and battery acid. There is not a ton of body to it, in fact it feels pretty light in mouthfeel for the style. The funk got slightly stronger towards the end for two reasons being that there were more particulate matter at the bottom and because it had warmed up a little bit. It starts of extremely refreshingly good tasting of blueberries and light sweet lambic. As it warmed, more of the gueuze flavors become prominent and made me respect Upland a little more for getting a good quality flavored lambic out in the middle of the US. There was a slight dry / tart finish to it which is expected for the style.

A nice blueberry lambic. The first I have had, next for Blauw to compare head to head with LeBlue possibly.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Andrewinski1 was generous enough to share this one with me. Poured into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy shade of violet with about a finger of lighter colored head. Kind of a sweet batter aroma to this. Andy said it kind of reminds him of blueberry pancake batter and I think that is spot on. It's slightly tart in the aroma with a decent balance of sweetness. The taste is a bit on the subtle side. Barely tart and barely sweet. It's kind of the Switzerland of beers. I really like the nice light body but I think the carbonation is a bit much. Overall, I dig this. It kind of underwhelms but I'll still stand by it as a sound effort.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer was generously shared by backfat at Goose Island's Stout Fest, thanks Dave! I had really been looking forward to trying this after having the other three lambics from Upland's December release. This beer poured a murky violet in color with a light off white head which laced the glass. It had red rose highlights when put up to the light. The aromas let me down. I wanted blueberry, any blueberry. All I could pick up were other dark fruits, tart and sour notes, and funk. It had this lactic acid acidity which threw me off. I didn't get any blueberry at all. Nooo! The flavor kind of let me down too. It featured a fruity, marmalade like sweetness initially before fading into a sour and tart dark fruity potpourri. God, I just wanted some blueberries. Again it had this lactic component which really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I was getting moody, I don't know. It drank with the consistency I prefer in a lambic but left behind this odd after taste that their other lambics have. I don't think I'm a fan of the yeast that Upland uses for their lambics. Something was off on this one. I still have a bottle so I guess I'll save it for awhile. Hopefully that bottle is a better experience.

Update: I shared a second bottle of this last night with my girlfriend. This bottle actually did give off slight and subtle blueberry aromas. They were still disappointing but at least they were present. The flavor too only gave slight blueberry, leaving me wanting more prominent blueberry.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottled on 9/27/10. Batch 42-09.

Split this with my wife, poured my allotment into a large wine glass. Pours a dark purple-tinted crimson. Very thick-looking. Lots of sediment in the glass. A small pinkish head sits atop, but dies out quickly. The aroma is funkified. Sweat, locker room - just downright funky. Faint blueberry tones noted, but way overpowered by the funkiness of this crimson delicacy.

Mild carbonation on the palate. Finishes decent enough. Dries out on the finish. Puckeringly tart blueberries in the flavor. Sour lemon-like citrus, yeast, lactic-acid wrinkling the palate a bit, more funky flavors. This definitely is tart. I was surprised my wife took to it so well, but she downed it quickly and happily. I savored mine a bit more, but it was a pleasure to have. A nice tart beer with just hints of fruity sweetness to keep me sipping.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%

2008 vintage. These have black caps. Purchased yesterday at the brewery. Pours into my glass a deep, vibrant purple/red color with a few light bubbles on top and no real head to speak of. Somewhat hazy. The colors from the real blueberries really shines through. Aromas of light grain malt bathed in a barnyard funkiness. Sour acetic notes mix in with fresh fruity blueberry notes and oak. Pretty nice, but its a bit mellow compared to traditional Belgian counterparts.

First sip brings a light crisp grain upfront that leads way to a fruity blueberry flavor. Sour, acidic notes move in with the trademark lambic, barnyard funkiness. Vinous notes on the way down with mild oak astringency. Not as sour as expected and nearly non-existent carbonation. Maybe some age will help this?

