Blueberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: emerge077 on 01-01-2008

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at the Revenge Of Instant Replay bottleshare held at Instant Replay in Canoga Park, CA.

Bottled 10/30/13. Batch 2.08.

Pours a murky dark reddish-purple with a foamy reddish-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, berry, and acidic aromas. Taste is much the same with sour berry and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has a fairly one dimensional aspect with the sourness. (724 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, blue/purple tinged copper color with a minimal head that collars around the glass. Nice aroma with notes of tart blueberry, fruit, and slight acetone. Light mouthfeel. The blueberry isn’t as good as what I wanted. Not overly sour. Not too carbonated and wish it had a touch more. Some apple fruit notes as well. (356 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%

750ml
$15.00
Upland Brewery

Upland's Blueberry Lambic pours burgundy with the look of fruit juice when backlit, glowing red with a purple tint. An aggressive pour only yielded a thin, mostly bubbled head that quickly fizzled out to absolutely nothing. This lambic looks almost still but when backlit I notice a couple streams of very slow moving carbonation. Not a very good start.

The aroma is faint. The blueberries are mildly noticeable and are both sweet and somewhat peppery. The nose is slightly acetic with a sharp note here ad there of blueberry although that's not all that often. Pretty straightforward aroma but I enjoy what's there. The tartness is minimal in the nose.

The flavor comes along nicely and this beer seems to get better as I drink. There's a mild peppery note right off the bat (from the blueberries) with a dry woodiness mid-palate that lingers through the finish. The blueberry adds a touch of sweet but only for a second. Notes of red wine vinegar pop up here and there that are tart but don't quite reach sour. Slight lactic sourness as well but it's tough to pick out. I'd love to see more sourness on this lambic it's pretty good where it is.

The body at first seemed much too watery but as I drink it seems to pick up a little slickness and a mild tartness sticks to my cheeks. The body is on the lighter side of the spectrum and moves fairly quickly.

I can and have been putting this beer away pretty easily. The light body and tartness keep the glass tilted in the pouring position.

I have to say this lambic was a bit of a disappointment. The flavor is there but the lack of carbonation really knocks this one back on most categories. A few more bubbles and this would have been a really good beer. (1,741 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

750ml bottle poured into some wine glasses.

A- Dark blue sort of purple looking beer here. A hard pour yielded nothing in terms of head, with no head comes no lace.

S- A nice blueberry scent with some earthiness and very mild tart scents. Nothing in terms of malts or hops, just blueberries, low sour and some accidity.

T- One of the best blueberry beers i've had because I don't get many. This one tastes good but really is not that all complex. Some slight funky yeasty things going on. The berries are the forefront but are not overpowering. Taste like tart fruit juice.

M&D- Well this one is flat as can be. Nothing lively under the tounge which takes away from the drinkability. It has a nice taste but the lack of any ummphh keeps me from wanting more. (762 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

I picked up all of the four flavors of the new Upland Lambics. This is my second favorite. This beer is my first experience with lambics. I really enjoy the tart flavor and the bits of fruit in the brew. The taste is there but the sour taste distracts from the flavor. Its fairly drinkable. It just makes it hard on the tongue to drink more than half a bottle! ;-)

Overall, its a good beer with a nice flavor and tart taste. Its a little pricey at 15 bucks a 750mL but its still fun never the less. (499 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

I had higher hopes for this lambic, but it's just decent rather than transcendent. Pours a beautiful purple, but with no head. Stemmy blueberries on the nose with quite an impact. The aroma fades on the finish. Not quite as lush as I'd like. A little thin and sour to start as far as the taste goes, but the blueberries make an appearance toward the finish as nice, clean fruit. The mouthfeel is thin and a little sour. A little perfumy overall, and a bit stemmy. Could be lush, or could be bracingly sour, but it straddles those lines without really deciding which direction it would like to go and without making a statement. Somewhat pleasant, but could be so much more. (673 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml capped and corked bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple with pretty much no head at all. It smells tart, like oak, blueberries, and some funk and vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, I can taste vinegar, blueberries, oak, and some vanilla. However, the taste is subtle, and I wish it had a little more kick to it. Mouthfeel is thin, seems a bit watery to me. Not much carbonation either, however there is some slickness which is nice. Drinkability is decent, it's not hard to drink at all. I think it's an OK enough beer, but there's definitely some room for improvement with this. I'll have to try another batch in the future and see how it is. (672 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Bottled 09/27/2010. Batch 42-09.

