Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blueberry Lambic - Upland Brewing Company

Blueberry LambicBlueberry Lambic

good

Upland Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

Beer added by: emerge077 on 01-01-2008

3.27/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours very little head. Color is a hazed pale purple pinkish color.

Aroma: Blueberries, brett, and other bugs. Oak, some sourness. Pretty straight forward.

Taste: More sourness than blueberries. Oak and spike. Some malts. Straightforward sour.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Light bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, an easy drinking sour. Nothing special, but still very enjoyable. I have liked the others a bit better, but I do like this one. (471 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +16.8%

poured into a tulip

A: Beer is a dark purple color. About 1/2 inch worth of frothy dull pink head that disappears in a moment.

S: Smell of fresh blueberries. Missing a little something that other lambics have. Earthy smell perhaps.

T: Tart blueberries at first, then comes the funk you acspect from your lambic. Blueberries are sweet, but not sicking sweet. I would imagine with some age you would get less sweet and more funky.

M: Very light. Well carbonated. Left me with a drier than normal feel, very similar to a dry red wine.

O: It was a bit pricy around $18.00, I'm sure I have had better for less. But, I would still recommend this beer to any lover of blueberries and sours. Give it some age and it could blow you away. I'm going to hold on to one for a year and see what I think this time next year. (817 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. Big thanks to Rempo for this. Bottled 09/27/2010. Batch 42-09.

3.5 A: Deep amber, almost plum color. Three fingers of pinkish purple head with soda-like retention and no lacing. I got some yeasties at the bottle of my first glass.

4.0 S: Not surprisingly, this is full of blueberry. The big fruitiness is acccompanied by a healthy bit of oak, subtle vanilla and tannic astringency, and (mainly) tangy lactic acidity

3.5 T: The taste is good, but not any better than that. Again, plenty of blueberry, but only a fraction of what the nose suggests. Otherwise, this is very dry with very little complexity and only a mild acidity. Not much in terms of acetic acid, but some tangy lactic acid. Oak and vanilla again. Despite the simplicity, I still like it for the blueberry burst it offers.

3.5 M: Lighter medium to medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The carbonation isn't as "active" as I'd like and the body isn't thick enough to yield a good creaminess.

3.5 D: By no means a bad beer, but easily the worst out of the four offered for this release. Big hit of blueberry, but not much else. (1,119 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks Dan for sharing this to have a counterpoint to LeBleu. Very greatly appreciated.

My first Upland beer, and it was a good one, Blueberry Lambic. The beer is a ruddy purple-red, cloudy with particulates, it looks like freshly crushed blueberry juice. The beer smells wonderful, pouring out a bouquet of fresh squeezed blueberries. However, the lambic part of this equation is missing, the lack of sour funkiness in the nose was a pretty good indication that those flavors were probably missing in the taste. This proved to be true as the blueberry was the center point of the beer. I have expected to find blueberry skins and seeds in the bottle of my glass! The fresh berry sweetness and tannins were there and well in balance. The acidity was present, but much more restrained than I expected from a lambic, it tasted more like tartness from the berries and not from the wild bugs. I wonder if another couple years in the bottle would really develop the brett/lacto/pedio character in the beer.

The beer was a little undercarbonated for my tastes as I find the bubbles help carry the fruit aromas and flavors while adding acidity. CO2 also makes the beer seem brighter and more lively. Overall this was a delicious beer, but I think more lambic aroma and taste would really take this over the top. Perhaps what this beer is more time in barrels to give the critters a chance to break down even more of the sugars, as I tasted a tiny bit of residual sweetness. I think that more time before fruit addition would help get more wildness and sourness in the beer. (1,568 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer is a dark red/purplish color. A little murky. About 1 fingers worth of frothy light pink head that dissipates rather quickly.

S.

Aroma of fresh blueberries with a little brett. I could use more of the brett...that musty barn, horse blanket associated with your traditional lambics but still blows a lindeman's out of the water.

T.

sour blueberries up front, moving on to a little of the funk associated with a lambic. Some very slight sweetness to the blueberries but not overpowering. I opened a blueberry back in December and that one had a more pronounced blueberry taste than this. I was hoping for a little more barnyardy taste but maybe it needs more age?

M.

light bodied...carbonation kind of fell flat, which was surprising as I thought it had decent carbonation from the pour. I could use a little more of that effervescent feel in the mouth as well. Slightly dry finish but there is that little bit of sweetness that makes it like a dry wine.