Mouthfeel is light and smooth here. Goes down easy with a subtle puckering sourness. I have to fault this particular bottle as it almost had no carbonation whatsoever. I'm really hoping my other blueberry bottle doesn't have this problem, as it does take away from the overall brew. Cheers to Upland for creating all these lambics!

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Certainly a blueberry hue to it, no better way to describe it. Smallish head shares that hue, almost no lacing.

Smell: I am really just not a fan of the yeast Upland uses, it bothers me on every single Upland beer I taste, it adds what seems like wet cardboard flavors and smells to it. Light tartness to it and certainly some faint blueberry behind the wet cardboard.

Taste: Again I get the wet cardboard I find in all their beers, like an old book that is dam, followed by a light tartness, oak, must/dust and blueberries. Faint pepper tastes as well. I wish this was a bit more blueberry-forward, I think that would be much more enjoyable (similar to say Cantillon lou pepe kriek). There is a slight jammy element to it that is enjoyable, although you can't pin that part of it on blueberry.

Mouthfeel: this one does have a good full mouthfeel, probably from tannins in the blueberries.

Drinkability: Nice to try but I won't be seeking this one out. I like the ideas they are trying but they need to work on the execution, up the berry content, and remove the wet book/cardboard aromas and tastes.

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed on 6.13 included in an epic tasting. From notes. Batch 1.

Much better than the peach. Beautiful blue color with a periwinkle frothy head. Wow it actually has some carbonation. We all noted that this had more of an "authentic" blueberry flavor rather than what some of us found to be artificial fruit flavors in some of the other lambics we tried. Relatively low acidity- especially compared to a lot of the other beers we sampled. I would definitely like to try this again in the future, although from what I hear the subsequent batches weren't as good.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

Received as part of a freaking awesome trade with Bobby91w ... Bobby threw down in a big way. Thanks homeboy and I hope you're safe... Thanks for serving.

Shared this with a few of the Boise peeps a while back... reviewed from paper notes.

No head really.. the brew is sorta a lightly hazed deep red/purple .. surprise surprise.. Sorta looks like a Pinot Noir in my little glass.

Nose has a bright blueberry essence and a mild funk to it.. more dusty than really funky ... tart fruits tend to dominate.

Flavor mirrors the nose with a tannic element to it that I assume comes from the fruit skins (doesn't strike me as oak tannins) .. there is some oakiness to it that adds more of a vanilla component.. some acetic notes add complexity.. The body is lite with a very lite carbonation.. if the carbonation was dialed in, I think this would be very nice... The funk never really translates on the palate... However, I could have easily enjoyed this entire bottle over a couple of hours.

I think the funky yeast and bacteria probably didn't have the appropriate time to really do the damage they do. If I still had one, I would age it for a couple of years before breaking it out again.

What I truly appreciated about this beer is the "real fruit" character.. there is no mistaking it.. reminds me of the distilled essence of the blueberry pie at the diner in my home town.

I actually really enjoyed this brew for what it is. Don't try to compare it to a traditional fruit lambic.. it just doesn't stand up, but the bones are there and I hope to be lucky enough to score this batch and future batches again.

If you're reading this, and have an extra bottle... please contact me.... no joke. Message me now, before you go back to work, to bed, take a nap, or check your beermails... message me now.

Edit: Again... big thanks to Bobby91w ... Bobby is a great trader.

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful reddish blue. Blueberry sours always have the most unique appearance. Nice head but unlike most Uplands this one doesn't gush.

Smells like a shitload of mouth numbing, medicinal brett and some fruity sourness that is possibly but not necessarily recognizable as blueberry. Fairly appealing actually.

Disappointing flavor...the initial burst of sour brett and mild fruitiness is pretty standard Upland, but it doesn't follow through with as much fruit as I'd like and the aftertaste is kindof off--super bretty in a kind of medicinal vitamin like way. Pretty good while in the mouth, but needs more fruit flavor and could do without the odd finish.

Nice well carbonated mouthfeel.