3.5 A: Deep amber, almost plum color. Three fingers of pinkish purple head with soda-like retention and no lacing. I got some yeasties at the bottle of my first glass.

4.0 S: Not surprisingly, this is full of blueberry. The big fruitiness is acccompanied by a healthy bit of oak, subtle vanilla and tannic astringency, and (mainly) tangy lactic acidity

3.5 T: The taste is good, but not any better than that. Again, plenty of blueberry, but only a fraction of what the nose suggests. Otherwise, this is very dry with very little complexity and only a mild acidity. Not much in terms of acetic acid, but some tangy lactic acid. Oak and vanilla again. Despite the simplicity, I still like it for the blueberry burst it offers.

3.5 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The carbonation isn't as "active" as I'd like and the body isn't thick enough to yield a good creaminess.

3.5 D: By no means a bad beer, but easily the worst out of the four offered for this release. Big hit of blueberry, but not much else. (1,119 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kstrickler for muling this!

Poured a respectably carbonated clear blue into my old school grandma glass. not much lacing or head present.

Smell of sweet acid and some mild czech hop with blueberries and oak.

Taste of fresh blueberries, oaky funk and battery acid. There is not a ton of body to it, in fact it feels pretty light in mouthfeel for the style. The funk got slightly stronger towards the end for two reasons being that there were more particulate matter at the bottom and because it had warmed up a little bit. It starts of extremely refreshingly good tasting of blueberries and light sweet lambic. As it warmed, more of the gueuze flavors become prominent and made me respect Upland a little more for getting a good quality flavored lambic out in the middle of the US. There was a slight dry / tart finish to it which is expected for the style.

A nice blueberry lambic. The first I have had, next for Blauw to compare head to head with LeBlue possibly. (981 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Andrewinski1 was generous enough to share this one with me. Poured into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy shade of violet with about a finger of lighter colored head. Kind of a sweet batter aroma to this. Andy said it kind of reminds him of blueberry pancake batter and I think that is spot on. It's slightly tart in the aroma with a decent balance of sweetness. The taste is a bit on the subtle side. Barely tart and barely sweet. It's kind of the Switzerland of beers. I really like the nice light body but I think the carbonation is a bit much. Overall, I dig this. It kind of underwhelms but I'll still stand by it as a sound effort. (634 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4%

This beer was generously shared by backfat at Goose Island's Stout Fest, thanks Dave! I had really been looking forward to trying this after having the other three lambics from Upland's December release. This beer poured a murky violet in color with a light off white head which laced the glass. It had red rose highlights when put up to the light. The aromas let me down. I wanted blueberry, any blueberry. All I could pick up were other dark fruits, tart and sour notes, and funk. It had this lactic acid acidity which threw me off. I didn't get any blueberry at all. Nooo! The flavor kind of let me down too. It featured a fruity, marmalade like sweetness initially before fading into a sour and tart dark fruity potpourri. God, I just wanted some blueberries. Again it had this lactic component which really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I was getting moody, I don't know. It drank with the consistency I prefer in a lambic but left behind this odd after taste that their other lambics have. I don't think I'm a fan of the yeast that Upland uses for their lambics. Something was off on this one. I still have a bottle so I guess I'll save it for awhile. Hopefully that bottle is a better experience.