O.

For the price, availability and taste I think I'd rather grab some 3F or Cantillon in Chicago and pay a little more. I remember having this a couple months back and thinking it was great. I got slight more blueberry and the funkiness was more pronounced. Maybe my palate has changed and I'm getting used to that brett, funkiness...who knows

(*after checking out my other reviews for the upland beers, my palate definitely has changed. I gave the strawberry not so high marks because it was more brett than fruit. this one didn't have enough brett..I've been lucky enough to have a lot of good authentic lambics and I enjoy them more and more each time*)

....I think more carbonation may have made this a little better for me. (1,726 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

750mL corked & caged bottle poured into a tulip. Recent batch. Huge thanks to Kyle for sharing!

(A)- Pours a deep ruby red, almost blue color and produced some white foam/bubbles.

(S)- Some nice dry dark fruits. Mild funk and tartness. Plenty of Brett coming up.

(T)- Again, dry and very brett-driven in the funk category. Nice tart fruits and sourness.

(M)- A nice carbonation level and balance. Lots of a funk driven Brett character in this. Nice tartness of the fruits.

(D)- A nice lambic. I look forward to see what time will do, but this is quite nice coming from the states. (586 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer was generously shared by backfat at Goose Island's Stout Fest, thanks Dave! I had really been looking forward to trying this after having the other three lambics from Upland's December release. This beer poured a murky violet in color with a light off white head which laced the glass. It had red rose highlights when put up to the light. The aromas let me down. I wanted blueberry, any blueberry. All I could pick up were other dark fruits, tart and sour notes, and funk. It had this lactic acid acidity which threw me off. I didn't get any blueberry at all. Nooo! The flavor kind of let me down too. It featured a fruity, marmalade like sweetness initially before fading into a sour and tart dark fruity potpourri. God, I just wanted some blueberries. Again it had this lactic component which really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I was getting moody, I don't know. It drank with the consistency I prefer in a lambic but left behind this odd after taste that their other lambics have. I don't think I'm a fan of the yeast that Upland uses for their lambics. Something was off on this one. I still have a bottle so I guess I'll save it for awhile. Hopefully that bottle is a better experience.

Update: I shared a second bottle of this last night with my girlfriend. This bottle actually did give off slight and subtle blueberry aromas. They were still disappointing but at least they were present. The flavor too only gave slight blueberry, leaving me wanting more prominent blueberry. (1,497 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Andrewinski1 was generous enough to share this one with me. Poured into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy shade of violet with about a finger of lighter colored head. Kind of a sweet batter aroma to this. Andy said it kind of reminds him of blueberry pancake batter and I think that is spot on. It's slightly tart in the aroma with a decent balance of sweetness. The taste is a bit on the subtle side. Barely tart and barely sweet. It's kind of the Switzerland of beers. I really like the nice light body but I think the carbonation is a bit much. Overall, I dig this. It kind of underwhelms but I'll still stand by it as a sound effort. (634 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottled on 09-27-10. Batch 42-09

Poured into a tulip. Nice mauve color. Not quite hazy but not exactly clear either. I can see a few bubbles racing upwards to a light-lavender lacing. There is a bit of stickiness.

The smell immediately reminds me of blueberry pancakes. A nice amount of sweetness is noticed among the powerful blueberry aroma.

The taste is very dry, and there is a lot of cracker and biscuit flavor here. The finish is dry and reminiscent of croutons. The tart blueberry flavor resides somewhere in the middle, but only to leave a bit of medicinal flavor. The aftertaste reminds me a little bit of burnt rubber.

I like the lively mouthfeel. The sharpness of the bubbles works well with wild ales. Not a terrible beer but it noticeably falls short of other similar versions. My 8 ounce share is enough for me, and I'll enjoy it. (848 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%

C&C'd 750ml bottle served in Hoegaarden tumbler.

Big ups to robwestcott for sending this my way!

A: Cork comes off w/ a pop. Bottle wants to gush, but thankfully I'm prepared w/ glass in hand. Pours a lovely deep, dark purple hue. Looks almost like sangria. Murky and translucent. Two fingers worth of pink head initially, that quickly dwindles to a thin layer. The color of the beer is really quite beautiful. Streams of carbonation continually make their way from the bottom to the surface. Very pleasing.