I like this beer, but expected better. This is the least good of the Upland lambics, and probably the least fruity. Especially disappointing since blueberry is my favorite fruit! Still a good beer but it ain't no blabaer.

3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a corked 750ml bottle and served in a tulip. This beer poured a hazy, dark red with a thin head of pinkish/tan foam that quickly faded into a thin film. A small amount of slippery lacing was left behind. The aroma consisted of oak, sugary blueberries, and a hint of funkiness. The flavor was made up of muted blueberry notes, wet wood, and a very light brettiness. Finished mostly dry, but was not very acidic or puckering. The mouthfeel was light-bodied and minimally carbonated. Almost still. Goes down like uncarbonated fruit juice. After trying their strawberry lambic, this was a bit of a letdown.

3.45/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Kevin for sharing!

A- Body is a cloudy, dynamic, dark fuschia hue. Pour is completely flat with no resemblence of a head.

S- Nose is full of berries-blueberry, raspberry-mostly sweet but slightly sour. Fruit is all Im getting here.

T-Flavor is quite fruity with lots of berry flavor coming through as well as a hint of bready yeast in the backbone. Flavor is consistent throughout and good-but pretty simple overall.

M-low carbonation and a thin slightly watery body.

D- Consumed in a tasting with several blueberry lambics and this-though a decent, enjoyable brew overall-was the at the bottom. Great opportunity to try this rare brew-but there are many others out there much better.

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%

Big thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark grapefruit purple color with no head and a hazy depth to it.

S-fertilizer up front, notes of cheese, touch of barnyard funk, blueberries in the back.

T-pretty sweet, lots of blueberries throughout with a light tartness to accompany. there is a hint of fertilizer in the middle, a very faint funk, some more sweetness in the back and a little watery.

M-soft, smooth, and a little thin, light body and light on the carbonation with a touch of crispness in the finish.

D-not bad, drinkin after blabaer so pales in comparison. quite sweet and lacking the tartness I was hoping for. little complexity as well. not bad, but falls well short of the previous beer.

3.37/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to Verecund for this one. Poured from a capped and corked 750ml bottle into a crystal snifter. Shared with schen9303. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours nearly still with a couple of bubbles stirring atop the brew. No head, no lacing. Beer is a deep, clear purplish-pink that reveals slight bubbles of carbonation.

S: Nose is simple and mildly aromatic but very deep. Crushed blueberries and oak from beginning to end.

T: Taste is spot on with the nose. Blueberry from beginning to finish. Crisp and clean at the end which gets deeper and deeper as the beer warms in the mouth. Slight semblance of funkiness right towards the middle to end. No tartness whatsoever, this one resembles more of a well-made blueberry fruit beer than a lambic. Barrel-aging is not at all apparent. Finishes fruity with a juicy, blueberry aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and with very little carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and messy and slightly dry at the finish and going down. Aftertaste lingers for a bit.

D: This one is honestly a bit of a disappointment. Not much of a lambic in any sense. No tartness, not really dry, and -bal effect is almost completely missing. A great fruit beer if it were described as such but in the category that it is, average to below average overall.

3.37/5  rDev -11.1%

2009 version -- thanks to lightindarkness for picking this up at the brewery well over a year ago.

a - pours a deep ruby color, no head, just a few bubbles up top, somewhat hazy

s - really funky aroma, much different from any other sour ale I've had, kind of reminiscent of a bad milk, light blueberry and oak aromas

t - moderately tart and sour up front with only a light blueberry flavor, fairly vinegary and acidic, not as funky on the palate as in the nose, but nice barnyard flavors along with light oak on the finish

m - medium to light bodied, minimal carbonation, light sweetness on the finish

d - not overly drinkable for the style, not too harsh on the palate, but not as complex or pleasing, really

Another interesting lambic from Upland, but nothing really spectacular. Would be great to get a little more of the blueberry character - perhaps these flavors diminished over the past year. If only I could get a Blabaer to compare.

Blueberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company