Update: I shared a second bottle of this last night with my girlfriend. This bottle actually did give off slight and subtle blueberry aromas. They were still disappointing but at least they were present. The flavor too only gave slight blueberry, leaving me wanting more prominent blueberry. (1,497 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Bottled on 9/27/10. Batch 42-09.

Split this with my wife, poured my allotment into a large wine glass. Pours a dark purple-tinted crimson. Very thick-looking. Lots of sediment in the glass. A small pinkish head sits atop, but dies out quickly. The aroma is funkified. Sweat, locker room - just downright funky. Faint blueberry tones noted, but way overpowered by the funkiness of this crimson delicacy.

Mild carbonation on the palate. Finishes decent enough. Dries out on the finish. Puckeringly tart blueberries in the flavor. Sour lemon-like citrus, yeast, lactic-acid wrinkling the palate a bit, more funky flavors. This definitely is tart. I was surprised my wife took to it so well, but she downed it quickly and happily. I savored mine a bit more, but it was a pleasure to have. A nice tart beer with just hints of fruity sweetness to keep me sipping. (860 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -4.3%

2008 vintage. These have black caps. Purchased yesterday at the brewery. Pours into my glass a deep, vibrant purple/red color with a few light bubbles on top and no real head to speak of. Somewhat hazy. The colors from the real blueberries really shines through. Aromas of light grain malt bathed in a barnyard funkiness. Sour acetic notes mix in with fresh fruity blueberry notes and oak. Pretty nice, but its a bit mellow compared to traditional Belgian counterparts.

First sip brings a light crisp grain upfront that leads way to a fruity blueberry flavor. Sour, acidic notes move in with the trademark lambic, barnyard funkiness. Vinous notes on the way down with mild oak astringency. Not as sour as expected and nearly non-existent carbonation. Maybe some age will help this?

Mouthfeel is light and smooth here. Goes down easy with a subtle puckering sourness. I have to fault this particular bottle as it almost had no carbonation whatsoever. I'm really hoping my other blueberry bottle doesn't have this problem, as it does take away from the overall brew. Cheers to Upland for creating all these lambics! (1,115 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Certainly a blueberry hue to it, no better way to describe it. Smallish head shares that hue, almost no lacing.

Smell: I am really just not a fan of the yeast Upland uses, it bothers me on every single Upland beer I taste, it adds what seems like wet cardboard flavors and smells to it. Light tartness to it and certainly some faint blueberry behind the wet cardboard.

Taste: Again I get the wet cardboard I find in all their beers, like an old book that is dam, followed by a light tartness, oak, must/dust and blueberries. Faint pepper tastes as well. I wish this was a bit more blueberry-forward, I think that would be much more enjoyable (similar to say Cantillon lou pepe kriek). There is a slight jammy element to it that is enjoyable, although you can't pin that part of it on blueberry.

Mouthfeel: this one does have a good full mouthfeel, probably from tannins in the blueberries.

Drinkability: Nice to try but I won't be seeking this one out. I like the ideas they are trying but they need to work on the execution, up the berry content, and remove the wet book/cardboard aromas and tastes. (1,116 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed on 6.13 included in an epic tasting. From notes. Batch 1.

Much better than the peach. Beautiful blue color with a periwinkle frothy head. Wow it actually has some carbonation. We all noted that this had more of an "authentic" blueberry flavor rather than what some of us found to be artificial fruit flavors in some of the other lambics we tried. Relatively low acidity- especially compared to a lot of the other beers we sampled. I would definitely like to try this again in the future, although from what I hear the subsequent batches weren't as good. (563 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

Received as part of a freaking awesome trade with Bobby91w ... Bobby threw down in a big way. Thanks homeboy and I hope you're safe... Thanks for serving.

Shared this with a few of the Boise peeps a while back... reviewed from paper notes.

No head really.. the brew is sorta a lightly hazed deep red/purple .. surprise surprise.. Sorta looks like a Pinot Noir in my little glass.