S: As soon as the cork came off I was hit w/ juicy sweet and tart scents and a nice dose of funk. Scent is decidedly blueberry. Plenty of sour. Based on the initial burst of aroma I expected a bit more. Not bad.

T: Juicy sweetness up front. Soft blueberry flavor and suggestions of raspberry and blackberry. Moderately tart flavors of green apple, pear, and perhaps white grape. Initially I picked up a little astringency in the finish, but several sips later I'm no longer finding this negative quality. No where near the sourness of Drie Fonteinen or Cantillon, but tart enough that it works. Not terribly complex, but this is a solid lambic. Loads of fruit flavor in this young bottle. I would suggest drinking this sooner than later in order to take full advantage of this blueberry tastiness.

M: Could be a little fuller. This beer would benefit from a little more spritzy carbonation. Not bad, but room for improvement.

D: High in my opinion. No problem finishing this 750 on my own. The flavors are interesting and the lack of a biting sourness means you can drink quite a bit of this.

My first offering from Upland and it is a good one. These seem to be fairly well sought after, but the reviews can go either way. I can say that the '10 version of Blueberry is legit. The best American fruit beers are still made by New Glarus, but Upland may be on to something. Low bottle counts make it difficult, but try this if you can without giving up the farm. (1,977 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Certainly a blueberry hue to it, no better way to describe it. Smallish head shares that hue, almost no lacing.

Smell: I am really just not a fan of the yeast Upland uses, it bothers me on every single Upland beer I taste, it adds what seems like wet cardboard flavors and smells to it. Light tartness to it and certainly some faint blueberry behind the wet cardboard.

Taste: Again I get the wet cardboard I find in all their beers, like an old book that is dam, followed by a light tartness, oak, must/dust and blueberries. Faint pepper tastes as well. I wish this was a bit more blueberry-forward, I think that would be much more enjoyable (similar to say Cantillon lou pepe kriek). There is a slight jammy element to it that is enjoyable, although you can't pin that part of it on blueberry.

Mouthfeel: this one does have a good full mouthfeel, probably from tannins in the blueberries.

Drinkability: Nice to try but I won't be seeking this one out. I like the ideas they are trying but they need to work on the execution, up the berry content, and remove the wet book/cardboard aromas and tastes. (1,116 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

This was a new beer for me. I didn't personally buy any of the lambics from Upland, so thanks to kruthar for hooking me up with a taste!

The beer didn't really look all that great, a nice red color to it. The smell was definitely fruity and sour, and I was excited to try it. Got a nice hit of blueberry flavor, just like you'd expect, and then it quickly dissipated, and I was left with just the sour aftertaste of the lambic. Overall, it had a really good flavor, but I just wish it would have lasted a little longer. Pretty smooth to put down, I just don't think I'd want to drink blueberries all day. (605 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Figured I would pop open one of my two bottles of this. After a hefty battle with the cork... pours a very nice reddish/purple. Looks pretty cool. Smell is full of blueberries with a slight lactic sourness. As other reviews state, it does remind me of blueberry cobbler. Taste is actually a good balance of sweet and sour. I would prefer it to be more sour, but the taste of tart blueberries is excellent. This is definitely not in the same league as most belgian lambics... but if you take it for what it is, it's damn tasty. Mouthfeel is a little lacking, pretty thin. Drinkability is high, I had no trouble finishing the whole 750 myself over the course of an hour or two. Not sure how long I'll hold onto my other bottle, I enjoyed this one a lot. (751 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

From 01/21/11 notes. Brought to a small tasting.

a - Pours a deep red purple color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of blueberry pie, sour fruit, tart, funk, and lactic. I really enjoyed the blueberry pie smell; pretty great.

t - Tastes of blueberry pie, tart blueberries, funk, oak, and tart fruit, and lactic again.

m - Light body and high carbonation.

d - Overall I think this was my favorite of the Uplands we tried that night (we tried Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, and Dantalion). Would love to have again. (557 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -11%

Beer poured into a Russian River wine glass. Beer is awesome, seriously, looks great. It's purple, like you'd expect, it has a decent head with some staying power, it's carbonated but definitely not overcarbonated. It is steady and wonderful.

Aroma is VERY INTERESTING. It literally smells like blueberry pie. It has this sweet, blueberry, biscuit aroma, I can almost smell the crust too. It is a trip. The lactic character in the aroma is underplayed...which does this beer a dis-service.

The lactic is underplayed because the beer itself is not very sour unfortunately. I'm really rooting for Uplands but so far their lambics have been mediocre. Beer is thin with only a hint of tartness at the corners and back with nothing really to prop up the rest of the beer. It is nearly a flavorless lambic. (802 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: The appearance of this beer is beautiful. The beer is the color of pureed blueberries underneath a thin, pink cap of foam that delicately coats the glass with lacing.

S: The aroma is of homemade blueberry pie. The aroma also carries an odd wave of sweet and sour scents that perplexes the olfactories.

T: A lot of fruit really comes through in the flavor. The beer is slightly sweet, and not at all what I had expected. Barrel aging is normally very detectable in both the aroma and the flavor, but I don't get a good sense of that here. Also missing is the funky, wonderful, intriguing scent and taste of lambic. While there are some positive aspects to this beer, the various taste components are too disjunct and lack any sort of cohesion to make this a great fruit lambic.

M: Adequate carbonation and light on the palate.

D: I was honestly a bit disappointed. I was really looking forward to the possibility of another great blueberry lambic, but this one did not deliver. This is a decent beer, and I would be willing to try it again, but I won't seek it out. (1,112 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The best of the Upland Lambics IMHO.

A: Looks awesome. Purplish red color and nice ring of head. Beautiful.

S: Nice blueberry pie with graham cracker sweet buttery crust. The diaceytl butter is in there but it actually works well with the blueberry and tartness of the smell.

T: A ton of fresh blueberry mixes with a slight funky barnyard yeastyness. Not overly sweet but fruity. Yogurtish with some lactose sugar. More sour, and it would neatly be perfect.

M: Smooth and great carbo like the others.

D: Nice. (517 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kstrickler for muling this!

Poured a respectably carbonated clear blue into my old school grandma glass. not much lacing or head present.

Smell of sweet acid and some mild czech hop with blueberries and oak.

Taste of fresh blueberries, oaky funk and battery acid. There is not a ton of body to it, in fact it feels pretty light in mouthfeel for the style. The funk got slightly stronger towards the end for two reasons being that there were more particulate matter at the bottom and because it had warmed up a little bit. It starts of extremely refreshingly good tasting of blueberries and light sweet lambic. As it warmed, more of the gueuze flavors become prominent and made me respect Upland a little more for getting a good quality flavored lambic out in the middle of the US. There was a slight dry / tart finish to it which is expected for the style.

A nice blueberry lambic. The first I have had, next for Blauw to compare head to head with LeBlue possibly. (981 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%

Upland's Blueberry Lambic '10 release was our second tasting in the home collection series. This was brought in by my buddy, 'Lil Bear who was given this beer by my brother & myself as a "Thank You" for driving down to Bloomington with us to pick up our reserved lambics last December. We all agreed it was a little premature to open this bottle so early in the aging process, but it was a grand symbolic gesture we all enjoyed. Poured a fizzy pink/purple. There was a very surface souring that just kinda teased my taste buds. Like I mentioned this may have been too fresh, but that worked well with the fresh Michigan blueberries used in making this drink. My overall impression was of Greek yogurt with unripened blueberries on top. I can't wait to open my second bottle of this in a few more years. (802 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml caged and corked bottle picked up at the brewer by w113raf in a trade. Many thanks again man!

A- Pours a clear violet/purple with a fizzy "light urple" head. Scattered lacing, medium retention. Decent carbonation.
S- Mainly blueberries and slight lactic sourness. Nowhere near as much (if any) barnyard as the Strawberry I had last night.
T- Fresh blueberries and crisp lactic sourness. Very clean flavors, but I wish they were a wee bit more bold and pronounced.
M - Very thin/light body, tart. Not quite watery. Zesty, but not as effervescent as the Strawberry. Dry.
D - High. The Blueberry is an easy drinking lambic, no issues finishing my bottle. Definately got better the more I drank.

Overall - I was a little bit let down with the Strawberry lambic last night, but the Blueberry got me back on track. The fresh blueberry flavor plays well with the lactic backbone, yet I can see this aging well as it gains more sourness. Recommended, and I may be trying to obtain more bottles. (996 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks to Verecund for this one. Poured from a capped and corked 750ml bottle into a crystal snifter. Shared with schen9303. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours nearly still with a couple of bubbles stirring atop the brew. No head, no lacing. Beer is a deep, clear purplish-pink that reveals slight bubbles of carbonation.