Nose has a bright blueberry essence and a mild funk to it.. more dusty than really funky ... tart fruits tend to dominate.

Flavor mirrors the nose with a tannic element to it that I assume comes from the fruit skins (doesn't strike me as oak tannins) .. there is some oakiness to it that adds more of a vanilla component.. some acetic notes add complexity.. The body is lite with a very lite carbonation.. if the carbonation was dialed in, I think this would be very nice... The funk never really translates on the palate... However, I could have easily enjoyed this entire bottle over a couple of hours.

I think the funky yeast and bacteria probably didn't have the appropriate time to really do the damage they do. If I still had one, I would age it for a couple of years before breaking it out again.

What I truly appreciated about this beer is the "real fruit" character.. there is no mistaking it.. reminds me of the distilled essence of the blueberry pie at the diner in my home town.

I actually really enjoyed this brew for what it is. Don't try to compare it to a traditional fruit lambic.. it just doesn't stand up, but the bones are there and I hope to be lucky enough to score this batch and future batches again.

If you're reading this, and have an extra bottle... please contact me.... no joke. Message me now, before you go back to work, to bed, take a nap, or check your beermails... message me now.

3/3.5/3.5/3/4

Edit: Again... big thanks to Bobby91w ... Bobby is a great trader. (1,886 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful reddish blue. Blueberry sours always have the most unique appearance. Nice head but unlike most Uplands this one doesn't gush.

Smells like a shitload of mouth numbing, medicinal brett and some fruity sourness that is possibly but not necessarily recognizable as blueberry. Fairly appealing actually.

Disappointing flavor...the initial burst of sour brett and mild fruitiness is pretty standard Upland, but it doesn't follow through with as much fruit as I'd like and the aftertaste is kindof off--super bretty in a kind of medicinal vitamin like way. Pretty good while in the mouth, but needs more fruit flavor and could do without the odd finish.

Nice well carbonated mouthfeel.

I like this beer, but expected better. This is the least good of the Upland lambics, and probably the least fruity. Especially disappointing since blueberry is my favorite fruit! Still a good beer but it ain't no blabaer.

6.9/10 (931 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a corked 750ml bottle and served in a tulip. This beer poured a hazy, dark red with a thin head of pinkish/tan foam that quickly faded into a thin film. A small amount of slippery lacing was left behind. The aroma consisted of oak, sugary blueberries, and a hint of funkiness. The flavor was made up of muted blueberry notes, wet wood, and a very light brettiness. Finished mostly dry, but was not very acidic or puckering. The mouthfeel was light-bodied and minimally carbonated. Almost still. Goes down like uncarbonated fruit juice. After trying their strawberry lambic, this was a bit of a letdown. (614 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Kevin for sharing!

A- Body is a cloudy, dynamic, dark fuschia hue. Pour is completely flat with no resemblence of a head.

S- Nose is full of berries-blueberry, raspberry-mostly sweet but slightly sour. Fruit is all Im getting here.

T-Flavor is quite fruity with lots of berry flavor coming through as well as a hint of bready yeast in the backbone. Flavor is consistent throughout and good-but pretty simple overall.

M-low carbonation and a thin slightly watery body.

D- Consumed in a tasting with several blueberry lambics and this-though a decent, enjoyable brew overall-was the at the bottom. Great opportunity to try this rare brew-but there are many others out there much better. (696 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -8.3%

Big thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark grapefruit purple color with no head and a hazy depth to it.

S-fertilizer up front, notes of cheese, touch of barnyard funk, blueberries in the back.

T-pretty sweet, lots of blueberries throughout with a light tartness to accompany. there is a hint of fertilizer in the middle, a very faint funk, some more sweetness in the back and a little watery.

M-soft, smooth, and a little thin, light body and light on the carbonation with a touch of crispness in the finish.