S: Nose is simple and mildly aromatic but very deep. Crushed blueberries and oak from beginning to end.

T: Taste is spot on with the nose. Blueberry from beginning to finish. Crisp and clean at the end which gets deeper and deeper as the beer warms in the mouth. Slight semblance of funkiness right towards the middle to end. No tartness whatsoever, this one resembles more of a well-made blueberry fruit beer than a lambic. Barrel-aging is not at all apparent. Finishes fruity with a juicy, blueberry aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and with very little carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and messy and slightly dry at the finish and going down. Aftertaste lingers for a bit.

D: This one is honestly a bit of a disappointment. Not much of a lambic in any sense. No tartness, not really dry, and -bal effect is almost completely missing. A great fruit beer if it were described as such but in the category that it is, average to below average overall. (1,281 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into my stone taster. Thanks to Gonzoillini for sharing this!

Looks like a dream. A deep ruby red with very little head.

Smells like you would think, lots of blueberry.

Has a light blueberry flavor, not overpowering at all. Sweet blueberries. The few fruit lambics I have had, have been heavy on the fruit, but this is much lighter and more to my taste.

Average mouthfeel, light and watery.

Very drinkable. With the light fruit, and moderate sweetness make this a very drinkable lambic. (498 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my father-in-law for muling bottles of the most recent release. Shared at the post-Christmas tasting in Chicago. Served in my Cantillon tulip.

Pours a really magnificent blueberry color with a nice pink head. Really attractive coloring. While this was quite nice, I was immediately distractive by the overpoweringly-assertive nature of the blueberries in the nose. It was a symphony of blueberry breakfast items with loads of blueberry syrup and pancakes plus a slight amount of tartness. Really well done. The taste nails the fresh blueberry as well and adds in a touch of sourness. The mouthfeel is a bit tart and a bit sweet. Drinks incredibly well. I think the blueberries are the highlight of this one and I won't be waiting long to drink my other bottle. I think the fruit character that really makes this beer will be gone well before this really sours up, if that happens. (891 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11%

Poured from 750ml caged and corked bottle. Split with Lukafer. The only bottle out of the 3 Upland Lambics that didn't gush that night.

A- Pours what I would say a plum color with some light blue highlights. There is a light 1/4 figner purple head that dies to nothing in about ten seconds. No lacing on this beer which would have looked pretty in my opinion.

S- This had a light musty sour scent right off the bat. No real wood notes at all which I thought maybe this one would have. This isn't all vinegar and there is some light funk that goes along well with this beer. Blueberry did come out when I held this glass a little more high than I normally would when sniffing. Not bad smelling at all.

T- Blueberry in the front was a lovely surprise. This dies down toward the middle where there is a light funky vinegary sourness to the beer muddled with hints of bready base malts. This follows through to the ending where there becomes a light sugary blueberry flavor. The very end of this ends with a kiss of alcohol and a touch of vinegary sourness.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is very good for the beer. There is some funky vinegar notes with blueberry on the palate. The aftertaste is mostly sugary sweet blueberry with light warming alcohol that compliments the full aftertaste. This beer was the best blended from the Upland Lambics. No off flavors were present. Medium drying on the palate itself from the alcohol in each sip.

D- This beer was the only Upland Lambic that night that held any sort of light in the lambic world. It's flavors could have been a little brighter and more full but I think the fullness would come out more in a aged bottle. See Upland if you get your shit together you can make a decent lambic! (1,743 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Had at a post-Christmas tasting in Chicago, courtesy of thorpe429 (thanks Mike!). This was the latest bottling, batch 3.

It pours a dark blueish purple, no question this is blueberry, frothy colorful head, excellent appearance. And the smell, again no question this is a blueberry lambic. This presents with fresh blueberries much more than Blaebar where they're more muted. Some light funk, but the fruit takes the aroma.

I like the flavor but it isn't as good as the nose. Basically fresh berries and a little tart bite. No barnyard or other things I crave, but the tart aftertaste is appreciated.

Light carbonation, extremely drinkable, I liked it a lot. Persimmon was better in my opinion, but this is no slouch. (720 characters)

Blueberry Lambic from Upland Brewing Company