D-not bad, drinkin after blabaer so pales in comparison. quite sweet and lacking the tartness I was hoping for. little complexity as well. not bad, but falls well short of the previous beer. (718 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to Verecund for this one. Poured from a capped and corked 750ml bottle into a crystal snifter. Shared with schen9303. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours nearly still with a couple of bubbles stirring atop the brew. No head, no lacing. Beer is a deep, clear purplish-pink that reveals slight bubbles of carbonation.

S: Nose is simple and mildly aromatic but very deep. Crushed blueberries and oak from beginning to end.

T: Taste is spot on with the nose. Blueberry from beginning to finish. Crisp and clean at the end which gets deeper and deeper as the beer warms in the mouth. Slight semblance of funkiness right towards the middle to end. No tartness whatsoever, this one resembles more of a well-made blueberry fruit beer than a lambic. Barrel-aging is not at all apparent. Finishes fruity with a juicy, blueberry aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and with very little carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and messy and slightly dry at the finish and going down. Aftertaste lingers for a bit.

D: This one is honestly a bit of a disappointment. Not much of a lambic in any sense. No tartness, not really dry, and -bal effect is almost completely missing. A great fruit beer if it were described as such but in the category that it is, average to below average overall. (1,281 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

2009 version -- thanks to lightindarkness for picking this up at the brewery well over a year ago.

a - pours a deep ruby color, no head, just a few bubbles up top, somewhat hazy

s - really funky aroma, much different from any other sour ale I've had, kind of reminiscent of a bad milk, light blueberry and oak aromas

t - moderately tart and sour up front with only a light blueberry flavor, fairly vinegary and acidic, not as funky on the palate as in the nose, but nice barnyard flavors along with light oak on the finish

m - medium to light bodied, minimal carbonation, light sweetness on the finish

d - not overly drinkable for the style, not too harsh on the palate, but not as complex or pleasing, really

Another interesting lambic from Upland, but nothing really spectacular. Would be great to get a little more of the blueberry character - perhaps these flavors diminished over the past year. If only I could get a Blabaer to compare. (947 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

Beer poured into a Russian River wine glass. Beer is awesome, seriously, looks great. It's purple, like you'd expect, it has a decent head with some staying power, it's carbonated but definitely not overcarbonated. It is steady and wonderful.

Aroma is VERY INTERESTING. It literally smells like blueberry pie. It has this sweet, blueberry, biscuit aroma, I can almost smell the crust too. It is a trip. The lactic character in the aroma is underplayed...which does this beer a dis-service.

The lactic is underplayed because the beer itself is not very sour unfortunately. I'm really rooting for Uplands but so far their lambics have been mediocre. Beer is thin with only a hint of tartness at the corners and back with nothing really to prop up the rest of the beer. It is nearly a flavorless lambic. (802 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Capped and corked old batch. Thank you for giving me this bottle Chad! Sampled alongside the other seven fruit lambics.

A: Not a gusher (like most of the other flavors)! Pours a murky deep amber color with a short lived reddish hued head.
S: A very interesting nose with hints of blueberry fruit, blueberry jam or pie filling, fermented ripened fruits. No citrus in this one.
T: Almost woody, no acid (except maybe a twinge in the finish). A touch of citrus up front followed by a bit of mild blueberry. Hard to pick out the fruit.
M: Faintly tart, very mellow, almost muted flavors. Medium body, lower carbonation than the other flavors.
O: Very mellow. Tastes its age. Blueberry is a tough flavor to begin with though. Thanks again cpferris! (748 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled 10/30/2013.

Appearance - Looks like juice. Murky purple. No head.

Smell - Smells like it's gonna be sour. Sharp acidity. Wood. Some blueberry, but it's not very strong and not very distinct.

Taste - Strong berry flavor. Really sour. Lemon sourness. Berry flavor comes back as its own sour and oaky flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Way too sour for me. Medium light body and medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's a flavorful beer, but overly sour. (508 characters)

Blueberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company